Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Animation! The illusion of life. The very concept of motion pictures taken to their logical extreme. A cool and unique medium of artistic presentation that is isn't just for kids, mom.

Anyway, if you like animated movies, this is the place to talk about it! A couple neat ones came out in 2018, including the fantastic Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Which has its own thread), the pretty decent Incredibles 2, the very Wes Anderson Isle of Dogs, and many others. 2019 also has a few interesting movies lined up, including The Lego Movie 2, which looks rad, The Lion King, which is still technically animated and don't let Disney's marketing convince you otherwise, Toy Story 4, which looks... profitable, and Angry Birds 2 which looks... there's no trailer yet but why did that movie even get a sequel

Other animated films coming out this year include: Abominable (Dreamworks), The Addams Family, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Dreamworks), Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie (Aardman Animations), Frozen 2 (Disney, and could probably be a motionless image of Elsa for 2 hours and still make another billion dollars), and The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Illumination). (I'll probably add more trailers here as they're released, but don't quote me on that.)

In short, if you're looking for somewhere to complain about all those Disney live-action remakes, you've come to the right place. If you're looking for past animation threads to relive the excitement around the release of seminal classics Minions and Sausage Party, you can find the 2017/18 thread here, the 2016 thread here, 2015 here, 2014 here, and other past threads somewhere in the archives. Now have at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm screaming already

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s an Addams Family film coming?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The_Doctor posted:

There’s an Addams Family film coming?

Sure is! Not much has been released other than a promo image, though:

E: Also the voice cast:

quote:

Oscar Isaac as Gomez Addams
Charlize Theron as Morticia Addams
Chloë Grace Moretz as Wednesday Addams
Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley Addams
Nick Kroll as Uncle Fester
Bette Midler as Grandmama
Allison Janney as Margaux Needler
Elsie Fisher as Parker Needler
Aimee Garcia as Denise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Elsa gonna kiss a girl this year

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Macaluso posted:

Is Elsa gonna kiss a girl this year

Don't be daft.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Live action Disney remakes are universally trash.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-C1ys02wlU
Screw Lego Movie 2 I got the playmobil movie coming.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The animation in that looks surprisingly good?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senior Scarybagels posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-C1ys02wlU
Screw Lego Movie 2 I got the playmobil movie coming.

Oh hey, I remember having that blue and orange robot. And surely that's not Chris Pratt in there?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hey, I remember having that blue and orange robot. And surely that's not Chris Pratt in there?

It's Jim Gaffigan

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just thought I'd let you know I got some more of those Twisted/Villain's Tales books for Christmas(Reflection, the Mulan AU was the former). Read Poor Unfortunate Souls, wasn't as good as Reflection but had it's moments.

I thought that aspects of it were neat because it tied a lot of the characters into other stories, like the Odd Sisters (three witches) had an estranged sister Circe who's heart was broken by Prince Adam, so one of her sisters cursed him with the beast form after he was also an an rear end to her - there was a neat aspect to it where Circe was the only one of the sisters who physically have a heart, and one filled with love as opposed to the others who only knew hatred - however when Circe learned to hate, it was after her sister cursed her ex, and aimed at them. Something they were not emotionally equipped to deal with. She left them forever, and they spent years in mourning for their sibling, who was the only person in the world they actually cared about.
Something I don't like with it though was the ending takes Prince Eric's agency away - the reason he succeeds in killing Ursula is the Odd Sisters are manipulating him as revenge after finding out how Ursula betrayed them.

I've got a box-set of the remaining 3 twisted tales as well, so I'll be reading Whole New World at work today.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 27, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna watch the Addams Family movie and if at any moment I can even ponder that the Addams have anything but deep and unconditional love for each other stuido executives start dying, you hear me coppers?!?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Same. The two live action movies are amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can only read Prince Adam as He-man and that sounds like a much better movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can only read Prince Adam as He-man and that sounds like a much better movie.

Adam is the generally accepted name for the Beast, I don't know where it came from as it's not mentioned in any canon materials, unless it was a backstage thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Adam is the generally accepted name for the Beast, I don't know where it came from as it's not mentioned in any canon materials, unless it was a backstage thing.

It's also the same almost never used name for Frankenstein's Monster.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

Apparently it was basically a placeholder name during production - some of the voice actors and merchandisers ran with it, while Disney officially has a stance of 'that's not his name'.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

Live action Disney remakes are universally trash.
Ironically the best part of Return of Mary Poppins is how good a job they do of recreating Silver Age Disney Animation.

