Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2018 was a year wherein more anime happened. Some was good, some less so. Welcome to the annual celebration of the latter:

The rules
Worst Anime 2018
1.) Pick 3 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted (weighted votes may be counted seperately)
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

To be clear, the reason for rule 1 is to avoid everyone's lists being filled with incest animes you didn't watch. I'd much rather focus on things you tried but didn't like, and the reasons why.

Most Avoided Anime 2018

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

1.) You now get three votes in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices

Ready for an anime list?

code:
2018 Anime

100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams
3D Girlfriend / 3D Kanojo: Real Girl
A.I.C.O. Incarnation
After The Rain / Love is Like After The Rain
Aggretsuko (ONA)
Aggretsuko (ONA - Netflix)
Aguu: Genius Dolls
Aikatsu Stars!
Akkun to Kanojo
Alice or Alice: Siscon Niisan to Futago no Imouto
Amanchu! Advance
Angels of Death
Angolmois
Anima Yell!
A Place Further Than The Universe
Armor Shop for Ladies & Gentlemen / Otona no Bouguya-san
As Miss Beelzebub Likes
Asobi Asobase
Attack on Titan Season 3
B: The Beginning
Banana Fish
Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls
Beatless
Between the Sky and Sea
Beyblade Burst God
Bloom Into You
Boarding School Juliet
Butlers x Battlers / Butlers: Chitose Momotose Monogatari
Calamity of the Zombie Girl
Caligula
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card
Cardfight Vanguard G Z
Cells at Work!
Chi's Sweet Adventure 2nd Season
Chio's School Road
Cinderella Girls Gekijou 3rd Season
Citrus
Classicaloid 2nd Season
Comic Girls
Cupid's Chocolates 2nd Season
Cute High Earth Defense Club Happy Kiss!
Cutie Honey Universe
Dagashi Kashi Season 2
DAKAICHI -I'm Being Harassed by the Sexiest Man of the Year-
Damepri Anime Caravan
Dances With The Dragons
Darling in the Franxx
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
Devilman Crybaby
Devils Line
Doreiku The Animation
Double Decker! Doug & Kirill
Dragon Ball Super
Dropkick on my Devil / Jashin-chan Dropkick
Duel Masters (2017)
Encouragement of Climb Third Season / Yama no Susume: Third Season
Evil or Live (ended Jan 2?)
Fate/Extra: Last Encore (including OVAs)
Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis
Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis 2nd Season
Food Wars: The Third Plate - Totsuki Train Arc / Shokugeki no Soma: San no Sara - Totsuki Ressha-hen
Fox Spirit Matchmaker 6th Season
Frankenstein Family
Free!: Dive to the Future
Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory
Fumikiri Jikan / Crossing Time
Future Card Buddyfight X
Gakuen Babysitters
Gakuen Basara
Garo: Vanishing Line
gdgd Men's Party
Gintama: Silver Soul Arc
Gintama: Silver Soul Arc - Second Half War
Goblin Slayer
Golden Kamuy
Golden Kamuy 2nd Season
Grand Blue
Gundam Build Divers
Gurazeni
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Hakumei & Mikochi
Hakyuu Houshin Engi
Hanebado!
Happy Sugar Life
Harukana Receive
Hero Mask
High School DxD Hero
High Score Girl
Hinamatsuri
Hisone to Maso-tan / Dragon Pilot
Hitori no Shita: The Outcast 2nd Season
Holmes of Kyoto
Hoozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season (split cour)
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
How to Keep a Mummy
I'm Glad I Could Keep Running
IDOLiSH7
Idol Time PriPara
Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin
Iroduku: The World in Colors
