Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Liam was getting harassed like constantly for not carefully walking Woolie through every sidequest and playing the game flawlessly so that's not shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah the Nier Automata LP just didn't work for me, I watched more and more of it over time, gave it more chances, but Woolie being blind even with someone trying to guide him some, Liam doing the "I can't wait for this next part" thing a lot, Liam sandbagging really good sidequests, Woolie using a not very good chip set (No damage and a bunch of regen) and then griping about at-level enemies having too much health, Liam talking over dialogue constantly for a while, Liam giving Woolie bad info pretty often which would lead to other dumb things, it felt like one of those LPs where one person claims to know the game and then when it's go time sort of maybe remembers some cliffnotes sometimes.

And obviously Liam didn't deserve a bunch of nerdlingers acting lovely to them, but the LP was pretty scuffed a lot of the time because it felt like they would keep railroading Woolie, it wasn't 'Not doing every sidequest' it was "No-no that's not important *To really good sidequests that actually clarify or add something to the main story*" over and over, while also giving him entirely wrong tips at times, which would further bungle Woolie's abilities.

Eh, the half understood/half remembered bumble thoughs were always the most entertaining to me, like Pat walking Woolie through DS1/2, but apparently he got a lot of poo poo from people on those that made him loathe the Soulsborne fans, so maybe some of it is also just the nature of fandoms that crop up around large franchises with expansive background lore and lots of missable content.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Reclines Obesily posted:

the guy who hates bloodbourne. he was in pats chat making GBS threads on the remakes combat being too hype and not like the original

Plague hates every soulsborne game post DS1 and even DS1 is "on notice" because he liked the slow plodding pace of combat and exploration in Demon's Souls, but the FromSoft of our timeline realized fast, aggressive combat was more fun.

Dias posted:

Plague is the prototypical Old Nerd: hates change, everything from "back in the day" is better, everything they thought were bad "back in the day" is not passible of analysis.

He's a joyless nitpicker at the best of times, and I'm sure he'd be proud of that title. People were talking about the Demon's Souls stream the SBFs did a while ago in the the thread, and really the majority of it was fine. The first episode had a few too many people riding shotgun to Woolie, but they cut down the numbers after that. Plague was the only one I remember making lots of obnoxious, unfunny attempts at jokes in the first play session.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't understand the gun discussion but Demon's Souls is substantially easier than DS3 and Bloodborne, if only because almost half of the boss fights are one-note puzzles and not actually fights against bosses. Unless you mean in terms of the ability for newcomers to experience the game and play it because it does have by far the most opaque game mechanics and upgrade paths and poo poo. The careful dungeon crawling of the older games is fun, but Sekiro is also fun. Thank goodness there's a lot of imitators out there now who are iterating on both. :)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Magna Kaser posted:

Sekiro is p different and I feel weird including it here since Demons->DS->Bloodborne share so much DNA and the skills you pick up in one are very transferrable to the others, where Sekiro is a different beast and going in with the mindset you had for those other games will actively work against you. I also didn't get stuck in Sekiro nearly as much as I did in Demons Souls or DS1, but I had a similar mini-arc where I hit a wall on that spear dude by the tower for a while and once the combat clicked and I beat him the whole game got a lot easier (and more fun).

Sekiro is close to Bloodborne, if you were someone playing a fast weapon and doing a lot of gun parries, but leaning even harder into parries and unhitching you from the limitations set by the stamina bar. Bloodborne's build variety still offered more combat options than Sekiro's skills and shinobi tools though.

I'm curious how Elden Ring will end up looking after Sekiro moved in the direction it did.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Andrast posted:

Parrying in sekiro is more like blocking in dark souls rather than souls parrying

You can spam parries and get by fine so long as you're not doing a charmless run, but the game still wants you to get the perfect timing down like any good Bloodborne parry. Bloodborne parries were already pretty different and more widely applicable than the Souls games liked being with parries though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Andrast posted:

You have like 30 frames for the perfect deflect it in Sekiro which is way more than the souls games (also it comes almost instantly compared to the slight delay in souls)

I feel like we're not disagreeing at all here?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I very rarely viscerally react to a tv show I'm watching but that right there made me jump out of my seat and shout OH COME THE gently caress ON ARE YOU SERIOUS

I don't know if the rest of korra is good or not because I stopped watching after that scene.

Season 2 feels very much like an impromptu puppet show they had to slap together quick after they realized the show was renewed against all odds, except for the bit about the first Avatar. I'm not a fan of the retcon/origin story they went for with the Avatar but I don't think most people care. Season 3 is substantially better. Season 4 is alright but you could tell they were rushing it because they'd finally been given a hard deadline on top of Nickelodeon doing its best to undermine and gently caress with the show's airing schedule constantly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nalesh posted:

More that she works with some I think? I forget how that whole thing is linked, some kinda stage/podcast/radio bullshit or something. All I remember is that she owned one of them in a mustard chugging competition.

She works with Asterios Kokkinos (yes, the one that use to post front page articles here until people made fun of him) and they're friends with Dick Masterson, whose online gimmick was basically being a proto men's rights activist before real idiots started sincerely voicing the same opinions in large online communities. She was invited onto the Ralph Retort's Killstream podcast through them and got into a bunch of twitter arguments because it's stupid as gently caress to go onto an alt-right guy's awful podcast even if you disagree with him politically, and Paige has never found a hill she wasn't willing to die on rather than admit something's a terrible idea.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Matt and Woolie's blind reactions to the final boss and Falco reveals in Star Fox Adventures is up there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfSEYWoXQ4&t=462s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Pat's hyperventilating at Return of the Obra Dinn right now, too:

https://twitch.tv/patstaresat

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yardbomb posted:

I really agree with the "Please for the love of god stop purposefully 'breeding' dogs whose skulls and hips and spines are so thoroughly destroyed and warped at this point" thing, but like Zangief doesn't even look like he's got any of that or at least not in any bad sense, like say the poor pugs who no matter how sweet they are, pretty much come guaranteed wrecked on the inside by this point, as well as the other thought of "He already exists and seems like a happy living creature, if he's not in some state of suffering or terrible impairment, then gently caress off" though.

Zangief is an English Bulldog, which (if they're bred to adhere to the breed standard) can't functionally reproduce. Like, the only way to breed ones that fit the standard is through artificial insemination and cesarean sections because there's no way to produce puppies through their narrow hip structure otherwise without a very serious risk of birthing complications. They tend to be like, several thousand dollars to cover the medical costs in all that, so no idea if Pat & Paige would spend that much on a puppy. If they went through a random backyard breeder who doesn't work to fit the standard and can somehow have natural births, alright I guess? It's still not a great solution but there's not really a completely "pure ethical way" to get an English Bulldog aside from a rescue. I'm not going to drag them for that though, since it's the kind of niche dog issue I don't expect a lot of people to know or care about.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 10, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

seriously this is the actual reality. Be mad at breeders, bad breeders suck rear end and yes if you go to a puppy mill you're supporting a bad system (not saying they did, just as a thing in general), but none of that changes that even if 'the worst' is true then there's still a dog who maybe has some hosed up problems who needs a loving home, so either we're going full on crazy 'throw them off a bridge for the good of the breed' or people can just stop trying to internet detective a pretty believable story of 'a friend's dog had puppies and we wanted a puppy, the end'.

Like, what's those people's ideal end scenario? Some dramatic confession and then...them just going back to taking care of a dog?

I don't know how Pat or Paige got the dog, and I don't know what pitch of foaming crazy people are at over it or care to find out but pet drama is always bad so I expect it's ugly.

Like, on a broader level the most reasonable stance would be to not engage with the system at all or push for revisions of breeding practices away from frankly dangerous standards that prioritizes extreme body shapes over health or the ability to function. It's not that far removed from debates you see about whether or not it's ethical to engage with Harry Potter/Dungeons and Dragons/Walmart/whatever Twitter is mad about this hour, if it perpetuates and empowers harmful practices, even if the harm's already done albeit in a different way and with "victims" who aren't intellectually cognizant enough to do anything besides ask for tummy rubs and look adorable.

