Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

First off apologies for creating a new thread if that's not considered to be the done thing, I just wanted to post a collection of photographs and didn't think it would be particularly kosher to spam them all into one of the megathreads. This is one of the first times I've set out specifically for the purpose of photographing one area and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cockatoo Island is a 32 acre island in Sydney harbour, likely once used as fishing base for Australian aboriginal peoples who called it Wa-rea-mah, it was cleared and converted into a convict prison island by Europeans between 1839 and 1869.

Convict forced labour was used cut a sandstone quarry into the island, and to build a dry dock and shipyard starting around 1847.

In 1913 the island was transferred to the commonwealth government and became the shipbuilding base for the royal Australian navy throughout WWI through to 1933.

The shipbuilding facilities on the island were decommissioned in 1991, after which a significant portion of the facilities on the island including buildings and machinery were left in-tact. The island and its facilities were listed as a UNESCO world heritage site in 2010 due to its historical significance. Now-days the island is mostly used for tourism purposes, you can camp on the island overnight and art exhibitions are frequently held there (the most well-known being the Sydney Biennale). If you're ever visiting Sydney it's a ~15 minute ferry ride from the city centre and IMO well worth a few hours of exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is suuuuper loving cool, i love it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I think you’ve captured some great images, and the B&W treatment has yielded some awesome results—this old industrial stuff makes for really cool subject matter.

This one, for example, looks like it could’ve been taken 50 years ago.

Thanks for sharing!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Thanks for the feedback so far! Oh I realised I forgot to add one more photo, this is looking up through the smokestack of the small coal powerplant that used to generate electricity for the island.

I was aiming for gritty and contrasty to fit the mood of the island and age of the machinery and facilities but I think I went overboard with my selection of film and processing method, I'd probably tone it down just a little in the future.