Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kind of proud to be the only Jashin-chan vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The 2018 ADTRW AOTY chart, with my annotations!

The top 15, with my rescaled scores (higher = more well liked)

15. Asobi Asobase - 1.86666667
14. Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues - 1.86666667
13. Cells at Work! - 2.20000000
12. Planet With - 2.66666667
11. Megalobox - 2.73333333
10. Bloom Into You - 2.80000000
9. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - 2.93333333
8. Pop Team Epic - 3.93333333
7. Zombieland Saga - 4.46666667
6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season - 5.26666667
5. Hinamatsuri - 5.60000000
4. Devilman Crybaby - 6.26666667
3. Yuru Camp - 6.73333333
2. SSSS.Gridman - 8.30000000
1. A Place Further Than The Universe - 14.23333333

EDIT: I should probably check out March Comes In Like a Lion, eh

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 15, 2019

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There's me!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gridman and A Place Further than the Universe as the top 2. As it should be.

Also, man. looks like I'm second only to Snooze in Trigger Corner depth.

Pretty far from the main clusters, but it's not outright lonely.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lol I can't find me. Cool tho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm assuming i'm in the clusterfuck between comedy and oldsters

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Fitting that A Place Further than the Universe is literally off the charts.

Also

an actual dog posted:

Lol I can't find me. Cool tho

You're probably one off those black specs underneath the cluster of red in the middle.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm right next to Hitlersaurus, DaVincie, Mulderman, Captain Baal, Ibram Gaunt, Dogsickle and super, super far away from Colonel.

What does that make me?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 15, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i'm assuming i'm in the clusterfuck between comedy and oldsters

Yes, you are underneath hitlersaurus, right above grouchio

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Right in the comedy/comfy zone, just where I expected to be!

Sorry to the person I’m directly overlapping though, can’t read your name :shobon:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Anyway, for a quick comparison between unweighted and weighted:

dogsicle posted:

I didn't put in the vote weights at time of first recording the votes, so I'm working on that but in the meantime the unweighted top 10 is:

10. Megalobox with 13 votes

9. Bloom Into You with 15 votes

8. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai with 18 votes

7. Pop Team Epic with 19 votes

6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season with 21 votes

5. Zombieland Saga with 23 votes

4. Hinamatsuri & Devilman Crybaby both with 26 votes

3. Yuru Camp with 33 votes

2. SSSS.Gridman with 37 votes

1. A Place Further Than The Universe with 52 votes

Weighted Top 10 is:

10. Megalobox (no change)

9. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai (down from 8th)

8. Pop Team Epic (down from 7th)

7. Zombieland Saga (down from 5th)

6. March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season (no change)

5. Devilman Crybaby (no longer tied for 4th)

4. Hinamatsuri (no longer tied for 4th)

3. Yuru Camp (no change)

2. SSSS.Gridman (no change)

1. A Place Further Than The Universe (no change)

Both unweighted and weighted tallies are now in the spreadsheet if you'd like a full breakdown. Despite the weighted shake-ups, the 4-6 spots are hotly contested and same for 9 & 10.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently I'm an oldie.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Happy to be in the Yuri Zone, ty Fangz

Congrats to March Lion for being the 6th best show of the year

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Smack bang between Yurizone, Drama and Trigger. Nice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm a little surprised I'm so deep in Trigger territory, lol. Thought I'd be more in Yuri/Comfy territory. Neat.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Thanks for the neat chart! I feel like I'm right next to Nate RFB every single year on these things.

Expect My Mom posted:

Congrats to March Lion for being the 6th best show of the year

Me, thinkin' about all the people who would have put March Lion on their list if only they had watched it:

https://i.imgur.com/zdtIz74.gifv

Although fair is fair, I really need to finish Gridman and Bloom Into You.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't mind me...out in the comfy/drama corner...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mentat Radnor posted:

Me, thinkin' about all the people who would have put March Lion on their list if only they had watched it:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m halfway through Hinamatsuri. Can the show just be about Anzu? And Nitta? And Hitomi? Anyone but Hina.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I’m halfway through Hinamatsuri. Can the show just be about Anzu? And Nitta? And Hitomi? Anyone but Hina.

