Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Soylent Pudding posted:

In the next session my players will be visiting an exclusive cabaret /inn / brothel looking for a ship captain to question. Can anyone offer interesting side characters and encounters while investigating and looking for the captain, who is trying to remain inconspicuous and does not want to be found?

Random Ideas

The Cabaret performance gives a crude political statement about some worldly events in your campaign. Even if it's just having someone onstage acting as the local sheriff, looking around cluelessly for crime while the cabaret performers dance around behind him.

There are whips for sale from a maker/performer who shows them off (perhaps onstage). This same vendor offers a set of magical manacles: tougher than ordinary manacles, they can be unlocked in two ways: by a key, or when a keyword is spoken by the wearer.

Perhaps the party pull up chairs, or perhaps not. Either way, at a table (theirs or not) there's a spare chair: a customer on their hands and knees with the word "barstool" written on their back. A half orc asks if they can borrow this chair before dragging the "barstool" to a table within the party's sight. If ever the party talk about the captain, the barstool bites their lip, like they want to leave or say something. The conflicted expression is detectable past a certain threshold of passive insight. This barstool knows where the captain is, he wants to warn the captain that someone's after him. They won't warn their captain, though, because they're a barstool. Not until the party gets to the VIP lounge at least. If for whatever reason this terrible barstool heads to the VIP lounge and yells to warn the captain; no one in the VIP lounge reacts at all. Instead the half orc comes back and says "I think this chair's a bit creaky. It might need some repairs."

Are the party unwelcome, causing concern, or acting in a way that draws only mild attention?

I'm not suggesting any of these as a means to be a dick and have the party fail at finding the captain. It's just as a flavoursome alternative to all out carnage if the party do cause some slight concern. After all, the guys running a brothel don't want to frighten the patrons if they can avoid it, so a fight is a last resort.

So, perhaps the place has a security detail who notices the characters acting unusually. The following suggestions are what happens if the establishment are concerned about the party, but also concerned about not causing a fight indoors.

0. A Free Drink
Before the party have caused any alarm, if this is the first time these guards have seen the party, they might offer to pay for a drink. It's just to get in the party's good books. They're not brutish in demeanor, but friendly, almost servile, and always calm. Now on to what happens if there's a slight cause for concern...

1. Are You A Smoker?
A calm and friendly gentleman might ask if a party member is a smoker, offering a pipe of good smelling tobacco. If they follow the man, he leads them out of a side door to an outside area where people are sat smoking in the lovely weather. The guard would stay and have a nice chat about whatever the party member wants to talk about, or about

-how this guard work is easy money,
-how he's thinking about chasing the reward on a (side quest eg a bounty).
-some background thing that's going on.

The thing is: if the party member wanted to get back inside, he'd be refused.

2. Oh, I Saw Him Leave Just Now
If the party are openly asking about the captain, or about looking for someone: in order to get them out of the inn, they'd say "I saw him leave just now." They'd put a few extra footsoldiers on the front door after anyone leaves.

3. One at a time
If the party are split doing separate things, the guards can get the first one out by any means. If that goes undetected, one could try to get the others by whispering to them in a somber tone. They'd say "I saw your friend outside. He's asking for you. I think he might need you."

I'll stop here because the point of this encounter isn't to stop the party from succeeding in the end but to provide alternatives to the worst case scenario in the event that they're mildly unwelcome. Something to do in the gray area between "who are these guys?" and "we need to get them out by force right now", somewhere in the region of "I'm not sure they're here to party."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Further Ideas, Deeper Into Hell

A character from earlier in the campaign walks through the door, sees the party, and walks out.

A character walks from the largest of the Inn's rooms covered in what must be several gallons of clear slime. He's wearing a bathrobe, but repeatedly slips on the goo beneath his feet and needs assistance to get to another room. If the party help, the man goes to another room, dries off, and later returns as a very grateful and perhaps useful figure in the VIP lounge (wearing more than a bathrobe).

A gnome patron is trying to explain to a dimwitted bouncer that they're not a human child.

A sinister person seeks to create some verifiable record that the party have visited this place. Perhaps they use sleight of hand to put one of the establishment's engraved wooden drinks coasters in their pocket for later blackmail purposes.

A sinister person asks the party to create some verifiable record that another individual has visited the place.

