Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A fun concept that managed to pack down most of it's source material (a young adult novel where predatory cities wander the apocalyptic plains absorbing each other) well, but let down by execrable dialog constructed by bolting together cliche hollywoodese. In that respect and in the way narrative logic takes precedence over 'realism', it reminds me of that goon favourite, star wars, especially the recent movies.

Given what they had to work with, I won't pass judgement on the young cast, but it's nice to see Hugo Weaving again and I liked the mannerisms of the Lord Mayor until he was killed in the most boring way possible. Pirate revolutionary Anna Fang is lionized throughout the movie and it's about as convincing as when 1990s squares put on dark glasses and a blues rock band and thought they were cool. More on the production than the actress.

The Traction city of London and it's WW-II-esque Anti-Aircraft defenses are nicely realized but I would have liked to glimpse the evolution of the other major cities of the world that inhabited the plains. I enjoyed the palette including wonderful ideas such as 'Green' and 'Yellow' that I've missed in recent years.

2/5 stars + a pity star because I wanted to like it and it wasn't based on a comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Didn't this fail because Hollywood somehow still hasn't figured out the general movie going public simply isn't interested in the goofy poo poo weirdos do on the internet?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I saw this and it could have been pretty good had they not botched the execution.

The fact that almost every scene had to be referencing or straight out ripping dialogue from other movies was extremely annoying to me.