Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I know somebody who works for a small foundry and is wanting to build a website for it because there isn’t a lot of local business coming in. I have no problems helping them out because they’re willing to comp me for my time while paying for everything, but I don’t even know where to start.

I know I need to get a domain name and a host, but considering that this will be for online purchases a credit card processor is necessary and I’m pretty sure I’m missing a whole lot more. Could anybody please give me some advice on where to look for help on setting this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Foam Monkey posted:

I know somebody who works for a small foundry and is wanting to build a website for it because there isn’t a lot of local business coming in. I have no problems helping them out because they’re willing to comp me for my time while paying for everything, but I don’t even know where to start.

I know I need to get a domain name and a host, but considering that this will be for online purchases a credit card processor is necessary and I’m pretty sure I’m missing a whole lot more. Could anybody please give me some advice on where to look for help on setting this up?

Make them get the domain and hosting on their card or you'll be playing tech help for years. Most places will have payment services like shopify available for you to add to your site; it's as easy as pressing a button. Pick a decent theme that's mobile friendly, pick a domain that's search friendly. Not much more than that. I would highly recommend having a static site with no blog or contact options, again, because if they ever need help it'll be you they call.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

Make them get the domain and hosting on their card or you'll be playing tech help for years. Most places will have payment services like shopify available for you to add to your site; it's as easy as pressing a button. Pick a decent theme that's mobile friendly, pick a domain that's search friendly. Not much more than that. I would highly recommend having a static site with no blog or contact options, again, because if they ever need help it'll be you they call.

I didn’t even think about shopify, so thank you for the advice. And no worries. Everything is getting paid by them and put in their name. I’m just trying to get them set up. I have no intention of getting haunted by them forgetting to charge sales tax or something.

I also warned them that they’re opening themselves up to a whole lot of potential fraud but they’re like “We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Foam Monkey posted:

Could anybody please give me some advice on where to look for help on setting this up?

You're looking for someone who builds websites for a living. Why would you agree to take this on if you don't know how to do that?

More importantly........

Foam Monkey posted:

wanting to build a website for it because there isn’t a lot of local business coming in

How does a web site fix that problem? There may be some unreasonable expectations going on.

You're better of using social media to drum up business than putting together some bland template web site that's not going to get indexed well and nobody is going to go to.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

You're looking for someone who builds websites for a living. Why would you agree to take this on if you don't know how to do that?

More importantly........

How does a web site fix that problem? There may be some unreasonable expectations going on.

You're better of using social media to drum up business than putting together some bland template web site that's not going to get indexed well and nobody is going to go to.

If they made enough to hire somebody they would. But when I say this is a small foundry, I mean it’s small. Like a 3 person operation.

As for me building a website, I can make a personal one, I was asking more about making one for a business. That is something I’ve never done.

As for social media, with the things they make they say it’s too niche for most people. Tractor seats, eagles, things like that. They want a website to toss into a magazine ad for hobbyists.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Foam Monkey posted:

They want a website to toss into a magazine ad for hobbyists.

Wow.

Perhaps they should hire someone who has some semblance of an idea how to market what they produce? Or maybe direct their production into an area where they can make money. They don't sound qualified to do this on their own, which is pretty typical of a lot of small businesses. But if you're in a niche one you better be able to figure it our or hire it out.

If you're going to do this anyway, just use Squarespace or similar. They obviously won't be capable of maintaining/updating the content on anything else.

Speaking of which, they HAVE provided you with quality photos and copy, right? Along with SKUs and prices for the e-commerce portion. Or is this another one of those deals where they think web sites are just technical things and you can figure out the rest?

In case it's not obvious enough, I think this is a bad idea and you should tell them that it's a bad idea and ask them to spend some more timing coming up with an actual business and marketing plan before they go entirely out of business. Because if they "can't afford" to pay for someone to develop what sounds like a very simple ecommerce site I don't think they'll be in business much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Wow.

Perhaps they should hire someone who has some semblance of an idea how to market what they produce? Or maybe direct their production into an area where they can make money. They don't sound qualified to do this on their own, which is pretty typical of a lot of small businesses. But if you're in a niche one you better be able to figure it our or hire it out.

If you're going to do this anyway, just use Squarespace or similar. They obviously won't be capable of maintaining/updating the content on anything else.

Speaking of which, they HAVE provided you with quality photos and copy, right? Along with SKUs and prices for the e-commerce portion. Or is this another one of those deals where they think web sites are just technical things and you can figure out the rest?

In case it's not obvious enough, I think this is a bad idea and you should tell them that it's a bad idea and ask them to spend some more timing coming up with an actual business and marketing plan before they go entirely out of business. Because if they "can't afford" to pay for someone to develop what sounds like a very simple ecommerce site I don't think they'll be in business much longer.

I’m not arguing with you on any of your points here. I’m not invested in their business thankfully, but they are friends. Why they don’t branch out, I don’t know. They have enough cute little trinkets to make a killing on Etsy, but they’re not interested.

I did direct them to Shopify and Squarespace though, as well as GoDaddy because they do offer templates and are easy enough to figure out.

Surprisingly they do have photos, prices, and SKUs, because they do sell items already here, it’s just they really want a website.