Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's actually pretty drat bad. Though maybe it should win some sort of award for taking every dumb thing the Germans or Austrians did during WW1 and deciding that no actually the Allies did it to make the protag look better.

I don't understand this post because Tanya is made out to be the world's premiere piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I meant better as in "more capable" not as in "more moral"

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think that's entirely fair. Many times she gets the upper hand by being an amoral shitbag rather than pure competence. The show does absolutely make her out to be pretty competent but a lot of that I think can be attributed to her being a shrewd motherfucker who uses knowledge of WW2 and modern military from her origins in the real world to give her an unfair advantage.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The show regularly and quite explicitly bases the actions of her enemies off of real mistakes made by commanders in WW1. About half of these obvious blunders were committed by her side in the real WW1. So you have a WW1 where one side is cartoonish baffoons who manage to make 100% of the well known mistakes, and the other makes none.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Julias posted:

Just because something is good, does not mean that somebody will want to go watch it

i still haven’t gotten to season one of mob psycho 100 so this is accurate. though maybe i’ll finally watch it during this otherwise mostly off season...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

A Tin Of Beans posted:

i still haven’t gotten to season one of mob psycho 100 so this is accurate. though maybe i’ll finally watch it during this otherwise mostly off season...

If you do decide to watch it, please give it a 3 episode test. As someone who thought it was one of the best animes of the year, I wasn't so hot on the first episode, but the payoff of episode 2 and all of episode 3 sold me on the rest of the show, which only continues to improve from there.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The show regularly and quite explicitly bases the actions of her enemies off of real mistakes made by commanders in WW1. About half of these obvious blunders were committed by her side in the real WW1. So you have a WW1 where one side is cartoonish baffoons who manage to make 100% of the well known mistakes, and the other makes none.

If you had to pick the two biggest examples of what you're saying, what would they be? I'm curious.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The one I remember off the top of my head is marching into an enemy's artillery practice range which was something the Austrians did running straight into Serbian artillery.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Julias posted:

If you do decide to watch it, please give it a 3 episode test. As someone who thought it was one of the best animes of the year, I wasn't so hot on the first episode, but the payoff of episode 2 and all of episode 3 sold me on the rest of the show, which only continues to improve from there.
Yeah Mob really benefits from sticking it out a bit. I like the early stuff a lot but if that doesn't get you, then it really tips its hand at like Ep 4 or 5

Like it sounded bad you basically need to watch half the season to say if you like it but the moment where Mobs big emotional 100% power outburst is Sadness and he reconstructs the school he just exploded while curling into a ball, sobbing that he hurt people again and hes failed in his only goal, sure now more than ever that he'll never be normal is Perfect

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's actually pretty drat bad. Though maybe it should win some sort of award for taking every dumb thing the Germans or Austrians did during WW1 and deciding that no actually the Allies did it to make the protag look better.

Well she is basically from the future so she pretty much knows what not to do at any given point and you do see incompetent members of the military on her side as well like the idiots from the first episode.

Also her side does make one very, very big mistake right at the end of the season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Well she is basically from the future so she pretty much knows what not to do at any given point and you do see incompetent members of the military on her side as well like the idiots from the first episode.

Also her side does make one very, very big mistake right at the end of the season.

Yeah, her side basically has a cheat sheet with Tanya being a history nerd constantly writing up papers on how things are going to go, and they still guarantee their own loss with some first class overconfidence.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh right now that I think about it this fantasy version of WW1 Germany also for some reason appears to lack independently powerful nobility, given the abilility to screw up operations by operating without real oversight.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

WTF are you talking about the Empire general staff keeps loving up and squandering whatever gains Tanya makes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also lmfao they are making an anime of one of the few mangas that became too disgusting for me

https://twitter.com/KyochuRetto/status/1078125459890626561

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lol the bug island manga. that poo poo was so stupid

also announced today, another girl oda nobunaga anime

:worship:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait, is this the same big island as that one Wii game no one played?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:abrathink:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Interested in the Promised Neverland.
The first arc in the manga was amazing. And given the proper treatment, this could become a huge success.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah same, I've heard nothing but good things.

Plutonis posted:

WTF are you talking about the Empire general staff keeps loving up and squandering whatever gains Tanya makes
Maybe it just wasn't covered or I wasn't paying attention but I didn't see idiot nobles given army commissions due to birth, only the idiot career soldiers. Those should be two separate factions arguing with each-other.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, is this the same big island as that one Wii game no one played?

Nope, this was just an incredibly stupid horror manga that was desperately trying to be edgy as gently caress. It was mocked pretty heavily when it came out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nope, this was just an incredibly stupid horror manga that was desperately trying to be edgy as gently caress. It was mocked pretty heavily when it came out.

Ah, so obviously this means Crunchyroll will be putting their full marketing weight behind it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's just an OAD being packaged with a manga volume iirc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/tmsanime/status/1078374888669233152

BLACK JACKET

BLACK JACKET

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Black is far too normal a color for jackets; it breaks the trend. Although I suppose that after all the problems Lupin had due to being too well-known in Part 5, switching to a less conspicuous outfit makes sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, blue isn't an outlandish jacket color.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah same, I've heard nothing but good things.
Maybe it just wasn't covered or I wasn't paying attention but I didn't see idiot nobles given army commissions due to birth, only the idiot career soldiers. Those should be two separate factions arguing with each-other.

It's not covered well, maybe mentioned by the narrator and characters, but Tanya's primarily the one making dramatic gains. Everyone else is mostly just holding the line. There certainly is a bias in depiction (Tanya is a genius! The Empire's enemies cannot understand her genius!) but the Empire's gains are usually either by her direct action or by following through on theories and ideas she laid out previously in the academy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, blue isn't an outlandish jacket color.

No, but that shade of blue is rather distinctive compared to a black jacket.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1078414159736270848

Crunchyroll's simuldubbing Mob 2.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

I don’t believe them

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

dogsicle posted:

it's just an OAD being packaged with a manga volume iirc

Even so, those are usually pilots for a full series, so somebody thought an anime was something that should be made.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...cr_top-bar_news

Apparently Eastern Europe loves Darling in the Franxx, which makes a disturbing amount of sense. The rest of the world mostly prefers MHA, Boruto, and Black Clover, though.

Edit: This probably came across as more of a sweeping generalization than I intended. Not all Eastern Europeans, etc.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 28, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At least Korea knows what's up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

At least Korea knows what's up.

Specifically North Korea. I didn't know Crunchyroll was even available there! (Probably it's just South Koreans living near the DMZ being mis-geolocated, but it's funny to imagine that yuri anime is super-popular in North Korea.)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

lol the bug island manga. that poo poo was so stupid

also announced today, another girl oda nobunaga anime

:worship:

hell yeah im ready

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The real wtf is Central African Republic repping Hanebado.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

Specifically North Korea. I didn't know Crunchyroll was even available there! (Probably it's just South Koreans living near the DMZ being mis-geolocated, but it's funny to imagine that yuri anime is super-popular in North Korea.)

The Map shows South Korea liking Citrus, and North Korea Liking Boruto, so I'm assuming whomever wrote the blurb up googled the wrong name for South Korea.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

The real wtf is Central African Republic repping Hanebado.

It's called good taste.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_twitter_news

A Jump gag manga that started in September is getting an anime in April.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_twitter_news

A Jump gag manga that started in September is getting an anime in April.

I still think these character designs are really awful. I never read the manga, so hopefully the anime adaptation is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's surprising that they got it so early. I mean, a gag manga is obviously going to be easier to adapt earlier, but in the competitive world of Jump, getting successful enough four months into your publication to get an anime greenlit is still impressive.