Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

I feel they could have probably brought back "INT mod gives you extra languages" from 3.5, without really breaking anything.
Skill points can stay dead (although I have had one or two people pine for the old ways.)
Int and cha already have out of combat benefits due to their attached skills. A 12 won't make you the party face or the arcana point man but odds are your GM is going to have make investigation or history checks and the occasional bluff. Not as vital as a stealth or acrobatics check but still. What they really lack are passive* combat benefits. Wisdom lets you act in surprise rounds and protects you from wisdom save attacks. Con keeps you up and protects you from con targeting attacks. Dex makes you go sooner and can be used for opportunity attacks and protects you from dex and AC targeting attacks. Neither Int nor Cha generate actions, and they're both uncommon targets for saves.

*Passive here means "does not require not doing the thing you do with your primary ability score". Something like getting to reroll a specific number of attacks or saves per combat would count even though it's technically an active ability. e: that's just for illustrative purposes don't take it add an actual suggestion

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone ever tried a house rule combining Str and Con in 5e (or just using the same number for each)? How did it change things?

I'm thinking my idea of some synergy-over 14 Str add your Str mod to your Con stat-would help things without totally loving things up at the cost of being more complicated. It even makes a little bit of logical sense-gaining physical muscle strength usually leads to increased health/stamina, but super lean distance runner with chicken arms is not necessarily big and burly and strong. I think I'll give it a try sometime and see how it goes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Splicer posted:

Int and cha already have out of combat benefits due to their attached skills. A 12 won't make you the party face or the arcana point man but odds are your GM is going to have make investigation or history checks and the occasional bluff. Not as vital as a stealth or acrobatics check but still. What they really lack are passive* combat benefits. Wisdom lets you act in surprise rounds and protects you from wisdom save attacks. Con keeps you up and protects you from con targeting attacks. Dex makes you go sooner and can be used for opportunity attacks and protects you from dex and AC targeting attacks. Neither Int nor Cha generate actions, and they're both uncommon targets for saves.

*Passive here means "does not require not doing the thing you do with your primary ability score". Something like getting to reroll a specific number of attacks or saves per combat would count even though it's technically an active ability. e: that's just for illustrative purposes don't take it add an actual suggestion

These are just idle thoughts, but what about something like:

* Int lets you find weak points. Once per short rest, if you hit with a weapon attack, and the number you rolled on the d20 plus your Int modifier is greater than or equal to 20, you can double your damage bonus. (For example, if you would normally deal 1d8+4 damage, you deal 1d8+8.)

* Cha lets you make yourself a less-attractive target. Once per short rest, if you are attacked with a weapon attack, you can reduce the attacker's roll to hit by your Charisma modifier. You can do this after you know whether the roll is a hit, but before your attacker rolls for damage.

That second one weakens Cutting Words a bit, but it's what came to mind.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

As a start, if Str/Con and arguably Int/Wis were combined, you would get to a more even keel on a lot of things.

So what you're saying is, we should all play Shadow of the Demon Lord instead?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Extra languages" are one of those "bonuses" D&D is so fond of that in normal play do not matter at all.

Glad we agree

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Splicer posted:

It's like you're playing basketball and all the players are like "let's kick the ball instead of throwing it" and you say "we're playing basketball, the ball's not weighted for that you'll hurt your feet and also it'll be real hard to adjudicate travelling" and they're all "but we like kicking the ball" and you say "fine" and six months into the league half the players have sprained ankles and the referee has had to make some real weird calls to keep things moving and there's three competing systems for hitting the ball with different bits of your leg so that it hurts less including one that you realise is actually walking on your hands every few steps so you can redefine throwing as kicking and half the people you talk to can't seem to connect the dots between kicking a basketball and the weird hosed up bits and half the people blame the referee for not dealing with the hosed up bits better and half the people seem to get what you're saying on an intellectual level but keep responding with "but they like kicking the ball" so you say "OK so it really seems like you guys don't want to be playing basketball, have you considered playing soccer?" but nobody wants to play soccer because they want to play the game they saw on tv/want to finish the league we started/dont want to learn a whole new game/don't like that the soccer balls don't come in orange.

