Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the nba draft is a wild fuckin ride especially now that rookies are very occasionally Good as opposed to before where they were almost always Bad

names to know:

zion williamson (f, duke, fr.)
6’7, 285 lbs.
-dunks a lot
-thicc but also fast
-didn’t shoot threes in high school but guess what new year new me; i mean sure they don’t fuckin go in but he’s trying
-unstoppable in transition and inside
-makes smart plays all the time
-he was born in 2000 and gently caress that makes me feel fuckin old like what the gently caress man
-questions about how he’ll fit in at the next level and if he’ll be able to defend nba caliber athletes; weight may also present issues long term
best case scenario: he’s larry johnson 3.0 mixed with young amar’e stoudemire and learns how to shoot threes and becomes the franchise cornerstone he was born to be
worst case scenario: idk that doesn’t happen and he ends up being a rich man’s anthony
projection: top 3

r.j. barrett (g/f, duke, fr.)
6’6, 210 lbs.
-shooty boi (probably a lil too much but he’ll bury you if he gets hot)
-good pnr handler
-“athletic” and “rangy” and “fits in comfortably as a traditional 2 or small ball 3”
-is a threat to score anywhere on the court
-efficient in isolation
-good at passin and whatnot
-tends to force the issue; he gets tunnel vision on some of his drives and has shot duke out of some games
best case scenario: versatile 2 that can create for others, work off the dribble, generate offense off the ball, and physically match up with nba guards
worst case scenario: we find out that canadian all world guard prospects are cursed and barrett goes the way of poutino mobley

cam reddish (f/g, duke, fr.)
6’8, 210 lbs.
-one o them there 3/D wings except he’s still working on his 3 and his D so really more of a slash/d guy at this stage
-phenomenal upside with outstanding wingspan and athleticism
-excelled at drawing fouls in international competition
-slumpin real bad right now; seems to have trouble asserting himsef alongside zion and barrett so there are legitimate questions about whether or not he’ll be able to succeed in an offense if plays aren’t specifically being tailored to him
-settles for threes a lot; does not display a ton of aggressiveness in attacking the basket
-shot is rapidly improving
-unselfish
best case scenario: jimmy butler with better shooting
worst case scenario: he never really figures anything out and never manages to develop an identity on offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

what draftees are canadian other than lindell wigginton and rj barrett?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ty for making the Duke analysis thread

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
For the seventh year in recent memory, there is no major pg prospect for the top ten of the lottery. It's going to mid major Murray State's Ja Morant.
Very athletic, good finish, needs to improve his shooting form

Probably will be better than the balance of the domestic import bigs picked ahead of him

This is a really bad draft so I'm looking for the 18th overall guy to turn into the best player

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

For the seventh year in recent memory, there is no major pg prospect for the top ten of the lottery. It's going to mid major Murray State's Ja Morant.

Probably will be better than the balance of the domestic import bigs picked ahead of him

This is a really bad draft so I'm looking for the 18th overall guy to turn into the best player

TRAE WAS LAST YEAR

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dejan Bimble posted:

What counts as major PG then. Two years ago was Fultz, Ball, Fox, etc

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

i will have a thorough analysis of all of the northwestern nba prospects up in this thread soon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

TRAE WAS LAST YEAR

Recent memory, not in a row

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What counts as major PG then. Two years ago was Fultz, Ball, Fox, etc

Man it's xmas eve I don't need a fact check I was just commenting on the recurring motif of mid major guards displacing their high major peers in the lottery

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Katana_Warrior posted:

what draftees are canadian other than lindell wigginton and rj barrett?

LUGUENTZ DORT maybe

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

i’m just as upset as everyone that the three best players in the draft all play together for coach k

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

darius garland probably would have worked his way up if he kept up his level of play just based on being a point guard who can hit threes off the dribble

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

any team between 4 and 15 should think really hard about drafting Rui Hachimura to get those sweet japanese jersey sales

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m just as upset as everyone that the three best players in the draft all play together for coach k

Little shoulda just bit the bullet and sixth man for them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Zion is the only good player in the draft everyone else sucks butt

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

darius garland probably would have worked his way up if he kept up his level of play just based on being a point guard who can hit threes off the dribble

Yeah that injury is a shame. Maybe he'll land in the perfect place because of it, he can replace Dejountay Murray.

Katana_Warrior posted:

any team between 4 and 15 should think really hard about drafting Rui Hachimura to get those sweet japanese jersey sales

Is he even good. I've been watching this handsome young man ball for 2.5 years and I've never seen much that tickled my basketball scouting analyst's pickle. I'm making this sexual to entice christmas readers who are horny from being away from their favorite strippers and so on who've taken the holidays off.

Things I've seen Rui "Louis" do:
Be big and move well
swing through 3 guys with the ball and make a layup, Giannis style
A sooooooffft post game, in a bad way, he cant push the white boys gonzaga plays against anywhere, but with an okay hook that probably doesn't go in in the NBA, but if it does and he leverages it with his short jumper that he's scared to shoot- game, that ought to help him succeed early
Dribble coast to coast with moves put on defenders
Get ignored while on defense
Not make good decisions while dribbling coast to coast
Get pulled for not being Gonzaggy enough

I'm not sure about his defense or rebounding but I guess the pitch is a Giannis esque or Marvin Bagley esque guy depending on how charitable you want to be about his defense and lack of IT factor and GO baby factor.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’m big on rui; i feel like he’ll end up going pretty high, maybe even top 5

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm really bummed Jontay Porter got hurt, he'd have been in my top 5 easily.

I wish Reddish had signed anywhere else. I think he can be really good but being the third wheel plays into all his worst instincts

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Rui is interesting, definitely the most complete player I've had eyes on this year (although I haven't seen very many). He'd probably be the #2 pick easy if he was three inches taller. All the same at least at this point I think he's going to go fairly high, although I worry about him because he's projected in the Orlando Magic Danger Zone and they'll draft him and stick him at traditional SF and it'll be a disaster.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is he even good.

If the league gets even smaller, maybe he could be a super small backup center? I love him though. Also he's only been playing basketball for like 5 years and still has a ways to go with English, so he'll have a longer improvement curve than normal.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

i’m big on rui; i feel like he’ll end up going pretty high, maybe even top 5
The way he moves with the ball, for his size, makes the game unfair for college defenders. I hope he develops a jumper, learns defense and makes the best of himself.

MourningView posted:

I'm really bummed Jontay Porter got hurt, he'd have been in my top 5 easily.

I wish Reddish had signed anywhere else. I think he can be really good but being the third wheel plays into all his worst instincts
The porter family have weak connective tissue or bad biomechanical issues. But a stretch 5 is the thing to have, so he should still get that nice guaranteed lottery money.

What is with Nazreon Reed, why are there so many top prospects who can post up all of the sudden?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is it just me or is this draft devoid of talent? Zion's a pipe dream and I really want R.J. Barrett but outside of that it just feels so meh. Like there's all these dudes out there who are missing big parts of their game, like Langford lacking an outside shot or Bol Bol being too frail and unconditioned to defend against NBA offenses.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

Is it just me or is this draft devoid of talent? Zion's a pipe dream and I really want R.J. Barrett but outside of that it just feels so meh. Like there's all these dudes out there who are missing big parts of their game, like Langford lacking an outside shot or Bol Bol being too frail and unconditioned to defend against NBA offenses.

Yeah, it's pretty weak right now but there'll be a few guys who move up the board and do enough to make us basketball junkies salivate. There have definitely been drafts that looked weak and ended up solid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The way he moves with the ball, for his size, makes the game unfair for college defenders. I hope he develops a jumper, learns defense and makes the best of himself.

The porter family have weak connective tissue or bad biomechanical issues. But a stretch 5 is the thing to have, so he should still get that nice guaranteed lottery money.

What is with Nazreon Reed, why are there so many top prospects who can post up all of the sudden?

I definitely wonder when seeing Rui, what his role in the NBA is, because it's not so clear, and Gonzaga's schedule certainly doesn't help, but he's done good against the two or three teams with decent college size so I think there might be some role there for him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

reddish could be something special but like mv said he’s not cut out to be third banana; whatshisface from murray state, naz reed, and bruno fernando could also be stars and i’ve already mentioned rui

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bruno Fernado is gonna suck and I don't really see what Reid brings to the NBA. I like Morant and DeAndre Hunter for UVA, but they aren't guys who should be in a top 5 conversation most years.

