Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

man where do you get these takes? There is no way, the gap between Zion and everyone else is massive.

he’s trending upwards; si has him going second in their latest mock and if he has a good showing in the ncaa tournament it’s not impossible to imagine that a prototypical point guard with explosive athleticism goes above the 6’8 guy without a defined nba position and potential conditioning issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He can be trending up from where he was and still not have any realistic shot at going first. Those aren't inconsistent ideas when the gap between the top prospect and everyone else is as big as it is this year. Don't be the guy who was like "actually I think Carmelo might go first!" in 2003.

It's not like Ja is without some pretty glaring flaws either. He can't really shoot and he's extremely turnover prone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess in the sense that even in drafts where there is a concensus #1 someone says "yeah but what about ______" rhetorically for the draft expert to say "no I think they're locked in on Zion," Morant will be involved in the conversation.

Although of course the tournament might change things.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean anyone who follows the draft for NBA or NFL knows that the #1 changes constantly, especially before everything's said and done. Remember when Marvin Bagley was the undisputed #1, and then remember when you were making GBS threads all over him in the draft thread last year, and remember now when he's looking like a really promising player?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bagley was #1 in the recruiting class, but people were talking about Ayton as a strong contender for 1 basically from The Summer International Player Exploitation Tours, and by February the debate was Luka or Ayton with Bagley out of it.

Zion is still considered the #1 by nearly everyone right now.

As for if that should be the case, I'm not ready to say that yet (I'm just getting started today).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It should be the case

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I also think Zion's the #1 and I know way less about the NBA draft than the NFL draft, I'm just saying Declan's take isn't that ridiculous.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any exceptional shooters in this draft? It seems like it's very much a shooters's league now, and the Raps need a shooter, also....

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 5, 2019

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

He can be trending up from where he was and still not have any realistic shot at going first. Those aren't inconsistent ideas when the gap between the top prospect and everyone else is as big as it is this year. Don't be the guy who was like "actually I think Carmelo might go first!" in 2003.

It's not like Ja is without some pretty glaring flaws either. He can't really shoot and he's extremely turnover prone.

i’m not being contrarian for contrarian’s sake, i promise

i think “zion is #1 for sure no questions” underestimates the nba orthodoxy a bit; zion should probably be running the offense on whatever team he’s on and i don’t know that every team is ready to embrace positionless basketball

also he’s gonna measure like 6’5 without shoes and there’s no way that doesn’t cause some pause

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

I mean anyone who follows the draft for NBA or NFL knows that the #1 changes constantly, especially before everything's said and done. Remember when Marvin Bagley was the undisputed #1, and then remember when you were making GBS threads all over him in the draft thread last year, and remember now when he's looking like a really promising player?

He was never anything close to a consensus number 1 and wasn't even really in the discussion by this point of the season.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there any exceptional shooters in this draft? It seems like it's very much a shooters's league now, and the Raps need a shooter, also....

dude from vandy who got hurt is probably The Best

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

At the top De'Andre Hunter is pretty much a protyptical switchy 3 and D type and yeah Garland is a really good shooter with a very developed pull up game for his age.

If you look later in the draft Colby White and Ty Jerome are good shooters who I think will go late firstish if they come out? The Raps don't have a first right now so hard to say what they'd do.

Shamorie Ponds shot well as a freshman and then again this year but was awful as a sophomore so I dunno what to do with that. He shot pretty well from the FT line the whole way so he's probably fine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

At the top De'Andre Hunter is pretty much a protyptical switchy 3 and D type and yeah Garland is a really good shooter with a very developed pull up game for his age.

If you look later in the draft Colby White and Ty Jerome are good shooters who I think will go late firstish if they come out? The Raps don't have a first right now so hard to say what they'd do.

I actually keep forgetting the Raps traded their 1st.

That said, it wouldn't wholly surprise me if Ujiri's warlock rear end found value picking 58th overall.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

He was never anything close to a consensus number 1 and wasn't even really in the discussion by this point of the season.

Bagley's just one example. Judging players isn't a set in stone science and the more you try to act like it is the more people will try to pick apart your past posts. Trust me, I know.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is not like my personal opinion, everyone who projects the draft and talks to actual NBA front office people says he's the top prospect and that there's a huge gap. Barring an injury there's going to be too much ground for anyone to make up at this point in the season.

It's not even a case where Zion is some transcendent prospect without flaws (although I think he's pretty likely to be a star in the NBA). I'm not sure he'd have gone first last year. It's just that the rest of the draft sucks. He wasn't close to locked in as the top guy before the season started, but pretty much everyone else from his class has underachieved while he's had a historically great season. That let someone like Morant jump up to contend for the second spot, but I haven't seen a single thing to suggest that anyone has him over Zion.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jadeveon Clowney was the undisputed #1 with a massive gap. When Mayock suggested Mack might be the better option he was laughed at.

