Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Any suggestestions which 35C3 talks to watch?
literally just got home from work, will start watching and throw up a batch later tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

literally just got home from work, will start watching and throw up a batch later tonight

thank you for your service.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1078289658872819715

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1078311838167851009

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

the good news is that if you were a hacker you'd have no trouble answering those questions because the possible answers are all part of complete identities they sell!

borat voice my life

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Did he just post the keys in that last screenshot?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Acer Pilot posted:

is this a rhetorical question?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I love hardcoded creds

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

You can't forget or lose your creds if you hardcode them :smugdog:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

incredible

hope the like having a million ec2+gpu instanced mining bitcoin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Acer Pilot posted:

as he should have.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

lol at not having any sort of middleware at all and just letting the devices upload straight to s3, what could possibly go wrong

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

abigserve posted:

lol at not having any sort of middleware at all and just letting the devices upload straight to s3, what could possibly go wrong

I’m personally a fan of all the test buckets in their prod account

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Raere posted:

You can't forget or lose your creds if you hardcode them :smugdog:

woah woah woah

look whos in the big iot league

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LastInLine posted:

you know theres someone else out there for whom it said toyota chevy ford and aston martin and that guy had the same reaction as you

well duh, who in their right mind would buy a ford, chevy, or aston martin

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

dads friend steve posted:

I’m personally a fan of all the test buckets in their prod account

i'm a fan of

1) elastic beanstalk :lol:
2) no cloudtrail bucket (although it could be going to another account but lol if that's likely)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

[pre-watch disclaimer]
before i begin going from the schedule i don't expect lots of outstanding talks, or any really bad ones, so don't expect any major criticism. these are my opinions, so make your own assessments and say when a talk's poo poo that i think is good and vice versa
[/pre-watch disclaimer]

35c3 day 1 talks:

Locked up science by Claudia Frick (@FuzzyLeapfrog) (41:52)
- quick runthrough of how academic publication occurs, and advances to encouraging free access to the publications. good watch if you're unfamiliar with the issues involved, but doesn't go that in-depth. q&a is pretty straightforward

The Rocky Road to TLS 1.3 and better Internet Encryption by hanno (1:00:38)
- audio issues go away a minute in. pretty thorough history lesson on how we got to 1.3 and the vulnerabilities along the way. a familiar email's in there. good q&a

Mind the Trap: Die Netzpolitik der AfD im Bundestag by Noujoum (41:10)
- deu->eng. good intro to the german parliament, the AfD's leverage as the biggest opposition party, and their current approach to hiding in plain view. doesn't go that in-depth though and q&a is light

Going Deep Underground to Watch the Stars by Jost Migenda (47:03)
- neutrinos: the talk. good talk to watch covering the design of detectors and future plans. q&a is good as well

LibreSilicon by leviathan, hsank and Andreas Westerwick (1:00:13)
- advances on the lightning talk from last year. very techncially dense talk. they're making good progress at recreating silicon compilers, and focus a lot more on the process side this time. great talk to watch if you want a refresher on circuit board optimisation. speakers get a bit nervous but given how dense the talk is that's hardly surprising. q&a is pretty good as well

Election Cybersecurity Progress Report by J. Alex Halderman (59:39)
- expands on the 2016 talk with the same speaker, this time they consider looking past the prior academic vacuum given the data that's came out since. it's worth watching this talk against what the speaker said in 2016 and where the strict denials suddenly vanish. q&a is good

First Sednit UEFI Rootkit Unveiled by Frédéric Vachon (40:53)
- uefi rookits in the wild! goes through discovery of the initial vector, exploitation and the features of the rootkit. relatively quick talk, good q&a

SiliVaccine: North Korea's Weapon of Mass Detection by Mark Lechtik (52:45)
- dprk's antivirus. lots of good highlights throughout the talk. strangely doesn't tie into the prior dprk talks. q&a is very short

Frontex: Der europäische Grenzgeheimdienst by Matthias Monroy (41:38)
- deu->eng light talk covers border security at the mediterranean. mainly focuses on the cooperation between different governments in working this in practice, and libya's involvement. q&a is long

Taming the Chaos: Can we build systems that actually work? by Peter Sewell (58:53)
- starts as a standard talk about formally defined systems focusing on C. moves onto showing off academic advances in proofing in practice, and progresses to almost functional in the real world. q&a is good and a large chunk of the talk.

