Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxyclean posted:

"JSS is bad because they put randos on blast for disagreeing with them" is a different argument then "JSS made fun of, and was slightly incorrect about my niche game with bad MTX"

the former has not come up until your last post.

If they're putting rando, non chuddy assholes on blast like that, that sucks. But also, I feel like "so and so's audience went too aggro on some random person" is something I've seen from a TON of content creators and how hardly they seem to be admonished for it sometimes feels like it's matter of how much slack goons want to cut them.

I don't think some gamer being bad means they're morally correct to get mad when people call them out when they just straight up lie in a video. Or for just enjoying things they didn't.

You seem to have a real difficulty with nuance, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

lying and purposefully misrepresenting something and being actively hostile to people who call that out as bullshit because the rent is due is bad op

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxyclean posted:

"JSS is bad because they put randos on blast for disagreeing with them" is a different argument then "JSS made fun of, and was slightly incorrect about my niche game with bad MTX"

She was more than “slightly” wrong. She was misrepresenting the whole fast travel and overland traversal system as something as miserable as a gancha game’s free grind, and a cynical ploy to buy cash shop items to warp places

It’s an open world game that wants you to walk around and explore nooks. It rewards you for doing this with piles of loot, materials to craft healing items, and engagement in the combat system you hopefully enjoy because it is the crux of the game. The world map isn’t that massive like Elden Ring either. It just feels large because you have to walk a lot of it. Or you can pay 100 gold to fast travel between settlements.

The items she rants about aren’t cash shop items, and the component for fast travel you can buy with real money is useless for early play because those items she complains about the in-game price of are indeed expensive for starting players.

You could evaluate (and have different levels of trust in) whether or not the game structuring its travel system to be nearly the same as Morrowind was totally independent of the microtransactions. It’s completely true that just having microtransactions in the game makes you consider if any given point of friction in the game is there to bait store purchases or not. It craters trust and that sucks. Spreading this misinformation is bad though because it’s going to give some new players the impression that they’ll need to pony up right at the start or turn off people for completely off-base reasons, and that sucks too.

E- Like if your twitter parting shot for the day is something as dumb as “If you say you like repeatedly going over the same pathways with the same enemy placement, you’re lying.” And writing off… god how many games and genres exist with pathways and fixed enemy placement? Everything besides other open world games with random spawns? then maybe you’ve backed yourself into the doo-doo head corner and need to reevaluate poo poo.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2024

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

for a while now most of sterling's output has consisted of summarized twitter controversies with with occasional jpeg overlay, special consideration given to whatever her website's comment section is mad about

I used to think that Woolie was being ridiculous when he said he didn’t want to use Patreon because he was afraid of his fanbase being able to dictate his content and lock him in place creatively. Now that I see what has happened to Sterling, I realize he was right and I was the fool.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I used to think that Woolie was being ridiculous when he said he didn’t want to use Patreon because he was afraid of his fanbase being able to dictate his content and lock him in place creatively. Now that I see what has happened to Sterling, I realize he was right and I was the fool.

I would say you are not the fool- look at RedLetterMedia who just does whatever the gently caress they want. Sterling is just creatively bankrupt

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I support plenty of creators on patreon who just use it for a tip jar and are like "I'm gonna do what I do and if you like that and want to support me here ya go" and that works great

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, Woolie is absolutely an idiot for not using patreon because that was part of his general plan to only rely on podcast ads and youtube revenue. Reminder that Pat basically had to use the jaws of life to make him stream, which is now probably the majority of his revenue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's like Thew, I spoke to him multiple times trying to get him to open a patreon and he was like "ehhhhhhhh I dunno mannnnn its a lot of responsibility" and when he finally loving did it he was able to outright quit the video editing job he had been working part time and do whatever he wanted to do full time and now he iirc lives in a house instead of a loft. All he really does with patreon is early videos, image galleries of the figures he reviews, and a shoutout to a random patron at the end of each video. Like it was a revelation, but he could've had that years earlier if he hadn't been stubborn. Same with woolie. The fear of patreon shackles is an absurdity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nuns with Guns posted:

She was more than “slightly” wrong. She was misrepresenting the whole fast travel and overland traversal system as something as miserable as a gancha game’s free grind, and a cynical ploy to buy cash shop items to warp places

It’s an open world game that wants you to walk around and explore nooks. It rewards you for doing this with piles of loot, materials to craft healing items, and engagement in the combat system you hopefully enjoy because it is the crux of the game. The world map isn’t that massive like Elden Ring either. It just feels large because you have to walk a lot of it. Or you can pay 100 gold to fast travel between settlements.

The items she rants about aren’t cash shop items, and the component for fast travel you can buy with real money is useless for early play because those items she complains about the in-game price of are indeed expensive for starting players.

You could evaluate (and have different levels of trust in) whether or not the game structuring its travel system to be nearly the same as Morrowind was totally independent of the microtransactions. It’s completely true that just having microtransactions in the game makes you consider if any given point of friction in the game is there to bait store purchases or not. It craters trust and that sucks. Spreading this misinformation is bad though because it’s going to give some new players the impression that they’ll need to pony up right at the start or turn off people for completely off-base reasons, and that sucks too.