One PC in a group gets a +1 magic weapon and nobody else has any. Is that kicking the basketball? Did you know that monster CRs aren't calibrated to include the system effects of magic items? Did you know that it is just barely possible that all the classes aren't perfectly balanced in terms of combat effectiveness? Is playing a Beastmaster Ranger kicking the ball, or just the equivalent of only taking 3-point shots from half-court? Is it possible that your analogy isn't especially apt?

Having written that, you're completely right about Str/Dex/Con, Splicer, and it's vexing to me that the designers still haven't learned their lesson about what stats are good for what purposes, especially skill modifiers. Dexterity is especially frustrating because it's been the "good for everything stat" through multiple editions. I'm guessing that the current designers stuck to the six-stat model because changing it felt too much to them like kicking the basketball.

DalaranJ posted:

Hi, if you have familiarity with my posting habits you may know that sometimes I get intensely curious about a specific piece of D&Ds design. So, stop talking about that controversial design topic and start talking about this one! (I fully expect everyone will ignore me.)

Here’s my informal survey:
1. Do you play a wizard or another primary caster? Preferably a non-multiclassed one. If so, which class? What is your party’s level?
2. Do you usually spend all or most of your memorized spells in a day?
3. If not, why not? Are there specific types of spells that tend to go uncast? (Low level ones, or you’re just making poor guesses about utility?) Or does some other resource tend to be expended first?
4. How do you feel about the number of spells you can cast per day in relation to the game’s challenge?

1. Sorcerer L3. My group playtesting modular characters has 3 primary casters, one L9 with Warlock spells, one with Druid spells and smiting who I believe is L8 caster, and one with Cleric spells and smiting who is L8 caster.
2. Variable. The group tends to bite off more than we can chew, so if it's a "fight and flee" situation I usually am out of slots. If we're being more cautious, I typically have 1-2 spells left. The GM allows for cascading encounters, so if we pursue that goblin patrol we can run straight into two more encounters.
The playtest group varies somewhat less. The Warlock is always out of spells after a fight. The Druid and Cleric usually save something in case of further encounters, although last week when they'd fully scouted out the lab they were exploring they correctly concluded that they were in the final encounter area and unloaded everything they had. Given that their foe dealt about 80 points of damage in a single round, that was a wise decision.
3. Neither campaign has a guarantee of safe resting and each allows for the possibility of an unexpected encounter, so saving slots means you're ready for the extra encounter if it happens. (The game I'm playing in has a family of half-ogres extorting people who want to cross the bridge back into town, so our route to a safe rest is itself dangerous until we're strong enough to wipe the whole family out.) My sorcerer usually has L1 slots reserved. The playtest group players will often save a spell slot at a specific level for a specific purpose (Revivify, Pass without Trace).
4. More spells would make L3 adventuring too easy--Sleep is very effective vs the goblins, xvarts, and giant rats who have been our main foes thus far. Fewer would be too few. But it's early days yet.
For the playtest game I'm running, my players seem pretty happy with the challenge level, and that includes spells per day. I think the Warlock player is feeling a bit crunched on slots and could reasonably be given +1 or even +2 slots without breaking anything, but only because I'm making short-rests a limited resource through the design side of things. If they could short rest after every encounter, +2 slots would be too many, although I don't think +1 would be.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Extra languages" are one of those "bonuses" D&D is so fond of that in normal play do not matter at all.

The test of this is, if you run into a situation where no one can do it, does the game stop? If the answer is no, it's more or less an irrelevant ability or something that should have been handled in another way by the game. Languages are a big "no."

