Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The cherry on top is its progressive trailer that completely sets you up to be blindsided by the movie itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pigbuster posted:

The cherry on top is its progressive trailer that completely sets you up to be blindsided by the movie itself.

Yes, I don't think people would've been nearly as angry if it weren't for the trailer.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

DC Murderverse posted:

Angry Birds is definitely pretty awful too but i saw trailers for the new one and birds and pigs are living peacefully together? so maybe they learned their lesson

the 2nd movie has a completely different director (Thurop Van Orman, the Flapjack guy) and completely different writers, so hopefully

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sexpig by night posted:

I literally forgot Kubo, what's the end that made people upset?

It's not super upsetting, it's just kind of tonally weird? Like, the whole movie sets up how horrible it is to lose your memory and sense of self and how awful it is that the bad guy is trying to forcibly change Kubo against his will...and then the movie ends with Kubo causing the bad guy to lose his memory and sense of self and forcibly changing him against his will and this is treated as an unambiguously good thing.

It's a little like having a movie that has a strong anti-gun message throughout the majority of the plot and then right at the climax of the movie the protagonist murders the villain with a machine gun and then no one ever acknowledges how hypocritical that was. Like I said, not as bad as Boxtrolls, but just weird and off putting enough for me that it kind of made me like the rest of the movie less.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 13, 2019

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's a little like having a movie that has a strong anti-gun message throughout the majority of the plot and then right at the climax of the movie the protagonist murders the villain with a machine gun and then no one ever acknowledges how hypocritical that was.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wizards loving rules.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Wizards is absolutely insane, flawed, inconsistent in tone, and has some of the worst sound mixing I've ever heard but I love every drat second of it.

I guess that describes every Bakshi movie, tho.

Pick posted:

Upwards class mobility is seen as unequivocally evil.
Gotta see this cartoon

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

So this is the original strip style, and I think they look really similar to the 3D models.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Genie can't kill people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ImpAtom posted:

The Genie can't kill people.

You'd be surprised at what you can live through.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd be surprised at what you can live through.

I am a great soft jelly thing. Smoothly rounded, with no mouth, with pulsing white holes filled by fog where my eyes used to be. Rubbery appendages that were once my arms; bulks rounding down into legless humps of soft slippery matter. I leave a moist trail when I move. Blotches of diseased, evil gray come and go on my surface, as though light is being beamed from within. Outwardly: dumbly, I shamble about, a thing that could never have been known as human, a thing whose shape is so alien a travesty that humanity becomes more obscene for the vague resemblance. Inwardly: alone. Here. Living under the land, under the sea, in the belly of Agrabah, where we could not have known a begger finding a lamp would ruin the world. At least the four of them are safe at last. The Genie will be all the madder for that. It makes me a little happier. And yet ... The Genie has won, simply ... he has taken his revenge ...

I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went to see Missing Link and enjoyed it. It's got good animation and the story services it. Another pass would have tightened it up, but it's good fun. It did, however, feel like it was somewhat stripped-down and simplified for LAIKA, probably because Wildwood fell through and they decided to do something a little quicker. There's nothing complicated about the plot at all, and it doesn't have as many super busy scenes like Kubo. I thought it actually made for a stronger film in some ways.

Apparently, it was announced as having begun only April 25 of last year, so it's possible that this really was a rush job to get something at all out the door.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

I went to see Missing Link and enjoyed it. It's got good animation and the story services it. Another pass would have tightened it up, but it's good fun. It did, however, feel like it was somewhat stripped-down and simplified for LAIKA, probably because Wildwood fell through and they decided to do something a little quicker. There's nothing complicated about the plot at all, and it doesn't have as many super busy scenes like Kubo. I thought it actually made for a stronger film in some ways.

Apparently, it was announced as having begun only April 25 of last year, so it's possible that this really was a rush job to get something at all out the door.

when they announced it in April they still had a date reserved for 2018 so i guarantee it's a rush-job.

honestly i remember a few years back when layoffs were happening (i think post-Kubo) and everyone was worried that they were finished, which seems crazy but Knight is moving on to bigger things and Missing Link is both not one of their better movies quality-wise and a complete and total bomb financially (we're talking bottom 15 opening weekends for movies opening on 3000+ screens).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We were in the grocery store and they started playing Space Jam.

Part of me was :psyduck:

but another part was :dance:

and a third part was

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Missing Link is a hard sell. The yeti is not cute, so it seems you’re going to get a Paddington type story without the benefit of a cute bear, and instead be looking at a kind of unsettling small eyed big nose portly thing.
Combine that with the lack of conflict in the trailer and I didn’t really have any desire to see it.

The period setting is kinda cool but I’ve been burned by that before (Boxtrolls, Steamboy, etc)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's super explicitly about how that era was poo poo and the old white guys in it were poo poo.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pick posted:

It's super explicitly about how that era was poo poo and the old white guys in it were poo poo.

This was the only trailer I saw for it, which was pretty much “look at this big galoot! He’ll sure have trouble fitting in!”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ZN9mRUOuw

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can’t wait to see it. Maybe this weekend! Was going to go with my fiancé but he’ll be away on the weekend and I don’t fancy the film’s chances to stay in cinemas for a third week :/

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So has anyone seen Dumbo? Thoughts on it? My sister said that she was expecting better, and she liked the trailers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Obviously there’s been a surplus of people posting art from Disney’s Hunchback. I’m glad so much of Notre Dame has survived, including all 3 of the rose windows.

https://twitter.com/wardomatic/status/1117991858783887361

https://twitter.com/emma_chapple/status/1117864533152993281

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

So has anyone seen Dumbo? Thoughts on it? My sister said that she was expecting better, and she liked the trailers.

Dumbo was easily the worst movie I've seen this year. The main girl actor sucks, but a lot of the adult actors literally flub their lines too. It feels like they weren't allowed to do more than a few takes for any scene. The evil circus has a neat classic Disneyland/World's Fair aesthetic, but there's no real teeth to it. It's neither oppressive nor subversive. On the plus side, Eva Green's and Alan Arkin's characters were good, it has a great score, and I liked this movie's Casey Jr.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I saw Penguin Highway last night. It's kind of a mixed bag, generally good but not something you should rush out to see.

Pros:

* The character design is really good. There were kids in the class who seemed like familiar characters despite them always being in the background, simply because everyone's visual design is distinctive and conveys meaning efficiently.

* There's a strong sense of the director at work visually here. Some may find it a bit too heavy-handed, but it's kind of nice to see the director putting effort into a scene. It's especially good when dealing with the viewpoint of the main character. I really do love that it lets this child draw childish conclusions and doesn't judge him for it but doesn't come down entirely on his side either.

* The soundtrack is quite good, if not especially novel. It's heavily influenced by Ghibli movies but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and this one works.

* Even with an unbalanced tone, several of the more emotional moments work really well, if only in isolation. The characterization is good enough (again working from a strong visual design) that the climax hit me well enough.

Cons:

* The film never quite commits to its fantasy; it often seems to be wanting to impress the audience more than the characters. As a result, those parts feel a bit flat, like no one is really reacting to what's going on, they're reacting to where the plot is heading.

* Unfortunately some of the time when it's trying to impress the audience, it fails hard at it. There's a part where things are supposed to look weird and wrong, and it ends up just looking like poorly-done animation. Most of the time it looks fine, it's just glaring that these bad moments are the ones where it seems to be showing off. (I'd be remiss for not pointing out that there are parts where it tries something new that does work.)

* The tone isn't balanced very well. The first section is a bit too light and humorous, and while it doesn't go too dark, the latter half has more of the drama. There are portions that feel they must have been pieced together from different parts of the book(s), especially when you have a boy who spends an unhealthy amount of time with a woman in her twenties and then also has a loving mother, father, and younger sister he could be with instead.

