Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not to dig this up much but I heard that it's just back in time and Erica still goes through with it and it's never implied otherwise so you're just seeing them before.
Is this not the case?

Also did something change in general with Erica? At release I remember seeing a ton of posts saying she was a well written and great character and (Spoilers for vanilla I guess) even when the person that has a crush on her finds out she's trans he still hooks up with her because he loves her.

Apparently that's not the case and the person who insists otherwise is a less-than-reliable source.

Pharohman777 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1097114182334459904
So apparently the Catherine being transphobic thing might have been faked by the same person who said that fire emblem fates had anti-gay stuff.

exquisite tea posted:

"Writer/editor. My work can be found on @redstate, @nichegamer, @dailycaller, @OneAngryGamerhd, & youtube."

So you know, grain of salt and all that.

Also in the original game the entire male cast keeps throwing passive aggressive barbs at Erica about not being a real woman, she gets sent to the nightmare world for men who are bad at getting women pregnant, and when the guy who didn't know her pre-transition hooks up with her and then finds out about her history he acts super distraught about losing his virginity to her.

The director of Catherine is pretty infamous for having Opinions About LGBT People so people aren't exactly eager to give his work the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Now for the hattrick explain why the credits felt the need to deadname Erica.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How are people supposedly seeing the new stuff anyway? Did it leak somewhere or come out in Japan?

It came out in Japan a couple days ago and Catherine isn't exactly the longest game to play through.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Serious question, how culturally universal is the concept of dead-naming for trans individuals? I genuinely don't know and am curious if its a concept thats treated the same in Japan trans communities as it is here.

I'm not even close to an expert on transgender issues in Japan, but from what I always hear in Japan they put more emphasis on transition being a more transformative thing compared to the Western idea of matching your body, appearance and presentation to your inherent gender identity. How true or widely accepted is I cannot say.

For deadnaming in particular, obviously that poo poo is still rude as gently caress because whether viewed as transformative or inherent, it's still saying yeah I don't give a poo poo about you or your identity. There was that zombie idol show that was super popular last year where it was a pretty big deal for a transgender girl character to declare her old male name as dead and gone.

If anything, given how pronouns work way differently in Japanese than they do in English, deadnaming would be a way bigger deal for them than it already is in Western cultures.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you cannot dunk on a man with no self-respect, it's Pat's Ultra Instinct

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not sure that's what they're saying but also that post is formatted horribly to the point of utter incoherence so who knows.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's only one evil Magypsy and it's the only cis-straight-male-presenting one of the bunch.

Obviously stereotyping gender-queer people as old men in dresses is pretty garbage in terms of representation, but Mother 3 is also a game about weirdos and outcasts fighting back against jack-booted thugs who demand conformity, so I can't fault it too much. Most of the NPC dialogue about the Magypsies in the early game is about them being a bit mysterious but cool people, it's only after a time skip to when the vaguely fascist army is firmly in control that people start thinking of them as weird and gross. So basically, the Magypsies are designed to make you think "wow these guys are super weird" so it can then turn around and call you an idiot for thinking that because they're the only consistently cool people in the game while the rest of the overtly "normal" people end up perpetuating systems that harm themselves for no real reason other than because hey that's what normal means.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

this is the dark souls of video game accessibility discussions

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean did he

The demon tower nonsense in DMC3 probably killed some people. The city in DMC3 always felt weirdly deserted to avoid addressing this subject, though.

As far as DMC5 goes, even if you consider Urizen a completely separate entity from Vergil, Urizen's creation was the explicit purpose of his whole demon/human separation business. Urizen only exists because Vergil wanted him to exist, in the exist way he exists, so I'd say Vergil is pretty culpable for everything Urizen does.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

To be fair, time-traveling Josuke saving his baby self is an easy inference to make, given all the time nonsense the series gets up to. Pretty sure that's even a secret bonus scene in that 7th Stand User fan game so it's an idea that's floating around the Japanese side of the fandom as well.

