Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

ITT goons compete to say they hated goblin slayer the most to reaffirm themselves amongst their peers

Post your dumbass list or I'm gonna hit you with hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Big Hammers.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Citrus is weird creepy lesbian vampire sister anime right?

no that's monogatari

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

citrus isn't a sexually manipulate your sister show. because the entire point is that the things mei is doing are incredibly bad and the result of society's incredibly hosed up understand of how lesbians are able to express their sexuality, and the point is that her and yuzu work through them to reach a point where they're healthy and happy, along with a bunch of teenage lesbians who have hosed up views of their own sexuality. mei never once has any actual power over yuzu, and her attempts at 'manipulating' yuzu are fumbling and broken and yuzu is clearly never in any real danger - there's things she doesn't like mei doing but she gets out of those situations immediately and then they actually deal with the fallout of what happened. Because they're two morons with a warped view of their own sexualities. Yuzu barely even gets that girls are a thing she's allowed to kiss and Mei views her own sexuality as a negative that people will be pushed away by, and she acts out in those ways in order to prove to herself that it's wrong. The fact that it's wrong is something every character is aware of and is the entire point of the scene.

citrus is melodramatic and bumbling, especially early on, and if it's not to your taste I incredibly get why, but it's not some kind of incest rape show where you're meant to go 'wow this is hot.' It's a show with like two forced kisses, and forcibly kissing someone is hosed up but comparing it to a show with literal rape in it is dumb as hell.

its almost like watching 12 minutes of a show so you can deliver a hot take is stupid!

Thanks for articulating this. I bounced off Citrus pretty hard despite really wanting to like it, and I've struggled to express why exactly; I wasn't uncomfortable with it because it was creepy (it wasn't), but because it was more real than I'd been expecting.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There was really only one show I gave a full 3 episodes before deciding it wasn't for me and that was That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. I don't even see this in the list, possibly because it's ongoing but I've already noped out on it so it's going here anyway. I gave it three episodes because the premise was amusing on first glance and it had a lot of hype but I don't really get it. Everything I saw was just the slime explaining about how he has such-and-such magical power to solve any situation which is a level of imagination I can get from the average four year old.

Most avoided was Goblin Slayer because of course it was.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I forgot about the LoGH reboot. That one was my most avoided oops.

shame the current anime landscape will never allow anything like logh to be made again!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I watched the sea of stars once and I can see why

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

drat hard hitting commentary from the guy that can't finish anything

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I did finish that movie unfortunately

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a prequel movie you're ideally supposed to watch after you already know the characters

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The LoGH thread said to watch it instead of the first X amount of episodes so I guess those guys really screwed the pooch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a different movie

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Davincie posted:

drat hard hitting commentary from the guy that can't finish anything

LOL pwnz0erd

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the three episode requirement means the only show that qualifies for me is double decker: doug and kirill, which i dropped like a rock after it busted out some of the most vexing transphobia i've ever seen

not the worst

just the most vexing

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

That's a different movie

Well now I don't know what I watched

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

citrus isn't a sexually manipulate your sister show. because the entire point is that the things mei is doing are incredibly bad and the result of society's incredibly hosed up understand of how lesbians are able to express their sexuality, and the point is that her and yuzu work through them to reach a point where they're healthy and happy, along with a bunch of teenage lesbians who have hosed up views of their own sexuality. mei never once has any actual power over yuzu, and her attempts at 'manipulating' yuzu are fumbling and broken and yuzu is clearly never in any real danger - there's things she doesn't like mei doing but she gets out of those situations immediately and then they actually deal with the fallout of what happened. Because they're two morons with a warped view of their own sexualities. Yuzu barely even gets that girls are a thing she's allowed to kiss and Mei views her own sexuality as a negative that people will be pushed away by, and she acts out in those ways in order to prove to herself that it's wrong. The fact that it's wrong is something every character is aware of and is the entire point of the scene.

citrus is melodramatic and bumbling, especially early on, and if it's not to your taste I incredibly get why, but it's not some kind of incest rape show where you're meant to go 'wow this is hot.' It's a show with like two forced kisses, and forcibly kissing someone is hosed up but comparing it to a show with literal rape in it is dumb as hell.

its almost like watching 12 minutes of a show so you can deliver a hot take is stupid!

