Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the sub has granny goku, the dub has noted serial harasser, homophobe, and pedophile vic migonia as broly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really wish Vic Mignogna stops getting work - his Ed wasn't even that good, and he really does have a long history of creeping on underaged girls at cons and being in general an entitled douchebag when it comes to panels.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only problem with the JP voice cast is that Nozawa voices every generation of the Goku family when she should only be Goku and Goten.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's probably a grandfather-clause thing that Goku has had the same JP voice for 30 years despite them being unsuitable.

Who would be the western equivalent of Norio Wakamoto?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder what the original audiences thought 20 odd years ago when after a time skip Goku shows up for the martial arts tournament as a grown rear end man and still sounds exactly like an old lady trying to sound like a little kid

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's probably a grandfather-clause thing that Goku has had the same JP voice for 30 years despite them being unsuitable.

Who would be the western equivalent of Norio Wakamoto?

Frank Welker as Fred in Scooby Doo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/leeunkrich/status/1086675568894996480

Lee Unkrich is leaving Pixar

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

Frank Welker as Fred in Scooby Doo.

Frank Welker as every dog or dinosaur ever in cartoons

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

It’s seriously impressive the vocal range this dude has. Every time my kids are watching Curious George I’m in awe that the monkey is 60+ years old.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We Hate Movies had a good gag about how you'd get fired from your job if you attempted to print Frank Welker's IMDB page.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Calaveron posted:

Except for the ones voiced by Dee Bradley Baker

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Good on him to leave on his own terms, without becoming a villain like other members of the industry. Hopefully this leads to new voices like Adrian Molina becoming heads and faces of a broken institution, and fixing it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DoctorWhat posted:

the sub has granny goku, the dub has noted serial harasser, homophobe, and pedophile vic migonia as broly

Granny Goku is perfect in every way but didn't the original VA pass away just recently?

e: Nope, false alarm, she's fine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Calaveron posted:

I'm reminded of how no one will ever believe that Steve Blum voiced Guilmon.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how no one will ever believe that Steve Blum voiced Guilmon.

yeeep, given almost every role post Bebop, he'd do a different voice but then the voice direction stops him and go 'no no no, do it it like Spike Spiegel' - giving the guy an undeserved reputation of being a one trick pony.

Guilmon is probably one of the few roles where he got to do something completely different.

('Guilmon likes Peanut Butter' :3: )

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's more like people don't recognize Blum when he's doing a different voice. The man has a lot of range and is in a lot more things than you might expect, but of course Spike is the only one that's recognizably him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Similarly, I find that people are always shocked to learn that John H. Benjamin also voices Jimmy Jr. on Bob's Burgers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Usually if they’re cast in everything under the sun they have pretty good range and you wouldn’t notice it. DiMaggio is default Bender for a lot of people but he’s in loving everything you wouldn’t think of.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
DiMaggio's Bender voice has a bit of range to it too. Bender, Jake, and Zog are all pretty similar while also being pretty distinct.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think Bender and Jake are interesting because both are OBVIOUSLY DiMaggio but I don't ever feel like I'm hearing Bender when Jake is talking and vice versa.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

yeah we were looking at showtimes and saw that and my gf went from somewhat interested to "NOPE nope never seeing this"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Meanwhile, Patrick Warburton has one voice and I love it.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

The Bee posted:

Meanwhile, Patrick Warburton has one voice and I love it.

Keith David, too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been saying it since before Netflix announced they're reviving it. Keith David should be the next Unsolved Mysteries host.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Queen Combat posted:

I haven't seen DBZ in probably a decade+, but if the movie's good I'm willing to hit it up. Same question as above: sub/dub?

As someone that hasn't watched dbz in decade+ as well it owns go see it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Looper posted:

yeah we were looking at showtimes and saw that and my gf went from somewhat interested to "NOPE nope never seeing this"

If it makes you and everyone else feel better: new Broly stuff means that Vic Mignogna's vocal cords are getting loving owned

Dude apparently never learned to scream properly, so every single time he does Broly he fucks up his vocal cords crazy bad

e: I always take joy in thinking about how bad the Broly voice hurts him to do, because he is a piece of goddamned poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S.D. posted:

Keith David, too.

<charismatic chuckle dripping with authority>

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been saying it since before Netflix announced they're reviving it. Keith David should be the next Unsolved Mysteries host.

Just as long as they use the original theme.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

DiMaggio's Bender voice has a bit of range to it too. Bender, Jake, and Zog are all pretty similar while also being pretty distinct.

DiMaggio does a really good Joker.

As in, he's pretty much as good as Mark Hamill who keeps waffling on if he'll play the character again or not.

Edit: Also Nozawa voices Guilmon and his evolved forms (very obvious with Dukemon / Gallantmon) in Digimon Tamers and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9P-eESzJ1c

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 21, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

yeeep, given almost every role post Bebop, he'd do a different voice but then the voice direction stops him and go 'no no no, do it it like Spike Spiegel' - giving the guy an undeserved reputation of being a one trick pony.

Guilmon is probably one of the few roles where he got to do something completely different.

('Guilmon likes Peanut Butter' :3: )

I heard it was always Wolverine. And often overused to the point where a video game cutscene will have Steve Blum interrogating Steve Blum while Steve Blum watches over CCTV.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish I could've seen the Broly movie in Japanese. Every line is basically exposition and it probably would've felt less obnoxious in another language. Watching it in English I was burrowing deeper into the chair every time a character would reiterate "King Vegeta wants to get rid of Broly because his battle power is higher than the King's son!" or some other nugget of wisdom that had already been stated three or four times thus far. They don't even vary the word choice.

Visually though there's some great stuff in the fight scenes, and one scene in particular where they must have seen the Dr. Strange sequences and gone "We gotta do that, but Dragon Ball style!"

The plot is fine, it's just executed badly.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Has anyone else here seen Rio (2011)? It is very good. The dancing and the landscape shots are beautiful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mamkute posted:

Has anyone else here seen Rio (2011)? It is very good. The dancing and the landscape shots are beautiful.

Well the second half of your post is right

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mamkute posted:

Its sequel, Blame it on Rio, took a really bizarre turn though

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It was a bold decision to release the sequel to a 2011 film in 1984, I must say.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

As a bird- haver, you'd think I'd have seen Rio by now but

Mamkute posted:

The dancing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched Megamind for the first time in 9 years the other day, the script is still really good but goddamn those are some ugly character designs

Also the city feels like it has 200 people in it

Also they dance to bad by michael jackson at the end and jonah hill join in from prison and the song title is apt

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress DB Super: Broly owned

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Shadow Hog posted:

It was a bold decision to release the sequel to a 2011 film in 1984, I must say.

I know there is a Rio 2, but I probably won't seek it out because introducing kids rarely works out for sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mamkute posted:

I know there is a Rio 2, but I probably won't seek it out because introducing kids rarely works out for sequels.

Worked for King Arthur.

Well, not personally