Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Me watching Duke to just watch a basketball game without thinking about how these dudes fit in the NBA: wow this team is so talented they are going to win the NCAA easy this year.
Me watching Duke to scout these dudes: Actually only Zion is actually good.

(very early in the process take though)

I see a lot of flaws with Zion but I have a hard time seeing anyone else come close to the total package, I don't think there's been anyone like this since I started doing this, so it almost feels sort of silly to chop at him for things. The biggest thing is he really needs to stop diving for the ball, really needs to stop jumping 40 feet to block a shot then landing on his stomach. He's gonna get h urt if he keeps this up and that should not happen.

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No that is the correct take.

And yeah the playing way too recklessly thing is another way Zion is like Young Blake.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

zion has a protective layer of karate fat

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Ringer put out their lottery board today

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2/20/18232463/2019-nba-draft-big-board-february

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like Culver in the mid-lottery but 2????????

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I guess his stock really depends on if he's actually grown past his listed height? that seems like a stretch though, but I guess stranger things have happened

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'd believe that he's in the 6'7" or 6'8" range but they seem to just be taking it as fact that he's going to wind up at 6'10" or 6'11" for some reason.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They admit a few paragraphs later that Barrett will probably end up No. 2 so it kind of mostly feels like DRIVING THE CONVERSATION

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

culver’s probably top 5 but not top 2

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Zion is a superstar. He has Obama coming to see him in person.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
OH M Y GOD NO I JINXED HIM

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hopefully he’s okay, it didn’t look like a horrible landing, maybe just a sprain

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lol zion is loving dead

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol zion is loving dead

k says the injury is a mild sprain for whatever that’s worth

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

k says the injury is a mild sprain for whatever that’s worth

Nothing but we can hope

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

real interested to see how cam reddish and rj barrett end up doing with zion out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you have an athletic subscription Vecine is doing a big series where he asks college assistants to give him their anonymous thoughts on potential first rounders. I am normally not a huge fan of the "anonymous scout with unknown agenda shits on player" genre but he at least seems to get a wide variety of opinions and there's been some good stuff. This Nassir Little bit was so over the top (and, honestly, not entirely unfair) that I couldn't help but laugh:

quote:

“Hate him (as a player). Absolutely hate him. I think he’s a terrible player. I don’t care that he made a couple of 3s against Virginia Tech because everyone was feeling good. I hate him. I think he’s a bad player. I watched him play like crazy. I did see the McDonald’s and Jordan games. That’s great, he played harder than people in those settings, and people fell in love with that. The practice settings, he was competitive. But I see a guy who has no idea what he’s doing.

“Carolina has been running the same secondary break actions for the last 45 years. And he’s the only guy on the team who has no idea what he’s doing. You’re 20 games into the season. All you have to do is reverse the ball, then someone comes and sets a back screen for you. It’s really simple stuff. And he has no idea what he’s doing. He catches it, and he’s a total fish out of water. He dribbles around like there are five seconds left on the shot clock when there are 29 seconds left. He runs into six people, runs you over.

“I don’t think he’s as freaky quick as everyone thinks. He does have great athleticism, though. He needs to lean out. Even some of the moves where he’s ripped it quick and gotten a dunk, they weren’t even that impressive. It was more bad defense. But there was a play in a game, and he was just kinda jogging into the lane and there was a 3 shot from the top of the key, then at the last second he realized that the dude had missed the 3 long, and it came off the back rim and he decided to jump and dunked it with two hands. It was like, ‘oh poo poo, that’s coming to me,’ and he dunked it. Most guys, when it comes to tip dunks, they kind of time their steps and come running in knowing the guy is going to miss. This guy had no idea. So he does freaky stuff like that.

“I don’t think he’s got any clue defensively, although I don’t think his feet are bad. I just think he has no idea what he’s doing. Bad shooter. Bad handler. Bad decision-maker. A lot of people told me he was curling jump shots and curling tough 2s (in high school and in AAU), but I’ve never seen him do that. I don’t even see (his status) as a shooting (issue). It’s not just the shooting. He has no idea what he’s doing. He has absolutely no idea what he’s doing out on the floor. He wouldn’t even know when to shoot. You can rep a million shots, and I’m sure somebody will, and he’ll go in the first 15 picks and they’ll bring you into a one-on-zero workout and he’ll make a bunch of 3s. But you can’t teach him feel, I don’t think. I just don’t like him at all. We went into that game, I was begging Roy to put him into the game. What does he do if the other team doesn’t make a bad play? Because, hot take, NBA players aren’t just going to throw you the ball.”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It was enough to get me to do a trial at least. The opinion on the non-Zion Duke guys being so varied was interesting. But man it's hard to find stuff there and it just wants me to read Kamentzky Brothers Lakers stories (nothing against them, they're one of the few tolerable Lakers writers) despite all the other things I've checked.