Isekai Izakaya
Island
I Want You To Make a Disgusted Face and Show Me Your Underwear
Jingai-san no Yome
Juushinki Pandora / Last Hope
Kaiju Girls: Ultra Kaiju Gijinka Keikaku 2nd Season
Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits
Killing Bites
Kirakira Precure A La Mode
Kokkoku
Ku Pao Ying Xiong
Ladyspo
Last Period: The Journey to the End of the Despair
Late Night! Genius Bakabon
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Encounter
Lord of Vermillion: The Crimson King
Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS
Lost Song
Love is Hard for Otaku
Love to Lie Angle
Lupin the IIIrd Part 5
Magical Girl Ore
Magical Girl Site
Major 2nd
March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
Marchen Madchen
Megalobox
Merc Storia: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle
Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou
Mitsuboshi Colors
Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On
Monster Strike: The Fading Cosmos
Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues
Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles
Ms. Vampire Who Lives in my Neighborhood
Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation
My Hero Academia 3rd Season
My Sister, My Writer
Ninja Girl & Samurai Master 3rd season
One Room 2nd Season
Ongaku Shoujo / Music Girls
Oretacha Youkai Ningen
Osomatsu-san 2nd Season
Overlord II
Overlord III
Persona 5 The Animation
Phantom in the Twilight
Piano no Mori
Planet With
Please Take My Brother Away 2nd Season
Pop Team Epic
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Record of Grancrest War
Release the Spyce
RErideD: Derrida, Who Leaps Through Time
Rilu Rilu Fairilu: Mahou no Kagami
Rokuhodo Yotsuiro Biyori
Sanrio Boys
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Master
Seven Senses of the Re'Union
Shonen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan Season 2
Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight / Revue Starlight
Sirius the Jaeger
Skull-faced Bookseller Honda
Slow Start
Space Battleship Tiramisu
Space Battleship Tiramisu II
Spiritpact Season 2
SSSS.Gridman
Steins;Gate 0
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Sword Gai: The Animation
Sword Gai: The Animation Part II
Tada Never Falls In Love
Takunomi
Teasing Master Takagi
The Ancient Magus's Bride
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K Season 2
The Girl in Twilight / Akanesasu Shoujo
The Junji Ito Collection
The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar
The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!
The Scales of Nil Admirari ~The Mysterious Story of Teito~
The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of the Commandments
The Seven Heavenly Virtues
The Silver Guardian Season 2
The Thousand Noble Musketeers
Time Bokan: The Villains Strike Back
To be Heroine
Today's Menu For The Emiya Family
Toji no Miko
Tokyo Ghoul:re
Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight
Umamusume: Pretty Derby
UzaMaid!
Violet Evergarden
Wakaokami wa Shogakusei! (TV) / Okko's Inn (TV)
Wake Up Girls! Shin Shou
We Rent Tsukumogami
Working Buddies! / Hataraku Onii-san!
Working Buddies! No. 2! / Hataraku Onii-san! No. 2!
Wo Shi Jiang Xiaobai
Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary
Yamishibai Season 6
You Don't Know Gunma Yet
Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line
Yuru Camp
Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero Season 2
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
Zombieland Saga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

