Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kater posted:

3D Kanojo Real Girl - This is the worst show I watched this year. At least I laughed at Uza. This show is a no budget tale of miserable, idiotic non-characters being frustrating at each other. Every new character introduced is in a race to be the least likeable while the entire cast keeps pace to keep it a contest. Seeing that there's a new season coming up makes me assume Date A Live needed something to look good in comparison to.

Most avoided: That loving BY THE POWER OF MY CELL PHONE isekai. Oh yeah also backstreet girls. Leave me alone Netflix goddamn.

I hate to tell you this but there are at least two isekais where the MC's superpower is cellphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Hakkyu Houshin Engi is incredibly bad. It's an adaptation of an almost 20 year old manga series, but that's not the reason the anime is bad; the manga itself had a respectable 23 volume run and eventually got translated by Viz. It just completely mangles the original story and possibly poisoning the well for future adaptations. One issue is the uneven and breakneck pacing, although breakneck is probably too slow to describe it: For the first few episodes, it covers the material at an average pace of 1 volume per episode, skipping a lot of plot points and confusing any viewer unfamiliar with the material. They also end up cutting a lot of content to fit things into a 24 episode runtime, from characters with low screen-time to an entire story arc. The most baffling part is that events and developments from the removed arc are still referenced in later episodes! A fan might think that maybe they're just doing this to cover the whole story in 24 episodes, but they end the season 2/3s of the way through the story.

What makes this worse is that there was only one anime prior to this almost 19 years ago, and it wasn't particularly good either. It covered less of the story, got an anime-only ending and was rebranded as "Soul Hunter" for the dub, which also got released before the manga translation. The production values for the 2018 version were pretty good, so this was a good opportunity to try and build a new fanbase, but instead they made a 24 episode advertisement to peddle merchandise for the older, hardcore fans. And for anyone actually interested in reviving the series and creating a modern fanbase, they'll probably have an uphill battle attracting new fans with this anime existing.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Worst and/or most disappointing shows that I watched to the end:

Darling in the Franxx took a huge nose-dive towards the end, tossing aside twenty episodes of character development and world building in favor of boring, cliched, poorly directed space opera bullshit. I'm still angry at how much of a waste of time this show turned out to be.

Wotakoi was really bland, with bare-bones animation and shoddy comedic timing that killed a lot of potentially funny jokes. The otaku angle did nothing for me, and having a rom-com with adult characters is pointless if said characters still act like high school kids most the time.

Revue Starlight wasn't necessarily bad, just disappointing. The magical stage fights were great, but the plot connecting them felt predictable and formulaic, with some poor narrative decisions and a finale that, at least for me, landed with a thud.

Dishonorary mentions for shows that I dropped after more than three episodes:

Caligula had some half-way decent ideas, but no real hook, and all the trappings of a video game adaptations. I think I made it to episode five before I completely lost interest.

Banana Fish felt disjointed in its half-baked attempt to update an extremely 80s story to the present day. The budding romance between the two main characters was handled pretty well, but the story was also littered with gay stereotypes that haven't been acceptable for decades. Most importantly though, it just wasn't that interesting, and I dropped it after learning that it would be two cours.

Most avoided goes to Goblin Slayer, UzaMaid, and My Sister, My Writer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Goblin slayer is fun schlock so I'm not putting it on a list here.

Most Hated: Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis. I love Tetsuo Hara's stuff and seeing it turned into crappy CGI really rustled my jimmies.
Most Disappointed: Osomatsu S2...
Most Avoided: Dagashi Kashi. Who gives a poo poo about candy, the only good thing on it is the purple chick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Goblin slayer is fun schlock so I'm not putting it on a list here.

Most Hated: Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis. I love Tetsuo Hara's stuff and seeing it turned into crappy CGI really rustled my jimmies.
Most Disappointed: Osomatsu S2...
Most Avoided: Dagashi Kashi. Who gives a poo poo about candy, the only good thing on it is the purple chick
the purple girl is for plebs, the girl with the tiny pupils is the real poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whats this? my casual best friend girl with cute eyes and a fang? no thanks, id much rather hang out with the manic pixie-stik dream girl with boobs that vary in size based on the key animator

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
what were the gay stereotypes in Banana Fish

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dagashi kashi is fail because of the fake out gag at the end of season 1 where the blonde girl thought big boob girl was going to kiss her and just accepted it and then they didn't kiss because it is a coward's candy anime

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

whats this? my casual best friend girl with cute eyes and a fang? no thanks, id much rather hang out with the manic pixie-stik dream girl with boobs that vary in size based on the key animator
Two households, both alike in dignity imo

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I liked the char designs. flats big rear end girl is #Representation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

what were the gay stereotypes in Banana Fish

The only openly gay characters I remember in the first half were pretty much all paedophilic rapists. Dino, Marvin, the prison guys... don't recall anyone in a healthy adult relationship with anyone, for sure.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nobody watched s2 so we can't talk about the tired OL it introduced

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
guess i never really thought of those chars as gay besides Dino. the stereotype that high ranking republican lawmakers are part of a huge child sex ring is probably true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

guess i never really thought of those chars as gay besides Dino. the stereotype that high ranking republican lawmakers are part of a huge child sex ring is probably true.

