Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ChickenHeart posted:

So are the Tallest actually just regular-sized Irkin dudes stuffed into robot bodies? I don't think I've ever noticed before but aside from their heads and arms everything looks mechanical in the movie.

Yeah, Irkin society decides who their leaders are on based on height so Red and Purple built themselves big robot bodies so they could rule and no one noticed because Irkins are dumb as Hell about everything except building cool machines and destroying stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

Richard Williams died.

the hell??? why arent people talking about the death of most likely the strongest animation artist in the history of the world?

for reference, williams disliked the tom and jerry animation style of comedy and characters. he still made the best adaptation of traditional cartoon animation in cinema with "who framed roger rabbit" because he was so god damned good at it, and he mixed it with live action with unprecedented skill to boot. his work pretty much brought the western cartoon renaissance along.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 18, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Enjoyed the Invader Zim Netflix special. Surprisingly, the thing that stood out to me even more than the high def and the room to breath that a movie length special gives was the sound mixing. Every dramatic flourish was window-rattling, and it really helped the pacing!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sorry, I went for a viewing party on Friday and then spent all weekend sleeping and playing games with my sister.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, and Zim was fantastic. The show hasn't skipped a beat. I kept looking for Gravelord Nito but didn't see him. I think maybe the scene had passed after I read that post.

Thank ya! I went digging and it's a lot dumber than I remember, but that kinda makes me happy:

This is actually one of the BGs I tweaked from our freelancers, not one I built from the ground up. I wound up doing that a lot when they turned in a scene that just needed more poo poo in it.
I wanna see if I can find my tweaks of Dib's room before I was asked to, "Remove some garbage, Sam. For the love of god."

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I would love to see more behind-the-scenes guff. Did you do anything for the garage scenes? The movie really front loaded all its callbacks on that bit.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ChickenHeart posted:

I would love to see more behind-the-scenes guff. Did you do anything for the garage scenes? The movie really front loaded all its callbacks on that bit.

I did everything in the garage scene! This was the pan:

I ended up getting a Hulu account and going back through the entire series, making sure to screencap and add at least one item from each episode. I think I wound up with 58 easter eggs in this shot and had to compile all my screengrabs into a folder for our colorist. That loving pan ended up taking me three days to reference, compile and execute.

EDIT: I had to reduce the jpeg to 15%, my god.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I really appreciate that you spent 3 days drawing garbage so that I could go "Oh hey there's that cow toy that replaced Dib's lungs that one time" while watching the movie.

What was the worst/most gruelling bit you worked on?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

I ended up getting a Hulu account and going back through the entire series, making sure to screencap and add at least one item from each episode. I think I wound up with 58 easter eggs in this shot and had to compile all my screengrabs into a folder for our colorist. That loving pan ended up taking me three days to reference, compile and execute.

Lmao i keep noticing new things like the space juice from Abducted and the tac from bolognius maximus.

Edit: the walnuts from a room with a moose lmao.

So cool loving cool yo

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ChickenHeart posted:

I really appreciate that you spent 3 days drawing garbage so that I could go "Oh hey there's that cow toy that replaced Dib's lungs that one time" while watching the movie.

What was the worst/most gruelling bit you worked on?

I honestly love drawing hideously detailed, laborious things. Zim's trashed living room was probably the most difficult because I created all the piles of junk from scratch and then was responsible for drawing them from multiple angles in a space where their placement was wholly reliant on whichever the gently caress extreme, forced or fish-eyed perspective was necessary. So like, this tall device with three little guns and a piece of bacon wedged in it is positioned to the right of the couch along this part of the wall in this shot, but the actual space in this next shot isn't the same as the previous one at all and I just gotta make it look like the tall-gun-bacon device is in the same spot, but from the opposite angle this time. Repeat with every piece of tech junk in the room.

