Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the 2019 World Junior Championship
This poll is closed.
:canada: 19 46.34%
:911: 7 17.07%
:sweden: 1 2.44%
:finland: 5 12.20%
:ussr: 0 0%
:denmark: 2 4.88%
Slovakia 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Czech Republic 1 2.44%
Kazakhstan 6 14.63%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

JoelJoel posted:

Brutal luck but that was a really fun game. Good on those plucky finns. Canucks should have shot more. Not sure how you dominate posession so much and muster like 25 on net.

Toe drags (that get swiped away) and lovely flip passes that bounce away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Weird to have a world juniors where the US won't play Canada at any point. If the Czechs or Slovaks can upset then they won't play Russia either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Actually?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shappa posted:

Good riddance to the softest and most gutless team Canada I can remember at this tournament, and gently caress Vancouver for cheering these idiots like they accomplished anything besides embarrassing themselves.

Don’t put yourself in a position in your home barn where “bad luck” is your scapegoat.

The WJC is rife with individual efforts and playing against all teams like they're Denmark, but this team was a brutal offender. Gotta feel for dipietro tho.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that team canada brass fielded a team in which their captain is the most unlikable player in the tourney and is openly mocked by other teams. Quite the statement about the program.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canada scored 14 goals in their first game then 10 in their next 4.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

JoelJoel posted:

The WJC is rife with individual efforts and playing against all teams like they're Denmark, but this team was a brutal offender. Gotta feel for dipietro tho.

I really liked how they gave him player of the game. He deserved it but I also took it as a low key “you guys suck” to the rest of the team.

Like “hey you know that goalie who just gave up the winning goal? He’s still better than all of you”

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/eddielack/status/1079952355070685184

I ain't even mad :unsmith:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

They build and coach their teams to clown opponents with half the skill and size. Makes for a few fun clownings, but they only get by better teams with individual efforts. I'm sure they'll learn for next year lol

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Don Cherry is going to say “Hockey Gods” a lot on saturday night

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don Cherry is gonna call Tim Hunter a twat for letting Comtois take the penalty shot.

He's also gonna rag on the fragile sticks these kids are using these days.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powershift posted:

Don Cherry is gonna call Tim Hunter a twat for letting Comtois take the penalty shot.

Yeah, that felt particularly dumb. Lol, loving hunter.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
shouldnt have let frankenstein coach the team

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

shouldnt have let frankenstein coach the team

It's Frankenstein's monster. Frankenstein was the doctor :goonsay:

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
man, Switzerland looked awesome today

I can't help but imagine what might have been for Sweden in this tournament if they hadn't got ravaged by the flu, because they looked incredible early in the tournament, but way she goes boys

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Shappa posted:

Good riddance to the softest and most gutless team Canada I can remember at this tournament, and gently caress Vancouver for cheering these idiots like they accomplished anything besides embarrassing themselves.

Don’t put yourself in a position in your home barn where “bad luck” is your scapegoat.

Canadianhockeymom.txt

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sadly R-Lam is more interested in left political drama than hockey at this point, so I'll just say it: it's coming home

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

sadly R-Lam is more interested in left political drama than hockey at this point, so I'll just say it: it's coming home

USA proceeds to finish 4th

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Russians will beat the US then lose to Finland it is foretold

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

T-Bone posted:

The Russians will beat the US then lose to Finland it is foretold

Exactly like WW2, I like it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1081236238709940227?s=19

friendship ended with DENMARK

now KAZAKHSTAN are my new best friends

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fits posted:

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1081236238709940227?s=19

friendship ended with DENMARK

now KAZAKHSTAN are my new best friends

same, OP

scored on the first shot

Kale
May 14, 2010

I love how Canada either still just chokes in the quarters or wins the whole tournament without losing a single game. No intermediary result. Losing to Finland in OT in a low scoring game isn't too bad, but I can't say I had expected it to be them either. If they were going to get bounced by anyone I would have figured it to be Sweden, USA or Russia in that order of likeliest to least likely. They also haven't been by far and away the best team in the Juniors in years (lately I'd say Sweden seems to bring the strongest looking teams on paper), it's so much more even between the top 4 these days.

Anyway considering Sweden also got bounced early says a lot about the state of this tournament and how any team has a realistic chance of beating any team now unless they're Kazakhstan or Denmark. United States had some close games against Slovakia and Czech Republic too.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2019

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Kazakhstan is winning silver

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

It’s coming home

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
The Russian kids are a mess

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Go Swiss

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
That Russian captain was not a happy man when given his new watch.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
USA, baby. We're winning it all.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

RIP Swiss

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finland vs US is the most boring outcome of this whole shindig.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

:finland: looking pretty solid tonight

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1081413150656757760

:stare:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Coach owns

Kale
May 14, 2010

This guy needs to coach Switzerland and give interviews forever now sorry. The Canadian hockey establishment must loving hate him for not just speaking in cliches

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kale posted:

This guy needs to coach Switzerland and give interviews forever now sorry. The Canadian hockey establishment must loving hate him for not just speaking in cliches

Then again I have a feeling what he said might be a hockey cliche in his native language.

Finnish hockey analysts tend to say that kind of stuff all the time too, like a team or their fans can be "horny" or "in heat". Certainly not so common figure of speech in North America though

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

booooo refs booooo kostin boooooooooooooo

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
switzerland wasnt horny enough to win. rip

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Stupid fuckin rule, USA got jobbed on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
What did they even call there? Crease violation?