Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the 2019 World Junior Championship
This poll is closed.
:canada: 19 46.34%
:911: 7 17.07%
:sweden: 1 2.44%
:finland: 5 12.20%
:ussr: 0 0%
:denmark: 2 4.88%
Slovakia 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Czech Republic 1 2.44%
Kazakhstan 6 14.63%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Thanks for making the thread this year, I didn't get around to doing a huge effort post this year.

I think this is going to be a great tournament. Both groups are fairly even and I have a gut feeling we're looking at another USA-Canada gold medal game. Canada is probably the favorite this year, the dark horse to unseat them is going to be the opposite group. USA or Finland, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Canucks fans should be watching the US with interest and praying they blow the rest of the season for a Hughes brothers reunion in Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

Quinn is nasty. Great skater, great vision. He'll never be a physical guy at his size but I think he could be a Torey Krug kind of player which would be a huge boon for Vancouver.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Last year's tournament was a down year imo, but I think the tournament has been just as good or better than it always has been the last few years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like none of the rosters wowed me last year, it was just a bad year for the tournament overall. I mostly only hone in on team USA and this is one of the more fun rosters I've seen recently. A lot of good players top to bottom with top prospects for quite a few NHL teams, and then you have Jack Hughes who's a probable top two pick and Spencer Knight, one of the best goalie prospects in the last decade or so.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't follow the World Juniors that closely, but don't Canada and the US usually always play in the same Group? Has it changed this year?

no, it's just happened to work out that way in the past few years. I really have no idea how the seeding works for the preliminary round and I'm not having luck finding any information.

It is pretty rare that it doesn't happen though. Last time USA and Canada weren't in the same group was 2011.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kilza posted:

Excluding last year (where the organizers had Canada and USA in the same group on purpose for the outdoor game), group seeding uses the previous tournament's standings like this:

Group A:
1st place
4th place
5th place
8th place
9th place

Group B:
2nd place
3rd place
6th place
7th place
Promoted team from Div I

thanks for clearing it up. I knew it was some nonsense.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Do we think Canada wins against Denmark tomorrow by a dozen goals or only 10

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
good job by the Swiss, they played a great game even if they lost

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Kazakhstan looks better than I thought they would. Clearly not as talented but they all skate well and their goalie looks good so far.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 28, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Bjay9 posted:

Anybody else really like the Kazakhstan jerseys?

yeah those whip

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I guess scratching Jack Hughes makes sense because you don't want him to get hurt or whatever against Kazakhstan, but also, what the gently caress come on

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
obviously i want team usa to win but i have a lot of respect for kazakhstans "lets just try to cherry pick the whole game" strategy

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thats perfect since the flyers strategy seems to be to lose every game 6-5 or 7-6 or whatever

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Kazakhs really don't look that bad even if they're getting blown out

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
guaranteed the US goalie doesn't play another game. Keyser and Knight are better, waiting to see if Knight gets any action. I was kind of thinking he'd get this start to be honest.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
lol samuelsson killed that kazakh kid

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So the Kazakhs have allowed 120+ shots in two games and they still have to play Sweden and Slovakia. They're gonna average like 50 shots against a night I think.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
USA scratched Jack Hughes again and I have no idea why

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well the US lost that one, but goddamn what a comeback.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Weird to have a world juniors where the US won't play Canada at any point. If the Czechs or Slovaks can upset then they won't play Russia either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
shouldnt have let frankenstein coach the team

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
USA, baby. We're winning it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Czechs are good too even though they generally lose to the "big" teams. That group is going to be a bloodbath.