You’re not wrong. Though the equivalent/alternative bonus in 5e — tool proficiencies, are about as equally worthless in normal play (in my experience, anyway). With the exception of thieves’ tools, I think languages and tools have gotten used about 2-3 times each over ~2 years of play in our campaign.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

escalator dropdown posted:

You’re not wrong. Though the equivalent/alternative bonus in 5e — tool proficiencies, are about as equally worthless in normal play (in my experience, anyway). With the exception of thieves’ tools, I think languages and tools have gotten used about 2-3 times each over ~2 years of play in our campaign.

That's a DM issue, since they've issued several examples of how to use each tool proficiency in 5e

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

P.d0t posted:

Glad we agree

I disagree. Being the only guy that knows draconic or abyssal has helped me a couple times. People have gotten some use out of orcish as well.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Roll 3d6. Use that number for every stat.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I disagree. Being the only guy that knows draconic or abyssal has helped me a couple times. People have gotten some use out of orcish as well.

Oh, you can definitely work in that draconic is important, but if none of the PCs speak it, the plot important dragon probably speaks English. I'd be really surprised if a major plot point was missed because no one speaks primordial.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Roll 3d6. Use that number for every stat.

Oh, you can definitely work in that draconic is important, but if none of the PCs speak it, the plot important dragon probably speaks English. I'd be really surprised if a major plot point was missed because no one speaks primordial.

Eh, if the party ends up on an elemental plane and just starts killing poo poo, they might not realize that everyone was actually begging for their lives.

Also I was going to defend the usefulness of tools, then realized I was thinking of kits instead.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It was some draconic writing. We could have tried to find an NPC or just ignored it, but I was able to read it, and it gave us some clues for the next puzzle.

It’s fun when a DM throws a character a bone, and gives their bonus language some relevance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Language on the whole is probably best to be ignored unless you can actually use it to set up a narrative, otherwise it's just a skill check. Did someone jot that down on their character sheet? Does a caster have the suitable spell? gently caress you I guess, then.

On the flip, if it has the party going out to find a translator for it it could be interesting, but it also could just as easily be busy work and padding.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s fun when a DM throws a character a bone, and gives [unique character trait] some relevance.

That's something I agree with. If your character has something in their background, let it take the spotlight at some point. But if I were going to be spending a feat to learn more languages, that'd have to come with some mighty fine, persistent benefits.

Or you could just kinda not mess with the feats and everything, and just have "Ok, my dude knows tons of languages" or "My dude was raised by orcs and knows their customs" or whatever, and then just run with it.

UNLESS

Gamerofthegame posted:

On the flip, if it has the party going out to find a translator for it it could be interesting, but it also could just as easily be busy work and padding.

But at that point, it's not just a yes/no feat thing, you're building story around not knowing the language. Which isn't bad, and can be good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait hold on what's wrong with talking to animals as a power? Talking to animals is rad!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Typical goon doesn't see the value in talking to someone unless you can give them orders or mind control them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wait hold on what's wrong with talking to animals as a power? Talking to animals is rad!!!

I have a Shepherd Druid/Hunter Ranger character I’ve been itching to play. Magic Initiate so I have a familiar, and I’ll be the beast whisperer.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

After much delaying and such I'm actually NOW writing up my first adventure I'll be honest; I basically stole the idea for it from a Reddit post about Kua-Toa as I absolutely cannot NOT have a giant lighthouse monster wandering around wrecking boats at sea.

So. The quest is essentially they got a report that the lighthouse went missing. The whole thing. They go investigate and try to find the lighthouse.

The whole is a little unsettled because a merchants guild moved in a couple years back and built up a port around their once quiet little coastal town. Some want it to go back.

There's gonna be a drunk guy that says his friend saw it walk off. The merchant guild leader has no clue, just woke up and it was gone. He suspects foul play from a group of original town members that have been growing more and more hostile with what they feel is an invasion of their town and wants to go back the way it was. The wharf master if pressed, bribed, or intimidated will admit the wizard paid him money for a boat, but paid even more to keep the info to himself.

