Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Although it is mostly fluff, I wrote up a blog post on looking over various humanoid (not just the type) monsters in the 5th Edition MM/Volo's and imagining how they'd creatively map into the world of al-Qadim.

I did this in part because of how one of the setting's unique ideas is having otherwise iconic "monstrous races" living peacefully among human society due to the unifying Law of the Loregiver. Another is that the Monstrous Races book (and its sequel) on the DM's Guild have playable race versions of just about all of them, which ties the mechanics in well with the setting fluff.

And also because I like al-Qadim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Libertad! posted:

Although it is mostly fluff, I wrote up a blog post on looking over various humanoid (not just the type) monsters in the 5th Edition MM/Volo's and imagining how they'd creatively map into the world of al-Qadim.

I did this in part because of how one of the setting's unique ideas is having otherwise iconic "monstrous races" living peacefully among human society due to the unifying Law of the Loregiver. Another is that the Monstrous Races book (and its sequel) on the DM's Guild have playable race versions of just about all of them, which ties the mechanics in well with the setting fluff.

And also because I like al-Qadim.

This is really cool and makes me want to read more about al-Qadim. I’ve only used FR, Eberron and homebrew settings.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kaysette posted:

This is really cool and makes me want to read more about al-Qadim. I’ve only used FR, Eberron and homebrew settings.

For what its worth Al-Qadim was technically FR. (Along with Kara-Tur, Maztica, and the Hordelands stuff.)

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, it's not all that far off what a modern soldier carries, weight wise. A modern infantryman is often hauling 70-100lbs of poo poo into a fight.

To be fair, modern infantry also aren’t expected to fight in melee combat on a regular basis.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Lucas Archer posted:

To be fair, modern infantry also aren’t expected to fight in melee combat on a regular basis.

Ye olde infantry had to carry a poo poo ton too

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Encumbrance is dumb and boring.

Only check it after the players get dumped into a deep body of water.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Thanks so much for the material maneuvers updates, those were a great addition to my current too railsy hotdq initial DM run. I also found some good "sane magic item price guides" you can probably Google (but I'll post if people want them) after I sold a potion of climbing for 1/10th cost, not knowing better.

The CritRole people hosted a Christmas one shot called The Night Before Critmas that was really charming and especially fun at the end. I think I liked the last Crash Pandas better, but that's much less 5e-y and not in the holiday theme. Murray Crimmas, friends.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I wouldn't mind the exact link for that.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

How does the thread feel about metal dice? I'm considering getting a set for my new players for Christmas (I won't see them until after New year's) but I've read a lot of people don't like them because they don't roll well. If the general consensus is "don't bother with them" then could I get some cool dive recommendations?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Instead of edition wars, can we have setting wars? Clearly, Eberron remains the greatest setting to ever grace these gygaxian pages.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

How does the thread feel about metal dice? I'm considering getting a set for my new players for Christmas (I won't see them until after New year's) but I've read a lot of people don't like them because they don't roll well. If the general consensus is "don't bother with them" then could I get some cool dive recommendations?

I have a couple pairs and I like them just fine. They roll okay, especially in a tray (like the foam bottomed case they came in) with a shallow angle of approach that isn't straight down. They are much heavier, though, which can help rolling sometimes, especially if you catch a d4 on an edge.

That being said all dice are about personal preference and more is almost always better, imo. My only personal requirement is high contrast.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Beast Pussy posted:

How does the thread feel about metal dice?

They’re not great. They’re too heavy to get that bounce and roll you really want, and you absolutely must use a dice box when rolling them unless you want a hammered finish on your table. Even then, plan for a hammered finish as the dice inevitably bounce out of the box or are thrown badly and donk across the table anyways.

If you want a nice dice set in a unique color for your players, Chessex is your go-to and everyone carries them. Most of the small companies like Easy Roller and Kinetic Gadgets seem to use the same supplier in China.

If you want high precision stuff, the Gamescience dice are your go-to, but be warned that if you want a high contrast or metallic inked recess in the die number channels, it’s done with ink that reacts to your skin’s oils, so over time it will rub away.

For my part, Craft Warehouse has some nested square wooden boxes that are a few bucks each. If you buy them and some cheap stain from the hardware store, fit it with a couple of stick-on or glue-on feet, a handle of some sort for the top half, and either cork or felt for the bottom, you can make dice trays for friends in about 1-2 hours each for about $15 if you spread the cost across 3-5 of them.

I wish I had taken photos of the ones I did for some friends to share here, alas. However if you had questions, post here or PM me and I can get all sorts of specific with it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Arthil posted:

I wouldn't mind the exact link for that.

Critmas: https://youtu.be/8zxeGydXY98
Crash Pandas: https://youtu.be/c9EP7jiVJnU
Sane magic item prices: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3dzvsq/sane_magical_item_prices_now_in_convenient_pdf/

Prices are up for debate, obviously, but they seem fairly reasonable to my untrained eye. First comment says they're too cheap, though.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

I have no idea whatsoever how people roll dice such that they have trouble with metal dice. Metal dice roll fine and they look nice and they feel nice. You should buy them if you want functional dice that look and feel nice. Just don't roll them on a wood table that looks and feels nice if it's still supposed to be nice afterwards.

Whatever else you end up with, definitely also get an extra large through fuckoff huge brass d20.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yah metal dice are an excellent way to ding the gently caress out of your table. And IME tend to be super hard to read.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can get metal dice that are easy to read. If I were home now I’d take a picture of some and try to remember where they’re from. I have a Dice Problem.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Instead of edition wars, can we have setting wars? Clearly, Eberron remains the greatest setting to ever grace these gygaxian pages.

ebberon's as bloated and heavy as the rest. i'll fight for points of light/nentir vale

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DJ Dizzy posted:

Al-Qadim

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dragonlance had playable dragonborn before it was cool, has a clear delineation of Good and Bad guys, was progressive enough to have strong women characters early into the genre, and most notably has a set-up that drives people towards Dungeons and Dragons as things to encounter and conquer.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Dragonlance is okay too.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Kender and Gully Dwarves, though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Was there somewhere a link to a page (I think it was a Google doc) giving some consensus on house rules for 5e to improve standard issues? Like giving fighters champion+battlemaster, etc?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Giving Fighters both Champion+Battle Master archetypes combined does nothing to fix them, in a general sense.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Giving Fighters both Champion+Battle Master archetypes combined does nothing to fix them, in a general sense.
What about giving them champion+battle master+Eldritch Knight archetypes?
I wonder what a game with a "choose 3 archetypes in your class get all three benefits" game would play like.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DJ Dizzy posted:

This is impossible to refute.

I still never got Forgotten Realms. What's the allure? Metaplot? Most games I see in it don't use metaplot, and it can't be the map and nations, can it?

edit: Planescape was amazing, but it never got a modern update. Still, Eberron was more fun. Planescape was always hard to have a game that justified the books that described it.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 26, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

I wonder what a game with a "choose 3 archetypes in your class get all three benefits" game would play like.

The problem with Fighters is, perhaps surprisingly, unrelated to how good they're at Fighting.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Fighter's problem isn't that he's not good enough at killing dudes (though making him better at killing dudes probably doesn't break anything)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there anything that could be done with the fighter to improve their narrative strength without implementing Battlemaster maneuvers or something similar? I like the idea of a simple class without huge ability or spell lists to sort through that would be a bit easier on new players who didn't want to dive into that kind of thing. I was thinking of picking out and modifying some of the Battlemaster abilities and giving them out at set levels, and in particular adding a couple of Hercules style "You can do impossible things" moves at mid-higher levels.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there anything that could be done with the fighter to improve their narrative strength without implementing Battlemaster maneuvers or something similar? I like the idea of a simple class without huge ability or spell lists to sort through that would be a bit easier on new players who didn't want to dive into that kind of thing. I was thinking of picking out and modifying some of the Battlemaster abilities and giving them out at set levels, and in particular adding a couple of Hercules style "You can do impossible things" moves at mid-higher levels.

Fighter Monster Hunter archetype (UA).

Also, everyone should keep in mind that any buffs on Fighter totally poo poo on Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue. It's what I meant with "in general"; in a party with all casters you might need to shore up a poor Fighter player with items or abilities, but there isn't any kind of easy fix that works on most tables for this piece of poo poo system.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 26, 2018

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Conspiratiorist posted:

Fighter Monster Hunter archetype (UA).

Also, everyone should keep in mind that any buffs on Fighter totally poo poo on Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue. It's what I meant with "in general"; in a party with all casters you might need to shore up a poor Fighter player with items or abilities, but there isn't any kind of easy fix that works on most tables for this piece of poo poo system.

Yeah, improving Fighter requires that you begin with improvements to martial classes in general, which essentially means a complete reexamination of the system. Which is enough work that you might be better off finding a different system, as lame an answer as that is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm finally getting by Bowbear Assassin together in AL and it feels so good. I gotta work my butt off to keep relevant sometimes, but getting to full RP taking 10 on a sniper shot to the boss to start the fight and having a 50+ damage alpha at level 5 is C H O I C E.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

I don't think D&D really needs these little brother classes if you make your newbies actually play levels 1-3.

Even full casters are running with a limited suite, and the incremental nature of levelling up means you're not handed a 3 page spellbook without context. Rather than this obsession with simple classes I wish WotC would simply write their core books in a way that guides new players and DMs to learn the subtleties of the system by engaging with them.

For instance the discussion on traps ITT wouldn't have happened if instead of assuming every table will have a 4 edition vet who knows how traps are ~*supposed*~ to work they had written the sections on traps for people who have never played.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Merge the fighter with the warlord that never was, which is to say, revive some of the AD&D perks fighters got. Give them something similar to the Rustic Hospitality feature that the folk hero background gets for free, and have that get stronger as they level up. Fighters are natural protagonists; they aren't magical weirdos like most classes, they aren't religious fanatics like paladins, they aren't dirty woodsmen like rangers, and aren't literal thieves like rogues, and so as you go up in level, more and more people trust and love you and are willing to help you. All a fighter has is their personal strength and their reputation, so give them that reputation. You could start it off pretty easy with an increasing boost to charisma skills (since fighters have no reason to have good charisma because of the mechanical dumbfuckery of ability scores (DTAS) this soothes over that) and add other perks to it as they hit higher levels. At lower levels fighters are just a bit better at connecting to others then most other classes are regardless of their actual charisma; after all, they're the one you could see yourself having a beer with. And if you're not playing a friendly fighter, people are just naturally gonna see you as the guy to absolutely not give poo poo to. By mid levels this is just something everyone knows. Think of it maybe as a sort of "passive diplomacy" or "passive intimidation" score, a natural threshold of "This man is your friend; he fights for FREEDOM" versus "Absolutely do not gently caress with that guy, are you kidding me?" And by higher levels, naturally, people are going to follow you to the gates of hell...or they're going to run away in terror at the grim sight of you entering the battlefield. And I need to be clear: this is not something the GM just vaguely keeps in mind, this is something you put into the actual mechanics.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Razorwired posted:

I don't think D&D really needs these little brother classes if you make your newbies actually play levels 1-3.

Even full casters are running with a limited suite, and the incremental nature of levelling up means you're not handed a 3 page spellbook without context. Rather than this obsession with simple classes I wish WotC would simply write their core books in a way that guides new players and DMs to learn the subtleties of the system by engaging with them.

I'm currently working through a write-up on the Official Adventurer's League play through of Waterdeep Heist and the DM (who is one of the people writing the rules for AL) is absolutely infuriating with how he's handling new players. Not only does he get basic rules wrong (when the newbies have the right interpretation in the first place), but his choice to not guide players through how to play to the game is killing me.

For instance, here's a bit from the first notable fight:
  • A rogue PC wants to throw 2 daggers. He tells them "no, you only have 1 attack".
  • A bard(?) PC wants to "spend their turn playing their instrument loudly to distract and get the attention of the monster". This should be cool and good and just be the help action. Instead, he makes them do a perform check, tells them they've enraged the monster who is now focused on them. Mechanically, this does nothing as he doesn't ever have the monster interact with them, and he doesn't have anyone benefit from the action. He establishes the precedent that he's gonna slow down the game to chuck meaningless dice so players can forfeit their turn. It's gross.
  • He gets bored of the combat after like... a round and a half, and has the PCs shortcut the entire rest of the fight with a OHKO action. Half of the players either spent their entire time moving into position (in TotM, no less) and I think only one of them made any sort of meaningful combat action (the rogue who only got to throw her one dagger).
  • It was pretty apparent that some of the people at the table were having a hard time because they were doing raw die rolls and not adding all their modifiers. Taking a second to remind a bunch of level 1s to use their proficiency and attribute modifiers would have been a huge help to the table, and also a good reminder for new players at home.

Overall, it was butts to watch and makes me mad, because it reinforces bad player and DM habits in what could have been a very good teaching session to start the program.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toshimo posted:

[List]
[*]A rogue PC wants to throw 2 daggers. He tells them "no, you only have 1 attack".
[*]Other stupid stuff proving not knowing what minor action can do isn't his only problem.
Okay the only question is why he is even gming a D&D game if combat bother him so much? What a miserable experience for new players.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Infinite Karma posted:

I still never got Forgotten Realms. What's the allure? Metaplot? Most games I see in it don't use metaplot, and it can't be the map and nations, can it?

I think its Forgotten Realms working best as a toolbox. Deep lore coffers, accessible through various forms of media, but in a way that keeps players and DMs from feeling paralyzed by canon. Also, while other settings might be cooler, the traditional method of DMing means that the DM probably read all the cool lore and stylistic advice and his brain is dripping with all of the ingredients--he forgets that he has narrative assumptions the players don't have and fails to communicate all the cool things about the setting he loves.

The DM pictures everything in cool fantasy pulp as he's running Eberron and inadvertently fails to describe any of that since he assumes the players share pulp-colored lenses. The more droll and basic Forgotten Realms (which btw has some end of the empire that provides a background for whatever class/race concept you have) lends to a greater collective understanding and everyone can participate at a deeper level easier. They associate those experiences with the setting and there you go; Forgotten Realms dominance continues.

Basically, Forgotten Realms is the setting that works without homework and more likely for players to have had a resonant experience with.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

More dudes. You are more dudes. At level 1 you are one dude and at level 3 you are a 2 dudes and at level 20 you are a platoon of conans.

You take up more space on the battlefield, and you can choose the shape of that space, and make your attacks from any part of that space. You get a bonus to do any in combat stuff that a bunch of dudes could do better than one dude, and also some rules about what makes sense in fiction that single characters can't do (eg, grapple 4 dudes at once and still get all your attacks).

Out of combat, you solve a bunch of the "but but but my realism" type stuff because 5 brawny dudes working together can do way more than 5 times what one (irl) dude can do no matter how tough he is.

I've worked up a couple of relatively complicated versions, but it could also be almost that simple.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Toshimo posted:

I'm currently working through a write-up on the Official Adventurer's League play through of Waterdeep Heist and the DM (who is one of the people writing the rules for AL) is absolutely infuriating with how he's handling new players. Not only does he get basic rules wrong (when the newbies have the right interpretation in the first place), but his choice to not guide players through how to play to the game is killing me.

For instance, here's a bit from the first notable fight:
  • A rogue PC wants to throw 2 daggers. He tells them "no, you only have 1 attack".
  • A bard(?) PC wants to "spend their turn playing their instrument loudly to distract and get the attention of the monster". This should be cool and good and just be the help action. Instead, he makes them do a perform check, tells them they've enraged the monster who is now focused on them. Mechanically, this does nothing as he doesn't ever have the monster interact with them, and he doesn't have anyone benefit from the action. He establishes the precedent that he's gonna slow down the game to chuck meaningless dice so players can forfeit their turn. It's gross.
  • He gets bored of the combat after like... a round and a half, and has the PCs shortcut the entire rest of the fight with a OHKO action. Half of the players either spent their entire time moving into position (in TotM, no less) and I think only one of them made any sort of meaningful combat action (the rogue who only got to throw her one dagger).
  • It was pretty apparent that some of the people at the table were having a hard time because they were doing raw die rolls and not adding all their modifiers. Taking a second to remind a bunch of level 1s to use their proficiency and attribute modifiers would have been a huge help to the table, and also a good reminder for new players at home.

Overall, it was butts to watch and makes me mad, because it reinforces bad player and DM habits in what could have been a very good teaching session to start the program.

God this sounds absolutely horrible.

How is it someone in charge of writing rules for their Big Thing to make the game more accessible to people with time constraints etc be so incompetent at it? I've never DMed before, even though I'd like to, and I know I could handle all the stuff you described better.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

God this sounds absolutely horrible.

How is it someone in charge of writing rules for their Big Thing to make the game more accessible to people with time constraints etc be so incompetent at it? I've never DMed before, even though I'd like to, and I know I could handle all the stuff you described better.

Mike Mearls, in a session that was supposed to advertise the game, gated an adventure behind a check that nobody passed and then had them just keep on rolling until somone rolled high enough to be allowed to continue playing D&D.

So yeah. The answer is that "...and a demonstrable fuckup was put in charge" has been fairly constant for long enough that it's tradition now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

piL posted:

I think its Forgotten Realms working best as a toolbox. Deep lore coffers, accessible through various forms of media, but in a way that keeps players and DMs from feeling paralyzed by canon. Also, while other settings might be cooler, the traditional method of DMing means that the DM probably read all the cool lore and stylistic advice and his brain is dripping with all of the ingredients--he forgets that he has narrative assumptions the players don't have and fails to communicate all the cool things about the setting he loves.

The DM pictures everything in cool fantasy pulp as he's running Eberron and inadvertently fails to describe any of that since he assumes the players share pulp-colored lenses. The more droll and basic Forgotten Realms (which btw has some end of the empire that provides a background for whatever class/race concept you have) lends to a greater collective understanding and everyone can participate at a deeper level easier. They associate those experiences with the setting and there you go; Forgotten Realms dominance continues.

Basically, Forgotten Realms is the setting that works without homework and more likely for players to have had a resonant experience with.

I guess I don't get this part. I end up reading the FR setting book, as both a player and a DM, and this hasn't been my experience. Everything being generic and basic seems to mean that only the things that come up at the table (not things you understand from the book) are worth mentioning, because people from the Sword Coast or the Shining South or the Dalelands or Waterdeep really aren't very different. If you aren't doing the homework, how is anything from the setting resonating with anyone?

Eberron is cool because of the pulp feeling, but mainly because you can look at people from different nations, or different guilds, or different experiences from the Last War, and they do have significant differences. A halfling from the city is going to be very different from a halfling hunter-gatherer from the open plains. An elf ancestor-worshipper is very different from a mainland elf.