Return is also a million times better than the rest of the live action Disney films at least for how vibrant it is, having fun muscle numbers, and the good costume design.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Barudak posted:

Im gonna watch the Addams Family movie and if at any moment I can even ponder that the Addams have anything but deep and unconditional love for each other stuido executives start dying, you hear me coppers?!?

Seriously. The Addams Family has the most wholesome, healthy family dynamic to ever appear on television. They love and support each other. Even when they disagree, they do it with care and respect. The only other family that comes close is the Huxtables from the Cosby show, but, uh, that's a bit tainted nowadays.

I've posted it before, but I have literally asked myself "What would Gomez do?" when trying to sort out a tough familial situation.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sure is! Not much has been released other than a promo image, though:

E: Also the voice cast:

Oscar Isaac would have been a fun live action Gomez.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vandar posted:

Oscar Isaac would have been a fun live action Gomez.

Wait about 10 years for the live-action remake.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ironically the best part of Return of Mary Poppins is how good a job they do of recreating Silver Age Disney Animation.

Return is also a million times better than the rest of the live action Disney films at least for how vibrant it is, having fun muscle numbers, and the good costume design.

I'm curious if the Magic Nannies know each other. It would be fun to have Mary Poppins come to the aid of a family expecting to fix the parents as his her usual MO, only to find the kids are just as bad. "I need backup here... *pulls out phone from carpet bag* The person I need, is Nanny McPhee..."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's amazing just how loving awful the costumes are in the live action remakes, you would think experienced costumers and a huge budget would give good clothes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife and I dragged my mom to Spiderverse and she liked it a lot. Then, when she was talking on the phone with her friends, she said it was ok.

When questioned, she tells me that ok and good are synonyms. She has been beaten down by life enough that it's believable she is incapable of expressing strong positive emotion.
I

I still think she didn't want her friends to think she was lame, even though one of them saw Aquaman.

Mostly I wanted to post on the first page of one of these threads.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe she just wasn't.......................... into the Spider-verse

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Whatever happened to that Popeye movie?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Whatever happened to that Popeye movie?

Cancelled, and Genndy Tartakovsky is no longer working at Sony.

-Edit however if you want the finest quality animation there is a new Popeye series on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCt7Wi04SI

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 28, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

It's amazing just how loving awful the costumes are in the live action remakes, you would think experienced costumers and a huge budget would give good clothes.

In the live action Addams Family movies? What makes you say that?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The_Doctor posted:

In the live action Addams Family movies? What makes you say that?

I was more preferring to the Disney remakes.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

I still think she didn't want her friends to think she was lame, even though one of them saw Aquaman.
I mean, Aquaman was okay... a storm of cliches with bad pacing and quite possibly the bassiest audio track I've heard in a long time, but I'm okay with that kind of kitsch. Wonder Woman was the better DCEU film, and Into the Spider-verse is on a whole different level altogether, but I didn't particularly regret seeing it.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Robindaybird posted:

The costumes in Cinderella are good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGGbT5HGxY

Augh! Look at that! That's such an amazing dress, and the extras look amazing too!

Beats me why Cinderella has bomb rear end costuming but everything else sucks rear end

I mean, come on.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I’m guessing because it didn’t require extensive CGI character work that ate up its budget. But that’s just a guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Complaints about the live-action Beauty and the Beast are always hilarious because the 1991 movie itself travestied the 1946 version.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I guess I hated everything else in the BatB remake too much to notice that the yellow dress is actually an oversized chocolate wrapper.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Complaints about the live-action Beauty and the Beast are always hilarious because the 1991 movie itself travestied the 1946 version.
The Cocteau version blew my mind so hard that I almost never think of the Disney one anymore, and I really like the Disney one. That’s how good it is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's even a part where it predicts complaints about the animated movie. When the Beast transforms into a human, he asks Belle if she preferred him ugly than as a handsome prince.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

The costumes in Cinderella are good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGGbT5HGxY

Augh! Look at that! That's such an amazing dress, and the extras look amazing too!

Beats me why Cinderella has bomb rear end costuming but everything else sucks rear end

I mean, come on.

Cinderella had Sandy Powell as costume designer, who's worked with Julie Taymor on her operas and on a lot of really great costume movies (she basically singlehandedly won Shakespeare in Love its Oscar). Beauty and the Beast had Jacqueline Durran, whose most famous costume work would probably be on Pan.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I saw the spider man. It’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Speaking of Pan, I remember it had one of the laziest “prequel” details I’ve ever seen, as they establish that pre-baddie Captain Hook just literally has the last name of “Hook.”

When I learned that I kept waiting for the moment where he would lose his hand, replace it with a hook and say something like “seems fitting, doesn’t it.” But nothing like that ever even happened. What a waste of film that movie was.