The warforged wizard is the real culprit, as he was conducting a lot of studies into opening up and maintaining links to the fire plane and with tons of new people around, he can't keep his work as private. So he found a Kua-Toa tribe living nearby that seemed fascinated by the lighthouse, and knowing they'd be a good distraction at the least in short term and maybe cause enough panic in the long term to get his quiet unsuspecting town back, he convinced them it was a god. And since Kua-Toa are what they are, it has become one.

Of course, the wizard will just try to lie and say magic has been going crazy lately and he felt like something was going on North of here (the direction of the Kua-Toa clan) and hope the NPCs murder them, thus decreasing belief thus poofing the new god back out of existence.

So that's essentially the quest. I want to plant some evidence in and around of this, but I need to do it in a not super obvious way. What would a wizard leave in the Kua-Toa lair? Or what might the wizard have laying around in his tower?

And the larger hook is that in my world, the warforged have lost their ability to replicate. They can repair and do almost anything else, but they lost their ability to reproduce. So the wizard is trying to open a channel into the fire plane to contact the Azer and learn their secrets since they are made of metal and imbue their kin with part of themselves. This will eventually end badly and give the fire plane denizens an easy way into the prime material plane. That's bad. My cleric follows the god of the warforged. My ranger receives vague visions of stopping this threat from the warforged God, though he doesn't know it. As much as it wants the warforged to reproduce, this is just too high a price potentially.

This might hopefully set up a little tension between the cleric and ranger as stopping this impending threat also means preventing the warforged from potentially finding a viable method of reproduction.

How does this sound?

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Kaal posted:

That's a DM issue, since they've issued several examples of how to use each tool proficiency in 5e

I mean, yes and no? They’ve certainly issued more on uses of tool proficiencies (e.g. in Xanathar’s) than on languages. But IMO they’re still pretty shallow as a game mechanic, and my impression is that they don’t really get used often (again, outside thieves tools, and maybe disguise/forgery kits in more social-focused campaigns). But that’s mostly an impression formed on internet discussions and could certainly be wildly off.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Tools all have the same problem as the Medicine skill usually does, which is that even low-level magic often does the same thing better, or with a lesser investment of time/money.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Narsham posted:

One PC in a group gets a +1 magic weapon and nobody else has any. Is that kicking the basketball? Did you know that monster CRs aren't calibrated to include the system effects of magic items? Did you know that it is just barely possible that all the classes aren't perfectly balanced in terms of combat effectiveness? Is playing a Beastmaster Ranger kicking the ball, or just the equivalent of only taking 3-point shots from half-court? Is it possible that your analogy isn't especially apt?
I can't tell whether you're saying my texting to drunk driving analogy doesn't work because it fails to include driving while high or because it doesn't include taking a cab (I did suggest taking the train though).

OK seriously what I mean is are you saying that the terrible balance elsewhere means one more terrible balance aspect is NBD or are you saying that the different balance problems compensate for each other? Because the first is belabouring the analogy and also silly nihilism and the latter is either patently untrue* or falls under my blame the referee category above. They also both distil back to "have you tried playing soccer?"

*I'm now thinking of a D&D where you can only play a wizard if you roll crap for stats and rolling all 18s locks you into berserker barbarian and honestly it sounds doable.

Narsham posted:

Having written that, you're completely right about Str/Dex/Con, Splicer, and it's vexing to me that the designers still haven't learned their lesson about what stats are good for what purposes, especially skill modifiers. Dexterity is especially frustrating because it's been the "good for everything stat" through multiple editions. I'm guessing that the current designers stuck to the six-stat model because changing it felt too much to them like kicking the basketball.
Get this: basketball, but we fill the ball with air and don't sacrifice the opposing team afterwards

e: hey this post came across as kind of hostile on a reread, I can't think how to rephrase it. I bear no ill will toward you

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 17, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

rolling stats makes every other problem in the system worse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

juggalo baby coffin posted:

rolling stats makes every other problem in the system worse.
Please stop accurately summarising my multi page effort posts in an embarrassingly small number of words

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So, speaking about Berserker barbarian.

Why is it actually considered so horrible? People talk about the exhaustion part a lot but you have to specifically go into a Frenzied Rage to cause that, and a single level of it isn't really that bad. Two can be, but it won't detriment the actual ability to hit things until 3 levels.

In fact none of the other abilities for the Berserker is tied into Frenzy, kind of surprising really. I think the only thing that is actually bad design wise is the Level 10 Intimidating Presence using a DC made up from your Charisma of all things. Suppose I might even make it a radius rather than targeted and use Strength instead if I were to homebrew it.

But yeah other than the risk involved in pushing for Frenzy too hard, Mindless Rage and Retaliation are pretty solid? Not better than Bear Totem for sheer tankiness obviously but I don't think that's what we'd be comparing here. For pure offense it might even be better than Zealot?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

*I'm now thinking of a D&D where you can only play a wizard if you roll crap for stats and rolling all 18s locks you into berserker barbarian and honestly it sounds doable.

A game where your starting randomisation determines which narrow-ish range of stuff you're good at, or alternatively makes you someone who is inherently good at nothing but owns a spellbook which lets them be good at a limited number of things per adventure?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arthil posted:

So, speaking about Berserker barbarian.

Why is it actually considered so horrible? People talk about the exhaustion part a lot but you have to specifically go into a Frenzied Rage to cause that, and a single level of it isn't really that bad. Two can be, but it won't detriment the actual ability to hit things until 3 levels.

In fact none of the other abilities for the Berserker is tied into Frenzy, kind of surprising really. I think the only thing that is actually bad design wise is the Level 10 Intimidating Presence using a DC made up from your Charisma of all things. Suppose I might even make it a radius rather than targeted and use Strength instead if I were to homebrew it.

But yeah other than the risk involved in pushing for Frenzy too hard, Mindless Rage and Retaliation are pretty solid? Not better than Bear Totem for sheer tankiness obviously but I don't think that's what we'd be comparing here. For pure offense it might even be better than Zealot?
A long rest only reduces your exhaustion level by one. Using your class ability makes you suck for the rest of the day, and using it twice makes you suck for two days etc. Not only is this bad in isolation, but it comes at the opportunity cost of not getting one of the better, not-crap abilities of the other roles.

How 2 fix: Have all barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest and all levels of exhaustion on a long rest. Or play a warforged lol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

A game where your starting randomisation determines which narrow-ish range of stuff you're good at, or alternatively makes you someone who is inherently good at nothing but owns a spellbook which lets them be good at a limited number of things per adventure?
A pseudo points system where you can only have the super good class abilities if you have bad stats and you can only have the super good stats if you have mediocre class abilities. This could be a roll system (cumulative total modifiers of +2? Full caster is on the table!) or points buy (I want to play a wizard so I have 10 points to spend/I want to play Buffcrobat McSmartsCharisma which leaves me with enough classpoints to buy beastmaster ranger) or even allow both at the same table since it all comes out even in the end.

What the good vs mediocre class abilities actually do could be pretty much anything (assuming you abide by good design principles)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 17, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

A pseudo points system where you can only have the super good class abilities if you have bad stats and you can only have the super good stats if you have mediocre class abilities. This could be a roll system (cumulative total modifiers of +2? Full caster is on the table!) or points buy (I want to play a wizard so I have 10 points to spend/I want to play Buffcrobat McSmartsCharisma which leaves me with enough classpoints to buy beastmaster ranger) or even allow both at the same table since it all comes out even in the end.

What the good vs mediocre class abilities actually do could be pretty much anything (assuming you abide by good design principles)

Well yeah that sounds real good!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Splicer posted:

A long rest only reduces your exhaustion level by one. Using your class ability makes you suck for the rest of the day, and using it twice makes you suck for two days etc. Not only is this bad in isolation, but it comes at the opportunity cost of not getting one of the better, not-crap abilities of the other roles.

How 2 fix: Have all barbarians recover one level of exhaustion per short rest and all levels of exhaustion on a long rest. Or play a warforged lol.

