Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

As in non-comedic!

That being said, adding gay stuff would probably help make isekai less bad, so that other interpretation may also be right

Unless it's gay rape. We don't need isekai Banana Fish.

*Edit* Oh, well that just proves how intensely I avoided it.

We need more things like Banana Fish in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

goblin slayer is a lot of things but isekai isnt one of them

It may as well be given it has all of the negative stereotypes associated with the genre. Bland and largely faceless OP protagonist self-insert, Waifu harem of every flavor, mediocre to straight up bad world building and character development. Really the only thing missing is Truck-kun. The only real difference is that it's painted in edgelord. It getting a free pass on all of these is one the things that pisses me off.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AsagiKurosagi/status/1050048348286152705?s=19

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dang the goblin slayer hosed?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goblin slayer being a self insert is a stretch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

goblin slayer being a self insert is a stretch

It's plausible to buy him as someone the audience are supposed to imagine themselves as, though, given that he's a literally faceless underdog power fantasy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

It's plausible to buy him as someone the audience are supposed to imagine themselves as, though, given that he's a literally faceless underdog power fantasy.
I wouldn't call being a lone survivor of a raped and pillaged village raised and trained to be a killing machine by an old gremlin a power fantasy. Guy can barely function outside of war.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

It's more that he lacks any real defining personality and character. Other than his obsession with goblins there's really not a lot there. The manga has shown his face and he's a bishounen so there right there is another notch to the whole power fantasy aspect. Guts had similar issues if you will in the early parts of Berserk til his back-story was further explored in the "Golden Age" arc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
guts very explicitly had his aversion to physical contact in the stuff immediately leading up to golden age

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

I wouldn't call being a lone survivor of a raped and pillaged village raised and trained to be a killing machine by an old gremlin a power fantasy. Guy can barely function outside of war.

Batman is a broken emotionally stunted man with HUGE trust and emotional distance issues among several other things wrong with him. Doesn't change people from perceiving him as a power fantasy or prevent some writers from indulging said fantasy. JLA: Act of God is one such story. It's how the story leads with it. Like yes his back-story is horrific and he's a broken man who can barely function, but the story never really leads with these or show how bad these are. To use Batman again, some of the better writers show how messed up he is and how it negatively impacts him and the people around him. Largely speaking, he's tolerated, but not particularly liked or often trusted.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Colonel posted:

guts very explicitly had his aversion to physical contact in the stuff immediately leading up to golden age

That's a good point that I had forgotten about. The Golden Age arc did a lot to flesh out Guts's character and we not only see why he is the way he is, but we see tangible differences in how he was before Eclipse, After, and when he gets his new party.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Thanks to a stream I watch, I've seen some of the really bad stuff this year.
Citrus- Ignoring the incest stuff, it also was a bit rapey.

Senjuushi-Really terrible character designs, incredibly stupid plot and terrible animation.

Conception Not only is it an adaptation of an awful game, it was a really half-assed adaptation too. The first episode tells the viewer to go to the website if they want to learn the plot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Thanks to a stream I watch, I've seen some of the really bad stuff this year.
Citrus- Ignoring the incest stuff, it also was a bit rapey.

i feel like this is slightly disingenuous of how those scenes in the early going are portrayed

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i feel like this is slightly disingenuous of how those scenes in the early going are portrayed

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I've seen many takes on citrus but rapey is a new one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't see what that would be a surprise there's some at least dubious consent stuff going on in the first few episodes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its been awhile, maybe rapey was a bit too strong of a word, but it definitely felt like she didn't have consent before doing sexual things to somebody. I just remember the protagonist coming off as a sex creep.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
she's a teenage lesbian coming to grips with her sexuality in an extremely awkward environment and social situation with zero guidance to help her out, the point of those scenes is how weird and uncomfortable they are for literally everyone

the loving ending of citrus is gay marriage becoming legal

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 28, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
ITT goons compete to say they hated goblin slayer the most to reaffirm themselves amongst their peers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

loving lol at all the grace being extended to the sexual manipulate your sister show when dakaichi got loving pilloried.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i feel like the whole 'oh hey shes your new step sister!' thing was just a way to conveniently get them into the same bedroom together.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

kater posted:

loving lol at all the grace being extended to the sexual manipulate your sister show when dakaichi got loving pilloried.

to be fair, it looks bad

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well, I skipped to the part where he tried to rape the other guy 10 minutes into the first ep and then when they had I guess consensual sex 18 minutes in and I'd call it thoroughly mediocre, not really worth being mad about but I don't think I saw anyone mentioning it existed at all except Dav so I don't know where 'it got pilloried' came from.

There's a lot of really good BL out there some by authors with other adapted series so it's disappointing stuff like this gets adapted over those things, though maybe it drastically improves in the following 11 episodes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol at acting like citrus, did not get also shat on running up to and throughout its airing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Colonel posted:

lol at acting like citrus, did not get also shat on running up to and throughout its airing

I legit forgot that was even running at all, same for Dakaichi and Backstreet Girls which I STILL don't understand why it even got made at all compared to some of the other crap listed on here. Citrus is weird creepy lesbian vampire sister anime right? I remember reading a chapter or two on Mangadex some time before the anime got announced.

Edit: Yeah it's the one. No loving clue why I thought they were vampires.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 28, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Citrus is weird creepy lesbian vampire sister anime right?

are you a real person

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

I legit forgot that was even running at all, same for Dakaichi and Backstreet Girls which I STILL don't understand why it even got made at all compared to some of the other crap listed on here. Citrus is weird creepy lesbian vampire sister anime right? I remember reading a chapter or two on Mangadex some time before the anime got announced.

i'm gonna goblin slay this post

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i feel like the whole 'oh hey shes your new step sister!' thing was just a way to conveniently get them into the same bedroom together.

i like how the mom is just like, you girls go take a fun bath together now~

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: Yeah it's the one. No loving clue why I thought they were vampires.

please don't compare the manga written by a lesbian loosely based off of her teenage experiences to backstreet girls

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 28, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Colonel posted:

please don't compare the manga written by a lesbian loosely based off of her teenage experiences to backstreet girls

I apologize if it came off like that. I simply meant that I had forgotten that the series came this out this year similar to that one(summer and fall if I'm not mistaken). Backstreet Girls is in its own league of loving awful and I meant no comparison with Citrus in my comment.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 28, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

1. My Sister, My Writer - I watched like 5 episodes just to see how bad it is, and good loving lord. The animation is a disaster, the art is changing every scene, nothing is consistent, I'm honestly surprised that the credits aren't just a list of positions followed by TBD. It's bad, and dumb, but some of the animation errors are amazing.
2. Persona 5 The Animation - Imagine Persona 5, but without the game, and with the same bad plot with some questionable animation thrown in. Then imagine they decided that the anime would end with the game's bad end. That's P5, the animation! It's terrible! There's a lot of kawakami though if you're into that though. I guess this is more "very disappointing" rather than outright bad but whatever.
3. Banana Fish - I was promised a good gay crime anime. This was very much not that. I think I might have been mislead or I came into it with the wrong mindset or whatever because I found this pretty distasteful, so here it is.

I didn't avoid anything specifically, I guess? I usually only watch things that fall into my wheelhouse so my viewership isn't super broad, but this season had some real stinkers that I ended up watching so here I am.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

it's almost like different people were watching and talking about those shows

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

good gay crime

Don't worry fam I got you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I had never heard of Goblin Slayer and someone asked me to watch the first episode and give an impression, it started off fine, oh it's basically D&D they even have a leveling system that's kind of cool, maybe this will be silly and someone will attack The Darkness with magic missiles. Haha a group of unprepared adventurers getting owned by goblins oh wait this turned into a rape scene real fast what the gently caress is wrong with you, Japan? Oh I guess goblin children squeal like pigs when they get their heads bashed in that's uh some interesting world building I guess

That said I've sure as hell seen worse anime than this, but since the first episode is Berserk-tier edgelord nonsense I can only assume that things get worse from there. Reading this thread a bit apparently there's a racism controversy? Does that happen later, or did the author like say "Chinese people are goblins" or something?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I forgot about the LoGH reboot. That one was my most avoided oops.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

QuarkJets posted:

I had never heard of Goblin Slayer and someone asked me to watch the first episode and give an impression, it started off fine, oh it's basically D&D they even have a leveling system that's kind of cool, maybe this will be silly and someone will attack The Darkness with magic missiles. Haha a group of unprepared adventurers getting owned by goblins oh wait this turned into a rape scene real fast what the gently caress is wrong with you, Japan? Oh I guess goblin children squeal like pigs when they get their heads bashed in that's uh some interesting world building I guess

That said I've sure as hell seen worse anime than this, but since the first episode is Berserk-tier edgelord nonsense I can only assume that things get worse from there. Reading this thread a bit apparently there's a racism controversy? Does that happen later, or did the author like say "Chinese people are goblins" or something?

it's mostly just the usual "inherently evil races posing a threat that can only be dealt with by genocide are kind of a questionable thing to write into your setting" thing, in combination with various corners of the internet being gross about it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The racism bit is simply that fantasy has a long and uncomfortable history of using fantasy creatures as stand-ins for real-world races, and the way GS demonises the goblins is intense enough and reminiscent enough of real-world fascist propaganda to remind a bunch of folks of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

citrus isn't a sexually manipulate your sister show. because the entire point is that the things mei is doing are incredibly bad and the result of society's incredibly hosed up understand of how lesbians are able to express their sexuality, and the point is that her and yuzu work through them to reach a point where they're healthy and happy, along with a bunch of teenage lesbians who have hosed up views of their own sexuality. mei never once has any actual power over yuzu, and her attempts at 'manipulating' yuzu are fumbling and broken and yuzu is clearly never in any real danger - there's things she doesn't like mei doing but she gets out of those situations immediately and then they actually deal with the fallout of what happened. Because they're two morons with a warped view of their own sexualities. Yuzu barely even gets that girls are a thing she's allowed to kiss and Mei views her own sexuality as a negative that people will be pushed away by, and she acts out in those ways in order to prove to herself that it's wrong. The fact that it's wrong is something every character is aware of and is the entire point of the scene.

citrus is melodramatic and bumbling, especially early on, and if it's not to your taste I incredibly get why, but it's not some kind of incest rape show where you're meant to go 'wow this is hot.' It's a show with like two forced kisses, and forcibly kissing someone is hosed up but comparing it to a show with literal rape in it is dumb as hell.

its almost like watching 12 minutes of a show so you can deliver a hot take is stupid!

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 28, 2018