Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-hLHyYY0ww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What will he think of next?

Maybe spaceships but for shorter distances--- staying in Earth's atmosphere----
So we can avoid traffic and lessen congestion by going over roads.

GENIUS :buddy:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

spinderella posted:

is there a way to do this but i don't have to get out of my car or can it hook up directly to my garage?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

he is a goddam idiot.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spinderella posted:

No way I'll still be able to view the poors living their lives below me gross

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

what happens when the elevator breaks down?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you know how normal rich people try to spend their lucre on things like eradicating malaria or scholarships for children, or even just seeing who can own the largest luxury yacht?

musk has a fetish for dying while sealed in a tunnel, tube, or other confined space and he wants to share this compulsive behavior with his fans

turn off the TV posted:

he will found a new company devoted to making maintenance-free elevators that ends up crushing an orphanage or some bullshit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

is there a way to do this but i don't have to get out of my car or can it hook up directly to my garage?

sure. it will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep it from letting it let air in

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
If this ever comes to fruition in any shape or form, it will quickly be sold via access passes. $10k to $50k membership fee a year for the rich to use. Uncongested traffic in LA would be awesome and there are plenty of people to pay for access.

Then cities will sue, unfair use of public lands, and then buses will be added. Within 5 years it will be like any other subway. But shittier and more dangerous as Musk is trying to build a cheap rear end tunnel in a high-frequency earthquake zone.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

that will never happen. He is a genius!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jesus christ they want to fill this thing with lithium battery powered cars lmfao

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol there’s already an elon thread but I welcome more muskchat

The tunnels are never getting built, this is pure fantasy / grift

The dodger stadium thing is going to be a gondola and it will be cool. The city has already released a letter of intent for it. Not a lovely tunnel that sucks. Sorry elon

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

jesus christ they want to fill this thing with lithium battery powered cars lmfao

And your average car user.
Thrown out cigarette butts, fast food wrappers, the odd kid falling out the back.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

happyhippy posted:

And your average car user.
Thrown out cigarette butts, fast food wrappers, the odd kid falling out the back.

Somebody pooped out the winder and the poop looked at me

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol there’s already an elon thread but I welcome more muskchat

The tunnels are never getting built, this is pure fantasy / grift

The dodger stadium thing is going to be a gondola and it will be cool. The city has already released a letter of intent for it. Not a lovely tunnel that sucks. Sorry elon

the tunnels are going to happen because musk is putting up his own money on the project. that's how much he believes in the rosy scent of his own farts, he is sinking millions of dollars into a bugfuck idea because he's not willing to pay any graduate level traffic engineer to detail the many reasons this plan is lovely and stupid

like aside from the tunnels being actual health hazards, and aside from the fact that there's no efficient way to access the tunnel, really anyone involved with traffic planning can tell you about induced demand and triple convergence and etc. etc. the many mathematically demonstrable reasons why adding road capacity does not reduce congestion in any way

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dude, I've seen crack head women strip naked and smear peanut butter cups all over themselves for Halloween while staggering up and down the asile. I've seen wheelchair bound old men grab women and refuse to leg go until the cops are called and throw piles of spit. I've smelled things you people would not believe, and had dozens of people cough in my face while watching the gang bangers scratch poo poo into the windows. And that's not even close to the poo poo that goes down in Japanese subways.

I don't know what the gently caress dreamland you are living on but it's irrefutable that public transportation sucks total balls for the people riding it and a ton of people don't take it right now, hence traffic congestion. It's also irrefutable that traffic congestion slows any connecting busses, which you need to use a subway, way way down.

So to argue against lowering that congestion with some underground super highways, like an automated autobahn, is literally just stupid and would hurt everyone, even people taking buses.

I can't believe Elon Musk is a goon who loves cartoons.

