Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it depends on how much you like stock footage. that's what most of the show consists of.
That's unfortunate. I mean, I have nothing against stock footage ("henshin!" sequences are my jam), but if the show is all stock footage, all the time, that's less than encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

Round things don't have edges.

Tell that to American box art Kirby.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chances are Kaguya is going to be the only anime I watch in 2019. Hopefully it'll be good.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gmq posted:

Chances are Kaguya is going to be the only anime I watch in 2019. Hopefully it'll be good.

It's gonna be really good, I'm pumped.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't think there's a lot of intersection between Slime and Overlord. They're both Isekai with untouchable protagonists and that's about it.
The time Overlord was most similar to slime was the too long bit where it just followed Ainz pretending to be an adventurer.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
This is the only problem I with Slime. I'm so far ahead and know what's coming that I deal with the frustration of wanting to talk about and answer things about Slime, but so many would be MASSIVE spoilers that I can't even hide post them and would only be able to talk about them via PM.

Edit: With regards to Overlord, Ainz would be full to drat near full negative karma and Rimuru the opposite of that(though he's not averse to lethal force) and Ainz is very much the strongest guy in his setting while Rimuru isn't. Also Overlord has had more time to flesh it's characters out. With all of that in mind, I really truly can't recommend the manga and LN's enough since they flesh things out in terms of world building and characters.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 24, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The biggest similarity between Slime and Overlord is that I wish each setting had its own kickin rad strategy simulation game. I want to reborn as a homonculus janitor of the 7th floor of the Great Tomb of Nazarick and work my way up to shift manager.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Cappy posted:

The biggest similarity between Slime and Overlord is that I wish each setting had its own kickin rad strategy simulation game. I want to reborn as a homonculus janitor of the 7th floor of the Great Tomb of Nazarick and work my way up to shift manager.

Slime sort of does with a mobile game. Warning for spoilers though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

They are both wish fulfillment isekais but I'd much prefer people wishing they could be Slime than Ainz.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

Boy howdy, does the eu4 modding community have some highly janky projects that never get updated for you.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't think there's a lot of intersection between Slime and Overlord. They're both Isekai with untouchable protagonists and that's about it.

Untouchable protags whose main goal is to encounter other earthlings while navigating their own band of monsters through the politics of the world. Also lizardmen and especially lizardmen loving.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Boy howdy, does the eu4 modding community have some highly janky projects that never get updated for you.

I said kickin' rad! Not janky!

gmq posted:

They are both wish fulfillment isekais but I'd much prefer people wishing they could be Slime than Ainz.

Yeah, I wish they didn't have lines about Demiurge keeping a people farm and Ainz throwing the workers into the eternal torture zone. It would make the setting a lot more enjoyable, even if Ainz remains evil overall.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: With regards to Overlord, Ainz would be full to drat near full negative karma and Rimuru the opposite of that(though he's not averse to lethal force) and Ainz is very much the strongest guy in his setting while Rimuru isn't. Also Overlord has had more time to flesh it's characters out. With all of that in mind, I really truly can't recommend the manga and LN's enough since they flesh things out in terms of world building and characters.

Fair, but also Overlord actively makes me hate all of the characters so it's all wasted effort. Also I feel like it entirely forgot what the premise of the show was in favor of indulgently being evil as gently caress like all the time. I loved season 1 but dropped off hard on season 2.

As for comparing the two, I feel like both have a similar structure. A powerful new player enters the political landscape with powerful but budding nations of their own creation. In both shows, the general plot of the show has been learning about and dealing with various elements of the world. Where they diverge is that Ains is the king of evil shitheads and Rimuru is an optimistic leader just trying to help people out with his unique powers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reminder to watch the Mizushima air force anime with girls, not the other one

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

Fair, but also Overlord actively makes me hate all of the characters so it's all wasted effort. Also I feel like it entirely forgot what the premise of the show was in favor of indulgently being evil as gently caress like all the time. I loved season 1 but dropped off hard on season 2.

As for comparing the two, I feel like both have a similar structure. A powerful new player enters the political landscape with powerful but budding nations of their own creation. In both shows, the general plot of the show has been learning about and dealing with various elements of the world. Where they diverge is that Ains is the king of evil shitheads and Rimuru is an optimistic leader just trying to help people out with his unique powers.