IIRC, Marvin's whole thing is that he's out and generally known to be gay. Can't think of any other examples of that in the episodes I watched - just the one fat, sleazy perv who likes his 'partners' way too young.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Admittedly I thought of the protags as gay the whole time. At any rate I didn't see it as stereotyping cuz the plot is about the mafia and high level government officials who are involved in child trafficking together doing Iran Contra, which rules for a shoujo yaoi comic that came out in the 80's.

Did they change the ending at all? I loving hated the ending.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
In retrospect, Backstreet Girls was needlessly mean-spirited and transphobic, and I deeply regret giving it the time of day. The premise could have easily been about 3 cisgender yakuza women being forced into the idol industry. It still would have been extremely problematic, but at least the humor could have come from the manufactured femininity of the idol industry.

Like many others, I was disappointed in Darling in the Franxx, but I can't bring myself to be super harsh on it. It had a lot of good things going for it, but it really fumbled in the last few episodes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Wild to think Banana Fish anticipated pizza gate by like 30 years

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Saya Endoh was great.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Admittedly I thought of the protags as gay the whole time. At any rate I didn't see it as stereotyping cuz the plot is about the mafia and high level government officials who are involved in child trafficking together doing Iran Contra, which rules for a shoujo yaoi comic that came out in the 80's.

I think it's mainly just that there isn't a single positively-portrayed gay adult male in the story. Ash and Eiji have a number of adult friends and role models, but all of them are either avowedly heterosexual or don't have their sexuality brought up at all, while every named adult who expresses attraction to their own sex is an evil, sleazy childfucker. It kind of contextualises Ash and Eiji's relatively chaste relationship in a pretty weird way. I mean, if you made, say, Max's ex a dude then you'd still have problems (seeing as she gets gang-raped shortly after her introduction because schlocky Eighties crime thriller), but you wouldn't have that problem.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Worst:
1. Gakuen Babysitters
This is the only one I actually watched enough of to count, and tbh it was more out of disappointment and irritation about one character than the entire show being bad. I'd been looking forward to watching it since I'd had the manga on my list to read forever and never got around to it, but then it introduced the guy who gets nosebleeds whenever he sees kids (what) and I really didn't feel like watching that sort of joke even if it wasn't meant specifically to be "lol this guy is a total pedo how funny" (he's supposed to be overcome with how cute and precious babies and small kids are due to a bad childhood or something? in a non-sexual way? but just uses the nosebleed gag which nearly universally indicates sexual arousal? for reasons??? idk)

Most Avoided:
1. Dakaichi
So generally I am very excited to see a new BL anime, but oh my god please stop picking the worst ones to adapt. I was already avoiding this lovely manga, so I knew this show was going to be trash. I did sort of skim through the first episode to see if they animated the literal, actual rape that the manga starts with and they toned it down a little but the whole premise is still a guy being blackmailed into having sex but really he likes it and turns out they're in love barf barf barf. Plus the show is really ugly on top of that. I even saw fujos on tumblr trashing it and if you've lost the tumblr fujos you have really put out a pile of poo poo.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's mainly just that there isn't a single positively-portrayed gay adult male in the story. Ash and Eiji have a number of adult friends and role models, but all of them are either avowedly heterosexual or don't have their sexuality brought up at all, while every named adult who expresses attraction to their own sex is an evil, sleazy childfucker. It kind of contextualises Ash and Eiji's relatively chaste relationship in a pretty weird way. I mean, if you made, say, Max's ex a dude then you'd still have problems (seeing as she gets gang-raped shortly after her introduction because schlocky Eighties crime thriller), but you wouldn't have that problem.