Hina does her best.

Occasionally.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hina is the best character in hinamatsuri besides possibly Nitta :c00lbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm smack in the middle

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nanigans posted:

See, after reading the manga to date, seeing things like this make me sad, because manga Hina is amazing. Especially post timeskip, but even before then, she has a ton of great bits where her complete lack of fucks given can come into play.

Unfortunately, most of the best Hina stories were cut from the anime (as were the best Hitomi scenes, but Hitomi pretty much just has best scenes, so you notice less.) Which basically means I get why you don't like Hina, but Hina is great, and it's a shame the reasons Hina is great mostly aren't in the anime.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

Unfortunately, most of the best Hina stories were cut from the anime (as were the best Hitomi scenes, but Hitomi pretty much just has best scenes, so you notice less.) Which basically means I get why you don't like Hina, but Hina is great, and it's a shame the reasons Hina is great mostly aren't in the anime.

rip actress arc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyone but mao

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
How did I get so close to other people by voting for one show that no one else did

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

perhaps a single unweighted vote results in being buffeted by all the other, longer lists

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chiasaur11 posted:

See, after reading the manga to date, seeing things like this make me sad, because manga Hina is amazing. Especially post timeskip, but even before then, she has a ton of great bits where her complete lack of fucks given can come into play.

Hina is the best worst person.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

How did I get so close to other people by voting for one show that no one else did

Long story short Idolish7 has to go somewhere on the map as a vector, and it being your only choice it got counted as a first place, putting you farther out along its axis. The others are all stuck between their favorites that where those vector sums just happen to land near you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is neat! :dance:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Strange Quark posted:

The short version is that the Biplot is a 2D representation that just best preserved the variability in the dataset, so you have to go somewhere, even if it doesn't make total sense. In your case, note that *not listing* any of the more popular shows is interpreted as a choice, so you are grouped together with a bunch of other people who only gave one pick and it was a pick no one else chose. E.g. Namtab and Ibraham Gaunt with Slow Start and Killing Bites.

In an earlier version I had you guys listed as the bad taste zone but I thought maybe that was too mean

The thing I find most interesting is the idea that Devilman is kinda the opposite of Yorimoi - in that folks seem to like either but not both, which I wonder if it's a matter of timing, or perhaps theme.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 15, 2019

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

i've no doubt, i think the first season was my aoty. unfortunately i was watching it with a couple friends, and since i had so much going on this year i never really had time to watch anime with those friends so it sort of fell by the wayside.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

personally, devilman being an all at once release meant i could definitely finish it versus enjoying yorimoi but falling off because seasonal anime is hard

but mine is probably a niche case

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fangz posted:

The thing I find most interesting is the idea that Devilman is kinda the opposite of Yorimoi - in that folks seem to like either but not both, which I wonder if it's a matter of timing, or perhaps theme.

oh that explains why i'm so close to the middle. i didn't realize ranking them 1 and 2 would mark me as such an oddity lol

they really were the best of the year imo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

personally, devilman being an all at once release meant i could definitely finish it versus enjoying yorimoi but falling off because seasonal anime is hard

Not quite since I marathoned the show thanks to Netflix. Went up to Episode 8 and peaced the gently caress out. I knew the rest.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Not quite since I marathoned the show thanks to Netflix. Went up to Episode 8 and peaced the gently caress out. I knew the rest.

You missed the best part.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

You missed the best part.
If it's the end of 9 i've seen the clip. If it's the entirety of 10 then yeah.

Trump's Tweets, the Hawaii test scare and nuclear tensions with Kim did NOT help things.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think listing Sick Smokin Style Gridman last on my list literally dragged me out of comedy into the ??? Zone.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i feel like i'd have a more even opinion on it if i didn't excitedly binge it at 3am the night it came out but yuasa devilman is maybe the one type of seasonal anime i could finish lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just always spin too many plates when it comes to seasonal anime and don't have any real reminder system or calendar so i miss new episodes and lost my place etc

then I'm in a weird limbo where i feel like i watched enough of a show recently enough that i should be able to resume but also uncertain if i should rewatch up to that point to be sure I'm getting a real grip on the show