Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The former, given a fair amount of salty comics did children's/family stuff - Bob Saget had issues with people bringing kids to his stand during and post-Full House and his actual comedy is extremely blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whiz Palace posted:

Do kids show voice actors have to be reminded to say "oh my gosh" constantly, or are they just plucked from properly wholesome families?

It's not like people don't watch old stuff. Or people don't modify their language when in mixed company.

Heck, I don't swear nearly as much as I used to mostly because I got bored of it and developed more bizarre exclamations. Apparently not unique if game streamer Alpharad's 'God... bless America!' is any indication.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

Do kids show voice actors have to be reminded to say "oh my gosh" constantly, or are they just plucked from properly wholesome families?

they read from the scripts they're given i imagine

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brother Entropy posted:

they read from the scripts they're given i imagine

I think they meant in public.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I think they meant in public.

The same answer applies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It seems to be totally arbitrary. Like, every main character in Wreck-It Ralph has a filmography full of R-rated comedy and also sometimes nudity and everyone from SpongeBob to Mabel Pines are filthy-mouthed alt comics and nobody cares but then you have things like people being outraged that that children's YouTuber had a different persona doing sketch comedy years ago or Katy Perry being on Sesame Street while possessing breasts.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sleeveless posted:

It seems to be totally arbitrary. Like, every main character in Wreck-It Ralph has a filmography full of R-rated comedy and also sometimes nudity and everyone from SpongeBob to Mabel Pines are filthy-mouthed alt comics and nobody cares but then you have things like people being outraged that that children's YouTuber had a different persona doing sketch comedy years ago or Katy Perry being on Sesame Street while possessing breasts.

Isn't the distinction between animated and live action?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to watching Brave Little Toaster for the first time. It was alright, although a big sluggish at first, and some of the voice actors were phoning it in. Also I found many of the songs lacking, although the spare-parts shop and junkyard were interesting setpieces. It definitely picked up towards the end, but overall, without the nostalgia factor I just didn't really feel it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Watching an ABC special on The Lion King. It focuses on the CGI version, the original animated movie, and the Broadway play

Favreau says there's one scene in the CGI movie that is just CGI animals on a real background from Africa and was added just to see if anyone could tell the difference.

Also he, Seth, and Billy all confirmed they ad-libbed Timon and Pumbaa.

Billy is happy that Favreau cast a gay actor as Timon as Nathan Lane played him previously and he played Timon with a "gay sensibility".

I'm gay and I'm not sure what that means but ok then. :v:

I saw Aladdin this afternoon. I loved it. Will Smith was perfect for a live action Genie and the stuff added helped the story a lot.

I'm all for Naomi Scott's Jasmine and she did great.

EDIT: Beyonce's song is in the movie. They're showing the music video now.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 17, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

beyonce is releasing a Black Panther-esque soundtrack/playlist for Lion King and it's the first thing i've seen that makes me glad that this movie was made. It's got her and Jay and Childish on the same track, her and Kendrick on a track, her and Pharell on a track, but it also has some really good lesser known artists that I really like, Tierra Whack and Jessie Reyez, which is very good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m seeing Lion King tonight with my fiancé in one of those premium cinemas with recliners and drink service :3

Also I just got the Art And Making Of book for the movie. It’s pretty decent, has a lot of nice artwork. I’ll be interested to see if the text justifies the super realistic/drab look the final film has.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

beyonce is releasing a Black Panther-esque soundtrack/playlist for Lion King and it's the first thing i've seen that makes me glad that this movie was made. It's got her and Jay and Childish on the same track, her and Kendrick on a track, her and Pharell on a track, but it also has some really good lesser known artists that I really like, Tierra Whack and Jessie Reyez, which is very good.

Yep, they talked about that in the documentary Robin Roberts did. She wanted it to be a love letter to Africa and actually feature African musicians and not just drums or chanting randomly.

It's actually up on Google Play and it's loving amazing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hi I just saw Lion King! I have some thoughts but first of all let me just say I’m never going to a “premium” cinema that has reclining seats and food and drinks and waiters again because it’s noisy and distracting as poo poo and not worth being double the price of a regular movie ticket. My cinema had Lion King themed cocktails though which was cute. I enjoyed a Simba and my fiancé had a Timon.