The worst part was towards the end when I was full-timing (and then some) Zim, freelancing for Wonder Park and doing a rush colorist job for Glint because their colorist had dropped the ball after six months when the project was due in three. One morning I was thinking about something while doing my hair and when my attention was brought back, I realized my face was blurred in the mirror. Like, everything was clear and normal but my face. I remember realizing something was wrong before I dropped to the ground like a stone. I had a weird tachycardia episode after that and when I finally went into work, Breehn scolded me for coming in and forbade me from doing anything and I just laid on the couch in Spencer's office complaining all day. 29 is way too young to be having that poo poo and way too old to be doing that much. :v:

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao i keep noticing new things like the space juice from Abducted and the tac from bolognius maximus.

Edit: the walnuts from a room with a moose lmao.

So cool loving cool yo

I was particularly happy to see we didn't let you down because your avatar has been bringing me joy for months. :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ioved the gag where Dib goes "First I was really gross, then too in shape, now I'm good".

Such a dumb, funny thing to do for a gag. Totally Zim.

"WHAAAAAT?"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

You and the other animators went above and beyond for the movie and the hard work and care you put into it really shows, thank you so much for creating such a fantastic film.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know I'm really pleased with the invader Zim movie. It really is the perfect work to follow up to a franchise that ended like... 17? years ago.

It's got so many nice little touches and the art style and humor is still on point. I'm glad we live in a world where this movie got made even if the show is probably not coming back.

A serious question though. What's with nickolodeon making this Zim and rocko movies for old franchises that ended almost two decades ago? Is this just a test or did some higher level people just feel like making them?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All the kids that grew up with them are old enough to bombard them with HEY SO ZIM RIGHT GUYS. In fact, they started a retro channel called The Splat a few years ago.

I imagine Netflix fronted the money for both and it was like a no brainer to get them done.

Just glad the creators were on board.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m legit curious about what Williams disliked about Tom & Jerry. Was it strictly the animation or something else?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The more I hear about Williams the more Roger Rabbit seems like a miracle. Who gets the credit for wrangling him in and actually getting work done in a reasonable amount of time?

I should go and rewatch the Raggedy Ann and Andy movie he worked on. The Greedy is one of my favorite animated sequences of all time but there was a lot of other talent going on with that movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I've watched that movie not that long ago, and boy it really takes forever for it to get going, and the way it ends feels a lot like 'Welp, what now? I'm out of ideas'.

When it actually does things, it's really well-animated, it just takes it's sweet time to get going.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

rip to a real one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut3OpRzYOJY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

The worst part was towards the end when I was full-timing (and then some) Zim, freelancing for Wonder Park and doing a rush colorist job for Glint because their colorist had dropped the ball after six months when the project was due in three. One morning I was thinking about something while doing my hair and when my attention was brought back, I realized my face was blurred in the mirror. Like, everything was clear and normal but my face. I remember realizing something was wrong before I dropped to the ground like a stone. I had a weird tachycardia episode after that and when I finally went into work, Breehn scolded me for coming in and forbade me from doing anything and I just laid on the couch in Spencer's office complaining all day. 29 is way too young to be having that poo poo and way too old to be doing that much. :v:

Good lord.... that sounds insane as gently caress...jeez.

quote:

I was particularly happy to see we didn’t let you down because your avatar has been bringing me joy for months. :3:

Haha hell yes! You all made me happier than I’ve been in a while. I just rewatched it today on my roommates giant TV and the details and animation are beyond gorgeous.

I’m gonna do a big ol post soon about it, but I just wanted to let it sink for a few days. It’s still surreal that it exists and that it’s better than I hoped. I was only slightly worried it would just be a movie version of the first two issues, but I’m glad it was so much more.

Zim and Army of Darkness were the two corner stones for me, creative wise in my life, and when the special opens with a reference to that movie, it was like okay. This is perfect.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

With Hey Arnold, Invader Zim, and Rocko all getting belated closure it is important to appreciate that the complete shitstain who developed Ren and Stimpy will never be vindicated, nor will anyone revive his work. Apropos of nothing, gently caress him. gently caress the guy who did Fairly Oddparents too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jon K revived it himself in 2005 and pissed away whatever goodwill he had left.

Aw man, anyone remember the petition to get Invader Zim brought back on TNN, the channel that became Spike TV?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.

Also remember when there was a trailer in 06 saying “Zim returns with all new episodes!!” But it was just the unaired ones you could get on the DVD?

I do. Never forget.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just knew you would have signed that petition.