I might actually pick this up again given your explanation of things and what someone else said about happy gay wedding which is something I can always get behind. Not sure why, but it made me think of Tasogare Shimanami which was really good and one of the most gorgeous manga I've seen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Well now I don't know what I watched

another stunning insight :cheers:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
dav what are the best LoGH yaoi djs

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

probably reinhard x siegfried but i think walter von schenkopp has some real potential

otherwise a mittermeyer and reuental tryst makes a lot of sense characterwise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I might actually pick this up again given your explanation of things and what someone else said about happy gay wedding which is something I can always get behind. Not sure why, but it made me think of Tasogare Shimanami which was really good and one of the most gorgeous manga I've seen.
The wedding isn't in the anime, hopefully we get a citrus season 2. Some of the material in the back half of citrus goes on a bit long but its got a great ending

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

The wedding isn't in the anime, hopefully we get a citrus season 2. Some of the material in the back half of citrus goes on a bit long but its got a great ending

Bummer. I'll definetly pick up the manga again.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Maybe it's recency bias, but I would gladly memorize each and every frame of Goblin Slayer and Uzumaid and write a novel-length cross-over fanfiction, if that could give me a slightest chance to eject from my brain 4 episodes of Junji Ito Collection that I watched last week. Ugh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goblin Slayer and Uzamaid have some actual artistry and craft to the animation/direction at least, Junji Ito collection was a horrible adaptation of great material.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's literally no winning in this thread

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DisDisDis posted:

the parts in the novels where the author just talks about how reinhard and kircheis look into each other's eyes and tease each other and reinhard idly plays with kircheis hair when they're alone

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

there's literally no winning in this thread
False. This is when Overlord III lost to bad, baaad CGI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUpxnsiYX40

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I noped out of Darling early on when it looked like it was going down some :biotruths: males and females finding their ideal heterosexual partner to pilot giant robots thing and judging by the same brand of gamer dude still rocking 02 avatars I don't think it got any better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the good news is that i don't think that's what it was trying to say. the bad news is the director didn't have any idea what he was trying to say either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

I noped out of Darling early on when it looked like it was going down some :biotruths: males and females finding their ideal heterosexual partner to pilot giant robots thing and judging by the same brand of gamer dude still rocking 02 avatars I don't think it got any better
there was a canonical lesbian couple at the end my dude

franxx still has some dumb ideas about sexuality and gender but its not that kind of awful

also judging anime by the people who are fans of it is always dumb, there was huge drama over an incredibly awful guy making a fuss about 'fags and dykes' at anime cons and his twitter icon was from a manga literally by a lesbian. people don't seek out art that reinforces their beliefs, they view art through a lens that reinforces their beliefs. if they like something, they'll warp it to suit their views.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Grouchio posted:

False. This is when Overlord III lost to bad, baaad CGI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUpxnsiYX40

the CGI is actually really good but it's the only good part of this video

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

Goblin Slayer and Uzamaid have some actual artistry and craft to the animation/direction at least

Debatable for some of those GS backgrounds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

One Eisenach Two Cups of coffee

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I don't feel like including a most avoided this year. I don't get proper ranty under those circumstances, you know? Real, proper hate requires knowing someone.

So, without further ado, my bottom three

Number three: Darling in the Franxx.

Honestly, this one's more of an honorable mention for sucking than outright calling it the worst. The show kept running a knife edge for its whole run where it could either be something brilliant or something crap, and it turned out all the great directing, symbolic shots, and strong scenes added up to... crap.

Again, it's all the more frustrating because it did so much right. Subtle foreshadowing, spot-on scenes of character interaction, even occasional emotionally involving payoff. When it was good, it was very good indeed. It's just that when it was bad it was horrid.

Number two: FLCL Alternative.

I know. Some people love it. Some people would put Prog here instead.

They're wrong.

FLCL is a show where crazy poo poo happens all the time, and you're expected to roll with it. It has themes and deeper meanings and actual explanations for the plot (which, yes, Prog got up its own rear end about, we're not defending Prog here, defending things is for the other thread.) but it's fundamentally about growing up and about all the coolest, craziest poo poo exploding all over a supposedly ordinary small town life (which, to be honest, isn't that ordinary itself.)

