Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Am I going insane or is this video hosed up

You mean because he sort of melts into the guy trying to draw a charge in the first clip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ja Morant is for real. Quick, crafty, good vision, high basketball IQ, plays really hard, including on D (if anything he might need to chill on that end because he is so aggressive that he’s going to eat a lot of whistles in the NBA). He also keeps his cool despite taking contact without a ton of whistles. Three needs some work but he’s a good free throw shooter and at least based on my eye (wish shooting charts were easier to get for college players) he seems to be best at the corner three which seems to be the guys who have the best shot of becoming passable shooters at least.

But the player I am most excited about on Murray State is Darnell Cowart. I love super skilled, short stocky centers, true treats of college basketball.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

You mean because he sort of melts into the guy trying to draw a charge in the first clip?

I guess the forums/awful app is having a rough time with twitter vids. I was trying to watch it in the shower, I like to enhance my showers with media

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

MourningView posted:

Yeah he's a first rounder, seems like he's mostly pegged in the late teens or 20s but I like him more than that. He makes some dumb decisions but he's big, fast, and a really good pull up shooter. Big issue with him is that he might have to be a bench player because I don't think he's really a point guard and he's not long enough to guard most 2s

Sounds like tall Lou Williams

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

quote:

1. New York Knicks — Zion Williamson, Duke
2. Phoenix Suns — Ja Morant, Murray State
3. Cleveland Cavaliers — R.J. Barrett, Duke
4. Chicago Bulls — De’Andre Hunter, Virginia
5. Atlanta Hawks — Cameron Reddish, Duke.
6. Atlanta Hawks (from DAL) — Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech
7. Memphis Grizzlies — Darius Garland, Vanderbilt
8. Washington Wizards — Romeo Langford, Indiana
9. New Orleans Pelicans — Jaxson Hayes, Texas
10. Charlotte Hornets — Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga
11. Orlando Magic — Coby White, North Carolina
12. Los Angeles Lakers —Keldon Johnson, Kentucky
13. Minnesota Timberwolves — Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga
14. Boston Celtics (from SAC) — Sekou Doumbouya, Limoges
15. Miami Heat — Kevin Porter Jr., USC
16. Detroit Pistons — Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Virginia Tech
17. Brooklyn Nets —Nassir Little, North Carolina
18. Boston Celtics (from LAC) — KZ Okpala, Stanford
19. Utah Jazz — PJ Washington, Kentucky
20. San Antonio Spurs — Jontay Porter, Missouri
21. Boston Celtics — Tyler Herro, Kentucky
22. Portland Trail Blazers — Bruno Fernando, Maryland
23. Cleveland Cavaliers (from HOU) — Eric Paschall, Villanova
24. Oklahoma City Thunder — Tre Jones, Duke
25. Indiana Pacers — Grant Williams, Tennessee
26. Philadelphia 76ers — Matisse Thybulle, Washington
27. Brooklyn Nets (from DEN) — Daniel Gafford, Arkansas
28. Golden State Warriors —Luguentz Dort, Arizona State
29. San Antonio Spurs (from TOR) — Talen Horton-Tucker, Iowa State
30. Milwaukee Bucks —Bol Bol, Oregon

Here's the Athletic's most recent mock draft. I like Vecenie so I deleted his explanations for each pick and the second round so I'm not totally ripping him off.

I will be thrilled if PJ Washington and Jontay Porter are both still on the board when Utah picks. Also totally support exiling RJ to the Cavs with Sexton where I never have to watch either of them play.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2019

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I know nothing about him but "Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga" feels like randomly-generated filler

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
All-in on "Sekou Doumbouya" based on name tools alone

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Also I realize the Hornets have earned every ounce of poo poo but I get real tired of draftniks doing the "they just want guys from major programs" when 12 of the 14 lottery picks are guys from major programs

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'd be happy with Keldon Johnson but I am not 100% sold on his shooting because the form changes from shot to shot. I guess it doesn't matter if he's hitting them. I dunno he feels very generic to me. I guess part of my problem with Tatum was how generic he was in college so maybe I shouldn't hold that against people but . . .

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I'd be happy with Keldon Johnson but I am not 100% sold on his shooting because the form changes from shot to shot. I guess it doesn't matter if he's hitting them. I dunno he feels very generic to me. I guess part of my problem with Tatum was how generic he was in college so maybe I shouldn't hold that against people but . . .