Anyway, here’s what I thought about the Lion King remake...

Bad:
- Reviews are on the ball, it’s pretty lifeless for a lot of it. Scenes like Circle of Life fall rather flat when they should be triumphant.
- It’s like 90% word for word and scene for scene the 1994 movie, yet the writers of that movie don’t get credited??
- No Mufasa face in the clouds, just random clouds and the voice.
- Can You Feel the Love Tonight scene takes place in broad daylight
- Be Prepared was truncated and really disappointing. I have more to say about why it might have been changed later.
- It’s 30 minutes longer than the 1994 film but all the added stuff is like... lots of little bits of nothing most of the time.
- Lots of bits taken out too, weirdly. Like Rafiki’s playfulness. Zazu singing the coconuts song. Little things that in their absence make the movie feel more generic.

Neutral:
- I Just Can’t Wait To Be King doesn’t switch to a colourful cartoony fantasy version of the savannah like in the animated one, but the sequence is instead a rather fun choreographed slapstick romp through a watering hole with lots of animals so it’s fine.
- Beyoncé’s song is good but it plays for like 30 seconds non-diagetically instead of Nala actually singing it. I was hoping for another big musical number.
- Beyoncé does all her typical vocal flourishes in Love Tonight, which, okay you hired Beyoncé so you get Beyoncé. But it’s distracting. My fiancé and I laughed. You can barely hear Donald Glover under her.
- The facial animation is actually okay. Not great but not terrible. Some animals like the hyenas have way more expressive faces. Shamefully the lions have the least animation in that respect.
- Scar creeping on Nala has been taken out and replaced with Scar creeping on Sarabi. There’s also a hinted back story that is barely mentioned, about how at one point in the past Sarabi chose Mufasa over Scar and that’s why Mufasa is king? Idk I’m not sure

Good:
- Timon and Pumbaa. drat they’re great. They come in halfway through and really inject some energy into what had been a pretty drab film up to that point. Really funny, lots of new lines and ad libs and gags.
- The scene where they sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Nala attacks is amazing. Maybe the best scene of the film.
- Little Pumbaa in the Hakuna Matata flashback might be the most adorable thing in the movie.
- T&P also get a great gag later involving another Disney movie song.
- The hyenas are pretty well animated and get a little more to do. One of them is sort of established as Scar’s equal rather than his servant which makes the hyenas more powerful, and might explain why Be Prepared changes a bit? He’s not talking down to them in that song, instead he’s kind of imploring them to listen to him.
- It’s visually gorgeous. Any frame taken out of the film is amazing to look at. It’s just the lifelessness in motion that holds it back, sadly.
- That said, there’s still a lot of impressive realistic animal animation. Yeah, they don’t move like *animated* animals. But tons of work was done to animate hundreds of creatures from scratch and it’s still worthy of praise.
- Voice work overall is pretty good.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 17, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hedrigall posted:

Hi I just saw Lion King! I have some thoughts but first of all let me just say I’m never going to a “premium” cinema that has reclining seats and food and drinks and waiters again because it’s noisy and distracting as poo poo and not worth being double the price of a regular movie ticket. My cinema had Lion King themed cocktails though which was cute. I enjoyed a Simba and my fiancé had a Timon.

Anyway, here’s what I thought about the Lion King remake...

Bad:
- Reviews are on the ball, it’s pretty lifeless for a lot of it. Scenes like Circle of Life fall rather flat when they should be triumphant.
- It’s like 90% word for word and scene for scene the 1994 movie, yet the writers of that movie don’t get credited??
- Can You Feel the Love Tonight scene takes place in broad daylight
- Be Prepared was truncated and really disappointing. I have more to say about why it might have been changed later.
- It’s 30 minutes longer than the 1994 film but all the added stuff is like... lots of little bits of nothing most of the time.
- Lots of bits taken out too, weirdly. Like Rafiki’s playfulness. Zazu singing the coconuts song. Little things that in their absence make the movie feel more generic.

