Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dias posted:

Lore states that Pat and Woolie were actually the Original Best Friends, Matt and Liam just really hit it off when Liam became a part of the channel.

Basically Pat and Woolie were super good friends for a long time. Matt tried to get Woolie in on a Kirby video and Woolie wasn't able to but "Hey I know a guy" and roped Pat into it instead and that's where that started.

I mean probably well known but Woolie really was the core of the group even from day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The hysterical laughter to sad "ooooh" is funny and sad at the same time.

E: Woolie is adopting Billy. He'll truly still be tied to everyone

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 23, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

TBF to woolie. kirby puzzles are simple, but decepitive. Also i turned on woolie when he started doing kirby lore also that sweet lamp that panders to me.

It's killing me every time he mentions the anime and gets a lot of stuff wrong

I HAD BETTER HOPES :sigh:

E: For real this stream is super good and fun but Woolie genuinely having anxiety attacks over failing puzzles is actually kind of upsetting. "This is garbage. This is trash. This is why I should of played through it first before streaming it." While doing the worlds saddest laugh and it's like man chat (myself included) loves it and we're all just messing around, Cheer up man :(

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 23, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

And so ends Woolie's first stream. That was super fun and I'm shocked that people were listening to me half the time, even woolie lmao

Good poo poo, excited or what he does next.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If it helps Woolie really doesn't understand streamer culture (the fact people want to see him flub up puzzles for comedic effect and whatnot) and he takes everything pretty hard until he finally has a break down and pleads with the chat "Is this garbage any good?" and he gets super down.

But chat just loses it and is like yeah this is what we wanted and there's not a single shred of negativity which kind of confuses him but he leans into it by then. Rest of the stream he starts laughing and embracing all the RESET cries whenever he messes something up and becomes a lot more jovial. End of the stream dude is just having a good time- it's great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

This might be the most heinous transphobic thing ever in a game? Holy poo poo???

Like (obviously huge new Catherine spoilers) traveling through time to stop a trans person from ever transitioning and portraying it as a good thing is appalling, I know japan has a terrible track record with treating lgbtq situations well in real life let alone fiction but that's a real bad one, and that character is not handled well already to begin with

Not to dig this up much but I heard that it's just back in time and Erica still goes through with it and it's never implied otherwise so you're just seeing them before.
Is this not the case?

Also did something change in general with Erica? At release I remember seeing a ton of posts saying she was a well written and great character and (Spoilers for vanilla I guess) even when the person that has a crush on her finds out she's trans he still hooks up with her because he loves her.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 18, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mystic Mongol posted:

A shitbag wrote the credits.

He complains and Erica teases Toby about it but seeing this happen always implied that they hook up anyway to me as it's one of the last shots in the post credit scene.

Credits deadnaming is stupid but I always liked Erica because Vincent and the group were apparently super supportive of the transition and remained close friends even after and Erica is also the character they picked to have Vincent confront the Final Boss with during the reveal.
I'm not sure if the same guy who wrote the clarification or not is the person who said it but apparently full-body also takes out a handful of Erica's jabs (telling her she probably won't be accepted in Women's Wrestling cited as a example.)

That said, I've heard about how the writer/guy behind the games is and I don't blame people for being wary at all. :sigh:
I really loved the gameplay of Catherine so I might just be grasping at straws in trying to be hopeful that it's not *that* bad though.

Dias posted:

I'm refraining from discussion because...well, the game isn't out yet and all we have to go on by is secondhand info by less-than-reliable sources, and I think that's a good course of action for everyone.

This is probably for the best.

How are people supposedly seeing the new stuff anyway? Did it leak somewhere or come out in Japan?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

She's not prevented from doing it. There's no magical spell that makes Erica incapable of the transition. It's frustrating and lovely that they felt the need to show it but don't write in plot points that aren't there.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Even if it was the imaginary implication Your Parents thinks it was it's still the writer.going out of their way to show Erica as a man in the supposed everyone got what they wanted happy ending in the context of a game who's narrative goes out of its way to make sure you know she's really a man even in the eyes of God since she's affected by the curse. It's just one more little barb on the gross writing and transphobic poo poo that the game dumps out.