Censored Planet: a Global Censorship Observatory by Roya Ensafi (56:04)
- talk is mostly about rediscovering how to abuse a sequential id in ip packets to infer connectivity between 2 uncontrolled machines. then it moves onto abusing open dns resolvers. certainly some strange ethics tests involved, and seems to be ignoring legal issues. i'd go on but it's strange how for the talk about adversarial research little seems to be done on pitfalls in the data collection and likely poisoning the sources listed. q&a brings this up, but the answers don't inspire confidence.

"The" Social Credit System by Toni (1:01:17)
- great talk on china's social scoring systems. in-depth on how its seen in china, how it came into existence, and all of the biases inherent in the different models. good q&a as well

Scuttlebutt by Zenna / zelf (34:23)
- "The decentralized P2P gossip protocol" no don't run away! actually maybe do they missed more buzzwords: blockchain, mesh network, sneakernet, it just goes on. really have a drinking contest for this talk if you dare. they start rediscovering using split shared secrets for recovery. their main talk must have no substance as they then proceed to talk about other projects doing actually interesting work that they must be trying to look competent by vague association? it's a short talk as well so enjoy this trainwreck. i want my time back. q&a is far too polite on trying to get anything technical about how this protocol exists at all. questions about sybil attacks and fake accounts result in pure bullshit in response.

Hunting the Sigfox: Wireless IoT Network Security by Florian Euchner (Jeija) (38:03)
- good introduction to low energy RF protocols. quick but covers a good amount of ground for newcomers. q&a is good as well

Information Biology - Investigating the information flow in living systems by Jürgen Pahle (37:26)
- intro to biochemical modelling, good luck live translators. great talk but get ready for lots of stats. q&a covers a lot of ground as well

Introduction to Deep Learning by teubi (41:07)
- great thorough talk on how deep learning functions that's very accessible. doesn't go in depth on training issues, just how the training functions works. q&a is worthwile to watch

How does the Internet work? by Peter Stuge (50:09)
- pretty basic intro to the common protocols, honestly not great for an introduction talk as speaker is a bit nervous with a black/white slideshow and talking about all the protocols in a very dry manner. really is about the internet in early 90s compared to now - talk briefly touches on that at the end. q&a is one polite question

Compromising online accounts by cracking voicemail systems by Martin Vigo (42:02)
- great talk going through automating bruteforcing voicemail attacks to break bad reset flows. lots of practical attacks in the presentation. q&a is really good and informative for carriers in 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

First Sednit UEFI Rootkit Unveiled by Frédéric Vachon (40:53)
- uefi rookits in the wild! goes through discovery of the initial vector, exploitation and the features of the rootkit. relatively quick talk, good q&a

Taming the Chaos: Can we build systems that actually work? by Peter Sewell (58:53)
- starts as a standard talk about formally defined systems focusing on C. moves onto showing off academic advances in proofing in practice, and progresses to almost functional in the real world. q&a is good and a large chunk of the talk.
some friends of mine went to these, and talked about them over dinner

UEFI: turns out the only way to tell windows malware from windows commercial security software is reading the package lmao

taming the chaos: the code flow integrity part of this talk is apparently fascinating! looking forward to watching this at work in a couple weeks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rooney McNibnug posted:

thank you for your service.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
edit: china's social credit system was already posted. Can confirm it's A Good Talk though.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 28, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Acer Pilot posted:

Hell yea. Hope this company get's totally owned and those were root keys.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shame Boy posted:

oh my god the fedex signup process keeps getting better

of course i want to take a fun exam about me :allears:

what great questions! anyway time to submit and see how I did...

:bravo:

this is the identity verification system that the IRS used to protect filing false tax returns a few years back, with predictable results

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The IRS account setup this week had a list of special characters that was different than the list it checked against for strong password creation.

Once I figured that out and set up an account, the site timed out when I tried to login.

:shrug:

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Thanks! That's super helpful.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

me, trying to get some NIST references into some documentation.

thanks US Government. at least the banner works great with amberpos

anyone know of copy of all the NIST documentation?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Censored Planet: a Global Censorship Observatory by Roya Ensafi (56:04)
- talk is mostly about rediscovering how to abuse a sequential id in ip packets to infer connectivity between 2 uncontrolled machines. then it moves onto abusing open dns resolvers. certainly some strange ethics tests involved, and seems to be ignoring legal issues. i'd go on but it's strange how for the talk about adversarial research little seems to be done on pitfalls in the data collection and likely poisoning the sources listed. q&a brings this up, but the answers don't inspire confidence.

eh, i'd expect that concerns over compromising sources and methods is probably overblown as long as they're technical--the adversaries in question are the policy arms of government, and while those will go after identifiable persons under their jurisdiction raising a stink (you, as a government, want to shut up individuals who complain to foreign media about censorship), covering up evidence of that censorship itself is probably a much lower priority. it's not exactly a secret that some governments censor the internet (hell, Roskomnadzor itself very much makes a queriable database of censored items open to the public, albeit through a broken-rear end garbage website), and that researchers can confirm this along with specific details through non-official means probably isn't much concern to the governments in question unless it provides a means of circumventing the block also.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

edit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

abigserve posted:

afaik aws makes this trivial to do by locking a (cognito) user to a specific s3 subdirectory, no real need to increase surface area with additional middleware

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

geonetix posted:

maybe you can find some in their github?
https://github.com/usnistgov

i used one of their things for work this month & it worked as advertised

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

eh, i'd expect that concerns over compromising sources and methods is probably overblown as long as they're technical--the adversaries in question are the policy arms of government, and while those will go after identifiable persons under their jurisdiction raising a stink (you, as a government, want to shut up individuals who complain to foreign media about censorship), covering up evidence of that censorship itself is probably a much lower priority. it's not exactly a secret that some governments censor the internet (hell, Roskomnadzor itself very much makes a queriable database of censored items open to the public, albeit through a broken-rear end garbage website), and that researchers can confirm this along with specific details through non-official means probably isn't much concern to the governments in question unless it provides a means of circumventing the block also.
yeah i'm just not fond of using devices you found online at scale and ignoring the dangers involved, especially when the premise is finding misuse of networking to begin with

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

geonetix posted:

i hope the atomic clock is still running and they paid their power bill for the month :ohdear:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

naively I would expect that this couldn't happen, but after all I've heard about unexpected dangers in date/time handling, I wouldn't really be surprised anymore if a neglected atomic clock somehow goes critical and makes large swaths of the calendar uninhabitable

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

is that why leap years exist?

anyway fixed it with the help of the way back machine, thanks archive.org

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vanadium posted:

naively I would expect that this couldn't happen, but after all I've heard about unexpected dangers in date/time handling, I wouldn't really be surprised anymore if a neglected atomic clock somehow goes critical and makes large swaths of the calendar uninhabitable

lmao

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Waze is going to stop working because NIST isn’t paying their power bills so no one can talk to GPS

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
more like “government ‘pology service”

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

quotin for later, thanks for the writeup

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Vanadium posted:

i lold

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

[pre-watch disclaimer]
before i begin going from the schedule i don't expect lots of outstanding talks, or any really bad ones, so don't expect any major criticism. these are my opinions, so make your own assessments and say when a talk's poo poo that i think is good and vice versa
[/pre-watch disclaimer]

35c3 day 1 talks:

good stuff! thanks as always

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

day 1 continued (i even skipped some talks!):

Digital Airwaves by Friederike (46:09)
- SDR talk covering how each component functions, the basics of RF, and dives into signal processing. good, but keep in mind its an intro talk. q&a is short but good

Space Ops 101 by sven (1:02:16)
- great talk on mission planning and engineering. covers real world scenarios and diagnosing faults throughout the process. interesting, and a quarter of the video is devoted to q&a

