Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
people who do things that are wrong should never be allowed to do anything ever again, especially the things that they're good at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ungulateman posted:

people who do things that are wrong should never be allowed to do anything ever again, especially the things that they're good at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ungulateman posted:

I struggle with this concept too, but let him drive a bus or something useful like that. I doubt he's irreplaceable at the "millions per year" level. Let someone else have a crack at that.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ungulateman posted:

It's been one year

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fawf posted:

It's been one year

No you don't understand, the struggle of rich white men is already too much to bear. :shepface:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When you're a boss creating a safe work environment is literally your job, if it were any other industry and he were endangering his employees in any other way there would be zero hand-wringing about giving him second chances or paying his dues or whatever.

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1083173349285642241

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

starkebn posted:

I struggle with this concept too, but let him drive a bus or something useful like that. I doubt he's irreplaceable at the "millions per year" level. Let someone else have a crack at that.

ok i didn't realise this was both A: only one year later and B: basically the same degree of responsibility as he had previously. i think the chances that he's actually become a better human being are still non-zero but this is probably giving him too much leeway

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Has anyone talked about Mary Poppins Returns yet? The ~15 minute hand drawn animated sequence in the middle was the best part of the movie. I was shedding tears in the theatre from the pure joy of it. As good a case as any for Disney to not abandon hand drawn animation yet.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ungulateman posted:

ok i didn't realise this was both A: only one year later and B: basically the same degree of responsibility as he had previously. i think the chances that he's actually become a better human being are still non-zero but this is probably giving him too much leeway

Also I wonder how well Lasseter's work will be without someone he can swipe ideas from, given his baby Cars wasn't actually his to begin with.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Almost Blue posted:

Gross, John Lasseter got hired by Skydance (the company that co-produces the Mission Impossibles) to head their animation department:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/john-lasseter-skydance-animation-hire-fomer-pixar-founder-1202532167/

lol disney better send them some loving roses and poo poo because they were totally gonna bring him back because of how much money they think he's worth and now they can't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ungulateman posted:

we got the lego batman movie something like half a year after the us (to match with our school holidays, i think) and it broke piracy records on an unprecedented scale, so companies are thinking this through a little more

I'm not surprised the shoe's on the other foot at this point especially with such an anticipated movie, and extra especially with a kids' movie. Kids are the biggest and most shameless pirates and always on the cutting edge. Even when I lived in bumfuck nowhere with dial-up or lovely wireless we shared SD card adaptors for the DS and emulator sites.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That's why Cartoon Network was one of the first networks to go whole hog on focusing on their app, people were giving them poo poo for letting the actual broadcast channel become a dumping ground of reruns of Teen Titans GO but they were just ahead of the curve of noticing that hardly any kids actually watch live TV anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The scheduling of Steven Universe is still nonsensical though. Either they're trying to kill the show or trying to stretch it out for years and badly aping Disney's Gravity Falls scheduling voodoo.

HTTYD3 was alright. Feels again like they're trying to cram way too much into one movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At least Gravity Falls was good for all that waiting. I've been watching Steven Universe since around a year after it came out, and the show has been disappointing since they solved the whole cluster thing in one episode.

EDIT: That's to say if the show is good, like Gravity Falls was, it can be worth the wait. GF was great the whole way through, straight up through to the final episode. Steven Universe is like watching filler episodes of anime, and you have to wait months between episodes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hmm counterpoint Steven Universe is still good

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Steven Universe was kind of frustrating for me until I realized I was waiting for a catharsis that was never going to come. It’s a show that’s almost exclusively about peacefully de-escalating situations through empathy, communication, and compassion. There aren’t really any traditionally satisfying climaxes, really.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I've never seen SU, but Paranorman had a very empathetic de-escalation and resolution that still felt dramatic and cathartic.

Edit: not really sure what I'm responding to or why, I guess I just want to say that Paranorman is a very good movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The scheduling of Steven Universe is still nonsensical though. Either they're trying to kill the show or trying to stretch it out for years and badly aping Disney's Gravity Falls scheduling voodoo.

HTTYD3 was alright. Feels again like they're trying to cram way too much into one movie.

"A girlfriend for Toothless" [Trailer spoiler if anyone is that sensitive] seems like the most boring, cliche sequel subplot they could go with. Bad guy also seems like kind of a rehash of the second movie, but maybe I'll be wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A good sequel is an exact rehash of the previous film but with more poo poo crowding the frame.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

General Dog posted:

"A girlfriend for Toothless" [Trailer spoiler if anyone is that sensitive] seems like the most boring, cliche sequel subplot they could go with. Bad guy also seems like kind of a rehash of the second movie, but maybe I'll be wrong.

Toothcup is the best crack ship, and clearly the direction the 3rd film should have gone in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IUG posted:

At least Gravity Falls was good for all that waiting. I've been watching Steven Universe since around a year after it came out, and the show has been disappointing since they solved the whole cluster thing in one episode.

EDIT: That's to say if the show is good, like Gravity Falls was, it can be worth the wait. GF was great the whole way through, straight up through to the final episode. Steven Universe is like watching filler episodes of anime, and you have to wait months between episodes.

With how Hirsch spent the time between Gravity Falls ending and him being picked up with Netflix just making and more elaborate shout outs and teases and generally engaging with fans I'm really glad that the show got to end when it did because if it didn't I could very easily see GF similarly becoming de-escalated and drawn out and smoothed over into a continuous trough of comfort food, I just don't think that that animation pipeline combined with the headspace most of these creators live in are conductive in the long term because of the feedback loop it creates.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Steven universe is not in some kind of comfort food feedback loop from fan input.

