Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Okay I give up, there's no way I'm finishing Steins;Gate 0 in time and it probably wouldn't rank even if I did.

5. FLCL Alternative
I don't see it on the list but it quacks like a duck so whatever. After the shitshow that was Progressive I was willing to throw in the towel and admit that the new seasons were a mistake, but Alternative quickly changed my mind. By focusing on capturing the more subdued atmosphere of FLCL and using its wackiness as a spice like the original did, it made a much better and more coherent show than I expected to be possible. It's far and away the weakest part of the Fraternity Saga (i don't feel good about even counting Progressive) but I feel like it does belong there. It at least passed that bar and that's commendable to me. I genuinely had a great time with this anime.

4. Megalobox
I have not seen Ashita no Joe and frankly I'm not sure I ever will. It's just too long and too dated to keep my interest. Megalobox managed to bring me the same feelings I'd likely have had from watching Joe in a much shorter format and with some modern touches. I'm not saying it's a replacement, but it did make something older more accessible and I really appreciate that. The downscaling-upscaling genuinely didn't bother me as much as it seems to have bothered some people, and I actually kinda liked the 90s graininess that it gave the show, although that could just be my 90s nostalgia showing since I am pretty bad about that. I really liked the idea of taking such a clear and simple story and just telling it really well and looking really good doing it. That's all I could ask.

3. Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
I never would have expected I'd actually watch a Sword Art series all the way through, much less put it on my top 5 of the year, but here we are. Gun Gals was just really loving fun, and I loved the way it dunked on original SAO at times. The whole plot seemed to be "hey death games are stupid, stop doing them" and that was nice. Also LLENN is just really good and fun to watch. Hell yea, bite her throat out!

2. A Place Further Than The Universe
It's really hard to talk about this at this point in the year, having been like 8 or 9 months since I watched the show at all. I just remember a few extremely strong moments and the feeling of never being bored with the show in the time between those moments. It was a really good show that I think is the most representative of quality anime that 2018 had. It's the one I feel most strongly about recommending to others.

1. Devilman Crybaby
I've had a year to chew on this, and I've come to the opinion that Crybaby is not only my AOTY but my favorite anime ever. I recognize this sounds hyperbolic, but it appealed to me on a very personal level and helped me deal with a lot of identity issues through its allegorical queerness. I've seen some people complain about the ending, and yes it was pretty dark and depressing, but I read into it a degree of hopefulness for the future that I guess not everyone agrees was there. In this way I think the show is actually pretty appropriate to the zeitgeist: Good and kind people may not always win out over evil and cruel people, but resisting was never a waste and hope survives on. This is the one anime this year I just keep thinking about. It's not something I can recommend to just anyone, but it was the most important thing I saw this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mentat Radnor posted:

Me, thinkin' about all the people who would have put March Lion on their list if only they had watched it:

https://i.imgur.com/zdtIz74.gifv

i've no doubt, i think the first season was my aoty. unfortunately i was watching it with a couple friends, and since i had so much going on this year i never really had time to watch anime with those friends so it sort of fell by the wayside.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fangz posted:

The thing I find most interesting is the idea that Devilman is kinda the opposite of Yorimoi - in that folks seem to like either but not both, which I wonder if it's a matter of timing, or perhaps theme.

oh that explains why i'm so close to the middle. i didn't realize ranking them 1 and 2 would mark me as such an oddity lol

they really were the best of the year imo