Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Worst:

Cutie Honey Universe: This was...really scattered. Despite having promising staff and some really interesting visual/stylistic ideas, there was massive tonal inconsistency between the more serious/psychosexual aspects of the series while it also included some Go Nagai gags that I can only assume didn't see any updating in the forty-odd years since they were first written. Early signs that it may have been subverting some of the worst aspects of the manga (killing all lesbians) eventually turned up empty and I dropped out when they did, in fact, kill all the lesbians. The central conceit of Panther Jill seeming to play both sides in the conflict between Panther Claw and Honey was also confusingly conveyed, and likely culminated in some late-game reveal that would've clarified it...but I couldn't hang on that long.

Double Decker! Doug & Kirill: Another disappointing show, though not outright bad. This really doesn't continue the "legacy" of Tiger & Bunny for me at all. At half the length, it's naturally more limited in the scope it can handle and the number of characters it can effectively explore. Instead of taking the limitation of a single cour and putting it to use on light episodic adventures that would slowly build the cast up, there are scattershot focus episodes for a few characters, while a majority of the focus is spent on ridiculous foreshadowing so all the plot threads can converge in a multi-episode finale plotline about genetically modified soldiers from space yadda yadda yadda. The presence of a narrator allows for a consistent thread of metagags, to mixed success. As the series went on and got further into this stupid conspiracy plot I couldn't help but feel like all the self-awareness put into these gags was more and more a case of trying to have a cake and eat it too, and it honestly annoyed me. This sense of humor that frequently blew off the need for certain world or character details as "unnecessary" also gave me a bad taste when it came to the series' handful of LGBT characters. Kirill's crossdressing brother is used as a cliffhanger gag and then never really explained aside from a vague mention of him having lived as a woman for nearly a decade out of "necessity," conversely minute details like someone leaving a room covered in coffee is vital foreshadowing to let us know that no, actually, they didn't fridge the lesbian robot, you just had to wait a few episodes for the detail to come to fruition! I did enjoy all these characters but felt like they deserved a much better show to exist in.

Gundam Build Divers: I peaced out of this just over 1/4-1/3 through so my hate for it doesn't burn as hot, but it really is just fully a turd. While GBF Try was its own brand of awful, it was still in a similar mold to the first, good GBF series and focused on gunpla building/fighting as competitive sports. Divers eschews all this to bite the VRMMO trend and comes out worse for it. The game's systems are ill-defined and result in fairly boring conflicts, though this is to be expected when your leads are two of the blandest boys to exist. A slew of interesting characters that are relatively on par with the good characters in GBF fill in the secondary cast and never really shine, and this includes basically all of the female characters.

Avoided:

Banana Fish: The manga was set in the 80's and I was honestly looking forward to some period anime, including an 80's style soundtrack. When it was revealed that they were updating the story to present times, my interest was pretty much shot and I never ended up getting past the first episode of this. Their sort-of halfhearted updating seems to have created a slew of weird one-off lines/scenes here and there rather than drastically impacting the quality, but I just can't get down with the show. I'll get around to the manga sometime instead.

Hakumei & Mikochi: I was on the fence about this one since it's a TV adaptation of a highly-detailed manga, already a bad sign. Turns out this show has some of the worst official subtitles in recent memory, so it got added to my pile of stuff to read instead of watch.

Late Night! Genius Bakabon: I haven't heard much about this show to know if my impression is justified, but this came on the heels of the stinker that was Osomatsu S2 and seemed to be trying to still capitalize on the waning popularity of Osomatsu by adapting another Fujio Akatsuka comedy in a similar visual style. Having disliked Osomatsu S2, this was an easy one to write off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have no problem throwing even a good production under the bus if it fumbles things badly or often enough. exactly what Darlifra did.

there's no need to keep fracturing the end of year stuff into more threads or splitting things beyond bad/disappointing and avoided imo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nobody watched s2 so we can't talk about the tired OL it introduced

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AsagiKurosagi/status/1050048348286152705?s=19

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's literally no winning in this thread

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the music for the anime is also awful

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i won't listen to 30mn of music to confirm but it could be that the really awful horn stuff wasn't part of the actual soundtrack and just used for effect

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Not that weird. That just means it doesn't even have trainwreck value.

yeesh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

slime became noteworthy for the same reason as danmachi: it's an upbeat show with a protagonist who earnestly helps others, in a genre where it's incredibly common to have self-important/misanthropic protagonists played straight.

stuff like konosuba and re:zero putting their own twists on the kinda lovely isekai protagonist also help them stand out imo, and this is before accounting for the bright spots in the productions of all four shows.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i remember the animated intro for it being kinda cool too

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it mostly stumbled around slowly trickling out the lovely gender ideas in a way that made you think they might meaningfully address them further down the road when the kids rebel from their lovely society or whatever. more of a death by a thousand cuts, since that stuff either didn't come to pass or was offscreened between the series "end" and epilogue thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mostly i just remember the boys vs girls episode being a standout, and zorome/miku being the best pair. there was plenty of interesting stuff to explore with the gays but ikuno gets sidelined and mitsuru never really explores his feelings for hiro, then slots into the "gosh i really want to engage in heteronormativity" plotline.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ikuno is cool, she just... was done dirty by the show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well unlike fairy tail, black clover is good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

inject some naboruto fight animation into your eyes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/168964946439307264/531575706799439872/sarada.webm

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

goblin slayer just gets the honor because it had the some of the worst discussion that has ever occurred on these forums

backstreet girls was largely irrelevant here due to circumstances of its release

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why are you so awful at this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean it probably helps to use words for their actual definitions especially when trying to discuss things with other people, but sure

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it is weird to me how ryo mizuno has avoided this spiteful isekai classification despite just basing his series on tabletop games

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

5) Lupin the Third Part 5 - It's a bummer that I'm putting this here and I kept thinking whether I even want to put it here, but I can't argue with facts and the facts are, I'm a huge Lupin fan and I never finished watching this show. I loved the standalone episodes, the ones I saw are fine callbacks to an era of Lupin that hasn't been represented in awhile and they do a fantastic job with the execution as well (the pink jacket homage in particular goes for a certain kind of wacky camp that's tough to pull off sincerely in a modern context), so it's not just coasting by on nostalgia. Unfortunately the serialized nature of the rest of the show just took its toll on me. The villains and overarching story were in that awkward position of not being bad enough or good enough, and much of the high tech element of the show just came across as a misguided attempt to appear relevant in a very modern sense. It also just didn't look as nice as the previous tv series, which is a shame. By no means bad but it's a mild step down. There's plenty of variation to how Lupin has been handled over the decades so I'm perfectly fine with just not being into a modern entry. I know the increased serialization in Part 5 was enjoyed by many and more power to them, I say. It's just not an element I was into. But hell, I'll probably finish it at some point in the future. Lord knows I've watched way worse Lupin; even as one of the weakest Lupin entries in the 2010s it's still far above the average quality of Lupin anime in the 90s and the 00s.

i've been seen

srice did you happen to check out the anniversary special? not great by any means but i thought it was a cute way to do that sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

I haven't! That's something I'll try to hit up when I get the chance since I forgot all about it coming out.

up until the ending i really enjoyed it, and it could've been a backdoor pilot into a weird part 6. but it's probably easier to imagine something cool like that than have it executed, similar to part 5.