backstreet girls is both offensive and terribly made and ridiculously unfunny

Goblin Slayer is at least a competent production

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Well, theres really only two shows that I watched more than three eps of that I considered straight out bad so uh, grats(?) to the following
Fumikiri Jikan for spacing out your occasional good content with mostly horny kid lusts over someone episodes (at least it was only a short).
Persona 5 The Animation for being a boring sterile adaptation of something that could have cleaned up the weirdness of the original game.

Most avoided has 3 slots now so here
Backstreet Girls - why would anyone even consider making this
Goblin Slayer - i heard so much negapress that i knew to stay far far away
Uzamaid - i would have totally down for a full metal panic style comedy, but uh, not a pedophilic one, thanks

Argona fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 26, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didnt watch much in general this year so here's my most avoided

1. Backstreet Girls because holy poo poo this is genuinely one of the most reprehensible and poorly made pieces of poo poo in the last decade
2. Uzamaid because. uh.
3. Goblin Slayer just cause it seems kinda boring and stupid

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
worst anime of 2018:

Backstreet Girls gets my vote for worst Anime 2018 too. A transphobic black comedy and one of the worst anime productions I've ever seen-it looks ugly, off-model, and has almost no animation.

Uzumaid while I didn't watch the anime, but I did read a couple of chapters before hard dropping it. It's a black comedy about a pedophile lesbian maid creepily assaulting the little girl she's been entrusted to take care of, and regardless of what other content there may be in the series, the framing of the manga made it pretty clear that the mangaka jack's off to the idea. It's pure pedo bait and perpetuates negative LGBT stereotypes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also you should consider adding a "biggest disappointment" category, or make a thread for it, since I feel like some shows that don't belong on a worst/most avoided list would go on there, such as Cutie Honey Universe.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I don't actually watch enough anime to do the worst anime votes, but I can do the most avoided, especially since I've actually read a chapter of some of these

3. goblin slayer
racist propoganda, AND a normie fantasy anime, so white nerds keep on trying to convince my boyfriend and i to watch it. please stop trying to recommend a series that wouldn't be out of place in a white supremacist's reading list. it's pretty dime a dozen amongst edgier fantasy series but it's still pretty bad.

2. backstreet girls
incredibly transphobic and offensive. somehow worse than the premise would imply?? and an apparently awful adaptation of already atrocious source material.

1. uzumaid
i was promised buff maid and instead i got pedophilia. somehow manages to simultaneously both normalize pedophiles AND promote the "homosexuality=pedophilia" narrative. actually incredibly actively harmful to society

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 27, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Persona 5 The Animation: It improved upon nothing and the final ep so I heard is based on the Bad Ending why. Also meh animation which is a disappointment considering the Persona battles had the potential and zero extra info from the game.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Worst (of the ones I gave a shot):
Beatless - I got to the fourth or fifth episode and realized I didn't give a hoot about any of the characters, and none of the characters seemed to act like the same character from episode to episode.

Cutie Honey Universe - felt like it was being made by people who'd heard a synopsis of Cutie Honey, but never seen it, and they were just there for the paycheck -- it had a soulless and kind of dead feeling about it. The tongue-in-cheek feeling that the original Cutie Honey had just wasn't there.

High School DxD Hero - character redesign and retconning the previous season's ending made watching it feel futile. I made it about six episodes in before it was just too boring anymore.

Avoided -
Boarding School Juliet - Not only have I seen many iterations of Romeo and Juliet through the years, I've seen many anime iterations of it, too. I don't want to see another one.

Teasing Master Takagi - I don't need any more flashbacks to my crappy childhood, which included relentless "teasing". I did give it a shot to see if it would be different than what I thought, but I didn't make it through the first episode.

Food Wars (or any other food-based anime/manga) - I don't go to strip clubs, because if I can't touch it, I don't care. Likewise, I don't watch food anime, because if I can't eat it, I don't care.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hero mask: horrid combination of superhero movies and jason bourne movies that gave me an headache, both cause of its stupidity and its schizophrenic direction. also the first scene has the mc in a golden guy fawkes mask

ladyspo: i wanted sci fi sports/comedy which is always a good time. what i got was a piss and scat fetish anime

devilman crybaby: vile butchery of a classic that shaped the medium of manga

The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!: the noble sport of shogi deserves better then pedophilia

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
didn't watch much of cutie honey u but it seemed very in line with the way the original cutie honey manga was (bad)

there being a secret villain female detective named Genet was way more charming than anything the manga ever had though

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Worst:

Between the Sky and Sea! It sounded dumb but potentially cute, and ended up being nearly unwatchable. Basically just an ad for a lovely mobage, which I should have expected. The main characters are all bland cliches, and Haru is just really annoyingly stupid. the style is OK but the animation itself is lackluster. Plus it's like, blindingly and bewilderingly sexist in ways I didn't know media could be, lol. I knew from the start this show would be dumb but man I really hoped it'd at least be kinda fun in the process? No. It's bad. Bad bad bad.