I didn't see it that way at all when reading it but I guess I see the read when it's laid out like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, that's a thing with a lot of 80s yaoi - the main characters are 'pure' in contrast to the gross world around them. It's only partly a gay thing, it's partly just a product of the economic boom in that period leading to a lot of cultural excess and strange crime that got brought up on tv and in turn influenced art. it's also partly a shoujo thing.

of course this is reason number 76 why trying to update the story to take place in modern times is dumb. it's a product of the period it was made in, which is also the period its set in, and having that context is pretty critical to getting why its important and worthwhile, imo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah same

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
like that's objectively what characters are in the story but I didn't take away that I was supposed to think all gay men are pedophiles from that at all.

the thing that really makes me mad in a sort of gay way is their relationship post drama would have been really interesting to explore and instead it is the way it is which sucks

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
anyway hopefully with the anime bringing some more awareness to banana fish all of western fandom can experience yoshida's real masterpiece about gay teenagers https://mangadex.org/title/5676/kawa-yori-mo-nagaku-yuruyaka-ni

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

DisDisDis posted:

from what I read, nope, not really.

the ending shot is looking down on ash collapsed on eiji's note to him on a library table after he got stabbed. which is its whole other thing like i get that suspension of disbelief is a thing and all but the entire anime is ash being superhuman and everything shaking off knife wounds and gunshots and even loving tranquilizers but finally dies after a knife wound? granted gut wounds arent the best but still! Also is the almost complete lack of police presence an 80s new york thing or just a story decision? Cause I had to laugh when after eiji got shot and taken away from the seedy warehouse by an ambulance, the literal gang members and ash (who himself was shot!!) were completely ignored by any sort of authority.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yep, that sure is the ending

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Alright, throwing stuff under the bus then.

Worst, or at least biggest disappointments:

1. Darling in the FranXX
Covered enough. So many dropped threads and nuked concepts before a pointless ending that addressed nothing.

2. Violet Evergarden
Was so intensely loving boring. I get being cagey about what's-his-rear end and the war and her robot hands or whatever, but get the gently caress on with it. I stopped paying attention after two episodes had literally no meaningful new information.

3. Amanchu Advance
Bit of a quality dip to start, and then really bad pacing on a contentious part of the source material. Another milder case of "Get the gently caress on with it!" Effectively dropped despite a followup to a favorite of mine.

Avoided:

1. Goblin Slayer
2. Uzumaid
3. Baki

Baki, though, is not because I wouldn't totally be into it, but because I decided to wait for Netflix to release which didn't happen for months and then I forgot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Osomatsu s2 was such a bummer after a really strong first episode. I felt betrayed. it and pop team epic were my biggest disappointments of the year by far.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Ranzear posted:

2. Violet Evergarden
Was so intensely loving boring.

i will fight you on this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

violet evergarden really showcased the absolute dearth of quality writers working for all the kyoani ln adaptations

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

doomrider7 posted:

I second this motion and would like to add Golden Kamuy. The anime isn't bad, but coming from the manga, it's very disappointing at times especialy with how they skipped a lot of material(Sugimoto's past, Barato Arc though that's getting an OVA, The Three Bears, and several others).

The Golden Kamuy anime is up there with the Azumanga Daioh anime for "adaptations that I loving hate and most people don't seem to understand why" category. Not that that they're capital B BAD but... oh god, such wasted potential... great googly moogly...

Most avoided:
Uzamaid because I mean just look at it
Goblin Slayer because straight isekai is bad (Except Rayearth), and straight isekai tryhard power fantasy is worse, and then a buncha creepoid rape bits makes it even more worser, so it's like the worst, really
Darling in the Franks: I probably just have really strong confirmation bias, but this show smelled fishy from a mile away to me, and the reactions to it have only served to feed my probably unfounded belief in my incredible foresight :eye:

No votes for worst because my attention is too short for bad things to hold it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

straight isekai is bad

um

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
As in non-comedic!

That being said, adding gay stuff would probably help make isekai less bad, so that other interpretation may also be right

Unless it's gay rape. We don't need isekai Banana Fish.

*Edit* Oh, well that just proves how intensely I avoided it.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 28, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin slayer is a lot of things but isekai isnt one of them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fursonally I'm glad of all the people who seemed to have enjoyed Goblin Slayer this year. :peanut:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fursonally I'm glad of all the people who seemed to have enjoyed Goblin Slayer this year. :peanut:

this. good times to all that want it :cheers:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

goblin slayer is a lot of things but isekai isnt one of them

I mean, it's an Isekai for Cu and Guts probably

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Darling in the Franxx
Probably closer to most disappointing rather than worst (although I will give it worst ending of the year hands down) as there were some good parts to this show. However, by the end it managed to squander almost any good will I had towards it and left a real sour taste in the mouth. The song from the OP was good though!

Violet Evergarden
Aggressively boring to the point where it felt like work trying to sit through episodes. I just made it through three because I hoped it would get better or start clicking for me but it never did.

The Junji Ito Collection
There were a couple of decent episodes but largely just a big waste of time

Avoided: Goblin Slayer, Uzamaid and Backstreet Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I want to throw hammers at them. :twisted: