Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

From what I hear, Spike TV wanted it to be really “adult” and forced his hand. Although his inability to meet his deadlines would have inevitably doomed. There’s reasons he’s gotten like, no major work, since Nickelodeon, and that’s before he was outed as a pedophile.

Nah. All you have to do is look at the other stuff he did to know that all Spike did was let him go unfiltered. I used to be huge into Ren & Stimpy in college and even made a fan site at the time (because I was getting into web design at the time and I might as well make a site about something I liked). If you have to look up examples, look up Jimmy The Idiot Boy or George American Liquor (which is also what got him fired). The dude was always a sleeze with woman, and that definitely showed up in the revival show.

Then he took way too long to animate some episodes and that's what killed the revival. (And I can imagine low rating. God it was loving horrible.)

Plus, he only did like the first season of 5 for the original Nick series. Nick made a studio to continue the show after they fired him, and that made the bulk of the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Boo boo runs wild and ranger smith were when I realized John K wasn't some god of animation and comedy.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

He's also a pretty elitist prick when it comes to animation before him.

But yeah, one of the big reasons Jon K got let go wasn't because of how he kept skirting the line, but because he can't keep a schedule to save his life.

With all the scummy poo poo, good riddance.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

Boo boo runs wild and ranger smith were when I realized John K wasn't some god of animation and comedy.

I swear that Adult Swim kept Boo Boo Runs Wild on hand for whenever they wanted to screw with their own viewers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah early Ren & Stimpy was good in spite of John K, not because of him. Without the restrictions Nickelodeon placed on the show you get something that is barely watchable (I think the Spike TV revival only lasted about 3-4 episodes before being mercifully shitcanned).

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Larryb posted:

Yeah early Ren & Stimpy was good in spite of John K, not because of him. Without the restrictions Nickelodeon placed on the show you get something that is barely watchable (I think the Spike TV revival only lasted about 3-4 episodes before being mercifully shitcanned).
Everyone ITT needs to read Sick Little Monkeys. It's excellent. The thing that keeps me a fan of R&S in spite of JohnK is how much of a dream team the original crew was. Bob Camp alone practically deserves to be canonized.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So D23 is this weekend, right? I genuinely wanna know what WDAS is doing beyond Frozen 2. While I not-even-remotely-secretly hope for a Zoo2pia, I really wanna see some not-sequels already; Moana feels like so long ago.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shadow Hog posted:

So D23 is this weekend, right? I genuinely wanna know what WDAS is doing beyond Frozen 2. While I not-even-remotely-secretly hope for a Zoo2pia, I really wanna see some not-sequels already; Moana feels like so long ago.

You’ll take your Big Hero 7 and Tangled 2 and like it!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If we had to have remakebootquels, I’d love a new anthropomorphic Robin Hood movie in full Zootopia-style cg animation but with a plot this time and bringing in the modern Disney flair for big action adventures with lots of exciting setpieces.

I’d also really like to see a Rescuers 3 for some reason? An actual sequel with the same characters and everything, but in the modern animation style. Just Bernard and Miss Bianca going on another adventure. That’d be cool.

And of course Zootopia 2 is my number one most wanted film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shadow Hog posted:

So D23 is this weekend, right?
Oh man, there's gonna be a :spidey: sized shadow over the whole weekend.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
If they made Robin Hood today, the characters would storm the castle and learn that the turtle kid was behind it all and not Prince John

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Into the Spider-verse opens up the possibility that maybe the next time we see Tom Holland, he'll be Peter Parker, just not MCU Peter, but good luck trying to explain that to the average movie goer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hiddenriverninja posted:

Into the Spider-verse opens up the possibility that maybe the next time we see Tom Holland, he'll be Peter Parker, just not MCU Peter, but good luck trying to explain that to the average movie goer.

The average movie goer might not get it but all the same they will not care.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Is Tom Holland a spider man character or an actor? I don't follow this stuff.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Average Movie goes sees movie about Evil-Purple-Superman using a magic glove to control magic rocks to eradicate half of living beings in the universe. Some of these rocks come from: A British robot's head... A wizard's jewelry... and a former Nazi who now makes faustian deals. They then see the sequel where the superheroes use the power of shrinking to travel back in time to get the magic rocks but not the same magic rocks. A solider frozen in ice uses the literal God of Thunder's hammer to beat up Evil-Purple-Superman before an army composed of the displaced people of Asgard, an army of magic people, and the armies of a secret Futurist Utopia and Cool-Lady-Superman comes in the middle of the battle to help out as well.

Internet asks in the year of our lord 2019, but will the average movie goer get it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Silver Snail posted:

He’s MCU live-action Spidey’s current actor, yeah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timeless Appeal posted:

Average Movie goes sees movie about Evil-Purple-Superman using a magic glove to control magic rocks to eradicate half of living beings in the universe. Some of these rocks come from: A British robot's head... A wizard's jewelry... and a former Nazi who now makes faustian deals. They then see the sequel where the superheroes use the power of shrinking to travel back in time to get the magic rocks but not the same magic rocks. A solider frozen in ice uses the literal God of Thunder's hammer to beat up Evil-Purple-Superman before an army composed of the displaced people of Asgard, an army of magic people, and the armies of a secret Futurist Utopia and Cool-Lady-Superman comes in the middle of the battle to help out as well.

Internet asks in the year of our lord 2019, but will the average movie goer get it?

i mean if you just throw all that together without spending 11 years setting each individual piece up you end up with, like, Gods of Egypt, which... nobody got, especially not average movie goers

e: like if you ease people into weird nonsense, they're usually on board, but if you just throw them in the deep end they go "what the gently caress is this poo poo" and run, as a general rule

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Silver Snail posted:

Tom Holland is the director of Thinner and Fright Night.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean if you just throw all that together without spending 11 years setting each individual piece up you end up with, like, Gods of Egypt, which... nobody got, especially not average movie goers

e: like if you ease people into weird nonsense, they're usually on board, but if you just throw them in the deep end they go "what the gently caress is this poo poo" and run, as a general rule
I mean the original post I was responding to was about how Sony already released a popular and Academy Award winning movie about multiple dimensions and multiple versions of Spider-Man, but people still wouldn't get there being another version of Spider-Man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

You’ll take your Big Hero 7 and Tangled 2 and like it!

I mean... I'd take Tangled 2... :shobon:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tom Holland is the director of Thinner and Fright Night.

And Child’s Play!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just discovered that my local Netflix added Spider-man Into the Spideyverse.

It took me a long time to realize it though, because they decided to translate the title and it's now called Spider-man a new universe.

I'm currently still baffled why they decided to completely change the title.

But, my netflix list of stuff to watch keeps growing! :confuoot:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Darth TNT posted:

I just discovered that my local Netflix added Spider-man Into the Spideyverse.

It took me a long time to realize it though, because they decided to translate the title and it's now called Spider-man a new universe.

I'm currently still baffled why they decided to completely change the title.

But, my netflix list of stuff to watch keeps growing! :confuoot:

Arañaverso was right there

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I mean... I'd take Tangled 2... :shobon:

Watch the TV series. It’s better than it has any right to be. Probably the best sequel to a Disney princess movie.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone who follows any animation groups on FB has probably seen it already, but this here's some solid tits and a true pro click that's well worth your time. Just try not to get too depressed once it hits 1964 or thereabouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu8lEoIF894

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/status/1165340986857283584?s=19
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/status/1165341603055095808?s=19
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/status/1165343554673053697?s=19

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm pretty bored of Pixar fare tbh. Raya looks neat.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

They took the Adventure time Unicorn thing and made their own spin on How to Train a Dragon eh?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

teagone posted:

I knew about Onward, but apparently they also talked about this one called Soul there that I hadn't heard of, about a guy who wants to get his big break in jazz and, just as he gets it, apparently dies, and then his soul is trying to return to Earth to un-die or something. The concept reminds me a little too much of Coco, at least for how soon after Coco it's coming.

Music by Jon Batiste and Trent Reznor, though. I'm not well-versed in NIИ music, so as far as I know this means we're getting a Pixar movie with a soundtrack like Quake's.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I knew about Onward, but apparently they also talked about this one called Soul there that I hadn't heard of, about a guy who wants to get his big break in jazz and, just as he gets it, apparently dies, and then his soul is trying to return to Earth to un-die or something. The concept reminds me a little too much of Coco, at least for how soon after Coco it's coming.
What's funny is their original sell on it sounded too much like Inside Out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

teagone posted:

Not gonna lie, had to look up Onward again to figure which one it was. Like I enjoy their movies and Raya looks like great fun, but this why I tend to find myself gravitating more towards stuff like The Secret Life of Pets or Angry Birds in that offer some levity and are mostly comedic films. The moveis look great, but it's just starting to feel like they're digging into the same soul search well and that's getting tiring. Not sure how else I can put it into words, but yeah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Music by Jon Batiste and Trent Reznor, though. I'm not well-versed in NIИ music, so as far as I know this means we're getting a Pixar movie with a soundtrack like Quake's.

