Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Lassetter is old and boomery would be my guess.

He's 62, so not a spring chicken, but probably not older than any other head of any other animation studio. And the stuff most of the movies touch on are stuff from when he would have been like 5 or younger. It's like he writes from the perspective of his dad or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's second hand I'd guess, boomers have had a stranglehold on pop culture right up to the 90s.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's second hand I'd guess, boomers have had a stranglehold on pop culture right up to the 90s.

And now its the 80s kids who have a stranglehold on pop culture.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

True, it's just weird how omnipresent it is specifically in pixar. Especially since their stories aren't largely super regressive otherwise. They are just set in a world where a lot of 1950s and 60s logic and social structures still exist or deal with problems that people who are much older than the children seeing the movie or the parents seeing the movie with their kids are dealing with. In a way similar movies from other studios don't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pop Culture in general has this thing about universalizing experiences and cultural markers. Like the big capstone events in Stranger Things are, like, Winter Formal. Kids now hardly give half a poo poo about school events like that.

Someone mentioned how TV makes it seem like kids from 6th grade have whole lockers to manage. Same thing.

Millennials are just old enough to know about stuff like the Woody And Friends Adventure Hour sponsored by Nestle thanks to osmosis. In 10 years we'll be getting kids having misadventures waiting for the midnight release of Patriot's Valor 3

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Someone mentioned how TV makes it seem like kids from 6th grade have whole lockers to manage. Same thing.

That was also me! Once I got thinking about it I can’t stop noticing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think that argument came up elsewhere, and it seems part of the issue is that a lot of schools do things differently. Some media does lean into a more accurate view of middle school and primary school (the distinction between middle school and high school doesn't really exist in my country that I'm aware of, just making things more confusing) while others go the other direction and deliberately get surreal, often making school into a microcosm of adult society like in Recess or Fillmore! (I remember Heathers having the psycho dude say something like that, and that movie was way too prescient)

If anything there seems to have been a bit of a move away from school settings in cartoons, or maybe rather a cyclical one, probably because producers think because all kids are in school they must identify the most with kids in school, while the writers desperately want to get away from it much like most of the kids do.

I also think the high school thing probably has some appeal because kids always want to seem and feel more mature than they actually are, and will gladly watch stuff that seems intended for people older than them while generally desperately shun anything that looks too 'kiddy'.

While Japan has the whole high school thing apparently probably because high school was the last time that most people felt they were allowed to have a personality and hobbies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Or because they're uncomfortably obsessed with high school girls.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

A lot of it is adaptations of existing media that are targeted at high schoolers but there's definitely a whole mess of venn diagrams at play.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I don't think media targeted at kids dealing with school is any more or less inaccurate or stratified than any other thing, it's just that when you're a small child who hasn't developed their critical capacities and don't have actual experiences to compare it to you just take it at face value. Kids get stuffed into big lockers and have free periods where they sit around talking unsupervised, offices have prank wars that waste hours or days of work time, and every retail store uses validated parking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't even remember subscribing to this guy but he posted an awesome video essay about how Rango shines in a sea of samey talking animal animated films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RKMrHhOZBM

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rango remains one of the best animated films, I've ranted about it before also.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, rango is genuinely incredible and I was completely unprepared for how good it was when I saw it. I don't even remember what was the catalyst, I think my girlfriend at the time wanted to see something neither of us had seen and it happened to pop up on the suggestions so we just went headfirst in and enjoyed it immensely. one of those rare utterly blind watches that turned out to be a home run.

looking at the numbers, it seems to have been somewhat of a bomb when it released, which while unsurprising does suck.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I'm strongly anti-Rango but I'll watch that video to hear a counterargument

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, rango is genuinely incredible and I was completely unprepared for how good it was when I saw it. I don't even remember what was the catalyst, I think my girlfriend at the time wanted to see something neither of us had seen and it happened to pop up on the suggestions so we just went headfirst in and enjoyed it immensely. one of those rare utterly blind watches that turned out to be a home run.

looking at the numbers, it seems to have been somewhat of a bomb when it released, which while unsurprising does suck.