If you walk past the largest of the inn's rooms you can hear draconic expressions of lust spoken in a booming bassy voice which rattles the doors.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If anyone protests my ideas I'll remind you the game is called dungeons and dragons.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Idea: there should be a dungeon with a dragon in it

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Alternatively: there should be a dragon, with a dungeon in it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The party warforged gets infested by tiny dragons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dragonatrix posted:

Alternatively: there should be a dragon, with a dungeon in it.

There should be several layers of recursive dungeons with dragons with dungeons in them, starting right from the entire universe being contained within a dragon.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Has anyone in this thread run Redemption of Kelvan (adventure module) into White Plume Mountain (the 5e Yawning Portal version)?

I have an idea to run by the thread.

In Redemption of Kelvan, Kelvan runs off cackling about how he's the wizard Keraptis and he's going to gank Hildehrune to restore his magical power.

The thing is, White Plume Mountain doesn't resolve that plot. My plan is to ensure Ctenmiir and Quesnef play up the fact they're imprinted with the personality and/or visage of Keraptis to then set up for the finale.

At the end of the dungeon the party will gain access to an area in which "Kelvan" and Hildehrune are fighting to the death. Hildehrune looks to be pushing against an unseen force with all of her might, while Kelvan seems to be toying with her, moving her about with a flick of his wrist. Hildehrune explains that Kelvan must be stopped, and that she can't hold him much longer. Kelvan remains calm, even if attacked, giving the party the following offer:

"Consider which of us is to be the easier fight. If you kill her [and leave that sword with me]*, I will let you go."

*If the party have Blackrazor, Kelvan wants to keep it. Also Blackrazor wants to be wielded by Kelvan, but may encourage its current wielder to kill Hildehrune first.

If the party have Whelm, it will encourage its wielder to attack Kelvan through its words.

If the party have Wave it will explain that it could turn the tide of this battle, if only its wielder prays to Neptune. If the character does, for some reason, spend an action praying: the room floods over three rounds, starting with a foot of water to make the area difficult terrain, then above 6ft requiring the characters to swim, then up to the ceiling requiring the characters to fight according to Underwater Combat rules. During this time, Kelvan is held in place by a growing number of starfish clinging to his body.

Hildehrune attacks with a greatsword and has barbarian rage as well as some divine abilities.

Kelvan is an archmage who has been nerfed but also has legendary actions.

This fight replaces the Ifrit at the end of the dungeon.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 17, 2020

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Belated reply but thank you for the comments regarding attributes and feats. The latter is the only real major question to be honest, whether I want any to be selected and just embrace it balance wise or if I want to (as said earlier) limit stuff that is heavily picked; War Caster, Armor/Weapon Expertise and stuff. I have seen some completely cordon such selections off to purely roleplay/career feats, but at the same time there exist more combat orientated feats like Duel Wielding and Charger which are absolutely untouched and probably wouldn't do much damage if available.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Charger is one is a real one of those "why is this a feat" things

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Splicer posted:

I really wanted to do something like this for my monk since it fit my playstyle of charging straight into the thick of things but it just seemed so bad and honestly charging feels like it should be an action, if you charge gain a bonus to your movement and attack at advantage but enemies until the beginning of your next turn get to attack you at advantage or something? Throw in a free shove in there somewhere make it something to either build around or situationally do.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Found a Frostmaiden game and tentatively rolled up a mountain dwarf moon druid working for the Harpers. Excited to use my "cantrips" of "hitting people with a battleax until I can turn into a bear."

Actually, question: My strength and wisdom are already at 16 but my dex is at 13. Is it worth taking Squat Nimbleness at level 4? (Increase str or dex by 1, walking speed increases by 5 feet, gain proficiency in athletics or acrobatics, advantage on getting out of a grapple)
I can't be wildshaped all the time, and bumping up my AC and walking speed, plus picking up Athletics, seems like a pretty good boon.

Or Sentinel? Tracker for Hunter's Mark and an odd wis score for later?

change my name fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 19, 2020

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Splicer posted:

There is a ton of feats in this game which really complement a build but are mediocre enough otherwise that they're not worth picking, or worse force people to pick Variant Human for it. It's why for this level 5 party I am just going to disallow the extremely powerful feats (Lucky, Sharpshooter/Great Weapons Master, and maybe Sentinel/War Caster) and keep everything else.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

SkySteak posted:

There is a ton of feats in this game which really complement a build but are mediocre enough otherwise that they're not worth picking, or worse force people to pick Variant Human for it. It's why for this level 5 party I am just going to disallow the extremely powerful feats (Lucky, Sharpshooter/Great Weapons Master, and maybe Sentinel/War Caster) and keep everything else.

So you hate fighters....good to know.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
fixing 5e by loving martials even harder is a time-honored tradition

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fix 5e by making nature a wisdom skill and not int

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

change my name posted:

Fix 5e by making nature a wisdom skill and not int

Religion too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkySteak posted:

I meant why can't you just charge at guys as a thing. Not the full feat thing with the +5 damage etc, but why is the ability to sprint full loving tilt at someone and not stop dead immediately in front of them an esoteric talent known only to a chosen few?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Madmarker posted:

“useful feats? no thanks just take another asi to wisdom or whatever the gently caress”

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Madmarker posted:

The inclination to Feats which Martials have is actually the reason I didn't just pull the trigger and go with this option ages ago. I knew there was some distaste for Sharpshooter/Great Weapon master at least, but it seems those are most severe in their impact at extremely early level beyond anything else. Really I am just a bit cautious about balance options and didn't want to gently caress anything up right from the get-go.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The best martial feats only put them in contention with casters, don't take them away. imo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I think of making feats more accessible without loving up balance too much, this is what I think of:
  • Everyone gets a free feat at level 1 and periodically thereafter.
  • These feats must be taken from the list of feats that give a +1 stat bonus.
  • You only get that stat bonus if you're taking a level in a pure martial class (fighter/barb/rogue) when you take the feat.
  • You may still take feats as usual in place of an ASI. In such a case, you can choose from the full feat list and do get the stat bonus if there is one. Ditto if your class progression gives feats.

I don't know if this would actually be balanced in practice, but I think it at least moves in the right direction.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SkySteak posted:

The inclination to Feats which Martials have is actually the reason I didn't just pull the trigger and go with this option ages ago. I knew there was some distaste for Sharpshooter/Great Weapon master at least, but it seems those are most severe in their impact at extremely early level beyond anything else. Really I am just a bit cautious about balance options and didn't want to gently caress anything up right from the get-go.

My DM gives everyone a free feat at level one, with Sharpshooter/GW Master/Lucky/Warcaster/ASI excluded. Once you hit your ASI/feat at level 4, anything's fair game. It's worked well so far!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Dramatika posted:

My DM gives everyone a free feat at level one, with Sharpshooter/GW Master/Lucky/Warcaster/ASI excluded. Once you hit your ASI/feat at level 4, anything's fair game. It's worked well so far!

Yeah in this situation it's more everyone gets a free feat but the party is also starting at level 5 (I've always had groups which prefer later level starts). Due to that I am a bit more inclined to allow what you specified (sans ASI) because at this point, the main issues with Sharpshooter/GW Master are fading off.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Does anyone here know of a site with pre-generated character sheets? WotC's website has a bunch for different classes, but one problem is that it doesn't actually break out what the spells do whenever there's a class with spells. It'll just list "You have these spells" but doesn't give any details beyond that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Do you normally have spell descriptions on your character sheet? That’s what the PHB or Basic Rules are for.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kaysette posted:

Do you normally have spell descriptions on your character sheet? That’s what the PHB or Basic Rules are for.

Fair. I was just hoping there would be some pre-gen options that would have that so I could hand the sheets out to new players and they wouldn't have to refer to a book to know what their spells do.

4E used to have a lot of great pre-gens like this:

I just want my players to be able to know what their character can do without using books.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mordiceius posted:

Fair. I was just hoping there would be some pre-gen options that would have that so I could hand the sheets out to new players and they wouldn't have to refer to a book to know what their spells do.

4E used to have a lot of great pre-gens like this:

I just want my players to be able to know what their character can do without using books.
If that's what you want should either play 4e or a different game. 4th edition spells be like,

quote:

Web
Wizard Attack 5
You call into being a giant web made of thick magical strands
that hang in midair, trapping those within it.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Implement, Zone
Standard Action Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: The target is immobilized (save ends).
Effect: The burst creates a zone of webs that fills the area until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. The zone is considered difficult terrain. Any creature that ends its move in the web is immobilized (save ends).
but fifth edition spells be like,

quote:

Web
2nd-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bit of spiderweb)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You conjure a mass of thick, sticky webbing at a point of your choice within range. The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area.
If the webs aren’t anchored between two solid masses (such as walls or trees) or layered across a floor, wall, or ceiling, the conjured web collapses on itself, and the spell ends at the start of your next turn. Webs layered over a flat surface have a depth of 5 feet.
Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or that enters them during its turn must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is restrained as long as it remains in the webs or until it breaks free.
A creature restrained by the webs can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. If it succeeds, it is no longer restrained.
The webs are flammable. Any 5-foot cube of webs exposed to fire burns away in 1 round, dealing 2d4 fire damage to any creature that starts its turn in the fire.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
MorePurpleMoreBetter has excellent character sheets that offer either abbreviated spell descriptions or full length spell cards. Aurora Builder offers something similar.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

If that's what you want should either play 4e or a different game. 4th edition spells be like,

I don't understand why they can't just have "here are normal rear end character sheets and another bonus page that lists spells/abilities"

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

They're the same picture.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Gobbeldygook posted:

So natural!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The bard in the game I'm running is taking College of Spirit, which gives him Tales From Beyond. It says to use a Bardic Inspiration die (1d6) to determine which tale you tell, but the table lists 12 tales. So how would he be able to roll tales 7-12? The description doesn't specify how that works, it just lists the tales.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

sticklefifer posted:

The bard in the game I'm running is taking College of Spirit, which gives him Tales From Beyond. It says to use a Bardic Inspiration die (1d6) to determine which tale you tell, but the table lists 12 tales. So how would he be able to roll tales 7-12? The description doesn't specify how that works, it just lists the tales.
Bardic inspiration scales with level. The die becomes a d8 at 5th Level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Getting ready to play the new Icewind Dale module with a friend as a DM. Really looking forward to this since he's thorough enough that we're talking 3d printed minis, planned playlists for encounters and a dang table with a screen installed to run vtt maps on.

We're still finishing up another online game so everyone is still figuring out their characters and backstories, but I'm pretty excited about the character I've got planned so far.

I rolled pretty good for stats with only one roll being under ten, and the DM lets us move around racial modifiers to put RP over min-maxing.

My character so far is a goblin in his mid-twenties called Junior who was adopted as a child by a group of adventurers who went on to become pretty famous (celebrity adventurers scion background).

They brought him along for a few adventures before deciding that bringing a child into dangerous situations was probably a bit hosed up. By this time they'd gotten their hands on a Deck of Many Things and through pure dumb luck drew the Knight from the deck.

Having gained a trusty fighter they decided to make him the babysitter, leaving Junior in his care while they went out on adventures.

At some point during this one of the party members gives young Junior a small wood figurine of an owlbear to play with. Junior starts having dreams and nightmares about owlbears shortly after this (I got Owlbear Whisperer on the secret roll) and as he reaches maturity he discovers that there is more to the figurine than meets the eye (hello hexblade patron).

The party eventually makes their way to Icewind Dale, tell Junior and his guardian so long and leave - never to be seen again.

Fifteen years later the guardian is recently dead, all the loot the party left behind for them has been sold off to care for him on his death bed and Junior finds he has powers he was not aware of before.

6, 12, 14, 14, 15, 18 with a bunch of languages known thanks to the backstory. Gonna be a (eldritch) blast.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Goddamn Willowisps are loving rough

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

My mom had her first DnD session today (mines of Phendelver), she started off as a Mary Sue sorceress named Moonbeam who wants to protect the innocent and serve justice. Fast forward two hours, she has 2 hp left and is cooking the bugbear boss over his own fire pit to feed the wolves guarding her exit.

:allears:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Eraflure posted:

My mom had her first DnD session today (mines of Phendelver), she started off as a Mary Sue sorceress named Moonbeam who wants to protect the innocent and serve justice. Fast forward two hours, she has 2 hp left and is cooking the bugbear boss over his own fire pit to feed the wolves guarding her exit.

:allears:

Dungeons and Dragons: The Real Monster Manual is the Player's Handbook

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm DM'ing a 5e game and trying to build a dracolich. 5e dragons are kind of boring so I wanted to use it's ascendancy as a lich as an excuse to give it some spells to make it more similar to the dragons from 3.5. Are there any guides for giving spells to monsters? Or should I just whip up a spell list and wing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm DM'ing a 5e game and trying to build a dracolich. 5e dragons are kind of boring so I wanted to use it's ascendancy as a lich as an excuse to give it some spells to make it more similar to the dragons from 3.5. Are there any guides for giving spells to monsters? Or should I just whip up a spell list and wing it?

There's a dracolich in the monster manual, that might be a good place to build inspiration from (and tailor it to your game)