Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Disney cancelled their live action Pinocchio remake (that would have had plenty of cgi animation.)

Netflix is still making theirs, which Del Toro is directing.

Disappointing to hear the last Dragons is not super great. I could kinda tell from the trailers that I wasn't going to love it but I was hoping after a really lackluster second movie that they would pull out all the stops for the third. Sounds like they did that visually but that the story is still ehhh. Granted, the bit in the trailer with the Light Fury and the "I will destroy everything you love" villain were some red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish I could've seen the Broly movie in Japanese. Every line is basically exposition and it probably would've felt less obnoxious in another language. Watching it in English I was burrowing deeper into the chair every time a character would reiterate "King Vegeta wants to get rid of Broly because his battle power is higher than the King's son!" or some other nugget of wisdom that had already been stated three or four times thus far. They don't even vary the word choice.

Visually though there's some great stuff in the fight scenes, and one scene in particular where they must have seen the Dr. Strange sequences and gone "We gotta do that, but Dragon Ball style!"

The plot is fine, it's just executed badly.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I must be taking crazy pills because I don’t get why people like Broly. I’m core Dbz demographic, I grew up on the show and rented vhs tapes of Buu saga before it hit Toonami, all that stuff. Broly was just everyone talking in exposition all the time, some forced pathos, and some pretty fight animation. It all just felt so awkward.

Anyway here’s an interesting anime thing. A recently rediscovered film that had some legends of anime work on it, but hardly saw the light of day until now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1088283709948784641

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The fights were really cool except they switch to CGI mid-way through. I wasn't sure if that's because they ran out of animators, or it's a way to put some RnD budget into getting more out of their CG department in the future, or they thought they could do more dynamic camera angles with CGI.

The hand-drawn stuff was grade A though, the best DBZ has ever looked. I'll probably watch it again once it's subtitled to see if that makes the dialogue sound more natural.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The level of anime style Cg they’re at now where if I saw it in a video game cutscene I’d think it looks amazing. But in a film context I don’t like it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Goddamn I hope that happens and Imageworks does it. Return of the Joker is one of my favorite animated films because Batman Beyond with good animation is just top notch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

TAS had some great episodes but for every Heart of Ice you also had one like the little girl crime lord or the dickensian orphans living in the sewers, people forget how une ven it was even in its prime. And there's the entire back half of the show done in a completely different, worse art style that most people just pretend didn't count.

Hey that part of the show had an awesome Scarecrow design and that great crossover with Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaMoWmD2vE

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I always thought it was kind of weird they made it out to be a bad thing, given it didn't negatively effect the kids.

The episode that always kind of hits me hard was the 'parents freak out and send their kids to what turned out to be a brainwashing facility due to one kid flipping out' - like any kid who didn't fit the outgoing, good kid mold post-columbine had felt the stink eye of teachers who expected the worst. I did like the nice touch of Chelesa's dad trying to apologize but she rightfully storms off past him, because good intentions or not - he had shown he didn't trust her by sending her there in the first place.

That's a great episode. A lot more exciting that the average episode since Batman is going against a system as opposed to just another dude in a costume. And a reminder of how little power teenagers have in society.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait Dragons 3 is worse that Dragons 2? The movie that left me with a profound sense of disappointment at the potential wasted? Nooo...

I have heard so many animation directors (okay, like 3) go on about how Dean DeBlois is a genius, how he thinks about story in a next-level way, that he's one of the finest animated film-makers working today. All this makes me think is that animation in the west has attracted startlingly few genuine story talents or that those animation directors do not know what makes a good story.

Dragons 2 was a story in which multiple character arc were dropped part way through, giving them nothing to do for the remainder. Where the villain's motivations, backstory, and even ultimate fate were vague. And where the overall message boiled down to "sometimes you just gotta be more alpha than the person you disagree with, and then beat 'em up!" as opposed to challenging an entrenched philosophy like the first movie did.

Bleh.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafagrassetti/status/1094854201480380416

The above shows If they had been a little more lenient with the photorealism and used Will Smiths mocap and acting data as a basis for a full Cg character then we might get something interesting. But they wanted the likeness they were paying for so instead we got this combo montrosity.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Going back to Frozen 2 what would Fall powers even be? The power to wither things?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Click to see the replies. It’s priceless.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/1096480893982658561?fbclid=IwAR2138lB-YixMLJq7NRgt0sQz07Aj6PuDIAWYrI-jzfnk22-uCtn-ctYKB8

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The setting definitely doesn’t feel as inspired, since it’s coming from a lot of previous fantasy work inspirations as opposed to real cultures that inspired the Avatar civilizations.
We have a thread for The Dragon Prince in the tv part of the forum if people wanna do any deep discussion of it there.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All the humans in the 3D mewtwo movie look like cursed dolls.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Robert Valley style in the Zima Blue short is incredibly good. The story itself seemed a little weak, the twist was like “uh, okay”. The following short is incredibly trashy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I can kinda see why Paramount was desperate enough to hire Lasseter if Wonder Park is the kind of movie they’re currently producing.

Poor Ilion. First they make Animal Crackers that never got released, and now they finish a movie without a director.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The new Fate movie is incredibly well animated with some slow motion scenes done on ones and one of the longest and most intense fight scenes ever animated. Unfortunately it’s also completely unintelligible for anyone who hasnt seen both the first movie and the 25 episode Unlimited Blade Works series. And the content is bound to annoy and or repulse a good chunk of people.

The fight scene from the first movie is still a thing of beauty if you want a taste: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdI3m-TXkKM

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

First cg animated movie I’ve been excited for since Spider-verse.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickTOsborne/status/1108543772906962944

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The studio that’s doing DragonQuest previously worked on a Cg Doraemon movie that looked pretty good.