I saw it once in Prague with English subtitles as well which was rad. It might be my most re-watched animated film (though largely in a passive "on when I'm doing other things" way). The road-crossing scene Got me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I loved the behind the scenes. Since it was ilm they approached it in a bit more vfx-y way and the animators already knew a ton about creature movement but then they got to flex their lesser used character animation muscles with the help of live action ref of all the Hollywood actors doing the scenes. Usually on an animated film you just get ref of the actors in a sound booth which gives some acting ideas but not much. With the full blown reference they had more time to decide “how would Johnny Depps acting translate to this creature” instead of having to first come up with the performance from scratch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rango was great but the star of that movie for me was Rattlesnake Jake. He just ate up every scene he was in, he was so good.

I will say, I think the action scenes in Rango are good but I don't think it's the best like the guy in the video thinks, I think any action scene with the Madagascar Penguins, whether in their own movie, or in the third Madagascar (or even the second one where they are landing the plane), are on a whole other level than any other action movie. They do things you really can't do without animation. The big long continuous shot of the penguins falling from airplane to airplane in the Penguins movie is bonkers. I wish more animated movies were willing to go as off the rails as Dreamworks does when doing any of the penguin action scenes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

See also: Spielberg's Tintin movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving loved Tintin and wish it had done better.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Captain Invictus posted:

I wish the sequel would come out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rango made me incredibly thirsty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean I try not to kinkshame but wow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had the same thing with Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. It made me really want burgers and spaghetti

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Captain Invictus posted:

Same

I didn't grow up with the books so I walked in cold but it was simultaneously very pleasant and invigorating

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Tintin movie is really weird for me because while I like it a lot it’s in a completely different way from the comics. I like the comics for their humor and character interactions, with even the more serious moments punctuated with a joke on nearly every page. The action is mostly an afterthought to me. But the film is all about the action scenes; they’re some of the most ludicrous set pieces I’ve ever seen. I normally hate Peter Jackson’s unbelievably deadly action sequences because seeing real life people go through a Donkey Kong Country level just immediately takes me out of the film. But do the same thing with cartoon characters and I’m fully engaged. I wish Peter would do more animation because that’s where his sensibilities actually work.

It’s weird for an adaptation to so thoroughly miss what I like about a beloved series and for me to still like it anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pigbuster posted:

The Tintin movie is really weird for me because while I like it a lot it’s in a completely different way from the comics. I like the comics for their humor and character interactions, with even the more serious moments punctuated with a joke on nearly every page. The action is mostly an afterthought to me. But the film is all about the action scenes; they’re some of the most ludicrous set pieces I’ve ever seen. I normally hate Peter Jackson’s unbelievably deadly action sequences because seeing real life people go through a Donkey Kong Country level just immediately takes me out of the film. But do the same thing with cartoon characters and I’m fully engaged. I wish Peter would do more animation because that’s where his sensibilities actually work.

It’s weird for an adaptation to so thoroughly miss what I like about a beloved series and for me to still like it anyway.

I loved the part at the end where Haddock is swordfighting with the bad guy but instead of swords they are clashing with cranes I think that was that movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Trailer #2 for the Dragon Quest V movie.

drat this looks good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m really looking forward to seeing that movie around the same time I get my hands on Dragon quest 11 for Switch.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/pixar/status/1141375108642217985?s=21

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's like the soul but it's a company :buddy:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^^^ Goddamn't!!

Can't wait to see how human souls end up working at an office or a factory or whatever.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The movie starts with an old man on his deathbed, surrounded by family. He tells them how proud he is of them all and that he loves them. His eyes close for the final time and the audience waits to see what this depiction of the afterlife is. Screen fades to black. Then stays that way. An hour and a half of nothing later the credits roll.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Huh, two non-sequel Pixar movies coming out next year?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wait, Pixar already made Coco.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Pixar already made Inside Out

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Pixar already made Monsters, Incorporated

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Pixar already made the incredibles (because what if superheroes were a bureaucracy)

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Finally, the foot-fetish movie I've been waiting for.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Huh, two non-sequel Pixar movies coming out next year?
Wouldn't be the first time, given we got Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur in one year.

Although I only saw Inside Out in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Turns out the answer to the important question is to not sue your employer for wage fixing and other anti trust violations. Weird message, but I guess it’s write what you know.