Neutral:
- I Just Can’t Wait To Be King doesn’t switch to a colourful cartoony fantasy version of the savannah like in the animated one, but the sequence is instead a rather fun choreographed slapstick romp through a watering hole with lots of animals so it’s fine.
- Beyoncé’s song is good but it plays for like 30 seconds non-diagetically instead of Nala actually singing it. I was hoping for another big musical number.
- Beyoncé does all her typical vocal flourishes in Love Tonight, which, okay you hired Beyoncé so you get Beyoncé. But it’s distracting. My fiancé and I laughed. You can barely hear Donald Glover under her.
- The facial animation is actually okay. Not great but not terrible. Some animals like the hyenas have way more expressive faces. Shamefully the lions have the least animation in that respect.
- Scar creeping on Nala has been taken out and replaced with Scar creeping on Sarabi. There’s also a hinted back story that is barely mentioned, about how at one point in the past Sarabi chose Mufasa over Scar and that’s why Mufasa is king? Idk I’m not sure

Good:
- Timon and Pumbaa. drat they’re great. They come in halfway through and really inject some energy into what had been a pretty drab film up to that point. Really funny, lots of new lines and ad libs and gags.
- The scene where they sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Nala attacks is amazing. Maybe the best scene of the film.
- Little Pumbaa in the Hakuna Matata flashback might be the most adorable thing in the movie.
- T&P also get a great gag later involving another Disney movie song.
- The hyenas are pretty well animated and get a little more to do. One of them is sort of established as Scar’s equal rather than his servant which makes the hyenas more powerful, and might explain why Be Prepared changes a bit? He’s not talking down to them in that song, instead he’s kind of imploring them to listen to him.
- It’s visually gorgeous. Any frame taken out of the film is amazing to look at. It’s just the lifelessness in motion that holds it back, sadly.
- That said, there’s still a lot of impressive realistic animal animation. Yeah, they don’t move like *animated* animals. But tons of work was done to animate hundreds of creatures from scratch and it’s still worthy of praise.
- Voice work overall is pretty good.
Disagree on the premium thing, but that might be a difference in theaters since the one I visit they deliver the food BEFORE the movie starts to avoid that issue and the chairs are comfy as loving hell. That's my only contribution to this.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah it seems bad form to have the food delivered during the movie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I pity folks who don't have access to Chunky's. Five dollars for matinee tickets and the chairs are literally Lincoln Town Car seats welded onto wheeled scaffolding so you can roll around to adjust position at your table. They open the theaters 45 minutes early(sometimes earlier) so folks can arrive early, get a good seat, and eat prior to the movie or at least have something to munch on mid-movie, and the prices aren't outlandish either.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

Well not really. You see the outline of his features in flashes of lightning. I thought it worked pretty well.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Scar creeped on Nala in the original? I don't remember that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Andorra posted:

Once he takes over she's in his... uh... harem? Pride?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

I pity folks who don't have access to Chunky's. Five dollars for matinee tickets and the chairs are literally Lincoln Town Car seats welded onto wheeled scaffolding so you can roll around to adjust position at your table. They open the theaters 45 minutes early(sometimes earlier) so folks can arrive early, get a good seat, and eat prior to the movie or at least have something to munch on mid-movie, and the prices aren't outlandish either.

:psyduck: what the gently caress kind of David Lynch rear end theater

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Andorra posted:

I don’t think the movie touches it, but the exchange gets a musical number in the broadway version.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

That legit sounds dope as loving hell.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Thanks for reminding me that it’s been ages since I’ve been to the one around here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There is no tension between Scar and Nalain the original, it was added to the play to reduce "Scar's gay" comments so instead he wants to gently caress his niece, cool

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress kind of David Lynch rear end theater
it is legitimately the best and I will never go to another theater that isn't chunky's. It would be really cool if they could expand further outward but right now they only have 3 locations(they shut down the fourth, a pitiful satellite location that was not well maintained), and the screens aren't gigantic unfortunately, but they're plenty good enough.

doomrider7 posted:

That legit sounds dope as loving hell.
(corny promo video, but it shows off how the theaters are set up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqZFWKbTZU&hd=1

Lately they've been having 21+ showings for a lot of movies like Spiderman and other movies that attract lots of kids birthday parties and stuff to the general showings, which I am definitely interested in. Unfortunately they had to pare down their menu and got rid of the pitcher of margarita, which was a staple for me. :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Schlub Husband posted:

Well not really. You see the outline of his features in flashes of lightning. I thought it worked pretty well.