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 27, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
St. Johns doesn't have a whole lot of games on TV this year but I guess I got to find another one because man Tre Jones just absolutely wrecked Shamorie Ponds. Guess it's useful as a tool to see what may happen against one of college's closest examples of NBA size but then again not a lot of guys even in the NBA are just going to body a guy for 40 minutes like that either (I might revise my "only Zion on Duke is actually good." Tre is probably good, too. Even though PG defense isn't as valuable in the pros he could be a Pat Beverly style dude if he can hit the same base minimum of offense that Beverly does). Not usually what you see out of guys projected in the first round . . . feels like I've been saying that a lot as I go through this process this season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The problem with Jones is that he doesn't shoot it well enough to hold down the Beverly role. He can really defend but I don't think you can hang on to an NBA job for very long as a PG who doesn't contribute on offense at all.

I still like Ponds in like the 20s as a scorer off the bench type. Guys who can shoot off the dribble well are still pretty hard to find.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeow, I didn't look at the numbers. I had no idea he was shooting in the 20s from three.

I basically am just throwing that game out for Ponds, not only was he getting bodied but he was getting trapped or doubled constantly and that's just not going to happen in the pros.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rick posted:

Yeow, I didn't look at the numbers. I had no idea he was shooting in the 20s from three.

I basically am just throwing that game out for Ponds, not only was he getting bodied but he was getting trapped or doubled constantly and that's just not going to happen in the pros.

he's actually shooting 35.5% from 3 this year, i think MV was talking about his draft projection.

i've liked Ponds for a while, but what does everyone here think of Admiral Schofield?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Troy Queef posted:

he's actually shooting 35.5% from 3 this year, i think MV was talking about his draft projection.

He meant Tre Jones, who is shooting under 25%.

I like Schofield in like the 20s. He's older which always hurts but he seems like he could be a solid, switchy 3 and D type. The NBA always needs long wings who can shoot and who will try on defense. I like him more than Grant Williams; his shot has been more consistent and he has a more projectable defensive role in the NBA.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i mean if you like everything a player does then age isn’t really a dealbreaker for me personally; fretting over people’s athletic prime is a little silly

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean if you like everything a player does then age isn’t really a dealbreaker for me personally; fretting over people’s athletic prime is a little silly

Eh, there's some pretty decent evidence that it limits their ceiling at least, though obviously there are always exceptions. It's a lot easier to project that a 19 year old is going to dramatically improve his body and skillset at the next level than it is for a guy who is in his 20s and playing against guys who are mostly younger/less experienced. It's not an accident that every halfway decent player projection model features age as one of the factors and values freshman performance more than junior or senior performance.

Schofield is probably a safer bet to be a competent rotation player at the next level than someone like Langford, who so far hasn't been able to shoot at all, but he's a lot less likely to become an all star type.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1106398644746379270?s=20

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He's really good.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

I think it's interesting how sophmore wings and guards are more likely to be super-stars by a more restrictive measure, at least in the last 10 years or so.
(Kawhi, Pau George, Jim Butt, Jim Hardman, and Steph Currly)

Malcom Brogdon has become exactly the player he was projected to be in only a couple years post draft, normally you'd need to wait 4-7 for that. That's one big benefit of these senior wings with championship experience who are do it all guys who just need to sharpen one skill to belong, their prime is coming so you dont have to do as much projection, you just have to erase about 50% of what they did in college because it won't be possible in the pros, because it's such a power -based game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Go Zion, gently caress duke

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This is what the baby from the end of Shadow of the Colossus becomes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

If anyone is shopping a 1 or a 3/4 get at me!!!

Was this supposed to be in the byogm thread?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Was this supposed to be in the byogm thread?

maybe :ninja:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is what the baby from the end of Shadow of the Colossus becomes

Z[ICO]N

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Is kobe white a nba prospect? I'm loving his game

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Metapod posted:

yeah he’s a first rounder, anywhere from the third to fifth best point guard

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1106755627366391809?s=21

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Am I going insane or is this video hosed up

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Am I going insane or is this video hosed up

I mean it's kind of hosed up to dunk on someone that hard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Yeah he's a first rounder, seems like he's mostly pegged in the late teens or 20s but I like him more than that. He makes some dumb decisions but he's big, fast, and a really good pull up shooter. Big issue with him is that he might have to be a bench player because I don't think he's really a point guard and he's not long enough to guard most 2s

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Pray for me as i do not believe the Grizz will convey this year. I guess I hope for Darius Garland to be healthy