Pundits are pundits, not seers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

This is not like my personal opinion, everyone who projects the draft and talks to actual NBA front office people says he's the top prospect and that there's a huge gap. Barring an injury there's going to be too much ground for anyone to make up at this point in the season.

It's not even just that Zion is some transcendent prospect without flaws (although I think he's pretty likely to be a star in the NBA), it's also that the rest of the draft sucks. He wasn't close to locked in as the top guy before the season started, but pretty much everyone else from his class has underachieved while he's had a historically great season.

Its also that Zion has a very entertaining play style that will help sell jersey and put butts in seats. I think he is coming into the NBA at the right time, and should be able to get away with playing PF despite being 6'6", especially until he can start to develop his jumper (which will probably take 5 or 6 years)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah rj was who everyone thought was going to be the best and Zion has outplayed him by a lot insert someone posting total stats ignoring rj putting up way more volume and Zion playing way smarter

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

Jadeveon Clowney was the undisputed #1 with a massive gap. When Mayock suggested Mack might be the better option he was laughed at.

Pundits are pundits, not seers.

Your example of mock drafts being wrong about a guy going first is...a guy who went first?

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also that Zion has a very entertaining play style that will help sell jersey and put butts in seats. I think he is coming into the NBA at the right time, and should be able to get away with playing PF despite being 6'6", especially until he can start to develop his jumper (which will probably take 5 or 6 years)

Yeah him being a really unique and fun to watch player that teams can market helps a lot. You can sell a ton of Zion jerseys

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is this one of those drafts where the top 10 doesn't have many stars but it's relatively deep with role players, or does everybody just suck

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Whoever drafts Zion should really try to sign Brook Lopez, it'll help pad Zion's rebounding totals and help spread the court for him

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Whoever drafts Zion should really try to sign Brook Lopez, it'll help pad Zion's rebounding totals and help spread the court for him

I agree, the Lakers should bring back Brook Lopez.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

Your example of mock drafts being wrong about a guy going first is...a guy who went first?

What? Where did you get that from? Declan said Ja was trending up and he wouldn't be surprised if he was in the discussion. That's what we're talking about, and that calling it a bad take isn't fair because anything can still happen between now and the draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Is this one of those drafts where the top 10 doesn't have many stars but it's relatively deep with role players, or does everybody just suck

I think its hard to predict whether or not there are good role players. This is definitely the type of draft where there isn't a big tier-2 of "Could be star, will probably be really good" that usually helps round out the top 5 or so. I suspect by the time you get into the mid-lottery it'll look a lot like other drafts. It's a rough draft to be picking 2-8.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Draft 'gurus' always have to make someone rise up and challenge the undisputed no. 1 pick simply because they need something to write about that gets clicks otherwise they don't have a job. See: Simmons v Ingram, Fultz v Josh Jackson/Ball, Wiggins v Jabari etc. What matters is what teams think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man I love Dedric Lawson. So much skill and smart basketball, him just outsmarting college players constantly is beautiful. It's a shame that he seems to think jumping is outlawed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Man I love Dedric Lawson. So much skill and smart basketball, him just outsmarting college players constantly is beautiful. It's a shame that he seems to think jumping is outlawed.

Yeah he and Ethan Happ are both awesome college players with absolutely zero shot at playing in the NBA.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Yeah he and Ethan Happ are both awesome college players with absolutely zero shot at playing in the NBA.

let me tell you about the beautiful 5’10 animal joey rodriguez who routinely passed out of circus shots and hit daggers despite being about knee high

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/tankathon/status/1094396652234964992?s=19

lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

he real fast

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Better angle
https://twitter.com/carIisIe/status/1094398807511629824?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This is good but does not capture that he was on the other side of the loving lane when the UVA guy caught the ball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

This is good but does not capture that he was on the other side of the loving lane when the UVA guy caught the ball.

The first one gets the distance, this gets the vert. The man is not of this planet.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first one gets the distance, this gets the vert. The man is not of this planet.

He’s hysterically far beyond the twerps he’s playing with

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DeimosRising posted:

... is what we'll be saying when the Knicks draft him next year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

You're not wrong but the dude whose shot he blocked is going to be a lottery pick

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 10, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zion is comically far above everyone else in the draft. The only thing that can hold him back is controlling his weight (work ethic) and injury. No one has ever reminded me of Shaq more than him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bulls better loving get jah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Frozen envelope friend for LeBron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RCarr posted:

Zion is comically far above everyone else in the draft. The only thing that can hold him back is controlling his weight (work ethic) and injury. No one has ever reminded me of Shaq more than him.

he’s 6’7 and they play nothing alike other than being heavy