I like the Bladerunner quote in there, Mr. Musk, I hope you do the Roy Batty voice when you outline just how your tunnels will keep people safe from the mad, disgusting poors.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Seriously though just imagine how much vomit those walls are gonna see after the bars close.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imagine how extremely cool it would be for a battery to catch on fire since all of the traffic in the tunnel is supposed to be point A directly to point B so when that car fails to exit every other vehicle in the system is going to now be trapped for the entire length of the tunnel by the retard loving elevators as it fills with flames and smoke as a chain reaction of batteries dooms everyone inside to horrific deaths

but, better that than have to ride a loving BUS

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

Seriously though just imagine how much vomit those walls are gonna see after the bars close.

imagine the drunks who try to open their doors to vomit only for the door to hit the tunnel wall at 90mph and bounce back, bludgeoning the rider and probably introducing debris into the tunnel for the following vehicle to unavoidably strike at a high rate of speed

imagine having to shut down the entire system so maintenance workers can access the tunnel by moving along the track bed itself, or in some specially designed maintenance sled sweeping along to get rid of all the debris that builds up

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ain't the smoke off a lith bat fire even more dangerous than just regular old smoke?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

"Enjoy the putrid stench of the vomit of the rich" will be a selling point.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

he is a goddam idiot.

The best idiot ♥

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Issy posted:

The best idiot ♥

nahh

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
whoa,,, uh

it kind of seems like somebody went all in on their idea for a digging-based business plan, without really knowing too much about digging?

so, in the u.s. it's actually really, really hard to do a lot of digging, in part because of NAGPRA- the "Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act"
basically there's Native Americans buried everywhere, and if you find some, even on accident, you have to find out which tribe they belong to and negotiate their repatriation, which can take months or even years

and even if you want to dig for more than like a couple feet in your own backyard, there's also so much infrastructure down there, pipes and pipelines and conduits and whatever, that we have a dedicated phone number that you're supposed to call first. you know how 911 is emergencies and 411 is information? 811 is the number we have for digging holes. no joke

also, you know how in Paris, there's that thing where they have a really low skyline and keep most of their old buildings, not building for density even as the population booms? my understanding is that's partly because there's so much empty space under the city that it can't hold more weight or it might collapse

idk I'm not an engineer but if they tried to build

and ended up building

I don't think I want them digging anymore. I don't think they know what they're doing

how does that concrete look like it's the floor of a century-old aqueduct? they JUST put it in.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ain't the smoke off a lith bat fire even more dangerous than just regular old smoke?

quote:

Slate reported that the firefighters who attempted to put out the 2013 Model S car fire in Seattle had trouble and "ended up using a circular saw to cut a hole that would allow them to pour water directly on the battery."

In a fiery Tesla crash into a barrier in Austria, the car kept reigniting, forcing firefighters to battle the flames for hours. The car had to be put into quarantine for 48 hours to remove the chances of reignition, Jalopnik reported.

What's more, lithium-ion fires can release high levels of "toxic gases" such as carbon monoxide, soot, hydrogen fluoride, and particulates of oxides of nickel; aluminum; lithium; copper; and cobalt, according to a Tesla Model X emergency response guide. As a result, firefighters need to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus and should use hoses that spray fog and special ventilation fans that push air out at a high velocity to protect bystanders downwind of the fire, according to the guide.

So it would be impossible to put out, would be filling the tunnel with smoke and toxic fumes, would be burning at around 600 degrees, and could possibly continue burning for hours or even days on top of carrying the risk of spontaneously reigniting.

really neat and I'm excited to hook it up to my garage ASAP!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cubone posted:

it kind of seems like somebody went all in on their idea for a digging-based business plan, without really knowing too much about digging?

exactly, musk is on record multiple times stating "let's just put all the cars underground, it will solve congestion" where like literally any student in any traffic engineering or urban planning program in any university could explain why that is stupid. musk didn't consult any experts at all because otherwise he wouldn't have done any of this nonsense. he's either completely full of his own ego or this is a distraction from tesla or something, who knows

like, at any point in the seventy years we could have buried all the freeways. fringe libertarians often propose this. there's a real good reason nobody ever does it