Most avoided:

1.) goblin slayer, lol
2.) conception, because it sounded weird and gross
3.) uzamaid, because no thank you on the pedo poo poo.

i somehow never even heard of backstreet girls, which seems like it's for the best!

edit: for some reason i forgot entirely about the first 2/3rds of the year but who cares, i don't remember what i hated earlier.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 27, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

update: i just saw gdmen was this year and i loathe it. make that my worst

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
> Backstreet Girls

I know nothing about this show, I just watched a few clips. Can someone explain to me how this show is transphobic so I can be mad too

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Worst:

Cutie Honey Universe: This was...really scattered. Despite having promising staff and some really interesting visual/stylistic ideas, there was massive tonal inconsistency between the more serious/psychosexual aspects of the series while it also included some Go Nagai gags that I can only assume didn't see any updating in the forty-odd years since they were first written. Early signs that it may have been subverting some of the worst aspects of the manga (killing all lesbians) eventually turned up empty and I dropped out when they did, in fact, kill all the lesbians. The central conceit of Panther Jill seeming to play both sides in the conflict between Panther Claw and Honey was also confusingly conveyed, and likely culminated in some late-game reveal that would've clarified it...but I couldn't hang on that long.

Double Decker! Doug & Kirill: Another disappointing show, though not outright bad. This really doesn't continue the "legacy" of Tiger & Bunny for me at all. At half the length, it's naturally more limited in the scope it can handle and the number of characters it can effectively explore. Instead of taking the limitation of a single cour and putting it to use on light episodic adventures that would slowly build the cast up, there are scattershot focus episodes for a few characters, while a majority of the focus is spent on ridiculous foreshadowing so all the plot threads can converge in a multi-episode finale plotline about genetically modified soldiers from space yadda yadda yadda. The presence of a narrator allows for a consistent thread of metagags, to mixed success. As the series went on and got further into this stupid conspiracy plot I couldn't help but feel like all the self-awareness put into these gags was more and more a case of trying to have a cake and eat it too, and it honestly annoyed me. This sense of humor that frequently blew off the need for certain world or character details as "unnecessary" also gave me a bad taste when it came to the series' handful of LGBT characters. Kirill's crossdressing brother is used as a cliffhanger gag and then never really explained aside from a vague mention of him having lived as a woman for nearly a decade out of "necessity," conversely minute details like someone leaving a room covered in coffee is vital foreshadowing to let us know that no, actually, they didn't fridge the lesbian robot, you just had to wait a few episodes for the detail to come to fruition! I did enjoy all these characters but felt like they deserved a much better show to exist in.

Gundam Build Divers: I peaced out of this just over 1/4-1/3 through so my hate for it doesn't burn as hot, but it really is just fully a turd. While GBF Try was its own brand of awful, it was still in a similar mold to the first, good GBF series and focused on gunpla building/fighting as competitive sports. Divers eschews all this to bite the VRMMO trend and comes out worse for it. The game's systems are ill-defined and result in fairly boring conflicts, though this is to be expected when your leads are two of the blandest boys to exist. A slew of interesting characters that are relatively on par with the good characters in GBF fill in the secondary cast and never really shine, and this includes basically all of the female characters.

Avoided:

Banana Fish: The manga was set in the 80's and I was honestly looking forward to some period anime, including an 80's style soundtrack. When it was revealed that they were updating the story to present times, my interest was pretty much shot and I never ended up getting past the first episode of this. Their sort-of halfhearted updating seems to have created a slew of weird one-off lines/scenes here and there rather than drastically impacting the quality, but I just can't get down with the show. I'll get around to the manga sometime instead.

Hakumei & Mikochi: I was on the fence about this one since it's a TV adaptation of a highly-detailed manga, already a bad sign. Turns out this show has some of the worst official subtitles in recent memory, so it got added to my pile of stuff to read instead of watch.