As to that last point, yes, there's a relationship that has to come off as questionable even in a culture that's generally more permissive with where their kids go. This ten-year-old boy spends way too much time alone with this woman who's probably 15 years his senior, is rather open with how much he likes her 'boobs' and she takes it all in stride (even the way she keeps calling him 'boy' is a bit off-putting). Although there are 'plot' reasons for it, it's nonetheless creepy. Again, the film condones it only tacitly -- there are some really faint hints of something that could indicate a more unreliable narrator but there isn't enough that's really said about how his parents should feel about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/strongblacklead/status/1118273370884325383

Looks neat!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

Obviously there’s been a surplus of people posting art from Disney’s Hunchback. I’m glad so much of Notre Dame has survived, including all 3 of the rose windows.

https://twitter.com/wardomatic/status/1117991858783887361

https://twitter.com/emma_chapple/status/1117864533152993281

Wait, I thought all three rose windows DIDN'T survive? What windows got destroyed then?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, I thought all three rose windows DIDN'T survive? What windows got destroyed then?

It was one of the minor windows, the rose ones actually did survive.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

paradoxGentleman posted:

I youtubed the only scene I was interested in (Pink Elephants) and it was atrocious

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly, it'd just be different Tim Burton set pieces and motifs being awkwardly pushed around in the vague shape of an elephant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly the better choice was Missing Link.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

People would've still complained that they look EXACTLY like the originals and they should've just done something different.

Or they would complain that the voices aren't 100% exactly like the originals.

Or they would complain that they should've just stuck to the script of the original.

Basically, no one will ever be happy with anything for any movie.

Well, of course no one will ever be happy with a remake of a much-beloved movie that barely even pretends to have any reason for existing beyond blindly cashing in on name recognition.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Kangra posted:

especially when you have a boy who spends an unhealthy amount of time with a woman in her twenties and then also has a loving mother, father, and younger sister he could be with instead.

As to that last point, yes, there's a relationship that has to come off as questionable even in a culture that's generally more permissive with where their kids go. This ten-year-old boy spends way too much time alone with this woman who's probably 15 years his senior, is rather open with how much he likes her 'boobs' and she takes it all in stride (even the way she keeps calling him 'boy' is a bit off-putting). Although there are 'plot' reasons for it, it's nonetheless creepy. Again, the film condones it only tacitly -- there are some really faint hints of something that could indicate a more unreliable narrator but there isn't enough that's really said about how his parents should feel about it.

I thought the whole time that they were going to reveal she was a child psychologist covertly hired by his parents, that he confuses for a dental receptionist because she is working out of the same medical centre. His father is clearly using some researched parenting techniques, having encouraged him to journal daily and giving him little operant conditioning sweets, but he still struggles to relate to people his own age and needs someone to challenge him. They don't fully establish that though (or maybe they did, I was too high to process the last twenty minutes or so and there is no plot summary online). In any case, I found his crush innocent enough (and realistic), and liked her way of interacting with him so that he thinks he is being respected as an adult while she is clearly life coaching him. Still, it definitely could have used maybe a snippet of overheard conversation between her and the dad. I can't recall his mother situation being depicted at any point.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Red one looks like discount Garnet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I can already tell the green one is going to be my favorite.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Moon Atari posted:

Still, it definitely could have used maybe a snippet of overheard conversation between her and the dad. I can't recall his mother situation being depicted at any point.

I honestly had to force myself to remember that his mother was still around about halfway through. She has all of a few seconds of screen time, but since it's repeatedly showing him heading off to school, you get the sense that they have a fairly normal family. There's also the scene with his sister where she realizes their mother will die which is a fantastic scene, and I wish there had been more of that sort of thing, even if it was only with her.

I can get behind the idea that the dad is knowingly allowing her to 'observe' his son, even if it's not quite the situation you described. You might have missed it but she's implied to be an alien life form although that might be kind of metaphorical -- it feels inspired by The Little Prince in that regard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How's Okko's Inn? Is it worth driving out to catch a show?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Missing Link is good clean fun and doesn't suck so it's going to be better than a lot of what's on the table the next three years, go see it while you can.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

Missing Link is good clean fun and doesn't suck so it's going to be better than a lot of what's on the table the next three years, go see it while you can.

They should change the trailers so that the movie looks in any way appealing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that's why im here doin some wom

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

They should change the trailers so that the movie looks in any way appealing

People who make the trailers for animated movies never seem to be very good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

People who make the trailers for animated movies never seem to be very good at it.

Spider-Verse had some great trailers, but it was also a pretty unique movie.