Cubone posted:

also, you know how in Paris, there's that thing where they have a really low skyline and keep most of their old buildings, not building for density even as the population booms? my understanding is that's partly because there's so much empty space under the city that it can't hold more weight or it might collapse

iirc it's mostly for heritage preservation and to protect the tourist industry. london is kind of the same. all the skyscrapers in paris are shoved off into their own district outside of the tourist core because nobody comes to paris to see giant glass office buildings, they want to see the iconic hausmann design

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

So it would be impossible to put out, would be filling the tunnel with smoke and toxic fumes, would be burning at around 600 degrees, and could possibly continue burning for hours or even days on top of carrying the risk of spontaneously reigniting.

hell yeah! I want to die in a tunnel because I don't want to travel with poor people!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Cubone posted:

how does that concrete look like it's the floor of a century-old aqueduct? they JUST put it in.

seriously what's going on with that concrete, I've poured concrete way nicer than that of the same thickness and I'm useless with that stuff

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

But the action movie secenes would be fantastic
Now Playing Backlash

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

seriously what's going on with that concrete, I've poured concrete way nicer than that of the same thickness and I'm useless with that stuff

it's a "prototype" meaning that you don't have to actually do a decent job constructing the thing, apparently

given the continual lowering of production standards and widening discrepancy between promised product and delivered product im wondering if everyone at the boring co hasn't just completely checked out. like normally the point of a prototype is to determine what works and what doesn't. someone should have told elon that once you've figured out what doesn't work, you don't go ahead and put the bad ideas in production

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Yahh

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The part of the underground car train tunnel that I'm having the hardest time dealing with is that it's making me think that Elon Musk is even more of a retard than I did after he made the child sized dildo submarine.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Wasn't the tunnel supposed to be a complete vacuum at one point?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

im pretty sure that most things going on in elon's brain are

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

two different but related ideas. since musk is an "ideas man" there are no ends to the wikis he will start regarding all of his different jackass schemes he doodled out while high on red wine + ambien

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
When I was around ten I "invented" a new propulsion system based on the resistance 2 ? (lol) positive sides of magnets have to touch each other.

For a day or two I thought I had changed the world and finally told my dear brilliant grandmother about my breakthrough. She humoured me a little, but then asked me questions about how it would WORK and I soon realized I had nothing.

I think Elon is like I was at 10. It's great to have ideas and want to make things better, but it's even better to have a brilliant grandmother.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know what the gently caress dreamland you are living on but it's irrefutable that public transportation sucks total balls for the people riding it and a ton of people don't take it right now, hence traffic congestion.

I don't know where you live, but the public transit in Vancouver BC is nowhere as hellish.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Blazing Ownager posted:

There is a huge difference (and a difference that will impact traffic big time) between driving somewhere and emerging with your car already and parking to ride a packed loving subway and emerging sans car on the other side. From a time and convenience issue: In reality getting on a train requires finding a place to park (10-15 mins), waiting for the train (5-15 mins), waiting for the train to make all it's stops while en route to your destination, then walking to a connecting form of mass transit and waiting for a bus to where you are actually going (another 10-20 mins).

If people can't understand why just driving into Point A and emerging in Point B is a lot different I don't know what to say. Wanting to save like 30 mins of screwing around with public transportation minimum and actually having a car at your destination point is not really a 'dumber' way of using anything.

ED: Then add in the fact everyone has access to mass transit and a lot of people still drive. By splitting traffic into an underground express lane, traffic goes way down which is good for everyone too.

so trickle down theory, but for traffic. that’s what you’re going with, huh? despite decades of research showing traffic always expands to exceed capacity in urban settings. ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Blazing Ownager did say one thing that is very true: "at least musk is trying new things."

Some might be stupid, but we do need more people with $$$ trying to make the world a better place.