Yeah I'm not sure I buy his shot either. He wasn't regarded as a good shooter coming out of high school if I recall correctly and it does look off a lot of the time. I wouldn't take him over Clarke, even acknowledging that Clarke probably also shouldn't be trusted as a shooter and might have fit issues.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Time to start paying attention to the non-RJ Canadian content.

Anyone that follows NCAA ball regularly have a different take than Vecenie on Clarke, NAW and Dort?

Also any chance for Andrew Nembard to come out and do something if Florida makes a run? Or for Vandy name tool superstar Simi Shittu to come out based on pre-injury hype?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I didn't watch Dort much. I like NAW and Clarke more than where they're projected (and I think he actually does too on his big board) but think that's probably a fair guess for when they'll actually go. I love Clarke, I think he was the second best player in the country this year after Zion, and he is stupid athletic. Maybe he won't be able to shoot well enough to be a star but I feel like he's the perfect modern 4 defensively.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bol Bol would be extremely on brand for the Bucks.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bol Bol would be extremely on brand for the Bucks.

John Hammond's in Orlando now so it'll be fun to see if he makes a massive reach

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

*Doumbouya yelled real loud and extended like ginobiliiiiiii*

He’s a hall of famer, I’m convinced

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hahah, the actual Athletic breakdown of the Lakers pick (to paraphrase) being "yeah the Lakers have proven an ability to select good big men in the draft, but the two people at the top got rid of them so maybe they'd be better off drafting wings they might keep" is classic. This and Dave Meltzer making fun of Magic Johnson's coaching has been stuff I needed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

John Hammond's in Orlando now so it'll be fun to see if he makes a massive reach

There's definitely no way he's drafting Coby White and his TRex arms

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The idea of Reddish going in the top 5 is insane to me. It's a real indictment of this draft class that people still feel compelled to handwave away the fact he has been absolute garbage on offense for a full season

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

xbilkis posted:

The idea of Reddish going in the top 5 is insane to me. It's a real indictment of this draft class that people still feel compelled to handwave away the fact he has been absolute garbage on offense for a full season

I’m dreading him dropping to Memphis cause i know there’s just no way Chris Wallace could say no

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
With Reddish teams have been scouting him for a lot longer than just this season, so he still has some shine from his prep career when he was like a consensus top 3 prospect. I definitely like him a lot less now than I did earlier, but he's not in a very good situation being stuck with two fairly high usage guys and spending so much time just standing in a corner on a team with absolutely horrendous spacing. His inability to finish at the rim this season is really concerning though.

That's a tough spot in the draft too, it's hard to say for sure who else they should take that high. I think Garland would be the best guy on the board but he's pretty useless on a team that has Trae. A switchy stretch four type, which is Reddish's best case scenario probably, makes a lot of sense in theory for them.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 18, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

With Reddish teams have been scouting him for a lot longer than just this season, so he still has some shine from his prep career when he was like a consensus top 3 prospect. I definitely like him a lot less now than I did earlier, but he's not in a very good situation being stuck with two fairly high usage guys and spending so much time just standing in a corner on a team with absolutely horrendous spacing. His inability to finish at the rim this season is really concerning though.

That's a tough spot in the draft too, it's hard to say for sure who else they should take that high. I think Garland would be the best guy on the board but he's pretty useless on a team that has Trae. A switchy stretch four type, which is Reddish's best case scenario probably, makes a lot of sense in theory for them.

And if you have been scouting him for a long time, it'd be really easy to say "hey his numbers don't really change that much while Zion was out." Which I think to many people was more of a negative and might be why draft bloggers all went so negative on Cam lately, but you could also say it's an argument for him not just being a product of playing with Zion.

I don't . . . necessarily think all the blog criticism is wrong, but I agree this is not a great situation for him. And yeah, the NBA always puts its scouting ahead of what happens in college, for better or worse.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cool Buff Man posted:

nah sounds too close to sucku dumbboya he’s cursed

xbilkis posted:

he’s gonna look really good in drills and was the fourth option on a loaded duke team; he’ll need to work on getting into rhythm without being the #1 option but even if he doesn’t he could be a promising lockdown defender/bench gunner

that all being said the hawks should probably not take him; i like culver for them and if de’andre hunter somehow falls to them that’d be a huge coup

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
"Keldon Johnson" is the sort of name an alien would choose for himself

Rick posted:

Ja Morant is for real. Quick, crafty, good vision, high basketball IQ, plays really hard, including on D (if anything he might need to chill on that end because he is so aggressive that he’s going to eat a lot of whistles in the NBA). He also keeps his cool despite taking contact without a ton of whistles. Three needs some work but he’s a good free throw shooter and at least based on my eye (wish shooting charts were easier to get for college players) he seems to be best at the corner three which seems to be the guys who have the best shot of becoming passable shooters at least.

But the player I am most excited about on Murray State is Darnell Cowart. I love super skilled, short stocky centers, true treats of college basketball.

He really looks like a top class baller, his biggest weakness is that he's very thing, which means he'll probably get smashed like a bug on NBA screens and might have trouble finishing.

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's been hurt for a lot of the year and a lot of his shine has worn down. he's still the most toolsy euro

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

"Keldon Johnson" is the sort of name an alien would choose for himself

He really looks like a top class baller, his biggest weakness is that he's very thing, which means he'll probably get smashed like a bug on NBA screens and might have trouble finishing.

Keldon Johnson is definitely a create-a-character name, I came pretty close to that in an old NBA live.

I saw him in a game where they smashed the hell at him and it definitely wore him down by the end of the game so you might be on to something. And it takes a few years for refs to give skinny guys calls.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
In regards to reddish, coach k sucks rear end at utilizing multiple talents so maybe theres hope

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can tell K kinda has no idea what to actually do with Zion but he's so much more talented than everyone he plays it doesn't matter.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I’ve never really bought into the “Reddish is being hurt by his situation” argument. I can kind of see the idea that it’s not let him grow as much as he could potentially if he were the main option on another team, but uhh if he’s shooting 35% from the field and 33% on threes as the third option with defenses keyed in on the top two players in the class...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The bigger issue for him is that Duke has no spacing at all. He's the only guy on the team getting serious minutes that teams have to worry about even a little bit as an outside shooter. He'd probably be better off primarily playing the 4 instead of the 3 too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who's the best 3pt shooter in this draft?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who's the best 3pt shooter in this draft?

probably markus howard, but he's IT height

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Off ball probably Alexander-Walker or Cam Johnson? I feel like I'm forgetting someone maybe but that's my first instinct. Off the dribble either Garland, Coby White, or yeah Markus Howard.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 20, 2019

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Hahah, the actual Athletic breakdown of the Lakers pick (to paraphrase) being "yeah the Lakers have proven an ability to select good big men in the draft, but the two people at the top got rid of them so maybe they'd be better off drafting wings they might keep" is classic. This and Dave Meltzer making fun of Magic Johnson's coaching has been stuff I needed.

Lmao what

This is amazing, please share.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Lmao what

This is amazing, please share.

On the March 17th episode they were talking about a wrestler (Kurt Angle I believe) getting frustrated with being uanble to coach people because he was so good, and I believe Garrett said something about it was like Magic Johnson, and then Meltzer agreed called Magic a terrible coach.

It was brief but nice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think even Magic thought Magic was a lovely coach, he quit about as fast as he possibly could have. In his defense I imagine it was extra frustrating because he still wanted to play and would have been the best player on the team if he had been able to.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

I’ve never really bought into the “Reddish is being hurt by his situation” argument. I can kind of see the idea that it’s not let him grow as much as he could potentially if he were the main option on another team, but uhh if he’s shooting 35% from the field and 33% on threes as the third option with defenses keyed in on the top two players in the class...

I understand your concern, because Cam'ron Radish is not the world's most thrilling prospect. But it's not at all uncommon for somewhat underperforming blue chip third options to at least be fine at the pro level. I 'm not his biggest booster and I haven't really watched games for him, just duke in general, so i'll have more to report when my life becomes less chaotic

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Spin me the story of Coby White

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Good: Super quick, excellent handle, quick release, great pull up shooter, tall for a nominal PG

Bad: Iffy defense, probably not long enough to guard multiple backcourt positions, not the most explosive leaper in the world, doesn't seem to have great court vision or always look to get teammates involved, can be prone to dumb decisions

I think he definitely can find a role in the NBA, but he probably best projects as a scorer off the bench type. If he develops as a point guard he could potentially start for some teams though

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 20, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

NickRoweFillea posted:

He’ll go down as the best Kobe to ever play in the nba, not that it’s a high bar

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

He’ll go down as the best Kobe to ever play in the nba, not that it’s a high bar

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/1609/Bilder/coby-karl-600.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ja Morant is #2 easy, right? ESPECIALLY if Phoenix gets that second overall pick.