Transmission Control Protocol by Hannes Mehnert (39:13)
- a rough intro to TCPIP, cares too much about explaining the minutiae rather than why the choices were made. talk is really about how they made a formal model on TCPIP rather than an introduction to beginners. few polite questions at the end.

wallet.fail by Thomas Roth, Dmitry Nedospasov and Josh Datko (1:01:58)
- downside: *coin enthusiasts. upside: 4 practical attack vectors on hardware wallets. really well done talk that covers a lot of ground quickly. q&a is alright as well

What The Fax?! by Yaniv Balmas and Eyal Itkin (46:55)
- must watch talk focusing on attacking all-in-one printers with fax functionality. full of lots of fun easter eggs. q&a is short

A Routing Interregnum: Internet infrastructure transition in Crimea after Russian annexation by Xenia (44:38)
- must watch citizenlab talk analysing what happened to all the communication infrastructure during the annexation. shows how russia improved their surveillance capabilities in crimea. q&a is long as well

Quantum Mechanics by sri (57:30)
- accessible crash course in quantum mechanics focusing on the experiments and fundamental equations. well it's accessible for people already extremely familiar with the maths behind quantum mechanics, so good luck. good amount of time for q&a

Open Source Firmware by zaolin (49:39)
- deu->eng good overview on designing firmware, and the current advances made. no real q&a after the talk

Modchips of the State by Trammell Hudson (36:52)
- great quick watch. starts off running through the bloomberg claims, and goes into how to build an implant in practice. q&a is relatively lengthy as well.

All Your Gesundheitsakten Are Belong To Us by Martin Tschirsich (1:01:41)
- deu->eng good talk focusing on health data mobile apps for medical records between doctor and patient. it covers a variety of apps, but fumbles a few times on the danger of specific issues. great other than that, and the sloppy translation. q&a is pretty long but doesn't cover much

Inside the AMD Microcode ROM by Benjamin Kollenda, Philipp Koppe (37:21)
- must watch reverse engineering talk, should be pretty familiar if you watched last years talks - same speakers on the same subject. lot of interesting advances this year. q&a has nice questions as well

SD-WAN a New Hop by Sergey Gordeychik (49:04)
- great talk covering software defined WANs, and the security issues across multiple vendors' products. q&a is light and doesn't cover much

Day 2

Exploring fraud in telephony networks by Merve Sahin, Aurélien Francillon (1:02:05)
- interesting talk. starts trying to classify the classic frauds, then brings in data to show how they work in practice and models some defenses. lots of q&a with good information mixed in

A farewell to soul-crushing code by Mike Sperber, Nicole Rauch (1:00:57)
- talk has good dynamics, but is effectively a rough intro to functional programming and haskell. 15m of q&a at the end but there isn't anything worthwhile in there

Inside the Fake Science Factories by @sveckert, @tillkrause, Peter Hornung (1:01:36)
- deu->eng worth watching. investigative journalists look into the other side of academic publishing. goes from publishing papers, to attending the conferences and analysing authors at 5 of the major predatory journals. good q&a

Modern Windows Userspace Exploitation by Saar Amar (50:58)
- shows off the progress of native mitigations by taking a ctf challenge and exploiting it on win7, 10(TH1), 10(RS5). really good runthrough of the newer protections and older ways of bypassing them. dense with lots of demos so no q&a.

SymbiFlow - Finally the GCC of FPGAs! by Tim 'mithro' Ansell (1:02:04)
- good talk. aims to make a open source toolchain for fpga development. mostly an overview of the current state of the various replacement attempts, and if you want more info on nextpnr check out the next talk. thorough q&a

The nextpnr FOSS FPGA place-and-route tool by Clifford Wolf (46:52)
- paired with the last talk. far more technical than the general overview of the last talk. q&a is alright

Explaining Online US Political Advertising by Damon McCoy (1:01:22)
- must watch talk on analysing the targeting of political ads since the 2016 election. grabs facebook/google/twitter public ads archives, talks about their approaches, and visualises the data. good q&a as well

there's a lot more good talks left for day 2, but i've caught up with their archives at the moment, so taking a break

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that fax machine talk was good at defcon this year, check it out here for sure.