People have been calling this a bad draft for a couple years now. Zion is exceeding expectations but otherwise it's living down to the hype

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 25, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Doltos posted:

Kings are light years ahead not having a pick in this draft!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Bol Bol is gonna be a superstar and I won't hear otherwise :mad:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Bol Bol is gonna be a superstar and I won't hear otherwise :mad:

He's a non fraudulent Thon Maker. It seems like "Babblin" Brook Lopez is succeeding as a stretch 5 because he still has the bulk to do things that your nominal center should on defense. That's going to Bol's trouble. He's basically a perimeter player. I'm excited to see what he does as the season goes on. Oregon games are even on local tv in this stupid rear end state, called Oregon.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i love bol bol as a freakish unicorn and because his dad was a good person but he’s got like zero lateral quickness and is a fuckin rail

he can’t cover the screener or the roll man in a pick and roll and can’t defend in the post either; he might work okay as a weakside shot blocker in a switching scheme where he can park on a no-offense player

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I could see rolling the dice on Bol with a high pick because he's such an impossible seeming combo of size and offensive skill but I'm still really skeptical. He's got huge flaws, especially on the defensive end. Aside from blocking shots he looks like he's going to be one of the worst defensive bigs in the league. He gets easily shoved around and isn't even quick enough to keep up with slow college bigs, much less increasingly athletic NBA bigs or guards if he gets caught in a switch. He's also had conditioning and effort questions since high school that I don't think he's really done much to disprove

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 26, 2018

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's a non fraudulent Thon Maker. It seems like "Babblin" Brook Lopez is succeeding as a stretch 5 because he still has the bulk to do things that your nominal center should on defense. That's going to Bol's trouble. He's basically a perimeter player. I'm excited to see what he does as the season goes on. Oregon games are even on local tv in this stupid rear end state, called Oregon.

Unfortunately he has a leg injury, details have not been revealed yet but I wouldn't get too excited about watching him again this season.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
All y’all talking about Rui Hachimura getting that Japanese market: Grizzlies already got that locked up with Yuta Watanabe aka Watanabe no Basuke

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

okay let's keep it going

temetrius "ja" morant (pg, murray state, so.)
6'3, 175 lbs.
-gets buckets
-provides most (s/o to future valuable role player tevin brown who's taking a shitload of threes) of murray state's offense at a pretty efficient clip
-does that "shoot off the dribble bullshit" that today's basketball watching teens crave
-explosive athlete but honestly who needs a fast pg anymore
-sometimes hits threes but not very good at it; definitely not steph curry out there
-looked good against auburn who is a pretty good team
-most of his stats have come against pretty lovely teams and he's not much of a threat without the ball in his hands; he'll be really hard to evaluate against top competition until the tournament starts

best case scenario: he learns to hit a jumper and is allowed free reign on whatever team (probably the cavs) drafts him; he develops into a dwyane wade-type do it all player and everyone's happy forever
worst case scenario: idk he's collin sexton ii: the squeakquel or whatever
projection: top 5 (some of you might disagree with that but he's gonna keep climbing, suck it haters)

kevin porter jr. (g, usc, fr.)
6'6, 218 lbs.
-what kind of loving dumbass commits to play usc basketball? seriously
-incredibly versatile especially for a college freshman; can do it a bit of it all
-gets to the basket
-prototypical size and athleticism for a modern shooting guard
-has shown flashes of a jumper
-can't even start for usc lmao
-hasn't actually played all that many games since his draft stock started rising; not necessarily his fault but worth wondering if he's a product of hype

best case scenario: cool rear end jamal crawford type gunner who can fit seamlessly into multiple offensive sets
worst case scenario: lackluster guard who never manages to crack a starting rotation; never puts together talent into tangible results
projection: top 5

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't call Jamal Crawford a "seemless fit" guy. He was moved to a sixth man role precisely because he does better when you don't have to worry at fit. I think you're saying Porter is a guy with a bunch of tools though, right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I think I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't call Jamal Crawford a "seemless fit" guy. He was moved to a sixth man role precisely because he does better when you don't have to worry at fit. I think you're saying Porter is a guy with a bunch of tools though, right?

pretty much yeah; the crawford comparison is mostly because he has a lot of tools at his disposal, not his specific playstyle

it is also worth mentioning that porter is also definitely not a (traditional) point guard but could lead a second unit but has the size and athleticism to play at the 2

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does romeo langford remind anyone else of a young malcom brogdon, what a lottery. He is nearly denzel valentine athletic but he does well wuth what he has

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does romeo langford remind anyone else of a young malcom brogdon, what a lottery. He is nearly denzel valentine athletic but he does well wuth what he has

I’ve watched a fair number of IU games and Langford seems to be a great finisher, with a bit more athleticism than Brogdon or Valentine. Not sure if he can pass at an elite level, but seems to have some of the ~physical tools~ that teams want to see. Can probably add him to the list of Top 10 picks from IU who never live up to their potential.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sounds like Bol is out for the season? Not super comforting to know he couldn't make it through his first college season. NBA conditioning and whatnot will help but he's going to be a risky pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rui is the next Pascal Siakim and I am the conductor on the Hachimura hype train