Late Night! Genius Bakabon: I haven't heard much about this show to know if my impression is justified, but this came on the heels of the stinker that was Osomatsu S2 and seemed to be trying to still capitalize on the waning popularity of Osomatsu by adapting another Fujio Akatsuka comedy in a similar visual style. Having disliked Osomatsu S2, this was an easy one to write off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inkajoo posted:

> Backstreet Girls

I know nothing about this show, I just watched a few clips. Can someone explain to me how this show is transphobic so I can be mad too

well, all the main characters were forcibly turned into girls via backalley surgery in taiwan so they could become idols and repay debts they owe, and half the gags are about them acting manly while other characters freak out and realize they're really guys

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Julias posted:

Also you should consider adding a "biggest disappointment" category, or make a thread for it, since I feel like some shows that don't belong on a worst/most avoided list would go on there, such as Cutie Honey Universe.

Yep! As much as I'll poo poo all over DitF, I still don't think it really belongs here either. It deserves at least a "you tried" star on a few fronts and I still begrudingly finished the loving show.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I will be honest in my saying that I have not watched any of these beyond either cursory views, in no particular order*,

Backstreet Girls - Not watched a single episode, but I did read the first chapter way many months ago because I couldn't believe the premise and thought it HAD to be bullshit for how loving stupid and offensive it was. That this got an adaption is loving depressing since there's so much better stuff out there.

Uzumaid - I can dig some dark comedy, but the pedo stuff is incredibly creepy. Like yeah it's lampshaded hard with how everyone in the show very much knows Tsubame is all kinds of weird and creepo which I know and get is supposed to be the joke, but the fact that as another goon said that stuff like this is used as legit flak jokes that LGBT people especially lesbians are pedo's comfortably puts it on my list as poo poo instead of just crap. Definetly one of the worst things out this year.

Goblin Slayer - I've posted on this already in many boards so repeating feels pointless, but gently caress it t's a review. Even if we operate on the idea that it's not racist and the depictions are purely incidental(though still drawing from the eternal well of racist ideology), it's still a loving repugnant, vile, sexist, misogynistic as all gently caress series with world building used to facilitate the inclusion of rape, wafer thin characterization and development, very blatant power fantasy and wish fulfillment(we get to see GS without helm in the manga, SURPRISE! he's a Bishonen on top of his harem with all the flavors of waifu), and just jarring animation in the bits I've actually seen. Probably my choice for overall worst.*

There are others, but they aren't this awful or offensive and are merely mediocre.

Dishonorable Mention,

Conception - I know of the games which lack the sex and it's more of a metaphorical thing rather than actually having sex. The star children things are born from your feelings of love and affection or something or other. Either way, we all know why it's here.

* The reason for Goblin Slayer being my choice for worst over the others is that no one has any illusions about Conception, Backstreet Girls, or Uzumaid actually being good. EVERYONE knows and treats them like poo poo and simply see those shows as Japan's loving creepy weirdness leaking out and no one treats them seriously in ANY capacity and will be forgotten to the anals of time. Goblin Slayer(Manga, LN, Anime) on the other hand you see people treat as if it's some kind of great amongst it's peers and some kind of series return to the "Good Old Days" of crap like Ninja Slayer, Ogre Slayer, and all sorts of other hyper violent mediocre crap from the 90's not to mention nods from even channels that have nothing TO DO with anime and manga never mind actual channels on the medium. Add on that certain VERY racist media personalities have latched on to it for the aforementioned racist angle and it's overwhelming popularity in certain reddits, and yeah. It's that snowball effect that not only is it bad, but it's taken seriously as if it were actually good which in turn gives it more clout than the others so while Uzumaid and Backstreet Girls can be considered objectively worse, they vanish into the ether remembered(if at all) as lovely awful shows while this might stick around for a while unfortunately.

Ranzear posted:

Yep! As much as I'll poo poo all over DitF, I still don't think it really belongs here either. It deserves at least a "you tried" star on a few fronts and I still begrudingly finished the loving show.

I second this motion and would like to add Golden Kamuy. The anime isn't bad, but coming from the manga, it's very disappointing at times especialy with how they skipped a lot of material(Sugimoto's past, Barato Arc though that's getting an OVA, The Three Bears, and several others).

Edit: Saw that it's only three so I'll adjust accordingly. I only just got back into actually watching anime at all only because I saw Wotakoi, Hinamatsuri, and Slime were getting adaptions so I'm out on anything else. I generally don't believe in the idea of bad shows(I do make exceptions to this rule though if it's offensive), only like and dislike so I can't contribute to the "Bad" shows, only the avoided since by my metric, those ARE the bad shows. Everything else is not my type of show or just disappointing, but not actually bad.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 27, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have no problem throwing even a good production under the bus if it fumbles things badly or often enough. exactly what Darlifra did.

there's no need to keep fracturing the end of year stuff into more threads or splitting things beyond bad/disappointing and avoided imo.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dogsicle posted:

i have no problem throwing even a good production under the bus if it fumbles things badly or often enough. exactly what Darlifra did.

there's no need to keep fracturing the end of year stuff into more threads or splitting things beyond bad/disappointing and avoided imo.

Maybe not another thread, but definitely another category on this thread. Uwe Boll and Michael Bay are both lovely, but at least Bay tries to make movies that are over the top fun as opposed to Boll who blatantly makes poo poo write off in taxes.

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

Endorph posted:

well, all the main characters were forcibly turned into girls via backalley surgery in taiwan so they could become idols and repay debts they owe, and half the gags are about them acting manly while other characters freak out and realize they're really guys

right, i got that, except it still doesn't seem transphobic... the characters didn't want to become girls. like if the show had trans characters depicted in a derogatory way that would be one thing but it seems more like a dark version of Ranma 1/2 ... or is Ranma bad now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not like this is an actual poll with any kind of impact or social weight, its just a place for people to discuss anime they thought were bad. vote for whatever.

inkajoo posted:

right, i got that, except it still doesn't seem transphobic... they're trying to just fool people not actually become girls. it doesn't seem to have anything to do with transgenderism. like if the show had trans characters depicted in a derogatory way that would be one thing but these characters aren't trans they're just magically gender bending like Ranma ... or is Ranma bad now
idk how to tell you but sexchange surgery isnt a magical creation of fiction, and if i made a show about two guys pretending to be gay and all the gags were about how weird it'd be if they were gay thatd be homophobic even if they werent actually gay

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also tbh theres some gags in ranma that read kinda weird today though i will say the gender stuff is a much lesser issue than the really weird portrayal of chinese people

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched Uzamaid and it really sucked because of reasons previously mentioned. Persona 5 the Animation was pretty boring and didn't iterate on the game much. Other than that, I haven't bothered to watch anything else that people would consider bad (except maybe Franxx, but at least that had good production values). Probably Conception just from what I've seen, or Gobbo Slayer because whew.

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

Endorph posted:

its not like this is an actual poll with any kind of impact or social weight, its just a place for people to discuss anime they thought were bad. vote for whatever.

idk how to tell you but sexchange surgery isnt a magical creation of fiction, and if i made a show about two guys pretending to be gay and all the gags were about how weird it'd be if they were gay thatd be homophobic even if they werent actually gay

yeah i didn't read carefully but even if it isn't magical they're still not trans because it wasn't their wish to become girls. from what i see they're not trying very hard to "pass" unlike trans people who frequently make it a priority. so the juxtaposition of how they look to how un-feminine they act creates comedy.