I was watching really closely because I thought they might do something like this and I saw the lightning flashes and I still couldn’t tell it was meant to be a lion

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

in honor of The Lion King, The Fader made a list of the 40 best Disney songs, and it was apparently written by people who haven't watched anything from before 1989 that aren't Snow White or The Jungle Book (or, for that matter, anything post Tarzan aside from the obvious Frozen)

No Peter Pan, no Cinderella, no Dumbo, no Lady and the Tramp, no 101 Dalmations, no Moana, but 4-5 songs each from Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King Hunchback, Little Mermaid, Hercules. The most 90s-kid-rear end list i've ever seen

40. “A Guy Like You,” The Hunchback of Notre Dame
39. “Love,” Robin Hood
38. “Poor Unfortunate Souls,” The Little Mermaid
37. “Out There,” The Hunchback of Notre Dame
36. “I Won’t Say (I’m in Love),” Hercules
35. “Two Worlds,” Tarzan
34. “That’s What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song),” The Jungle Book
33. “Something There,” Beauty and the Beast
32. “The Gospel Truth,” Hercules
31. “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” Frozen
30. “Go the Distance,” Hercules
29. “Reflection,” Mulan
28. “One Jump Ahead,” Aladdin
27. “Be Prepared,” The Lion King
26. “Zero to Hero,” Hercules
25. “Just Around the Riverbend,” Pocahontas
24. “Heigh-Ho,” Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
23. “Belle,” Beauty and the Beast
22. “A Girl Worth Fighting For,” Mulan
21. “I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song),” The Jungle Book
20. “Let It Go,” Frozen
19. “Whistle While You Work,” Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
18. “Gaston,” Beauty and the Beast
17. “Colors of the Wind,” Pocahontas
16. “Friend Like Me,” Aladdin
15. “Beauty and the Beast,” Beauty and the Beast
14. “Prince Ali,” Aladdin
13. “When You Wish Upon a Star,” Pinocchio
12. “The Bare Necessities,” The Jungle Book
11. “Hakuna Matata,” The Lion King
10. “Kiss the Girl,” The Little Mermaid
9. “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” Mulan
8. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King,” The Lion King
7. “Under the Sea,” The Little Mermaid
6. “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” The Lion King
5. “Be Our Guest,” Beauty and the Beast
4. “Part of Your World,” The Little Mermaid
3. “You’ll Be in My Heart,” Tarzan
2. “Circle of Life,” The Lion King
1. “A Whole New World,” Aladdin

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

DC Murderverse posted:

in honor of The Lion King, The Fader made this garbage list

SO many great songs missing. And while I think A whole new world is a GREAT song, to me “Disney” and everything it encompasses and branded as is clearly “When you wish upon a Star”

Like come on— it’s not even debatable!

Bare Necessities, Someday my prince will come, why should I worry? , Once Upon a Dream..... like......

And then a bunch of Hunchback songs and NOT Hellfire?

*throws list in the trash*

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pick posted:

There is no tension between Scar and Nalain the original, it was added to the play to reduce "Scar's gay" comments so instead he wants to gently caress his niece, cool

or maybe it was added to show scar really is royalty material

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah it seems bad form to have the food delivered during the movie

The Mufasa death scene was interrupted, right at the moment of highest emotion, by the dude in front of me loudly ordering a chocolate mousse from an in-cinema waiter. “Mousse. The chocol— the chocolate mousse.

And during every single quiet scene you could hear the electric whine of people moving their seats up and down.

Maybe it’s just the cinema chain I went to, but it was a cruddy experience. Capped off by the fact the screen was much smaller than one in a regular theatre because it was a premium thing with only like 25 seats.