Anyway, thank you for reading this high intensity discussion in the Dog Breeding Thread on SA.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ButterSkeleton posted:

I think Pat and Paige likely just adopted a (living, breathing, feeling) cute puppy they liked and did not consider the evils of generations of dog breeding.

Yes, you got my point, good job.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ultimately, I hope Paige can fulfill her dream of making Zangief a great therapy dog to visit children in hospitals with. :unsmith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
She bought him raw goat milk to moisten his kibble and improve his intestinal health, please get your facts straight

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Liam hasn't closed up shop, as far as I know, he's just busy in game dev college living his best life.

I watch Pat and Woolie's stuff sometimes, and Liam's solo streams were great. The times Pat and Woolie either go for something very offbeat like Pat's Vampire: Bloodlines and Woolie's Thousand Year Door playthroughs, or the times they play things they really love like Resident Evil or Devil May Cry are enjoyable. Matt and Liam's collab LPs like Clock Tower 3 and the Sonic games are entertaining, but I don't watch Matt's scripted stuff much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like Paige finally finished playing through the base game of DS2 after a year and opted to skip the DLC and a few optional bosses at the end. She wants to jump into DS3, which will be interesting since the bosses are going to be a lot harder on her than the base DS2 ones are.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shinji2015 posted:

I think DS3's combat was a bit easier, mostly due to being post-Bloodborne and FromSoft applying a bunch of lessons from that game to 3. 3 also being a lot more linear doesn't help anything; there's hardly ever a point where you're going "hmm, what do I do now?"

Being more linear isn't a bad thing, but I liked being able to go wherever in DS2, whereas DS3 points you in a direction and says "Go this way and don't stop."

They all have their own pros and cons to me, like Des, DS1 and 2, and Bloodborne to a degree all have that fun "I need to plan a route to get this weapon I want to try out" aspect that you can't get in 3 as much since it has much firmer gates to different areas. But maybe that'll be better for Paige to have to sit down and deal with a boss blocking her path when she can't give up and try somewhere else as much? Like the Executioner's Chariot was the 2nd to last boss she beat because she kept getting sad and asking to go somewhere else. It'll be interesting to see how long she takes on the final endgame DLC bosses in 3.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

scary ghost dog posted:

ds2 was clearly rushed and had a lot of last minute changes. i wouldnt be surprised if elevator destinations got moved around

It was probably meant to move down instead, at the very least. In the initial reveal trailer there was even footage that implies they originally intended for the Iron Keep to have a whole walk up lava zone where the manikins hung out with their cool masks on.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yardbomb posted:

*Sits and talks about how some rock in Dark Souls 2 is so misplaced and it's why a game is bad for two hours*

To be uh "fair" he also dislikes Bloodborne, DS3, and probably Sekiro because he's from some dark mirror universe that loves the turtle-y dungeon crawler aspect of the DeS and DS1.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, sure, but also, gendering nouns and conjugating verbs.

We conjugate verbs in English, too. We're doing that right now as we exchange words. The gendering nouns thing is a legacy most of the Romance languages inherited from Latin. French happens to be particularly fucky-looking because Spanish and Italian pronunciation don't have silent letters as often as English or French and as many other pronunciation indicators English people struggle parsing. (They trade that for fiendish tongue rolling!)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I swear something like this got uploaded years ago and it really set off pat's paranoia of his various verbal tics like that. Wasn't there a video similar to that one from during the sbf days?

And that's some dedication to painstakingly scrape through every single episode for each instance of those lines, dang.

There was a super cut of it at the end of one of the fan compilations of highlights from the DS2 lp. It might even have been that exact one that someone cut out into a separate clip. People were also pointing it out on reddit or something because Pat started remarking on it when he slipped up and said it later in the recordings.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rody One Half posted:

Watching Paige play soulsborne is weird (I'm on her DS2 stream), because like, I've never watched a Souls playthrough where the player literally internalizes... NOTHING. She retains nothing about controls, level layouts, enemy types, story. It just goes in one ear and out the other, and even while it is briefly there she processes things in only the vaguest sense.

She's had some medical complications that she's admitted hurt her ability to process things (strokes and seizures) and she said in one of the DS3 streams she's had a hard time getting her ADHD medication since the pandemic started. She is much better at navigating herself when Pat isn't hassling her and getting her worked up though. When he's around she just lets him pilot and doesn't absorb anything about the enemies or level layouts.

UP AND ADAM posted:

The way these guys play the souls game on stream with like, someone giving them hints and guiding them around, is so different from the experience I've had with the games that I can't fault woolie or Paige from getting dizzy and confused. Let the player play!

Eh, a completely blind blunder-through isn't usually the best for a Let's Play. So many of the iconic moments in the Souls games are tied to easily missed events, NPCs, or hidden areas, and those are the things viewers want to see blind reactions to from new players. It's also easy in the older games to gently caress up your build or something in the world and make the game pretty hard, and then everyone gets annoyed at you because of that.

Woolie let Reggie figure out the important stuff on his own in Demon's Souls. He'd reserve help for advice on builds or where to go when he was hopelessly lost. That's not really any different than swapping tips online or with friends the way the games were designed around encouraging.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Was it seriously omikron that did it?

In addition to what everyone else said, Matt and I think maybe Woolie or Liam agreed Omikron was the best LP they ever did together. So it’s there’s clearly some fond memories there you wouldn’t expect if it actually broke them apart.

They broke up because they all wanted to do different things and personality clashes reached a breaking point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm wrapping up the main story of Nioh 2 and I'll jump into the DLC afterwards. My comments are: combat does feel really great. The ki pulse/stance swapping rhythm and when to slot in special attacks are all fun and satisfying and technical in a way more in line with learning Monster Hunter weapons than Dark Souls. I like the flexibility of its respeccing and I know it lets you get even more technical with reallocating damage scaling on weapons that opens up a huge variety of builds.

I don't really dig the Diablo/looter shooter item drop system. It doesn't matter much on base NG, I know, but it's annoying inventory cleanup between missions at this point. The mission setup is kind of repetitive, even if the optional ones are preeminently skippable, but the game is built with it in mind and it'd be a big changeup to things like the healing system and way you acquire equipment and soul cores if it was a seamless overworld you run around in. The kind of changes that would definitely take a bite out of the way combat and builds feel good. I wouldn't mind if it let you warp between shrines on some of the big mission levels in case you missed something and fell into a point of no return though.

I don't really blame Pat for dropping off. I'm enjoying the combat and related systems enough to keep playing but nothing else is making me stick with it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 27, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think what really click Nioh2 for me over DS3 which I bounced off 3 times before finally getting through it ... was that Nioh at least gives you some ability to actually control enemy movement and positioning. If I needed to get a guy to a spot or to pivot around him I can do that with some technical skill and moves. Dark souls always felt like you're kind of just at the mercy of whatever the AI decides is pathfinding today so if they decide to physics to the side and put you in a bad spot you're usually just kind of hosed unless you're using one of the weapons with any area control.

I do like how different weapons will have moves like pole-vaulting, or catching and reeling enemies into you in Nioh 2. Overall, honestly, it also reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter in that the story and all the systems are just functional trappings around the fights. I'm cool with that, but I could see how that's not something that'd be very streamable for a full playthrough.

Dias posted:

I mean, I've pretty much established that Souls Fans Are The Worst, that's independent of what game they prefer, so...

I played a bit of the first Nioh and Ubisoft's granular upgrades just made it feel like it was a Dark Souls with more busywork.

Imo there's worse fandoms than Souls, but there was no reason to start a DS2 vs DS3 slapfight. Everyone's got different Goldilocks-testing-porridge reactions to all the games. (Also Bloodborne is the best one anyway.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxyclean posted:

Bloodborne has blood vials and being trapped on ps4 going against it tho

Like idk why you would walk back from a great design like estus

They've never quite perfected how estus works tbh. The Rite of Kindling giving you 15-20 chugs in DS1 unbalanced it. DS2 was stingy for a long time and broke the healing with infinite lifegems early on. DS3 wants you to choose between healing health and magic, but nobody bothers with that and carts around 15 chugs again by the end anyway.

Ironically, I wish the blood vials worked more like Nioh's healing system, where you can set up situations that auto-buy more blood vials if you run out or you get freebies by finding some secrets in the level. But it'd require some reworking, since the primary way you get a back stock of healing elixirs is feeding your leftover Diablo trash loot to the kodama shrine.

Dias posted:

Agreed, Bloodborne is dope + good.

I think I'd enjoy the Souls series more if I played like an rear end in a top hat and tried to speedrun the game, my experiences were 20min of dredging thru an area, dying, repeating, etc. It's why I think the whole "don't use the Drake Sword" spiel doesn't make sense, the game isn't fair, I wanna break it in turn.

I think the Drake Sword is fine if you like it. The problem is that it's a newbie trap because people don't upgrade other weapons or properly improve their damage stats because they're used to the sword's flat raw damage carrying through, and that falls off at an almost perfectly-timed point around when a normally-upgraded longsword or whatever and improved stats will outdamage it. If you're using it in the early game while you're working on your other stats and weapons, heck go for it. The 2-handed R2 is fun as heck to hit with.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxyclean posted:

Eh, I think DS1 estus works fine from the perspective a new player who might not realize they can just get 15-20 chugs at every bonfire, and even then, it's just that "easy mode is already built it" stuff grogs get mad about when you suggest a difficulty select wouldn't hurt the game.

Estus is by no means perfect across the games, but blood vials just feels like a step back - having to stop and grind out vials because you end up using them faster then you're getting them, sucks. Maybe they could have had a system where the first 10 each life were free to better work with the "you always get 10" when you have none?

Since the Souls talk is still going, I'm just going to note that I think the blood vials and estus have kind of inverse problems. When you're new, running out of blood vials in Bloodborne sucks. You don't know you should be banking vials with leftover blood echoes, you don't know a good way to get more fast, and you'll inevitably hit a boss who chews through you enough times that you need to take a farming break. That's all not very fun.

When you're good or experienced with Bloodborne, you don't use vials as much, tapering off the need to farm. And when you do, you might have some chalices unlocked, or the hacked chalices, or just progress a sufficient way into the game to get to an easy farming spot you only need to run once to get blood echoes for more.

Meanwhile with Dark Souls (especially 1 and 3, I feel) you start out with a fair amount and it's fairly paced for level progression and boss runs, at least up through 10 chugs. Newbies could maybe use 15, but by the end experienced players don't really "need" that many. They become band-aids for sloppy play, and that's not necessarily bad. But it does mean a boss who by all rights should've beat you into the ground a few more times until you could understand how to properly dodge or counter them, you instead can just heal through. DS2's life gems cause a similar issue (which is also related to DeS' healing grass problem) where you can cart around 99 of them and overheal on everything.

I felt like Sekiro was too stingy with healing to start with, but honestly they might have been right to cap you forever at 10 gourd chugs, 3 healing pellets, and a handful of rare emergency heals. That plus the very firm cap on how much health and posture you can get means you really have to focus on avoiding damage, particularly on iterative play throughs or charmless runs where you take chip damage on mistimed parries.

Anyway, to bring this back around, a delightful thing happened during the first Nioh 2 stream. Paige made Pat a beautiful little charcuterie plate of cheeses and fruits. Then Zangief threw all his toys somewhere he couldn't reach so that Pat would stand up to get them. And then....

https://clips.twitch.tv/ProudDeadBillM4xHeh-Dfwe2eKqXx0WLn6z

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Lot of talk about toppling the British Monarchy in the Dark Souls podcast thread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

a key recurring figure in everhood is literally a Buddha, woolie’s not the smartest lad

See, if Woolie ever actually managed to finish Sekiro and then follow up with watching some 18-hour lore videos explaining Sekiro he would've been better prepared for this.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Woolie and Pat always fixate on the granular differences in outfit defenses in the Soulsborne games. Like even during the Bloodborne playthrough they only changed when something looked so rad to them that they could ignore the defense changes, but even then they'd agonize over incremental differences before deciding to deal with it.