i think a show about straight guys pretending to be gay would be hilarious. i've seen comedy videos like this. a character in one decided to be "bi" and totally isn't and that's the joke. characters who are supposedly gay constantly showing their straightness by accident would be funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inkajoo posted:

yeah i didn't read carefully but even if it isn't magical they're still not trans because it wasn't their wish to become girls. from what i see they're not trying very hard to "pass" unlike trans people who frequently make it a priority. so the juxtaposition of how they look to how un-feminine they act creates comedy.

i think a show about straight guys pretending to be gay would be hilarious. i've seen comedy videos like this. a character in one decided to be "bi" and totally isn't and that's the joke. characters who are supposedly gay constantly showing their straightness by accident would be funny.
as someone whos seen i now pronounce you chuck and larry i can assure you it really, really isnt

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

inkajoo posted:

jesus

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lmfao

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

as someone whos seen i now pronounce you chuck and larry i can assure you it really, really isnt

Was about to mention that movie. Never watched it since even to younger dumber me the premise seemed loving stupid, but either way, do we REALLY need an anime of that concept/premise?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

another worst anime: the slime show. my god was that first episode a fantastic example of all that is awful about isekai shows. which is everything

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
there's plenty "I'm not gay, I only love you" BL out there and it all sucks lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

inkajoo posted:

Can I vote for this post?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

RatHat posted:

Can I vote for this post?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Release the Spyce was the only show I watched more than three episodes of before dropping because I didn't care about anyone or anything in it.

Backstreet Girls for most avoided.

e: wait poo poo I forgot DitF was this year, that was definitely worse than Spyce.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 27, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Y'all are forgetting Tokyo Ghoul:RE season 2, the worst adaptation of anything since Berserk 2016.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That would be implying that the source material was good in the first place.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I actually didn't watched 3 episodes of any show I hated enough to count here. Awful shows I've watch at least half an episode of include Magical Girl Site (too cruel) and Master of Ragnarok (too generically isekai-ish).

Most Avoided:
3. Backstreet Girls. I considered other shows with tasteless premises (e.g., DAKAICHI) for this slot, but settled on this one after reading inkajoo's post.
2. Uzamaid. Other posters have said enough about it, both here and in the Fall 2018 thread, that there isn't much left to say.
1. Goblin Slayer. It beats Uzamaid mainly by being more popular.

Dishonorable mention to My Sister, My Writer. On one hand, it likely caused more real-world harm than the shows I voted for (those poor animators...). On the other hand, I could see myself checking out clips from the worst-animated parts at some point, so it's not really my Most Avoided, is it?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

I actually didn't watched 3 episodes of any show I hated enough to count here. Awful shows I've watch at least half an episode of include Magical Girl Site (too cruel) and Master of Ragnarok (too generically isekai-ish).

Most Avoided:
3. Backstreet Girls. I considered other shows with tasteless premises (e.g., DAKAICHI) for this slot, but settled on this one after reading inkajoo's post.
2. Uzamaid. Other posters have said enough about it, both here and in the Fall 2018 thread, that there isn't much left to say.
1. Goblin Slayer. It beats Uzamaid mainly by being more popular.

Dishonorable mention to My Sister, My Writer. On one hand, it likely caused more real-world harm than the shows I voted for (those poor animators...). On the other hand, I could see myself checking out clips from the worst-animated parts at some point, so it's not really my Most Avoided, is it?

Jesus I forgot about DAKAICHI and My Sister My Writer. Looked up Magical Girl and noped hard just off the images and yeah Master of Ragnarok just looks way paint by numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

3D Kanojo Real Girl - This is the worst show I watched this year. At least I laughed at Uza. This show is a no budget tale of miserable, idiotic non-characters being frustrating at each other. Every new character introduced is in a race to be the least likeable while the entire cast keeps pace to keep it a contest. Seeing that there's a new season coming up makes me assume Date A Live needed something to look good in comparison to.

Most avoided: That loving BY THE POWER OF MY CELL PHONE isekai. Oh yeah also backstreet girls. Leave me alone Netflix goddamn.

kater fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 27, 2018