I’ve played DQV twice so I’m reasonably excited for that film. Bet the main character won’t end up picking the wife that verbally abuses him and makes him sleep on the floor though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sonic is just all about the gameplay. City Escape from Adventure 2 is such a satisfying level.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I don't think a lot of the voices are very good at all, Wednesday and Moriticia especially don't sound right to me. Morticia's voice doesn't sound like it goes with the character at all.

However this trailer did relieve one fear I had which was I was worried they weren't going to stick to what makes Addams Family so good: The fact that the family loves each other a lot, and Morticia and Gomez are a loving couple. That's the one thing they had to get right above anything else or it's not Addams Family

edit: Wednesday's pigtails being nooses are a nice touch though

Yeah it’s the voices that are off for me. But I have a lot of attachment to the 90s movie voices.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Missing Link is a hard sell. The yeti is not cute, so it seems you’re going to get a Paddington type story without the benefit of a cute bear, and instead be looking at a kind of unsettling small eyed big nose portly thing.
Combine that with the lack of conflict in the trailer and I didn’t really have any desire to see it.

The period setting is kinda cool but I’ve been burned by that before (Boxtrolls, Steamboy, etc)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pick posted:

It's super explicitly about how that era was poo poo and the old white guys in it were poo poo.

This was the only trailer I saw for it, which was pretty much “look at this big galoot! He’ll sure have trouble fitting in!”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ZN9mRUOuw

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not seeing that movie without at least one Crush 40 song.

Also
https://mobile.twitter.com/buzz_clik/status/1123377328455704576

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 1, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn’t have cable as a kid so I never saw Rocko but it sounds great.

This Twitter is awesome, Lost and Cancelled Media which has a ton of concept art and tests for animated movies that never got made. Lots of more adult projects and darker tones that executives balked at. As well as a few films that looked horrible and I’m glad never got made, and one which got completed before the producer stole the hard drive because he was too ashamed of the film.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtofLostandCan

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Fun, kinda dumb movie. They really knew the source franchise though which is a welcome change from every other video game movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Medusa has some amazing little mannerisms. It’s a really forgotten film otherwise, but that makeup scene is classic.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of Monsters Inc

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtofLostandCan/status/1134502774153076736

This is from when Disney formed their own off brand Pixar to produce Pixar content before they actually owned the company. None of those movies were ever made, and that department was later transferred to Disney’s own Cg studio.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Frozen and Frozen 2 both look like movies that were way cheaper to make than some of the other big Disney properties (like Big Hero 6). A few characters walking around sparsely populated settings. Maybe they are spending money on stuff I'm not noticing, like spending a ton of extra time on the nuances of character animation or the snow and water simulation, etc.

But Frozen had a solid plot, great designs, and top notch songs. Hopefully they can match that in the second.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve heard good things about Toy Story 4. Was Lasseter directly involv d at all? Kinda want to avoid his last Pixar thing

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 16, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I loved the behind the scenes. Since it was ilm they approached it in a bit more vfx-y way and the animators already knew a ton about creature movement but then they got to flex their lesser used character animation muscles with the help of live action ref of all the Hollywood actors doing the scenes. Usually on an animated film you just get ref of the actors in a sound booth which gives some acting ideas but not much. With the full blown reference they had more time to decide “how would Johnny Depps acting translate to this creature” instead of having to first come up with the performance from scratch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m really looking forward to seeing that movie around the same time I get my hands on Dragon quest 11 for Switch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Turns out the answer to the important question is to not sue your employer for wage fixing and other anti trust violations. Weird message, but I guess it’s write what you know.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

somnambulist posted:

https://youtu.be/TB8eEq33Z1Q

The clip in the tweet was the bit that starts at :06 in this one.

You absolutely cannot tell the emotion from their expressions, and she is not a pro voice actor so...

Big waste of render times

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

new trailer for the Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxN76J9na7E

honestly i feel like this looks way better than the last trailer did. It still looks kinda video game-y but it just looks like they added another few levels of polish, especially to the effects shots.

Ah another movie that is like the original only worse!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All I can think about is how annoying that shot would be to animate. Long take with characters changing speeds and gait patterns and crossing each other.

But yeah nothing doing on those faces. I mean I’m sure tons of subtle stuff and muscle simulation but on a phone screen It’s totally unreadable

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s very hard to get a clear line of action on a vfx rig where everything will get fur and muscle simulation afterwards, plus they’re afraid to hold a pose cause it can break the realistic illusion. So not even the body can service the acting much

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7jrQQK3Mc

Luckily Japan is here to make us appreciate how much worse and uncanny photorealism applied to old cartoons can look.

Man this looks great

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Wait, I just came off a 3D show and we did photorealistic hair and skin on cartoony characters. Actually, I think the only people not doing that are preschool shows. That's why Merida's hair and the great grandma in Coco were such a big deal.

They even use xgen hair and simple cfx on preschool shows now if the style calls for it. It’s basically the standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The vfx supervisor for Lion King was Adam Valdez, who also supervised Jungle Book. If you’re interested in the process that goes into making these movies and the sheer amount of stuff the ppl at the top have to consider, this is worth a watch: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63n6TD83kNc

Their eyes are so trained and need to be able to pick up issues on a per pixel basis and be able to identify what department is responsible for the issue. In 2d animation the problem would be “the drawing isn’t working” but in cg it could be an issue with the rig or animation or muscle and fur simulations or lighting or compositing. Just tracking that down through myriad overlapping departments is a headache and a half.