Alt, meanwhile, spent four of its six episodes a boring show about four boring high school girls that vaguely remembered it needed to have something happen because it was called FLCL. Then the ending tried to imitate old school Gainax OVAs without getting why those worked in the first place. Kana's supposed to be like Nono at the end of Gunbuster episode 4, but where Nono gave a speech showing real character growth and turned the entire setup on its head, Kana just... stays the same.

The worst part, though, is Haruko. In the original, and even in Prog, Haruko's the wildcard. She's fundamentally dangerous, someone with her own agenda that only overlaps with the heroes by coincidence. Her doing weird, dangerous things is just an extension of who she is, someone who draws people in like moths to a flame.

In Alt, she's not that. She's safe, the wacky sitcom friend who wants to stop the badguys. And a safe Haruko is worse than worthless.

No shifting artstyles, no real arc for the lead, and no Haruko worthy of the name means that FLCL alternative has no fooley and no cooley, and who the gently caress wants that?

And my worst show of the year (that I watched) is....

Number One: Gundam Build Divers

Where FLCL Alternative and Darling in the FranXX pissed me off, Build Divers just bored me. It's the show I quit, after six episodes of refusing to engage with its core premise, and I didn't regret it for a moment.

After watching a shitton of Gundam, I'm used to the protagonists being established pretty fast. Domon tears up his passport in front of Rain, but he also jumps in front of machinegunfire to save a guy who gave him nothing but grief, so you know he's an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold (and a total badass). Amuro is working on a robot in his underware while evacuation sirens roar, so you know he's a socially awkward nerd. Mikazuki waits until episode 3 for the real attention getter, but when you see your protagonist executing zip tied prisoners without blinking, you know his deal. And Kamille is a MAN'S name.

After six episodes, I can tell you nothing about Riku. He... likes Gundam? Is good at VRMMOs, maybe? There's really nothing to him.

Worse, the show sold itself on cool large scale team battles, where both sides have to constantly adapt to the changing circumstances. Guess how often this happens in the show.

If you said "Almost never", you'd be right!

The other two shows are here on wasted potential, on failing to live up to the classics they tried to emulate or their own best moments. (Oddly enough, they both were failing to be Diebuster, even the one failing to be FLCL at the same time.) Build divers just shits the bed on its own.

Seriously, being for kids is no excuse for this one.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 6, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Endorph posted:

there was a canonical lesbian couple at the end my dude

franxx still has some dumb ideas about sexuality and gender but its not that kind of awful

I'm actually glad to hear this (still don't plan on watching it tho)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Worst where I managed 3 episodes:

Amanchu! Advance - Where the first season was charming, this one just got weird. It felt like it was trying to ape the supernatural-ish parts of ARIA without understanding why they were good, and overall the story just lost itself. I dropped this a few episodes before the end, feeling absolutely no need to finish it.
Violet Evergarden - Could not connect with the characters at all, and the writing was so slow and meandering.
Mirai no Mirai - This movie felt like a series of disconnected episodes that never got properly tied together. Massive disappointment.

Avoided poo poo:

Goblin Slayer - :tvtropes:
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord - The Japanese title literally has "slave magic" in it.
Grand Blue - Watched the first episode and felt absolutely disgusted. I do not like the kind of social relationships portrayed in there at all, so dropped hard.

More bad/avoided poo poo:
Alice or Alice: Siscon Niisan to Futago no Imouto - Disgusting
Beatless - Dumb characters and uninspired setting
One Room 2nd Season - First season made my most avoided list before
Teasing Master Takagi - Watched a few minutes of first ep and felt extremely uncomfortable
The Ryuo's Work is Never Done! - Tasteless
UzaMaid! - :tvtropes:
Between the Sky and Sea
Happy Sugar Life
Magical Girl Site

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 29, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what's takagi's crime

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Motto posted:

what's takagi's crime

I extremely dislike bullying, see also that arc in March Lion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

is it bullying if hes into it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god the bullying arc in march lion is so good and hard to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nielsm posted:

but your avatar