Also this is Ignoring the qeird implication that I'm clearly just lying to get people mad and not you know...a transwomen just super sqeezed out by the game going out of its way in New content to dump even harder on transwomen.

Just a minor thing but the final boss that judges her is not god. It's literally some rear end in a top hat that won the Climbing Cup before Vincent did and he thinks he's doing the world a favor by passing his own judgement about Japanese birth rates. Vincent (and Erica) poo poo on him when they find out and Vincent throws down a challenge to make him gently caress off and stop pushing his views on people.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Improbable Lobster posted:

Goin back in time and making it so that she doesn't transition literally is preventing her from transitioning via magic.

I'm being very literal in that they go back in time and Erica hasn't transitioned yet but she still can. There is no implications that anything can stop her from going through with it here too. It just hasn't happened yet (if it happens at all)

I think it is a insanely lovely and frustrating thing to do and it has turned me from a game I was considering buying, but I've seen a fair amount of posts over the past couple days saying the ending is Catherine literally casting a hex on Erica to stop her, specifically, and Erica shouting that she is a gay man now when both aren't true, and on a topic that I'm trying to take seriously I think it's important to be as 100% clear as possible?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Serious question: are you actually this loving stupid

gently caress off.

I literally said it was bad and I did not like it or agree with it. All I was trying to say is that people should have a clear idea of what actually happens in the ending as actual fake spoilers have been floating around trying to make it even worse than it actually is, or making it better.

Catherine at no point attacks Erica. Erica at no point thanks Catherine for preventing the change or says that her life is better now that it hasn't happened. These things do not happen and I saw it getting parroted around as if it was true.
I think it's important to get mad at the ending. That the writer should be shamed. But I think he should be shamed and fired for what's actually there.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 18, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't say any of that poo poo. I said she was prevented from transitioning. She was. That is what happens in the new ending.

You know I'll bite the bullet. I'm loving awful at getting my points across sometimes and I've rewritten these posts each a few times trying to be clear. Original post I made said "(Not that I've seen it in this thread in particular)" and I was about to jump and point at that but it apparently got deleted in a rewrite.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

Alright, I think I get it now. No wonder everyone's like gently caress him, since most of the animosity was from one character and the writing constantly putting her in situations that're way worse for no apparent reason.

Basically everyone in the group knows Erica before she transitioned and went to school with her then and supported her change over. They're still friends and they get drunk together and hang out and you don't really find out about Erica until a sheep shows up in the dream that looks like her and she drops a few hints about not resting well (because she's climbing like the guys are).

They have a younger friend named Toby who only knows Erica as a woman and didn't know she was trans. Toby is constantly hitting on her and the guys are just kind of amused by it but it's all light "she cute" fluff and nothing terribly serious and the guys never bring it up at all with him.

In the climax of the game Vincent finds out the bars owner is some kind of weird sheep demi-god and is putting his patrons under a curse if he thinks they aren't helping Japanese birthrates. If you can't produce a child he kills you by making you play Q*Bert (which is the reason why he targets men). Vincent (and Erica who's on duty that night) challenge him to one last game- if Vincent loses he dies and the bar owner keeps loving with everyone and if Vincent wins the bar owner fucks off and just runs his business like a normal rear end bar.

If the player wins and is going for the true lovers ending, Toby and Erica have sex off camera (as multiple days have passed) and Toby found out afterwards about Erica being trans. He complains and wants his v-card back and Erica laughs and tells him "you aren't getting that back I own that now." and Toby just grumbles. During the credits there's a picture of Erica catching a Bouquet and Toby giving a exasperated look but over the course of the credits the two seem to be getting happier. Final scene of the game has all the couples paired up with Toby and Erica together with wine glasses so you can take it however you want from there

Outside that Vincent just has some random comments like "I don't know if they'd accept you into a womans-wrestling league, Erica" resulting in her telling him to gently caress off or in some cases jabbing back at him.

If you want to see the ending here it is

E: And for clarity it doesn't come up at all in the other endings, just this one.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 19, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Matts stuff sucks rear end and hearing that he continues to put out bad content doesn't surprise me.

I'm not hating on the person himself, to be perfectly clear, but he just has no personality in his videos whatsoever. I tried watching his direct reaction and it was just the same timid boring Matt, just without anyone to even try bouncing off of.

Pat hasn't played a game that interested me outside RE2 and Woolie I just kinda wind up missing his streams more often or not. Liam's the only SBF that I still manage to catch really.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vandar posted:

Apparently there's some trans stuff in Mother 3 that's not handled too well, from my understanding, which is a (presumably) part of the reason it never got localized in the West.

Look up the Magypsies.

They're supposed to be genderless sage alien things but they all look like men in coats and dresses (or uh, overalls in one case?) and they all talk with hearts every few lines and have a general air of carefree whimsy (that's explained away as them living for so long that they just can't be assed to care about mortal struggles, they just care about their jobs at this point and whatever they find amusing to kill time on)

They're insanely good people and are nothing but encouraging to the heroes helping them with their problems, joining your party in some instances and teaching you magic but they're also... flowery to say the least, and are meant to be funny by how out there they can be personality wise. They also raised Kumatora ever since she was a child so they're parental figures to some degree too.

There is however a pretty :stare: joke near the start of the game where you meet one in a hot spring and they tell Lucas to awaken his magic he needs to be put in a dangerous situation or something like that- so in a controlled environment the Magypsie decides to hold his head underwater facing away from him to nearly drown him. The screen goes black and there's... a lot of sexual innuendo about enduring it and "just a little more~!" etc

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 23, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i think we should all fight matt

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

This DMC spoiler segment is painful. Pat's been legit arguing that Vergil didn't kill or do anything wrong for the past 10 minutes.

I mean did he

Urizen is very clearly not vergil despite being born from him. The scene where he monches the tree of might is made specifically to have him go "I have no idea what the gently caress this place is or anything other than I hate you Dante specifically"
I mean in the side material if we wanna count splits V apparently spent all his time saving as many innocent lives as he possibly could with his crumbling body with a strict protect the weak mindset.

Vergil appears and just broods on a space tree

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just for clarity this guy is a piece of poo poo and stole it from Lythero using @download_this or whatever the twitter bot is called.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

At least Matt got picked up by the dumpster.

But for real I wonder how he feels hearing about stuff like that.

E: I have no interest in MK11 as the gore is just too much for me, but not seeing Matt/Pat/Woolie all playing it together is the first time I've really felt the SBF channel being gone

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 24, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like watching Lythero streams.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Speaking of Liam is he okay? I feel like after he finished TWEWY he just kinda vanished. He started Sekiro then petered off into the ether, not really that active on twitter or on twitch. I think I saw him playing Sekiro the other day but didn't get a chance to poke my head in so I wonder if he just fell out of the hobby or if he had to get a job to support himself or something.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 18, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah was just curious is all. Good for him even if I'll miss his sometimes sharp humor.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watched the Mario Maker video and man, Matt was kinda pissy in it but it was still a great 4man video. Shame it won't be around for MM2.

It still strikes me as odd that Pat and Liam have such great comedic chemistry together but it turns out they disliked each other the most. The Barkley run will forever live on in my heart.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I just read the twitch log of Liam shutting down his stream when he found out about the roosterteeth deal and that seems really petty and weird from a outside perspective. The person in his chat didn't even mention Pat, just "do you think Woolie will get a funko pop of himself now?"

I hope nothing bad happened between him and Woolie now :/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

wait what now? he turned off his stream because the chat started talking about the RT deal, and he got jealous or something? or what do you mean? just reacted weird to hearing about it and you're inferring something, or did he say anything?

Just kinda weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

somepartsareme posted:

liam obviously has had serious problems with anxiety so i'm gonna guess it's that and not him being epically jealous of pat

Yeah I just don't know why he'd get anxious about hearing about it when Pat wasn't even mentioned in it, that's why I'm just hoping nothing happened between him and Woolie.

