Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goonerousity

aww yeah
I can actually change my voice. I can do Spanish people, Chinese people, and I think aussie/English. works great when im trying to get out of the nuthouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stooge

Whenever I try and do an accent for a specific country, it always turns into another country.

So if I try and do a New Zealand accent it turns into south african, and vice versa

fookin prawns

Twenty Four

twoday posted:

Wow, it’s pretty awesome to bump into one of 15,000 fluent speakers of a language I was reading about the other day.

I have had a weird life and moved around between many countries so I speak many languages, though they are mostly european (though I tried to learn a few Asian languages) and as I currently live in Europe I don’t think I have many speakers around me to learn from. I have been doing some lessons on websites and I just bought some books and audio lessons to do.

Not from Bville, and I’m not Native American so I’m not from any clan, though when I was looking up the origins of my family name I came to the conclusion that it is an old weird word for some kind of bird.

This post sounds so interesting! Like its only 1/100 of whats going on in your life!

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
98% of my life is posting on the forums, 1% is sleep, and 10% is eating

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Macnult

I bear a family curse known as the Long Island accent

Sparky2

A loose cannon with a tight shot group.
Irish, Scotts, visiting German, Long Island, Australian, snobbish Brit, New York wiseguy, trailer park Southern.

That's about it.

:/

Am I alone in this?
Am I alone?

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
As mentioned, I have been in Chile since 2016, and have not returned to the United States. I may have developed an accent, without knowing it.

There are a few ways I have changed my speech on purpose. Like, Spanish vowels are more open, so I have started saying owdio, instead of audio, even when speaking English. I have also changed my vocabulary a little...like using "commence" (because that is the Spanish verb) instead of "start". And pronouncing them in a Spanish fashion. "It is time that we CO-mence" instead of "It is time to start". I sometimes wonder what will happen to me back in the United States.

alnilam

glowing-fish posted:

As mentioned, I have been in Chile since 2016, and have not returned to the United States. I may have developed an accent, without knowing it.

There are a few ways I have changed my speech on purpose. Like, Spanish vowels are more open, so I have started saying owdio, instead of audio, even when speaking English. I have also changed my vocabulary a little...like using "commence" (because that is the Spanish verb) instead of "start". And pronouncing them in a Spanish fashion. "It is time that we CO-mence" instead of "It is time to start". I sometimes wonder what will happen to me back in the United States.

Every time i (native english speaker) go more than 2 days of primarily speaking another language I'm all hosed up when i come back. One time it was 2 months speaking german and the first non german exposure i had was going to the netherlands, which when you hear it in passing sounds like german with english phonemes. It majorly hosed with my head.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

glowing-fish posted:

I sometimes wonder what will happen to me back in the United States.

we will kick your rear end for talking funny, obvs

haha, nah, srsly we will kick your rear end.

Space Taxi
After a few whiskeys, I can do a drunken accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkingBasically
something awful post out