The episode that just came out? Theres pretty evidence that it was finished and ready to put out two years ago.

And things like the clusters resolution was fine. I'm fine with the resolution being to reason with an entity made of a billion fragmented inhuman minds. not many shows get beyond essentiallizing nonhuman as evil. Not sure what people wanted there, some kind of big laser battle from a marvel movie?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Steven universe ... The episode that just came out? Theres pretty evidence that it was finished and ready to put out two years ago.

Is this being discussed in the SU thread? I don't want to derail this thread when it has its own topic, but I want to know more about this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

IUG posted:

Is this being discussed in the SU thread? I don't want to derail this thread when it has its own topic, but I want to know more about this.

This is never not being discussed in the SU thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The episode that just came out? Theres pretty evidence that it was finished and ready to put out two years ago.

Eh close: it's more that "There's plenty of evidence that it was fully written a year and a half ago, and ready to put out nearly a year ago". Your overall point still stands though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Steven universe is not in some kind of comfort food feedback loop from fan input.

And things like the clusters resolution was fine. I'm fine with the resolution being to reason with an entity made of a billion fragmented inhuman minds. not many shows get beyond essentiallizing nonhuman as evil. Not sure what people wanted there, some kind of big laser battle from a marvel movie?

Cartoon Network is sitting on like a years worth of episodes for reasons that no one (including people making the show) understand. The way they pace out the show is terrible. I mean, the way they pace ALL their shows is terrible, but it's more noticeable and damaging to a narrative driven show like Steven Universe.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The evidence is that the art for the crewniverse zine from this tweet depicts a scene very specific to the current episode. But it's from sept 2017. but by now it gets posted and it's like "yeah, whatever".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The evidence is that the art for the crewniverse zine from this tweet depicts a scene very specific to the current episode. But it's from sept 2017. but by now it gets posted and it's like "yeah, whatever".

From a MelonSteven point of view, are all their plant clothes the equivalent of leather?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1083434246503489536

:catstare:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Relevant to the topic: literally the only SU episodes copyrighted 2018 so far are Reunited, Familiar, Together Alone, and Escapism.

On the opposite side of things, I think the part of SU that aired the closest to completion were the season 4 eps from 2016: Gem Harvest and Three Gems and a baby aired exactly when they were intended to (around thanksgiving and on the first week of December before CN's yearly December hiatus), while Kindergarten Kid through Onion Gang perhaps aired too early: Aivi & Surrasshu noted that Onion Gang aired a mere month after it was finished, and that was considered cutting things uncomfortably close given that making the background music tracks is one of the final steps in production.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something else to bear in mind is that some of the stories aren't fully resolved yet, like the Cluster made a (partial) reappearance when the Diamond's arrived on earth and joined Steven in fighting them off which was kind of awesome:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buldx1wFgd0

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
me: *trying to re-watch Boxtrolls* genocide is always wrong, but if it ever weren't wrong, it's that there

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, the Steven Universe release schedule being stretched out hides how bad the pacing is. The story never actually goes anywhere. They want to have these big plot-heavy episodes, but with no actual consequences or changes to the status quo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly, the Steven Universe release schedule being stretched out hides how bad the pacing is. The story never actually goes anywhere. They want to have these big plot-heavy episodes, but with no actual consequences or changes to the status quo.

Considering the current events of the show that's a bold claim to make my friend

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Considering the current events of the show that's a bold claim to make my friend

Yeah, the entire 2nd half of the current season is literally a bunch of consecutive episodes that directly follow the preceding.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

me: *trying to re-watch Boxtrolls* genocide is always wrong, but if it ever weren't wrong, it's that there

Jesus, why the HELL are you trying to rewatch Boxtrolls?

I feel miserable just thinking about rewatching Boxtrolls.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw How to Train Your Dragon 3, it was a decent enough conclusion to the trilogy. Gorgeous to look at of course (the titular hidden world is amazing to see), but curiously light on plot.

My main problem was the villain having absolutely no motivation to speak of whatsoever. Drago in the second movie was at least given something with him having survived a dragon attack as a child. The dude in this was just evil I guess.

The thing with “Toothless has a girlfriend now!” was a bit obnoxious but at least it led to some cutely animated silent comedy scenes.

Sadly nothing further about Gobber being gay after his one line about why he didn’t get married in the second movie (which was made a big deal of at the time but really it’s fuckin nothing, screw representation I suppose).

The ending is a bit of a bummer. Seeing (New) Berk go back to this tiny human-only town was kind of heartbreaking. These movies are already set in a fantasy world, why couldn’t it have continued being a fantasy instead of going the route of “and everything magic leaves your life and vanishes from the world eventually, prepare for disappointment kids” :smith:

At least Toothless and Hiccup see each other again years later :shobon:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 12, 2019

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

It’s how the book series ends, so my guess is they wanted to stay true to that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Klungar posted:

It’s how the book series ends, so my guess is they wanted to stay true to that.

I guessed that and was right on the money, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the final speech was lifted directly from the book too.

I felt it was overstuffed and had too many plots and subplots going on that didn't mesh with each other well, even if it wasn't quite as disjointed as I remember the second movie being. Pretty good scene to scene, but almost got whiplash at times. And I wasn't sure what tone they were going for with a lot of the battle scenes, I think since they're not going full DCAU level plausible deniability then the human vs human fights seem cartoonish where the fights involving dragons are the real spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wait, wasn't the villain of the second movie all, "Rrgh! I'll be back!" and got away? Am I misremembering?