Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I just watched first reformed and it's good but I don't really understand ethan hawke's actions at the end. It's something I have to think about. I was really thirsting for capitalist pig death by c4 so I'm kinda blue balled here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I've been chipping away at The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. About two thiry of the way through and the story of the Gold Prospector is probably the only time when hearing Tom Waits call something "Mr. Pocket" isn't creepy. It's good.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I've been chipping away at The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. About two thiry of the way through and the story of the Gold Prospector is probably the only time when hearing Tom Waits call something "Mr. Pocket" isn't creepy. It's good.

like most coen productions it's a film I didn't really like immediately after watching it but it stuck in my mind. I'm probably gonna watch it again some time next week

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also I watched hell or high water a couple of days ago and it was pretty good, but some of the editing felt kind of sloppy. hard to tell in those situations whether it's the editor or the dp/director at fault

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I loved Buster Scruggs as soon as he did that table move and now I’ve seen it twice which is very unusual for me.

And my reaction to Bird Box was “is that one of those scripts written by AI?”

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

on rewatch in felt like some of them dragged a little but it's still fantastic overall. the first and last vignettes were my favorites. Tim Blake Nelson, Clancy Brown, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes Jonjo O'Neill all killed it

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I just watched Solo and it seemed like a space movie with some obscure references to Star Wars instead of a Star Wars Movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just watched Attack the Block
Was pretty decent. Good breakout role for John Boyega

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Blindspotting was fuckin great, if it had a better title I would have watched it sooner. Extremely cathartic ending

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Here's what I'll say about Vice: it's not what I'd call "good," but every American should see it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watched They Shall Not Grow Old last night. Amazing technical feat, nothing new or surprising in terms of content or message. But seeing that kind of crystal clear footage from 100 years ago is really something, especially when it's just awkward 18 year old kids staring at the camera.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tokyo story: drat those kids were fuckin assholes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Watched They Shall Not Grow Old last night. Amazing technical feat, nothing new or surprising in terms of content or message. But seeing that kind of crystal clear footage from 100 years ago is really something, especially when it's just awkward 18 year old kids staring at the camera.

Probably gonna see it with my brother next week

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Dragonball Super: Broly
Pretty much what you would expect: ten minutes of backstory followed by ten minutes of exposition then ten minutes of setup followed by an hour of punching and then the movie just ends. Probably some of the best animation in the entire franchise though.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 24, 2019

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cold war was beautiful. I've never seen a happy Polish movie and this didn't break the streak. Really liked how the narrow aspect ratio let faces completely fill the screen during all the close-ups, and this was the best use of black and white I've seen since the white ribbon. Tons of gorgeous high contrast shots.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Polar on Netflix is just John Wick in the snow.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Blade: Trinity kind of sucked rear end. HHH and Parker Posey ftw tho

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I kept waiting for Boy Erased to make me feel invested in what was happening but it just never really did. Don't get me wrong, its an important story and i'm glad it was made but it just of felt flat, especially given the emotional agony it was portraying

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Demolition Man is "problematic"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I spent the entirety of The English Patient trying to figure out what was wrong with it, and I came to different conclusions with every new scene starting after the first flashback

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i make noncommittal sounds while picking bits of popcorn out of my teeth and blinking in the harsh light of the real world until my date makes their true opinion known. i then commence judgement (of the date, not the movie)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Free State of Jones was alright, had some kind of weird pacing issues but that's mostly due to the source material. Dunno why it has a 2.5 on letterboxd

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Jamin Winans' first movie, INK: Reminded me so much of MirrorMask that I had to look up to see if it was the same people. It wasn't. But still really liked the Production Design a lot.

Jamin Winans' second movie, The Frame: Holy crap, that was unexpected. Not "out of the park" and had some plot issues but held my attention really well. I hope more people will work with this man to allow him to keep making movies.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Bad Times at the El Royale was neat. I did fall asleep twice so it may be too long.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Bad Times at the El Royale was neat. I did fall asleep twice so it may be too long.

Imo it's 1.5x too long

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ant man and the wasp was adamn pile of poo poo straight from my as. Walter goggins wasted yet again

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I saw "PJ Masks LIVE! SAVE THE DAY"
https://youtu.be/bCwEAS1YtFE

My daughter really enjoyed it. I was worried that it was going to be too loud. It wasn't great, but it was too long but every character gets featured and whatnot.

I got free tickets but if you are forced to go its not terrible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shoot em up is ridiculous and poo poo but also a lot of fun to watch. It's a shame I doubt the same could be said of the other films Amazon is now recommending

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jaws was pretty good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the graduate had some nifty cinematography but was the biggest idiot plot I've ever seen. and I saw the last Jedi.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love everything about The Graduate except Benjamin Braddock who I loving despise

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wonder woman was really corny and it had dumb politics and the part at the end where she freaks out and tears through a bunch of Germans looked like the wizard of speed and time

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Drove an hour and a half to see Capernaum tonight and it was well worth it. Just really hammered home how hosed up the refugee crisis is and how its going to be impacting generations for decades to come

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

doctor Zhivago was much better than the English patient at least.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the guy Richie King Arthur movie. I've been watching too many superhero movies because this seemed kind of good? At least the action scenes were comprehensible and the soundtrack was memorable, putting it far above 90% of Disney's output. The big elephants were cool too, wish there was more of them

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

enter the dragon...... HWAIYAHHH... ruled

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just watched Into the Spiderverse. I'm not sure what I expected, but I've never seen animation like this. Coupled with a loving awesome story, this is hands down the best Marvel movie so far.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Free Solo taught me that some people are loving crazy.

Good stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Venom was probably the best superhero film I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I seem to remember people saying bumblebee was good but it really wasn't. It was surprising to see a couple people get straight up District 9-style exploded on screen in a PG-13 film