The only reason I did it was because I had a voucher for two premium seats for au$20 instead of the normal $60.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
How is the entire soundtrack of The Little Mermaid not at the top of the list?!?

WHERE IS LES POISSONS???

SUNG BY loving ODO???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcyhVHrmlMU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is literally the entire reason they write lists, so the rubes will spread the article far and wide in their complaining about it. Don't be that guy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Les Poissons is a weird song because it's a fun, silly, catchy song but I never remember it exists

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Macaluso posted:

Les Poissons is a weird song because it's a fun, silly, catchy song but I never remember it exists

It's also the same melody as Be Our Guest. Tripped me out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DC Murderverse posted:

in honor of The Lion King, The Fader made

The video The Ringer made to go along with their list is especially annoying because they completely ignore everything pre Little Mermaid
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1151604990709915649.

That being said, the Ringer list did name check the Tom Waits cover of Heigh Ho so it's not all bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISFemeHOC4

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hedrigall posted:

The Mufasa death scene was interrupted, right at the moment of highest emotion, by the dude in front of me loudly ordering a chocolate mousse from an in-cinema waiter. “Mousse. The chocol— the chocolate mousse.

And during every single quiet scene you could hear the electric whine of people moving their seats up and down.

Maybe it’s just the cinema chain I went to, but it was a cruddy experience. Capped off by the fact the screen was much smaller than one in a regular theatre because it was a premium thing with only like 25 seats.

The only reason I did it was because I had a voucher for two premium seats for au$20 instead of the normal $60.

Yeah no. Had to be the chain then. The AMC I visit has barely audible whirr on the chairs and you have to place your orders BEFORE the movie starts so that they have time to make it and get it to no later than as the movie starts. That and the screens vary in size depending on the movies week and how highly promoted it is(first week it'll or highly promoted, big screen in theater that sits a good solid 150). You could say there's noise from the plastic cutlery, but that too is negligible due to the speakers used.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sleeveless posted:

This is literally the entire reason they write lists, so the rubes will spread the article far and wide in their complaining about it. Don't be that guy.

too late

22 Great Songs Missing From That Dumb List: (listed chronologically)

Someday My Prince Will Come (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
I've Got No Strings (Pinocchio)
Baby Mine (Dumbo)
When I See an Elephant Fly (Dumbo)
A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes (Cinderella)
The Second Star to the Right (Peter Pan)
You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly! (Peter Pan)
He's a Tramp (Lady and the Tramp)
Once Upon a Dream (Sleeping Beauty)
Cruella DeVil (One Hundred and One Dalmations)
Everybody Wants to Be a Cat (The Aristocats)
Someone's Waiting for You (The Rescuers)
Why Should I Worry? (Oliver and Company)
My Funny Friend and Me (Emperor's New Groove)
Hawaiian Roller Coaster (Lilo and Stitch)
On My Way (Brother Bear)
Will The Sun Ever Shine Again (Home on the Range)
Friends on the Other Side (Princess and the Frog)
Almost There (Princess and the Frog)
Mother Knows Best (Tangled)
Try Everything (Zootopia)
How Far I'll Go (Moana)

And this is ignoring the films that are cut together shorts (like Winnie the Pooh, which would definitely have a song in the top 40) and also Mary Poppins, Enchanted and the other live action Disney movies that have songs that would probably be worth a slot.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
List does not contain “Why Should I Worry”. List is wrong,

Anyone have the comic handy of “New research shows that the best year for pop culture was when you, yes YOU reading this right now, we’re 12 years old!?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And where the gently caress is "World's Greatest Criminal Mind" or "Goodbye so Soon"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The vfx supervisor for Lion King was Adam Valdez, who also supervised Jungle Book. If you’re interested in the process that goes into making these movies and the sheer amount of stuff the ppl at the top have to consider, this is worth a watch: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63n6TD83kNc

Their eyes are so trained and need to be able to pick up issues on a per pixel basis and be able to identify what department is responsible for the issue. In 2d animation the problem would be “the drawing isn’t working” but in cg it could be an issue with the rig or animation or muscle and fur simulations or lighting or compositing. Just tracking that down through myriad overlapping departments is a headache and a half.