Nothing major, but I'll still mark with spoiler tags.

A good comparison for Rimuru would be the Straw Hat crew from One Piece. They're good decent people who happen to be parts of groups with very nasty reputations, though there's tremendous variety in terms of ethics and personalities within said groups, both Rimuru and the Strawhats are seen as major outliers. They both are also major harbringrers of change, usually through tremendous chaos and the world basically has to now adapt to these changes and the people causing them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

:hai:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That's the one by the crew who made Shirobako, right?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/st05254/status/1077100121983078401

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looks like I get the honours of prepping Winter 2019's first series-specific thread for 5toubun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

hell yeah

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ace attorney is still going on! It's in its last two cases. I'm really excited for the next arc.

#Zombeefcake

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thread added to the OP :toot:

quote:

5-Toubun no Hanayome
Tezuka Productions | Satoshi Kuwabara | Keiichirou Oochi | Comedy, Romance, Ecchi | Manga | Jan 10, 2019
One day, a poor high school second-year named Futaro Uesugi comes across a private tutoring gig with good pay. But his pupils are his classmates!! And they’re quintuplets!! A-and they’re all gorgeous girls, but they’re also troublemakers who hate to study and are on the verge of flunking out! And his first task is simply gaining the sisters’ trust?! Every day is a party! The curtain is rising on the Nakano quintuplets’ quirky romantic comedy with five times the cute!!
Thread

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
In keeping with my brand I will be watching the cat show

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
really missed the boat not giving it a siren, julias

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Everything Burrito posted:

really missed the boat not giving it a siren, julias

Eh, I'll give it a radcat later

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

That's the one by the crew who made Shirobako, right?

Yup and Mizushima has been on fire so I'm down as long as this doesn't cause the rest of the GuP films to get delayed (they will be because what is GuP without delays)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cat show seems like it could be neat, ill be waiting on your take once it starts.

E: What the consensus on the original Boogiebop Phantom show? I've never watched it or heard much about it, but I guess people like it enough that the new one warrants a :siren:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 24, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the competent part of the original was the op, so just look that up on google

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im going to give cat novelist a shot too because I adopted some strays and they are magical beings of chaos and love.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been reading the manga of that one and it is very cute and heartwarming :3:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cats make everything better.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So the hype around SAO Aliciazation got me to go back and retry season 2. And for the most part it was just as hopelessly boring as I remember it being. Had it's moments, and I like the idea of exploring trauma they way they kind of tried to, but pretty dumb and boring overall.

And then it got all rapey.

Wow. They just can't leave a good (well, marginally ok) thing be. They just had to go and gently caress it up with more attempted rape, this time with a side of attempted murder-suicide.

Aliciazation better be worth this slog.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I have some bad news for you.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I can't tell if that means you've finished GGO or not but feel free to not watch any of it! Episode 15 is when season 2 starts.

Alice has been very fun. I mean presumably you want to watch SAO, which is what it is!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

So the hype around SAO Aliciazation got me to go back and retry season 2. And for the most part it was just as hopelessly boring as I remember it being. Had it's moments, and I like the idea of exploring trauma they way they kind of tried to, but pretty dumb and boring overall.

And then it got all rapey.

Wow. They just can't leave a good (well, marginally ok) thing be. They just had to go and gently caress it up with more attempted rape, this time with a side of attempted murder-suicide.

Aliciazation better be worth this slog.

just drop the loving show lmao
i'm pretty sure multiple people said to not bother when you posted about having dropped the original

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

kater posted:

I can't tell if that means you've finished GGO or not but feel free to not watch any of it! Episode 15 is when season 2 starts.

Alice has been very fun. I mean presumably you want to watch SAO, which is what it is!

Well, I just made it all the way to 15 after fast for wording through the recap ep so... yay?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Watch GGO alternative and nothing else.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

just drop the loving show lmao
i'm pretty sure multiple people said to not bother when you posted about having dropped the original

I was in a morbidly curious mood. Same reason I still plan to watch Shield Hero despite the red flags raised about it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Actually nevermind, you need to watch it all to truly appreciate

kater fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I was in a morbidly curious mood. Same reason I still plan to watch Shield Hero despite the red flags raised about it.

"..."