Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm just saying, you dont see a creative rpg developer like Bioware being forced to make a games-as-a-service shooter for EA.

Is it me; am I the dummy for missing the joke? Because this is literally happening right now.

e: gently caress i got exposed

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

HoboTech posted:

Refusing to admit a game could get better over time, even though he plays loving WARFRAME and FFXIV was some willful ignorance poo poo. I still haven't gotten through the most recent episode, partly because of that. Is it just me?

These two are very expensive miracle cases that not only most of the world wrote off originally, but each took about three years to crawl out of the shell that people disregarded originally.

Pat's right.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

How many people like action games but find them too challenging to enjoy versus the same but instead it's puzzle games?

I know a lot of people who "casually" enjoy action-oriented games but I've never met a single person in my life who plays puzzle games on the regular that isn't attuned with a particular kind of problem-solving mindset. They either really enjoy puzzle games and play a whole lot of them, or they really don't and avoid the whole category like the plague.

I know a lot of Puzzle-Majors/Action-Minors, but not a single person in any of my circles is Action-Major/Puzzle-Minor. Not to say they don't exist, but I play a lot of dang video games and I figure I'd run into a few here or there at some point.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Andrast posted:

Hi, that's me

That checks out. I just treat FEH as a numbers game anyway because I'm dumb :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks! Yeah it was a real hosed up thing to say, and Woolie's total deflation from the WOOF was totally justified. Christ, pat. We know he's got almost no filter, but goddamn, "giant bomb died with ryan, vinny should have stayed on the west coast" is some callous poo poo and also writes off all the great stuff gb's done since

Isn't this idea pretty much exactly what the thread on these very forums drift[s/ed] towards?

(Dan Ryckert is worse than Patrick Boivin will ever be)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Worth every penny. :allears:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Roth posted:

And yet, Ender is gay now.

Wait, the last time I checked he was literally trying to shack up with his tulpa waifu, did they pivot on that?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah seriously he gets so close to realizing that these companies suck and capitalism is bad

Improbable Lobster posted:

Go lick boots somewhere else

sir, this is a mcdonalds

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Liam can never reconnect with Pat or he'll have to pay up on the bet he made that PSO2 will ever release outside of Japan.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Good thing Liam's anxiety prevents him from ever looking at the words "Pat" on a screen without having an attack so he'll never actually claim on the bet :homebrew:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

Just wanted to say his opinion on ffxiv black mage is stupid and based on memes and any black mage with three brain cells to rub together has better mobility than red mage. That is all

1. this is mega hyperbole
2. three brain cells is a lot

Planning your BLM spells per fight, IE the thing that actually creates the skill ceiling on that job, gives you pretty good mobility (namely "as much as you could possibly need") but saying "better than RDM" is crazy because BLM's various tools (even the ones coming up in 5.0) can't compare to jolt/fire/stone stutterstepping, Dualcast, and the melee interjection.

Also, RDM doesn't even require two brain cells to exploit their inherent mobility. :shepface:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

I dunno, swifcast/triplecast/thunder 3 procs/random and guaranteed fire procs/infinite teleports has to be at least pretty close in mobility to every other cast being free, especially because you can save some of those things for windows where you know you'll have to move

Sharp/Swift/Triple are all 60s (and in most fights are best used right away in the opener, so you're dead in the water for a little while outside of teleport) and your primary damage spell (Fire4) has a cast time that is greater than the GCD so you don't get anything beyond the distance of your stutterstep (unlike RDM where the short spells/skills are lower than the GCD so they get an extra second of free movement even ignoring dualcast giving them a whole extra several seconds to move freely per spell). Sharp and Swift are fine to squat on for reactionary usage after the opener but letting Triple and Leylines desync means you're slowly whittling your own burst potential out of a fight due to that particular quirk of F4 (if you want to get real nerdy, using your instant casts on anything other than F4 at all also does this).

Teleport is fantastic utility but isn't really anything that increases your own ability to be mobile, as it depends fully on other folks in your party to do the moving FOR you. People who have freedom of movement have the same propensity to preposition ahead of time as they do to move at the last second, and only one of those options is helpful for you when you're slavsquatting in your Taunt Circle or otherwise preoccupied with no happenstance procs/<x>cast to buffer with.

BLM will not (and optimally can't, because leylines and unmodified astral phases specifically restrict your freedom of movement) be as mobile as any other class, and comparing it to the caster job that might as well be a Bard that briefly stops to check their stopwatch every 4 seconds is intensely unfavorable. Mobility options will improve significantly with 5.0 giving you a 30s Sharpcast and Xenoglossy being an instant cast you can bank every 30s as well, but doesn't fundamentally change that your core rotation from lv60+ demands you root yourself for between 3 to 30 seconds while dealing damage and pretty much every other job is free from this constraint.

BLM owns and has the best numbers but absolutely requires those three brain cells and very much earned its nom de guerre of "turret mage".

Emalde fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 19, 2019

Emalde
May 3, 2007

It's a shame Liam insists on doing the majority of his content solo because with even one other person around he's probably the funniest person in any given video.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

New Pokemon Snap is so exactly what I've wanted for decades I worry where the monkey's paw is. It's not like photographic rail shooter is an overdone genre.

It has exactly as much content/playtime as Snap 64 :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Bee posted:

Doesn't it have at least, like, three times the Pokemon?

The monkey's paw curls.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

When Matt used to post here he would regularly vent about Pat doing stuff that would piss him off.

Getting mad about Pat not going to every con, when Pat would routinely talk about succumbing to anxiety and needing to hide in bathrooms to decompress whenever going anywhere, was an eye-opener into their dynamic and I wish I had saved the post before he edited out that particular rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Dabir posted:

Pat is absolutely right about co-op board games. I've been that guy in my one and only family game of Pandemic, and that's why we don't play Pandemic. Co-op board games just don't work unless everyone really tries to force them to work. You need hidden information or extra bonus goals or one player being the antagonist or something.

Hidden information is only as hidden as the most experienced player allows it to be in the first place.

It's up to you as the tryhard to, well, not.