In retrospect it's clear the idea is it's a random stranger's act of kindness being a formative experience for Josuke, but the scene has enough ambiguity packed in that it always surprises me when the jojo thread goes all "only an idiot would think that" when the time travel theory gets floated by new readers. Like, even the anime adaptation has the random stranger's dialogue presented in silent film format just because assigning him an actual voice actor would give evidence to and against different interpretations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there was that time goku beat vegeta by dropping a giant baby on him

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

When Nozawa dies and has to be inevitably replaced it better be with another woman.

Never let the quintessential ideal of punchmans be voiced by a man.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Woolie and Liam (and Liam and Matt) are still on good terms so maybe they'll bunch up.

some real divorcee child energy in that post

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i don't understand people who tweet

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i don't think the author of AoT is necessarily a fascist or whatever, but going all in on Holocaust imagery in their flesh mecha comic is a level of tastelessness i am not comfortable with to be honest

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

maybe one day we'll get a wha happun on your posts

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ball shaving ads are extremely on-brand for people constantly exposing theirs

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my spicy hot take is that the changes to the english versions are good, because the original japanese had some real uncomfortable undertones of sexual violence in the bikini photography chapter that got undone or at the very least lessened a lot by turning it into a street fashion photography chapter instead

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

He specifically said that the natives hunting by running bison off cliffs was "too effective". This was the reality. A lot of this stuff isn't taught in Canadian classrooms, at least if my own education is representative

when someone said "mountain of skulls" i thought they were being figurative or exaggerating, jesus

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

stop posting forever

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

woolie should instead play with a combination ddr pad and donkey kong bongos to spite them

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why would anyone, especially his biggest fans, care what Pat thinks about anything

pat fans: i love his guy, he's so contrarian

also pat fans: i cannot believe this guy holds opinions contrary to the one i tell him to have

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

grouchio please don't hunt down the former best friends and eat their hearts to steal their life essence

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

minh was the coolest guy

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

so i'm not following the podcast, the heck is a vorthos

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

wasn't laura kate dale also the one ready to throw Celeste in the trashbin because its main character wasn't trans enough or whatever

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

Matt would have used a clip from the original Bible Black not the sequel thing Woolie used.

so that's why the Best Friends broke up

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Matt's channel is the only one i watch with any regularity these days, and only really for Wha Happun to be honest. they're bite-sized enough that even if an episode is a dud i don't terribly mind

Woolie's stuff i usually just check out when people in here go all "hey check out this cool and fun thing", and lol Pat's stuff

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

please spectate and watch the thread

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

does anyone even have rights to the character of The Baz? has he ascended to the realms of public domain so anyone can put him in anything?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Woolie is the opposite of a normie so I ASSUME you mean Reggie.

Hopefully Woolie's past the race theory stuff from the Catherine LP!

i never actually watched that lp so my question is, what

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

foolish to assume that the one hour videos are full podcasts, when they're actually short clips of the full twenty hour versions

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

never let a dark souls fan tell you how to play dark souls, it will be the single worst mistake you can ever make in your life

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

didn't everyone make fun of how bad the rear end shot when m2 first came out anyway

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

REGGIE: [encounters a problem that could be solved by blocking with a shield]

WOOLIE: you should be two-handing

the whole "no, you must never use a shield, it is a crutch and makes the game boring!" thing might be my least favorite dark souls fan attitude. like, just teach people to drop the shield when you don't anticipate attacks to recover stamina and call it a day. it's like dropping a copy of bayonetta in the lap of someone who's never seen a spectacle fighter before and then tell them if they don't pick the highest difficulty they're playing the game wrong.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

isn't woolie's day job being a professional online guy? you'd think the income model that all his friend and peers use would be a no-brainer

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It is no longer kosher to compliment Poland. They have yet to take responsibility.

last i checked like a third of the country declared itself a gay-free zone, so, yeah

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i wish videl had a personality for more than her introductory arc

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

dark souls

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

heck, i'll say it: the dwarves are the good part of the nier crossover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck