Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm screaming already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

big dyke energy posted:

The costumes in Cinderella are good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGGbT5HGxY

Augh! Look at that! That's such an amazing dress, and the extras look amazing too!

Because Cinderella was good for some weird reason. The rest are so loving bad.

Seriously, the Cinderella is not only the one good live-action remake, it's substantially better than the original. Really great. But just that one?? Why??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nerdman42 posted:

Well, Cinderella was the first of these remakes since 101 Dalmatians, right? I think it had a lot more to prove to audiences/Disney and the people behind it probably wanted to make sure everything worked so it met those demands.

The rest already know live action remakes are profitable and probably don't think they need to work as hard on the same aspects. They choose to focus more on addressing people's problems with the original movies, even if they weren't actually problems to begin with.

No, Cinderella was mid-pack. However, it had Kenneth Branagh as director instead of the absolutely talentless fuckwad Jon Favreau.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

the thing is that I heard of all of the other modern live action disney remakes: Maleficent, Jungle Book, BatB, Christopher Robin (though I never realized it already came out :psyduck:), and the upcoming ones, but I straight up never heard of Cinderella, which is apparently the best of the lot

They tried to bury it because it introduced the horrific notion and standard of being good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

This seems surprisingly dodgy. The crediting systems in place around films and things have always seemed really rigid, I would have thought if your designs were used for something you'd get credit for it

https://twitter.com/peterdeseve/status/1080637927531655168?s=19

(I haven't actually seen the short - I should, I love Australian animals)

Normally I'm skeptical of these, but this one is pretty obvious, and Bilby felt very much like a repurposing of another plan (which a cursory look at Larrikins promo material shows it is). I hope he gets credit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Really?? Because the trailer made it look like absolute poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A good sequel is an exact rehash of the previous film but with more poo poo crowding the frame.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
me: *trying to re-watch Boxtrolls* genocide is always wrong, but if it ever weren't wrong, it's that there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hated Rent even as a youth. imho this is the best predictor of someone's future employability.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Treating people inhumanely is fine, but they were disdainful of property rights and I won't stand for it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
0 minutes until eviction you parasite !!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pospysyl posted:

I like how obvious it is that she didn't read the book.

The book's kind of irrelevant to whether or not the Disney adaptation works.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It'll probably go to Isle of Dogs but should legitimately go to Spiderverse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

I would also have been happy with Vince Staples’ Home. That’s a good track.

That track SLAYS and I can't believe it's the second (third?) credits song.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Your name was a complete piece of horseshit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's probably why

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't generally like anime, which is why I hate Your Name, which is archtypical anime and in no way remarkable for the genre.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Remember that character who did nothing and was basically just The Main Character's Girlfriend and had no actual impact on the story or really took part in anything and her later absence wasn't missed at all?

Well SHE'S BACK MOTHERFUCKERS

https://twitter.com/toystory/status/1089931111810195456

remember that good thing in 1995? you motherfucking milk that teat. u milk it for every drop!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Batman: Future Highschool is the best batman spinoff property ever made and this film will assuredly suck and dissapoint me in new and previously unfathomable ways.

I'm actually very fond of LEGO Batman.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Animation is a way better medium for superhero shows than live action shows. Also most of the shows are terrible, except for the Tick.

The Tick is phenomenal. You can just write "CHA" somewhere and I'll laugh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TAS is great. oh wait you're talking about not star-trek. whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was telling everybody that boss baby was pretty good, no one believe me!

I mean it's not totally fantastic plot wise, but it is relatively funny, and the visuals are incredible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It sounds like a sequel retread where you do the same poo poo from last time but with more stuff on the screen, with like 45 seconds of poignancy so it can feel like a grown-up movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I'm still annoyed the second pulls a "gently caress what you want, you gotta follow ~tradition~" bullshit with Hiccup having to become chieftain despite the fact that he neither has the desire nor temperament for it, and Hello Astrid! Astrid is right loving there and she showed much better aptitude for it, and you know the two are gonna hook up so there isn't even a matter of lineage, marry her, let her be Chieftain while he becomes the village Dragon Shaman/Scholar.

This still bothers me tremendously.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
whatever, panda 3 is boring and that is its biggest flaw.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I, a teen girl, heard rough things about him at Anime Expo.... 2006? Shameful days.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Queen Combat posted:

Holy loving poo poo this all looks terrible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The film has so much CG in it already, they should have just made it a 3d animated film.

it would be cool if they brought 2d back and made a 2d animated aladdin film

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

So no one’s going to talk about how terrible Will Smith’s face Photoshopped onto a blue CGI potato looks?

it looks like a video game

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cinderella is the good one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will refer back to my very important and extremely insightful Jumanji thread, for the original Jumanji, the actually good Jumanji, the Jumanji that is better than most modern day Oscar winners, as proof of the degradation of the cinematic arts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

i have now seen trailers for all three of the live-action Disney remakes coming out this year and despite the very good cast for The Lion King and how much I dislike everything Tim Burton has done in the last 20 years (except Sweeney Todd), the Dumbo remake looks the most interesting to me, because it's not just taking everything we know and love and translating it with some slightly staid production design into live action, it's really forging it's own path. It takes what will work from the original in a live action movie today, discards what doesn't (goodbye, racist crows!), and kinda forges its own path. Sure, adding Eva Green and a romance may be Tim Burton Tim Burton-ing all over, but the Circus designs are wonderful and original and Michael Keaton and Danny Devito look like the perfect half-way mark between real people and real-life cartoon characters.

In short, I don't know what I'm gonna get out of Dumbo, but i know exactly what I'm gonna get out of the other two.

*prays to God something will suck at least in an interesting way*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pigbuster posted:

Two things I took away from that teaser: Aladdin looks ridiculous with Abu on his shoulder, it’s like a perfect example of something being just fine as a cartoon but absurd in real life. Abu in general just rubs me completely the wrong way. The second thing is that glimpse at the Prince Ali segment looks pathetic. That sequence in the original is absurdly bombast and exciting; that shot makes it look like an orderly state fair parade.

Yeah it literally looks literally... cheap

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
again, Cinderella didn't, despite being one of the actual cheaper ones. I think it was literally a better movie because Disney felt they "had" to make Cinderella but don't really care about it as a property (compared to Aladdin, which they are loving up)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Whoa. I completely forgot I saw the live action beauty and the beast in the theater. I didn't think it was ghastly or anything but totally forgetting I saw it in theaters or that I saw it at all probably says a lot on how memorable it was

Your brain protected you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea Toy Story 1 is pretty empty can’t fault it too much though since it was like the first full length 3D animated movie.

Ah gently caress you!! It's the only good Pixar film!!

And Woody realizing he actually isn't as good as Buzz and Andy is right to love Buzz more is an incredibly mature, painful moment that the sequels hosed up but it's RAW.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Well it certainly looks great visually so far

The color balance is fantastic

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

golden bells posted:

There's been enough time since Frozen fever passed--I'm hyped for it

Agreed, which makes me wonder if that's why they only started hyping it now, they knew there was pushback from its extreme exposure for so many years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's going to turn out the winter powers aren't a curse and there's one for every season like in the surprisingly good tinker bell films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

anatomi posted:

Oof. Ralph Breaks the Internet was loving dire. Every emotional plot beat felt so goddamn insincere. Did the writers really expect the audience to engage with mega corporations like they did with old video games? All that product placement, yikes...

It's a shame, because once or twice the movie came so close to doing something creative with the central concept (e.g. Spamley's place in the lovely lower levels).

I agree, I thought it was dead awful.

Beachcomber posted:

Pick is your new av drunk/hungover Jadzia?

yes I have been running an extreme star trek high for like 9 months