And they also kept selling all the armors they weren't using, leading to them selling the #iconic Bloodborne hunter set lol.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah he was also insistent on not letting Matt upgrade his stock shotgun, because you pick up a better shotgun layer. But Pat forgets how late you get that gun and I think they ended up running past it anyway.

He couldn't remember what island in the Problematic Tribal Swamp Level had the shotgun on it and iirc after spending a lot of recording time bumbling around he finally had to pull up a guide to find it. It was funny from an outsider view watching Pat 「Crazy Talk」through the game, but Matt seemed annoyed.

Basically, if you want to watch Pat lightly coach someone through RE5, the replay he did with Paige a couple years ago is a lot better.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Mass Effect is fascinating in that half the time it talks about how Space Racism is bad. Then the other half the time it talks about how Vorcha are biologically incapable of being civilized and the games really, really want you to know it's okay to hate Batarians because everything about them is trash. It'll be interesting to see how Woolie and Reggie navigate that because I don't think those things crop up until ME 2 & 3.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You're forgetting the ME1 dlc where batarians try to destroy a major colony

See, I couldn't remember if that was an ME1 DLC or if I was thinking of the ME2 DLC where you have to do that dumb Trolley Problem of warning the Batrians about dangers to their colonies or not. The one that sets up the start of ME3 where no matter what the Batarians are mad at you and have you put on trial for war crimes.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 4, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah batarians are lovely from the jump but there are good natarians in 3 to try and balance it out. They aren't genetically predisposed towards evil or anything, it's just that the only batarians who leave the Terminus Systems are pirates and slavers because the actual government is full on isolationist.

also I'm playing through the trilogy again because of the LP and there's so much poo poo I forgot that I can't wait to see Reggie react to, like the whole Zhu's Hope sequence.

Even if there are some nice ones, it's still a race Bioware designed where slavery is so integral to their rigid caste system that they consider anti-slavery laws to be specific discrimination against them. Someone on the writing staff thought they were being very clever.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There should have been a volus on your ship to hang out with, a hanar to romance, and an elcor squadmate on a hoverboard, but Bioware are cowards.

Also I can't wait for 2026 when Woolie finally gets to Mass Effect 3 and meets Ninja McWiddlesinplants.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like Kasumi because she's funny and her special means that mechanically she teleports behind guys and one-shots them. Her loyalty mission is also super fun. I kept wondering if Bioware gated the two actually-interesting human party members pre-3 to DLC intentionally or if they were just that stupid. It's impossible to say.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Moose King posted:

Wasn't Red Shepard an Infiltrator? The ME2 class literally built around sitting in cover and plinking at enemies, complete with a Go Invisible/Plink Harder button, and the special ability that makes the world goes into bullet time when you use your sniper scope?

He was playing Infiltrator in ME1, so it didn't have any of the cool abilities. Instead he was suffering from the ME1 quirk of being a class that comes with the hacking and decryption skills, forgetting to actually put points in them for a while, and having to haul around party members to open safes or hack computers for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm glad Woolie is playing on Normal. I recently did a replay of ME1 on Normal and then again on Insanity because I missed the DLC and didn't like my Shepard's looks much. Then I started making headway on a ME2 replay on Insanity before taking a Monster Hunter break. Insanity does make the fights interesting instead of dull speedbumps. But the game has my full attention, I don't mind trying to abusing narrow openings to funnel enemies to me, and I know how to combo team abilities to do poo poo.

A hypothetical Woolie blind first playthrough LP stream on Insanity where he's also trying to bounce off a co-host would end up being really dull. It'd mostly involve him hiding behind crates and cautiously repeating the same fights for hours. Vanguard rushing into a bunch of robots like a doofus is entertaining at least.