Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
speaking of publicly facing things with web interfaces
https://twitter.com/mikko/status/1080223116197019648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight posted:

lmao

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

but how can u be sure mcaffee didn't but it himself?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

dads friend steve posted:

but how can u be sure mcaffee didn't but it himself?

he would’ve included a picture of whale pussy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

yeah, no half measures from john mcafee

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

abigserve posted:

lmao at this how the gently caress do you even get to the stage where any GET parameters are passed to a shell

there's not even a trick there where it's exploiting some handling or anything it's just literally ?Run this command

Junior devs and interns, sometimes people even let them review each other's code without additional oversight.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

This isn’t the cyberpunk cool billboard future I was promised in Blade Runner

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

James Baud posted:

Junior devs and interns, sometimes people even let them review each other's code without additional oversight.

lmao that you think they do code review

i mean i hired you [interns / lowest bidder contractors] to write the drat code, why should we have to have another one of you read the code???

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

lmao that you think they do code review

i mean i hired you [interns / lowest bidder contractors] to write the drat code, why should we have to have another one of you read the code???

also we hired you to write the code, it’s not unreasonable to expect you get it right the first time and don’t make mistakes

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

James Baud posted:

a company I used to work for allows developers to write in any language they please and now they have a bunch of ocaml code in production that nobody understands but the original author, it has been "code reviewed" which means it got an approved label in github

every-startup-ever.txt

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

at least a reasonably battle-tested compiler and no doubt proper typing, there are worse outcomes possible

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

at least a reasonably battle-tested compiler and no doubt proper typing, there are worse outcomes possible

yeah some ML from a grognard that’s not around is way less scary than actively-maintained C

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is someone trying to ddos the netherlands or somethign? internet seems to be unwell on eu-level for connectivity to some larger CDNs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is someone trying to ddos the netherlands or somethign? internet seems to be unwell on eu-level for connectivity to some larger CDNs

one can only hope

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also i don't feel it at all, sitting in prime internet real estate

edit: i tried connecting my vpn to riga instead of copenhagen and the speed halfed so maybe?

alternative interpretation: russia is coming good luck and :rip:

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 2, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

also i don't feel it at all, sitting in prime internet real estate
probably some tier 2 isp problem then. its gone now but i was getting some really odd and consistent hitch around noon

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

probably some tier 2 isp problem then. its gone now but i was getting some really odd and consistent hitch around noon
yeah its like that around the uk as well

someone tried to update something and a domino effect's happened

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah its like that around the uk as well

someone tried to update something and a domino effect's happened

i was getting similar stories sweden too today

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

domestic is sporadic while mobile is fine

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it is i, the secfuck, who welcomes 2019 with a brand new password because i typed the old one into the username field and now it is in the log

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm the secfuck who never got around to pick up my proper picture id for the campus, and had to argue with a very serious guy at the gates to get in when it turns out my simple rfid card needs to be reactivated (on the inside) every january 1st

well, i guess the serious guy at the gate was the secuck for letting me in. he had a gun and everything, could have kept me out pretty easy

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jabor posted:

it's exactly the same reason calling your package manager a racial slur is a bad idea. no-one cares that you got there by shortening "raccoon"

there is a town in minnesota named Coon Rapids

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
is there a hex editor or something that can automatically highlight numbers that are likely offsets or close to an offset to the thing you're looking at?

because literally every binary file format ever is [4 byte magic value][4 byte offset][4 byte size][variable number of bytes for other metadata][data]

some times it's really easy to spot the approximate place where the data starts in the file, so is there any software where i can highlight a piece of text and the program will show places that look like they might be offsets to that data. (like anything that points to the start of the selection or within ~20 bytes before the selection)

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

still chuckling about CoonHub. jfc

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

it is but it still feels wrong and ill-advised somehow

i mean even if you take out all of the problematic interpretations of the name you're still just left with a fictional character who was big, slow, lumbering, and used for dirty work by evil people oh wait actually no, it's fine.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Oh boy "Hacking Chromecasts/Google Homes/SmartTVs Progress: 7893/123141 [6.40973%]"
http://casthack.thehackergiraffe.com/

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a' reckon some varmint 'probly got in the dang bgp tables 'gain

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

oh nice they're pewdiepie supporters

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so same ones who learned you could just print over the internet and decided to do that a month or two back?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so same ones who learned you could just print over the internet and decided to do that a month or two back?

same campaign, yes. not sure if same executors

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

2018 went out with a bang at least

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hey now

you're a deskstar

get your CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

sadus posted:

Oh boy "Hacking Chromecasts/Google Homes/SmartTVs Progress: 7893/123141 [6.40973%]"

so does this link enlist your browser in the hacking effort or is it just a benign counter

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

dads friend steve posted:

still chuckling about CoonHub. jfc

raccoon isn’t really descriptive of build tools

should have named it niggurath instead

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sadus posted:

thanks for raising infosec/white supremacy awareness, fuckheads

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Max Facetime posted:

raccoon isn’t really descriptive of build tools

should have named it niggurath instead

i'm partial to the aztec goddess atlatoman myself:

Wikipedia posted:

patron goddess of those born with physical deformities or for those unfortunate Mexica who suffered from open sores.

open sores and its myriad build systems does make me suffer

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

so does this link enlist your browser in the hacking effort or is it just a benign counter
depends do you have any on your local network? from what i recall chromecast isn't intended to have any security boundaries on the local network

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Raere posted:

What's the consensus on running AV on Macs (for myself)? Do they just increase the attack surface like they tend to do on PCs, or is it actually a useful extra layer of defense?
if you want a lot more detail on mac malware in 2018:
https://twitter.com/patrickwardle/status/1080375413623336961

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if you want a lot more detail on mac malware in 2018:
https://twitter.com/patrickwardle/status/1080375413623336961

Did they actually sign their code because it would be pretty trivial to kill it if they did and if they didn't then you're going to have to click through a lot of warnings to get it to launch.

AV software on Mac is a blight on an otherwise reasonably secure platform and you should not install it.

e: lol of course they're leveraging lovely Java security for persistence

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
my favorite part of the coon controversy was the guy confidently linking to the south park wiki