Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just finished Rainy Dog by Takashi Miike, it was really good and delivered on being rainy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my first reaction to the green Knight is that I half loved it and half hated it. it's usually the first reaction I get for movies that eventually become my favorites so I'll have to watch it again some time soon. preferably in s theatre

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

theater is a must for green knight

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just watched Bonfire of the Vanities. I had heard about all the crazy poo poo going on behind the scenes, but never got around to actually seeing it until this morning while working. It's perhaps one of the most irritating movies I've ever seen. The performances are way beyond farcical to the point of everyone yelling at one another, which is especially grating because most of the dialogue seems dubbed in post. In fact, a lot of the sound in the party scenes (which is at least a third of the movie) is mixed like a Christopher Nolan film. Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis are both hilariously miscast, Melanie Griffith is awful, and Morgan Freeman is a judge that actually admonishes all the main characters for their poor behavior in a five minute long courtroom scene at the end.

And holy poo poo is it loving racist. And anti-Semitic.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I just watched no country for old men (2007) for the first time and really enjoyed it. The chase between Anton and Moss was captivating. However from the El Paso scenes onwards I was kinda lost. Why did we not see the climax of the chase we have just spent ninety minutes watching? How did the Mexican gangsters find Moss in Del Rio before Anton killed them?

Also, didn’t quite get Tommy Lee Jones’ characters role. Following Moss’ death, that scene with the cats and the retired cop, and with his wife, is all very much two epilogues. Not sure what they added to the film?

Otherwise, a tense and enjoyable drama. Enjoyed it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the answer to all your questions is that tlj is the real protagonist of the film

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just watched Bonfire of the Vanities.

The poor performance of this movie cost Tom Hanks the role of Mario in the Super Mario Bros movie (really).

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 29, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

britishbornandbread posted:

I just watched no country for old men (2007) for the first time and really enjoyed it. The chase between Anton and Moss was captivating. However from the El Paso scenes onwards I was kinda lost. Why did we not see the climax of the chase we have just spent ninety minutes watching? How did the Mexican gangsters find Moss in Del Rio before Anton killed them?

Also, didn’t quite get Tommy Lee Jones’ characters role. Following Moss’ death, that scene with the cats and the retired cop, and with his wife, is all very much two epilogues. Not sure what they added to the film?

Otherwise, a tense and enjoyable drama. Enjoyed it.

The mother in law accidentally sold out Moss so they knew exactly where he was.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Money Plane was excruciatingly bad but it had a lot of hilarious moments scattered throughout. Thomas Jane smokes a pipe several times throughout the film and I'm wholly confused by the decision, but it cracked me up. Andrew Lawrence skins a banana with his knife like a small animal and eats it in the least natural way I've ever seen a banana eaten. They clearly just paid Kelsey Grammer to film all his scenes in his backyard in the span of a day. I can't say as a whole the movie was worth watching but it's been a while since I saw a movie that left me completely baffled, and it made me laugh, so I have no regrets.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Annette. I admire the complete commitment to not having a single nod towards realism or verisimilitude. I don't particularly want to watch it again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ema is sick. See it in a theater if possible because the music is important

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Space_Butler posted:

Money Plane was excruciatingly bad but it had a lot of hilarious moments scattered throughout. Thomas Jane smokes a pipe several times throughout the film and I'm wholly confused by the decision, but it cracked me up. Andrew Lawrence skins a banana with his knife like a small animal and eats it in the least natural way I've ever seen a banana eaten. They clearly just paid Kelsey Grammer to film all his scenes in his backyard in the span of a day. I can't say as a whole the movie was worth watching but it's been a while since I saw a movie that left me completely baffled, and it made me laugh, so I have no regrets.

I was so disappointed that this was not a sequel to money train. I thought an older Snipes and Harrison would have been hilarious to watch.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i enjoyed city of lost children but man its gotta be up there in the pantheon of pedophile films right alongside the professional

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched all the Evangelion rebuilds in one shot. the animation and visuals were absolutely stunning. I'm not sure it adds anything for me as far as the original series is concerned

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Finally saw Chappie. Didn't expect that swerve at the end. Cool movie overall and the soundtrack, while very mid-2010s, was good

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished watching Knives Out and goddamn, what an incredible movie

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boogie nights. uh idk it was good I think. not really sure what I watched tbqh

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Paprika. Whips rear end. Incredible animation

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Prisoners of the ghostland. Huh

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
card counter was really good

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Klowner posted:

card counter was really good

agreed

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having never seen a ducournau film before, titane was a pretty wild ride

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I enjoyed godzilla vs king kong

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The resort (2021) is loving awful. Don't watch

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

The resort (2021) is loving awful. Don't watch

thanks i wont

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:cheers:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Titane was cool. Thought it was going to be a cool Refn influence crime drama from the trailer but it's actually a family drama with some body horror thrown in. The lighting is definitely Refn influenced though. Gonna be thinking about this one for a while

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nice looking forward to titane myself.

Terrifier is a brutal movie, Art the clown has a cool horror villain look

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Complicated feelings about Lamb

I’m glad I saw it, and I enjoyed it until the final like 3 minutes.

But no way I’d recommend that anyone go see it. Doesn’t have the same allure as the other A24 films, even if that does make it more accessible than the rest of them.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Put dune (2021) up in my backyard on the projector. Seems good, if a bit slavish to the book. Loving the production design

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Candyman (1992) was great and the score was incredible. Gotta see the new one now even though I am informed it does not have a Philip Glass score

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I watched Gun Crazy (1950) and I will never watch another movie in color

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched In the Earth, pretty cool movie and it’s good to see cyriak getting work. Another quite funny horror movie

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Richard jewel was very good if you ignore almost everything to do with Olivia Wilde.

Tenet is an interesting film. Christopher Nolan at his most christopher Nolan. Beginning to think this guy has trouble writing naturalistic dialogue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The deep house, cool concept but sucked

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Uncut gems was cool lol. Probably had the happiest ending possible for all characters involved

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Candyman( 2021). Liked how they ended making Candyman a hero who kills Chicago cops didn't particularly care for the shadow puppets though I am impressed they were all practical. Soundtrack was a not great imitation of Philip Glass. The theme of the film was explained straight to the camera a few times, seemed like overkill but a then again lot of people don't really get subtle messages

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Black Christmas (2019). Weird seeing a pg-13 horror again, and kind of surprised it was pg-13 with the subject matter being what it is. Apparently lead actress is named Imogen Gay Poots lmfao what are they even doing over in England

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Space_Butler posted:

Any movie starring a modern wrestler who isn’t The Rock, Batista or Cena is destined to be embarrassing for everyone involved. And even a good chunk of the time with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Never been as up and down on a movie as The French Dispatch. Some really funny and incredibly charming moments and some completely tedious cringe that approached hollow self parody. Ultimately all overwhelmed in a huge wave of style and stacked casting.