I remember Jhonen was touring around showing the unaired episodes but the venue he did in Phoenix was 21+ so my high school rear end wasn't gonna get to get in.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Inspector Gesicht posted:

With Hey Arnold, Invader Zim, and Rocko all getting belated closure it is important to appreciate that the complete shitstain who developed Ren and Stimpy will never be vindicated, nor will anyone revive his work. Apropos of nothing, gently caress him. gently caress the guy who did Fairly Oddparents too.

What's wrong with Butch Hartman? And yeah gently caress Krisfaluci.

Edit: Never mind, looked it up. Yeah gently caress him too.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

doomrider7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0rGg32k9LI

edit: this doesn't really explain it, I just like this video

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

doomrider7 posted:

Turns out he's a right wing christian
Not sure if he outright said the quiet part of being that kind of person loud like Doug Tenapel has, and he has definitely not caused the hurt John K did, but in 2019 right wing christian's can get hosed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0rGg32k9LI

edit: this doesn't really explain it, I just like this video

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Turns out he's a right wing christian
Not sure if he outright said the quiet part of being that kind of person loud like Doug Tenapel has, and he has definitely not caused the hurt John K did, but in 2019 right wing christian's can get hosed.

Found a list and even without that he'd still be a loving rear end in a top hat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The only thing I disliked from.Florpus was the extremely Justin Roiland voice for cookbot. That's Adam Carolla in Wreck-It Ralph levels of get the gently caress out of here.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FilthyImp posted:

The only thing I disliked from.Florpus was the extremely Justin Roiland voice for cookbot. That's Adam Carolla in Wreck-It Ralph levels of get the gently caress out of here.

didn't we talk about in this thread how Clembrain was designed with being voiced by Roiland in mind, but Roiland was too busy so he only had enough time to do some minor side voices like the cookbot, or was that in the TV IV kids show thread?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FilthyImp posted:

It rules sorry.

Justin’s goofy rear end voice makes everything better.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I said it in the other thread but Justin Roiland's voice cracks me up no matter which character. Morty, Lemongrab, Blendin, the Zim robot, Doop Doop, etc. It's the same voice but it gets me every time

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So, uh... did a bloody Gir frame make it in?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

Justin’s goofy rear end voice makes everything better.
His goofy rear end voice being the same is starting to grate on me. But that's mostly because of the anecdote that he did one of those 'autistic screeching ' things during a staff fight in the Meeseeks voice and now that's all I hear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s hilarious and I wish I had that clip lmao

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish Roiland voiced a GPS so you could listen to his loud panicked mumblings while you drive.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FilthyImp posted:

His goofy rear end voice being the same is starting to grate on me. But that's mostly because of the anecdote that he did one of those 'autistic screeching ' things during a staff fight in the Meeseeks voice and now that's all I hear.

i would be willing to bet a hojillion dollars that Roiland is a guy who uses ableist slurs a lot, and also that if you were to tell/ask him to stop, he'd call you one, possibly in a very offensive voice. (edit: that still sounds remarkably like all of his other voices)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uh huh

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

That’s hilarious and I wish I had that clip lmao
Best I can do, bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9JBTSLk2I

The way I heard it was he had a weirdo meltdown in the middle of a long argument about plotting and just started making an exasperated sound that grew into Meeseeks pleading.

Also sorry about the previous descriptor I used.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish Roiland voiced a GPS so you could listen to his loud panicked mumblings while you drive.

You-you-you-you have to turn right up here! Aw man you missed the turn!! AW GEEZE

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jon K revived it himself in 2005 and pissed away whatever goodwill he had left.
From what I hear, Spike TV wanted it to be really “adult” and forced his hand. Although his inability to meet his deadlines would have inevitably doomed. There’s reasons he’s gotten like, no major work, since Nickelodeon, and that’s before he was outed as a pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pants Donkey posted:

From what I hear, Spike TV wanted it to be really “adult” and forced his hand. Although his inability to meet his deadlines would have inevitably doomed. There’s reasons he’s gotten like, no major work, since Nickelodeon, and that’s before he was outed as a pedophile.

I had heard he had full 100% creative control so technically it was all still on him.