Like it doesn't really effect him at all so I'm just kind of scratching my head, personally.
E: Saying it comes off as petty is how I feel while not knowing more about the situation, but I also genuinely hope he's okay. That's all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dabir posted:

He's obviously been really trying to make the stream thing work by himself and maybe bringing up things like that makes him feel like he jeopardised his own success by leaving?

Yeah, I guess.

Thread should know by now that I like Liam and go to bat for him a lot. I'm really not trying to dunk on the guy or anything :sigh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, that's a hosed up way to read that chatlog.

Yeah, I guess I'm not in the right state of mind myself. This is my mistake.

I just don't get why he'd be upset at the woolie question. I'm sorry.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Didn't Pat win the bet with Liam?

According to Pat Liam ended up having to back out of the deal and concede defeat, then didn't even pay up (which Pat was fine with). The bet's been over for 3 years according to him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

You should watch eva because it is good and also because it is a hugely important series in the context of...a LOT of anime(and more) in the last 22ish years

It's by no means a perfect show, but god drat I remember watching some absurdly low res rips wayyyyy back in the day and it was unlike anything I had seen before at that point

I remember sitting a friend down who was relatively new to anime in the mid-oughts and told him to watch as much as he felt comfortable with while I went to work. He wound up binging the entire series in one go and was halfway through end of eva when I got home, and literally the only thing he did was do that thing psyduck does where he grabs his head and turns it sideways with a noise of confusion and overwhelmedness

I feel like you have to be in the right mindset tbh. I heard for years how hyped up it is and how it was a game changer and amazing and etc etc. One afternoon I was bored so I sat down and watched it. And like, I hated it. I felt like it wasted a lot of my time, none of the characters were interesting or likeable. Way too many shots of faces talking to each other and I just didn't care anymore. It was a series that I forgot everything about like a week or two after watching because nothing was memorable other than "It had some cool designs I guess."

It's not like I don't get why it's important to the genre or anything either- I get that in pioneered a lot and changed the landscape. It's just I've seen the landscape it created so going back to it was just a drag where I would just check out constantly.

If you like it by all means, do not let me take that away from you, but I wouldn't say its must watch. Not anymore anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

You should listen to the Waypoints episodes about it. They go in depth in on the significance of a lot of the scenes episode by episode, from a group half made from first time watchers who aren't necessarily anime fans and know literally nothing about the series in some cases. They just put out the second episode talking about episodes 8-13 or 14, and how hosed up the sexualization and fanservice is in this day and age, but also go over the meanings of various scenes that might not necessarily look like much at first glance. If nothing else it might help you understand WHY it was important, even if you despise it.

it created a ton of genre staples and did some things that nobody had really tried to do in a tv anime. I think it literally aired after like, doraemon or something, which is hilarious. You can hate it, that's totally fine, but that doesn't mean it's not important.

I'll give it a listen and again, as I said, I'm not denying that it wasn't important at the time. I understand how it created genre subversions and the like in anime- it's just that actually watching it now is pretty boring when I've seen a ton of anime subversions in various shows.

Also while I used the word hate, I just mean that it did nothing for me and I was just really bored is all. I'm sure a insult can be slung at me but there's various points where I just zoned out while watching because it felt like nothing was being talked about and it was a boring shot of a drink on a table or something. I just felt the pacing was atrocious between spurts of animation.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dabir posted:

The long pauses are supposed to create a sense of discomfort.

https://twitter.com/Lythero/status/1147232853782081537

Came up because a streamer I follow is checking it out for the first time but it sounds like he's kinda going through the same thing I did.

The show did this enough that I stopped finding it discomforting or anything, just kind of "okay I get it".
Maybe binge watching it and getting that back to back to back was a bad idea but ehh. Each their own.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Marin Karin posted:

Guys this show about mental illness and the anxiety of building human relationships is really slow? I mean the robots look cool but I don’t get why there’s so many pauses like? Ok the characters all have trauma and are afraid of getting hurt but let’s speed it up here

Please don't strawman at me.

E: Literally vibes of "Guys have you heard about DEATH NOTE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God I can't wait for the shitstorm of scariness this year :)