Most of Reznor's score work is super chill and sounds like Ghosts I-IV, so you might be a little disappointed.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I just saw Weathering With You, Makato Shinkai's follow up to Your Name. It's another teen romance with supernatural elements, and pretty similar in feel. The romance aspect feels better, in that they at least spend some time together. Characters are still generic anime boy and girl in personality, but due to plotting it feels at least a little better. I was sold on the drama and action a bit better than in Your Name, and there are definitely some neat visuals.

But as to the negative: it has a bunch of vague climate change denial messaging. Well, not necessarily denial, but denial that it matters. At two points it is stated that the changed climate and wild weather (caused by the supernatural element of the story, connected to the characters actions) isnt a new phenomena or strange, it's just weather patterns on a larger timescale than what humans are used to.

In order to save the main girl's life they make a decision that leaves Tokyo permanently and completely flooded, with an implication that they could undo it if she gave up her life again. They choose not and decide it's completely worth it and it doesn't matter anyway (with one character telling them it is egocentric to think they caused the weather and another reiterating that Tokyo used to be a bay anyway). I really can't help but see this as a metaphor for climate change with the moral being that you should live selfishly. There are some real suss lines in there, things along the lines of "It doesn't matter so long as we can keep living like this".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Re: Soul -- That's super interesting and definitely has me more hyped for this movie, even though it sounds like a retread of Coco and even though I'm an advocate for Pixar chilling out and doing something silly for once. Reznor's soundtrack work, even at its brightest, has still been really on the chill side, so it'll be interesting to see what this turns into. The latest NIN record was actually full of weird saxophone stuff, so the possibilities are endless.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Moon Atari posted:

I just saw Weathering With You, Makato Shinkai's follow up to Your Name. It's another teen romance with supernatural elements, and pretty similar in feel. The romance aspect feels better, in that they at least spend some time together. Characters are still generic anime boy and girl in personality, but due to plotting it feels at least a little better. I was sold on the drama and action a bit better than in Your Name, and there are definitely some neat visuals.

But as to the negative: it has a bunch of vague climate change denial messaging. Well, not necessarily denial, but denial that it matters. At two points it is stated that the changed climate and wild weather (caused by the supernatural element of the story, connected to the characters actions) isnt a new phenomena or strange, it's just weather patterns on a larger timescale than what humans are used to.

In order to save the main girl's life they make a decision that leaves Tokyo permanently and completely flooded, with an implication that they could undo it if she gave up her life again. They choose not and decide it's completely worth it and it doesn't matter anyway (with one character telling them it is egocentric to think they caused the weather and another reiterating that Tokyo used to be a bay anyway). I really can't help but see this as a metaphor for climate change with the moral being that you should live selfishly. There are some real suss lines in there, things along the lines of "It doesn't matter so long as we can keep living like this".

This is pretty much what I suspected. Definitely avoiding Shinkai movies at this point.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Thinking about it more, i might actually retract my positive points. The only thing that is better is that the main couple actually spend some time together. Beneath its slick production the writing is both extremely lazy and sloppy, full of coincidence and convenience. It's all paperthin. For instance, main guy is an extremely determined runaway and it's never explained why, it's just that the plot needs him to be. Main girl's mother having died recently doesn't seem to affect her emotionally at all, it's just kind of there to justify the plot beats they need to hit.

It's incredibly similar to Your Name, which was already very generic anime stuff, but may actually have been stronger for its simplicity. This tries to do a little bit more but delivers poorly. To be honest I only bothered to see it because reviews mentioned "timely images of environmental/climate disaster" so I thought it might be a climate change movie, which it kind of is but not in the way I want.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Moon Atari posted:

Wow, what the gently caress.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Moon Atari posted:

This is just the ending to the game Life is Strange, lol.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vandar posted:

This is just the ending to the game Life is Strange, lol.
well, that's not an implication in LIS, that's literally what happens(the reversal) if you choose the town over her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The difference is that in LiS that ending is clearly intended to be the bad ending though. Even if you pick it as 'true to the character', the game doesn't sugarcoat the idea that as a result, basically everyone dies. And in the sequel comic following that ending, time continues to break down and Max is forced to go back in time and change things anyway.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 26, 2019