Warforged don't suffer exhaustion due to lack of sleep, but still do from other sources.

You still focused on the Level 3 ability. Which sure, a lot of play happens in the range where that is all you've got. It may be because of the environment I tend to play in, an AL-like community where every game is basically a fresh session even if you'd played at the table last time. Makes certain things not matter in the long run.

Honestly I wonder if the long-term play in that environment is why a couple of people I know consider Exhaustion to be a too-little used mechanic, with a few of them tying it to custom magic items.

I'm overall trying to break that with the games I run for players that return session to session. There's been a little bit of push-back, but no one has outright complained when I put my foot down about it. Really hard to properly run a dungeon crawl if the characters are never drained of resources.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Part of the problem is that exhaustion is not a well implemented mechanic to begin with. I'm a big fan of attrition mechanics and multiple death tracks (LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT WFRP3) so I'm very much in favour of exhaustion is a concept, but as implemented it leaves a lot to be desired.

Well yeah that sounds real good!
Part of what I was trying to get at with the basketball analogy was that random rolling can be real good in a game that random rolling is good for, the problem is shoving it into a game that it's not good for. Like D&D 3.x+

Cooking analogy: Barbecuing is fun. Everyone loves to barbeque. Don't barbeque a cake.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Toll the Dead, Magic Missile, and Fireball are all the damage options a Wizard really needs (though casting Dragon's Breath on your Owl familiar is really fun).

This is brilliant. I want to make a guy based around this.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Dregs posted:

This is brilliant. I want to make a guy based around this.

This is what our wizard is doing with his flying monkey. It’s good until the familiar gets poofed in one hit because it drew attention.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

change my name posted:

This is what our wizard is doing with his flying monkey. It’s good until the familiar gets poofed in one hit because it drew attention.

Sounds like D&D balance working correctly to me!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gamerofthegame posted:

Language on the whole is probably best to be ignored unless you can actually use it to set up a narrative, otherwise it's just a skill check. Did someone jot that down on their character sheet? Does a caster have the suitable spell? gently caress you I guess, then.

On the same note, my character was recently able to negotiate past a deadly encounter with troglodytes by the simple fact that I was able to speak their language and say "we aren't here to fight!" Turns out that all the other humans just murder them automatically. They were even cool enough to guide us out of their caves that we would definitely have gotten lost in.

But spoiler alert, I was a Great Old One Warlock so I could speak all languages automatically, and Troglodytes speak their own language, not one that's even in the PHB. So good design on languages paying off :rolleyes:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Splicer posted:

Into the Odd does this, sorta. You roll for stats and hp and then your highest stat and hp determine which loadout you get. The worse your stats are, the better your gear is, generally. Magic comes in the form of "arcanum", or magic items that are generally someone flexible in their use. It's super fun for one-shots though I don't know how well it'd play out over a campaign.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splicer posted:

Cooking analogy: Barbecuing is fun. Everyone loves to barbeque. Don't barbeque a cake.

...I don't know how, but I'm so going to try this in our Sunday session this week.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

That's awesome! If I'm stuck I usually just mash this until it shits out something that sounds fun.

Which today is both of the first two clicks.

Boisterous Half-orc Wizard from an island that can't be reached by boat who is currently on probation for drunk and disorderly behaviour

Snobby Half-elf Paladin from an asylum who doesn't have time for all this prophecy bullshit

Holy crap

CONFIDENT GNOME DRUID FROM A SLAVE MARKET WHO HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM

OBNOXIOUS HALF-ELF BARD FROM A DESTITUTE PLANTATION WHO HAS NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

EAGER HUMAN CLERIC FROM THE SLAVE FIGHTING PITS WHO WAS RAISED BY GHOSTS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RAISED BY GHOSTS is one of those beautiful phrases that I'd never have written myself but drat. TFW your parents never teach you about doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

RAISED BY GHOSTS is one of those beautiful phrases that I'd never have written myself but drat. TFW your parents never teach you about doors.

The Faraway Paladin is a really good novel.