Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
gross posts can be bad jokes

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

beep by grandpa posted:

I can't listen to a podcast because one of the two hosts is dating someone who sometimes talks to people I don't like is loving hilarious.

just a reminder that "talks to people i dont like" = going on a neonazi show and then defending them when called on it

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

hubris.height posted:

paige should make friends with more people that posters in this thread don't like in my opinion

hanging out with nazis, to own the libs,

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i dont have much of an opinion about paige and dont care if ppl do or dont want to watch her stuff but it's the /pol/ level reducing hanging out with nazis to "being friends with PEOPLE YOU DONT LIKE" that is just knowingly defending nazis

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
honestly that writer has gone out of his way to be so openly bigoted for so long that even if there really is a reeeaaalllly good reason that showing a trans woman pretransition isn't as bad as it looks, honest, it's probably a good thing if people stop letting him get away with his bullshit

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
You already missed it

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
listening to the catherine section on the podcast. pat repeating that atlus makes japanese games for japanese people and therefore it's understandable that they have super bigoted poo poo in them is an annoying trope

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah, i dont think hes intentionally trying to justify them, but "japanese people dont care about lgbt issues/feminism" is a harmful meme believed by 4chan anitwitter types that are going to be actually supporting atlus

e: and then the follow up discussion about the "core values" thing was hard to listen to. not one of their best

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah, the minor issue i took is the idea that atlus appeals to "japan" instead of "bigoted gamer dudes" which are the same and equally pandered to in japan and the west

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Dias posted:

I`m gonna assume that`s in the most recent podcast, but couldn`t Pat have meant that the experience can be so traumatizing that people can get PTSD and that can lead them to suicide? There seems to be some documented cases of that happening.

he said that if you wake up during surgery and have a heart condition you die of shock

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
most of my favorite sbf moments were from matt but the solo stuff is very different. it probably has an audience but not the same audience as sbf lps

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the recent castle superbeasts have been rough listens for me. i dont say this often but i wish they would stick to games and anime because politics and current events are way out of their depth

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah i dont realistically expect them to stop expressing their beliefs about shits but in my heart i wish pat would not say things like "i hope if P5R has a feMC you can date the 12 year old so people get mad" or when they got so mad about the doa thing and framing it as "people cant handle female sexuality"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the part that bothered me was pat being like "oh we can have gross fatalities but we can't show FEMALE SEXUALITY" when the ads were just openly exploitative crap, beyond the usual doa fare of jiggling breasts in bikinis. i guess the joke was the idea that the fgc has any values

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Your Parents posted:

mortal kombat fatalities are a thousand million times creepier and grosser than anything in DOA. its just as weird and objectifying but its also serial killer violent.

i'd agree but it doesn't need to be a competition

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

MaxDuo posted:

After this week's podcast I hope they are done talking about Kenshin pedo man and Yakuza drug guy. It seemed like 30+ minutes of it last week, then we get a huge conversation about it again this week in the emails section. Yes, Japan is crazy about drugs. Now please stop getting mad about it.

but how else will pat tell us his thoughts on moral relativism?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
it's not a bad conversation on its own but talking about things like that tends to lead to groaners like pat saying moral relativism is bullshit because everyone in japan loves pedophilia

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Captain Invictus posted:

Insisting there not be an easy mode means you put far too much personal worth in dumb videogames, which is very sad

this. loving lol talking about "diminishing the art" or that it cheapens the experience.

also when i look at a celeste speedrun i am definitely thinking these loser babies should have just played it with the no deaths assist on and taken their time

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i am currently enjoy classic SBF game The Evil Within on casual difficulty because i would not have put up with this bullshit long enough on survival

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
whether some games "should" have an easy mode is one question that can be debated in circles forever, but melting down like a baby and whining about "entitled gamers" is probably not a good look

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

CuddlyZombie posted:

Okay, but they didn’t

but people (pat) is saying if they did it would be the worst thing ever. see what i mean about going in circles

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
basically sekiro shouldnt have an easier mode because then it might appeal more to people who don't base their entire sense of self worth around being good at a video game

i saw a reply to pat that was like "if i beat a game on normal mode, but it has a hard mode, there might be people who say i didn't really beat it! i don't want that!" and like wow what a sad way to live

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
again i will point to celeste as a game that is punishingly difficult and also has a robust assist/easy mode. if there were no assist mode, i probably wouldnt have noticed it. the fact that it is there has only made me think huh, that's nice. i have not heard anyone suggest that celeste is compromised either as a piece of art or a gameplay experience due to the existence of the assist mode. your idea that adding an easy mode fundamentally changes it as a piece of art is, at the least, not objectively true.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

CuddlyZombie posted:

The assist mode in Celeste ultimately didn’t hurt me but it sure made me enjoy the opening less, it made me wonder if the game would eventually use it as a crutch for an uneven difficulty curve which made me more reluctant to engage it in its own terms. Fortunately as I played it turned out not to be the case but I would have had a smoother beginner experience without it.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah I have a hard time enjoying bayonetta and dmc because even when I beat it I feel unaccomplished for not getting a good grade. It made me drop off of bayo 2 completely and while I got dmc5 I haven’t felt the desire to get far into it.

it sounds like this might be your own problem

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

CuddlyZombie posted:

Only as far as souls games not having easy modes is your own.

people being prevented from enjoying fun games because they can't handle the mechanical difficulty for whatever reason and the devs didnt make any allowance for that, versus you preventing yourself from enjoying fun games because a ranking system makes you feel inferior or something

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

a thesis yet to be disproven

pls prove why having options to tune the difficulty for different peoples level of mechanical proficiency is objectively better than not having the options

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
literally nobody is saying games should be easier across the board so more people can enjoy them. they want the option. and if the response to that is "the resources to do that aren't there" then say that instead of complaining about entitled gamers

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

i think youre the one who is supposed to prove this since it runs counter to my argument

Firstly, both our arguments are subjective and if you can't "disprove my thesis" either then this is basically saying "you started it"

Secondly, like I already said, nobody is arguing that the difficulty is part of the experience, but difficulty is also subjective, and experienced differently by different people.

Third, your and idiot

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
If you want to compare playing a video game to analyzing a piece of art, wanting an easy mode is more like saying "museums/art programs should be more accessible" than "i want art to be simpler because i'm stupid"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

thats more analogous to saying you should be able to play games on any device

sure, if you want to be as literal and obtuse as possible

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

art from adversity, friends

if your posts are art i can understand why they shouldnt be more accessible

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

lol dude cmon.

Why are you trying so hard to be a dick about someone buying a video game they ended up not liking

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

i think he would like it if he didnt give up on it

Then why not say that instead of getting mad about them not doing research and arguing about how it's totally different from the thing they liked

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

im not the one arguing in bad faith. you guys are deadset on proving yourselves right in the face of all evidence and resorting to emotional appeals in absence of realistic counterpoints

It's a subjective argument, what "evidence" are you showing. It boils down to whether you think the "cohesive experience" is worth sacrificing accessibility, and whether or not something can be more or less difficult for different people, which to me seems obvious but I guess I don't have empirical evidence for it on me

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yes. His motivations are understood. People can disagree with how valid they are. Read my post again

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
No I'm just going to laugh about how you seem to think accessibility refers to being able to purchase and start up the game

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Someone brought DMCV up to pat and his response was basically a condescending way of saying that's ok because they've always done that

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I wouldn't argue that the games are elitist, but certainly most of the people who get super angry about an easy mode have that mindset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the most controversial thing a former best friend has done today: laughing at the simpsons game