E- Like if your twitter parting shot for the day is something as dumb as “If you say you like repeatedly going over the same pathways with the same enemy placement, you’re lying.” And writing off… god how many games and genres exist with pathways and fixed enemy placement? Everything besides other open world games with random spawns? then maybe you’ve backed yourself into the doo-doo head corner and need to reevaluate poo poo.

Its such a funny and desperate last retort. I've run through the same maps 100s of times killing monsters I've killed for nearly 20 years in monster hunter. I replay SotN at least once a year. People love that poo poo.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Being locked into only making certain types of content is absolutely a thing, but not having a Patreon can usually make that worse because you're even more dependent on the whims of the algorithm or streaming the right games to get views. There are creators, especially artists, who shoot themselves in the foot by thinking they are required to let Patrons have creative input by letting them vote on subjects etc. but that's a completely avoidable problem if you're just upfront about not wanting that to happen. People will still gladly give a dollar a month to let you just faff about, hell people keep giving money to Super Bunnyhop despite his output having slowed to a crawl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I still give money to nextlander and jeff gerstmann despite not viewing or listening to any of their stuff for a while now(just don't have the time anymore) because they did so much that I enjoyed for so long and I don't really mind chipping in a fiver a month to support them as thanks for the years of content they gave me. People really need to understand that if they have even a remotely decently sized community, that if even 5% of them have that mindset, they can pull a significant income off of past goodwill alone. Like super bunnyhop, as mentioned

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Clerical Terrors posted:

Being locked into only making certain types of content is absolutely a thing, but not having a Patreon can usually make that worse because you're even more dependent on the whims of the algorithm or streaming the right games to get views. There are creators, especially artists, who shoot themselves in the foot by thinking they are required to let Patrons have creative input by letting them vote on subjects etc. but that's a completely avoidable problem if you're just upfront about not wanting that to happen. People will still gladly give a dollar a month to let you just faff about, hell people keep giving money to Super Bunnyhop despite his output having slowed to a crawl.

Woolie: guys I just can't do a patreon then my fans may lock me into continuing to make a strict kind of content that I don't want to do 🥺
Also Woolie: Here's my new channel, Woolie VS the algorithm 😎

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Captain Invictus posted:

The fear of patreon shackles is an absurdity.

I suspect part of it may be ignorance being bliss. If you're of a certain mindset you're going to be checking those numbers and metrics all the drat time and I could easily see it running and ruining ones life if they let it. If you can just properly tip jar it and not worry about it then it's super ideal; this works better though if your brand is "I'm going to do whatever I want regardless" al la RLM and so on.

The "Number" is always there and go up/down based on your actions regardless but it being more ephemeral makes it easier to ignore. Stream revenue and engagement and similar has a natural bit of volatility to it so external factors can be attributed to things you have no control over. Patreon is just you and you alone buddy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Happy 10 Years of the 3 Bs

https://twitter.com/NightmareModeGo/status/1455641025377079296

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Aged like a fine wine.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Patreon is like picking a top tier character in a fighting game, so Woolie will probably never do it.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Warbird posted:

I suspect part of it may be ignorance being bliss. If you're of a certain mindset you're going to be checking those numbers and metrics all the drat time and I could easily see it running and ruining ones life if they let it. If you can just properly tip jar it and not worry about it then it's super ideal; this works better though if your brand is "I'm going to do whatever I want regardless" al la RLM and so on.

The "Number" is always there and go up/down based on your actions regardless but it being more ephemeral makes it easier to ignore. Stream revenue and engagement and similar has a natural bit of volatility to it so external factors can be attributed to things you have no control over. Patreon is just you and you alone buddy.

Woolie seems like he’s pretty neurotic, so I can see this.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
https://www.twitch.tv/woolieversus/clip/SparklyZanyEggDatSheffy-zkKduKy5Qbjgg13c

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"can't believe reggie pooped himself on stream before pat did" indeed

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

"I need you on your A-Game, and this is what I get!"

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I finished up Woolie Half-Life 2 and...thank god it's over. That was painful. A disaster of an lp. Was like watching someone get stuck on The Talos Principle every 10 minutes, but it's not a hard puzzle game it's a linear set-piece shooter. It was kinda ruining Woolie for me by making him look dense in a way I wasn't enjoying. I don't want to see him do Episodes 1 and 2. I don"t want to see him explore outside his known genres anymore much as I enjoyed his Doom playthroughs. I for sure don't want to see him and Reggie fighting the urge to vomit. I don't like making negative posts and I"m not a hate watcher but my goat was got this time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you don't need to watch LPs you don't enjoy, just skip em if they're that unfun for you. jesus

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

you don't need to watch LPs you don't enjoy, just skip em if they're that unfun for you. jesus

he had a bad time and wrote very descriptively what he didn't like about it. there's nothing wrong with this post dude

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
but like...if he's not enjoying it, why did he stick with it the entire way through? I guess I just don't have the time to devote to things I don't like these days so I can't understand enduring it for...what was the total runtime for it, like 15 hours? 20? especially if that specific LP would turn you off of an entertainer you otherwise like entirely, just write it off and watch his other stuff that you do enjoy. He says it wasn't a hate-watch, but it certainly felt like it by how he described it and literally saying he doesn't want Woolie to branch out of his comfort zone because of how much he didn't like this LP, which I STRONGLY disagree with.

I've been having the twitch VODs on in the background at work and just got to the end of the boat section VOD, and I'm liking it. He's not familiar with the game and is having trouble with it for sure, but it's not a dealbreaker for me and I'm liking him seeing the origins of various game staples like physics puzzles and stuff.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Honestly, I get not liking it, that playthrough got kind of frustrating to watch sometimes. Personally, if it seems like Woolie is still engaged and having a good time, that's good enough for me. I appreciate that he's willing to branch out a bit and play games that he's not necessarily familiar with or good at if they interest him enough, and it's been fun watching him get into Half-Life without knowing much about it beforehand.

I still don't quite get how easily he gets motion sick though. It sucks because it definitely hurt his enjoyment of the game and made it take even longer to get through than it normally would have.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
motion sickness affects people differently, I definitely knew people with the doom walls thing he has that would make them get nearly vomitous in reaction to it. I remember this because of that rat in a maze screensaver on old computers and friends who would just see that and have to look away IMMEDIATELY. I'm not quite sure what causes it, I'm sure people have done studies about that specific aspect somewhere.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tae posted:

No, Woolie is absolutely an idiot for not using patreon because that was part of his general plan to only rely on podcast ads and youtube revenue. Reminder that Pat basically had to use the jaws of life to make him stream, which is now probably the majority of his revenue.

This entire tangent is loving funny in hindsight as of today's Versus Wolves drop.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

motion sickness affects people differently, I definitely knew people with the doom walls thing he has that would make them get nearly vomitous in reaction to it. I remember this because of that rat in a maze screensaver on old computers and friends who would just see that and have to look away IMMEDIATELY. I'm not quite sure what causes it, I'm sure people have done studies about that specific aspect somewhere.

I remember hearing it was particularly a thing in Japan, which is why first person games weren't so popular there. But Valorant's huge there IIRC, so maybe that was bullshit all along.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

A lot of it has to do with how 90's and early 00's PC FPS games were designed to be played on small 17-19" 4:3 CRT monitors running at like 85-100hz, or a tube/rear projection TV at like 480p max. A lot of the tearing, stuttering, fisheye effect, etc was effectively smoothed by using those displays, where playing them on a modern 65" OLED TV just magnifies the visual flaws. Widescreen specifically makes the source engine's fisheye effect twice as bad; I know someone that was only able to play the co-op version of Portal 2 because the co-op screen was split side-by-side and the 2 screens were narrow enough that they didn't feel the fisheye effect. However, they couldn't even play 5 minutes of single player Portal 2, HL2, or Portal 1, regardless of FOV, resolution, or framerate settings. They have no issue with most other recent FPS games, so there's something about the source engine that gives certain people the bends.

I'm amazed that Woolie and Reggie managed to finish that run, unfortunately this is just going to give John a bunch more game recommendations to hold over Woolie's head during VS Wolves.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

claw game handjob posted:

This entire tangent is loving funny in hindsight as of today's Versus Wolves drop.

lol I was thinking the same thing

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't know if anything has made me laugh as hard this week as everything following the words "John, you clearly have A Type."

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I get really bad motion sickness from a lot of FPS games, and sometimes even 3rd person shooters because of things like FOV or repetitive environments. I almost had to stop RE4 Remake because I was just about to throw up after the bingo line, until I installed a mod that cramked the FOV past 11.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Monitor Burn mentioned it, but Source in particular has motion sickness issues. I'm a fan of shooters from way back, and even people who have no motion sickness issues can have trouble with HL2. I've seen people theorize that the floatiness of the movement may have something to do with it, but that's all speculation.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

For some reason, the only FPS that gives me motion sickness is the Xbox 360 remaster of Perfect Dark, and only the remaster. I can play the original N64 game just fine in all its 12 fps glory, but this 1080p/60fps version violently disagrees with me.

I can also play the leaked 360 remaster of GoldenEye 007 without any issues despite that being very similar to the Perfect Dark remaster, so there's something about the movement or environments in Perfect Dark specifically that triggers the problem.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2F2rF1Bs-A&t=4993s

Hey can someone here send this to abaddon and request him to tweet back to woolie or something?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The man is a father now please do not message him every time a youtuber talks about his stuff.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2F2rF1Bs-A&t=4993s

Hey can someone here send this to abaddon and request him to tweet back to woolie or something?

He already knows and has been listening to the podcast for years

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1773857991697084524

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MagusDraco posted:

He already knows and has been listening to the podcast for years

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1773857991697084524
Woolie is True Royalty all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
So out of curiosity, how spoilery is the Vinland Saga talk on the latest episode of Versus Wolves? I'm like halfway through Season 1, so should I just avoid it and skip to the end, or am I safe to listen to it?