Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just thought I'd let you know I got some more of those Twisted/Villain's Tales books for Christmas(Reflection, the Mulan AU was the former). Read Poor Unfortunate Souls, wasn't as good as Reflection but had it's moments.

I thought that aspects of it were neat because it tied a lot of the characters into other stories, like the Odd Sisters (three witches) had an estranged sister Circe who's heart was broken by Prince Adam, so one of her sisters cursed him with the beast form after he was also an an rear end to her - there was a neat aspect to it where Circe was the only one of the sisters who physically have a heart, and one filled with love as opposed to the others who only knew hatred - however when Circe learned to hate, it was after her sister cursed her ex, and aimed at them. Something they were not emotionally equipped to deal with. She left them forever, and they spent years in mourning for their sibling, who was the only person in the world they actually cared about.
Something I don't like with it though was the ending takes Prince Eric's agency away - the reason he succeeds in killing Ursula is the Odd Sisters are manipulating him as revenge after finding out how Ursula betrayed them.

I've got a box-set of the remaining 3 twisted tales as well, so I'll be reading Whole New World at work today.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can only read Prince Adam as He-man and that sounds like a much better movie.

Adam is the generally accepted name for the Beast, I don't know where it came from as it's not mentioned in any canon materials, unless it was a backstage thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ironically the best part of Return of Mary Poppins is how good a job they do of recreating Silver Age Disney Animation.

Return is also a million times better than the rest of the live action Disney films at least for how vibrant it is, having fun muscle numbers, and the good costume design.

I'm curious if the Magic Nannies know each other. It would be fun to have Mary Poppins come to the aid of a family expecting to fix the parents as his her usual MO, only to find the kids are just as bad. "I need backup here... *pulls out phone from carpet bag* The person I need, is Nanny McPhee..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've read another of those Disney Twisted Tales, this time opting for the Aladdin variation A Whole New World, where after the cave of wonders collapses, Abu fails to steal the lamp back from Jafar at the start, forcing aladdin to dig his way out the hard way over a period of weeks in which Jafar takes over Agrabah.

Had some interesting ideas although got a bit more grimdark than the Mulan one, like Jafar trying to break the laws of magic so he can bring the dead back to life as slaves, which he does to every one who dies under his reign, including a few small children and the captain of the guard from the movie. With that there were some bittersweet moments, like the woman who finds her undead son and keeps him under control by swatting his bum with a wooden spoon whenever he goes into "Servant of Jafar" mode and scolding him with "I told you no fighting!" Also a fairly cool moment with the captain of the guard, with the one good interaction he has with Aladdin, as his undead form guards a door that Aladdin needs to get to Jafar's chambers - after initially being obstinate, like he always is, about the death toll, on finding out children are sharing his fate, he does the only thing his body will allow him to do, as he isn't allowed to disobey due to magic - drops his scimitar, and says "End this, Street Rat..."

It also has a neat twist on Jafar's final wish, where with his dying breath, he wishes that all magic dies with him. This strips the genie of all his power as well, not leaving him human, but simply a powerless dejected Djinn.

Not bad, but Reflection is still the most interesting IMO.

Of these books, I only have the Beauty and the Beast one, and the Sleeping Beauty one to go.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I feel it could have been a hilarious twist in Mulan if Shang were actually closeted. He fell in love with Ping, and when he realises she's a woman he's all "Awwww... Dammit. I thought I'd finally found someone who understood :("

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something else to bear in mind is that some of the stories aren't fully resolved yet, like the Cluster made a (partial) reappearance when the Diamond's arrived on earth and joined Steven in fighting them off which was kind of awesome:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buldx1wFgd0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I got around to reading the Sleeping Beauty Twisted Tale book and it was awesome. The idea of this one is that Maleficent has a backup plan, basically a horcrux - after her body is killed by the prince, her soul enters Aurora's body and takes over her dream, draining the life of the sleeping denizens of the castle to keep herself going and filling Aurora's head with a false backstory in which the world outside the castle was blighted by her parents and the three fairies until Maleficent came and saved the day. Because of this, when the Prince kisses Aurora, rather than pulling her out of her sleep, he is pulled into her dream.

Because of this, Aurora needs to escape the castle on her own when she realises that Maleficent is actually terrible and has been fooling everyone in the dream for years (she is 19 in the dream due to being in the castle for 3 years, but in the real world it's still only a few hours passing). When she runs into the prince (who in the dream is a stranger to her) she has become slightly wiser and ends up becoming smarter than he is, him still being fairly stupid and naive while she starts to kind of grow out of him. She also calls him out for falling in love with a girl for twirling randomly in the forest and being "nice" given she was in a euphoric state at the time due to sheer boredom. Also she ends up pissed because both her real life with the fairies and the dream world with Maleficent were both based on lies that she fell for instantly with no questioning, so she's frustrated as much with herself as with everyone else.

Ending spoilers: Because it's her dream she also realises that she can control aspects of it, so the finale involves her beating up Maleficent with the entire castle, ripping the walls down and smacking her with the rubble, then fighting the dragon form by throwing the entire forest at her, including opening chasms beneath her to force her to fall, or lifting walls of earth to intercept her movements. She also gets wonderfully condescending to Maleficent just trying to goad her because by the time of the fight she has realised her true gifts - not the garbage given to her by Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, but the gifts she was born with but had no way of practicing due to poor training/tuition, namely Intelligence, Bravery and Kindness.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finished reading through the Twisted Tales now that I've read through As Old as Time. Overall they were all entertaining reads, with Reflection and Upon a Dream being the strongest overall, but As Old as Time has interesting backstory added to the castle and it's surroundings, and A Whole New World is the most generally brutal with how far Jafar goes given the fact that he is given power over a whole city early in the story.

Basically the twists that change the course of the story are as follows:

Reflection: Shang is mortally wounded in the avalanche fight, necessitating Mulan going to the Chinese Afterlife to save him.

Upon a Dream: When the prince kisses Aurora, due to a back up plan laid by Maleficent he is pulled into her sleep instead of waking her up.

A Whole New World: Abu fails to steal the lamp back from Jafar at the cave of wonders.

As Old as Time: Belle touches the rose rather than pulling away from it in her initial foray into the West Wing, and learns that the enchantress is her mother.

Spoiler-heavy highlights of each book:

Reflection

Li Shang's stone guardian and his father show up and just own.
Mulan dealing with her ancestors and their inevitable reactions to her lies
A literal mountain of knives

Upon a Dream:

Aurora wisening up and in turn realising how stupid she used to be thanks to her upbringing, and how stupid the prince is
A singing contest in which Aurora sings so hard she damages her own throat
Aurora learning how to control the world around her, given that it's her dream.
Aurora having a condescend-off with Maleficent

(ENDING SPOILER)Aurora throwing the entire dream world at Maleficent, tearing the whole thing apart with her mind to bring her down.

A Whole New World:

A band of thieves with ideological disagreements with Aladdin
The genie's backstory, and him snapping at Jasmine a few times due to being under a lot of stress being Jafar's servant
A zombie army, given the power of flight by strips of the magic carpet cut up by Jafar

As Old as Time

Belle being wracked with guilt over completing the curse by accidentally destroying the rose, and her and the beast researching the kingdoms forgotten history to break it.[spoiler]
[spoiler]A history of magical creatures being systematically displaced by ethnic cleansing

Belle, the Enchantress and her Father escaping an asylum from within, while the Beast and Gaston team up leading the villagers in a mob to rescue her and the rest of their wrongfully imprisoned loved ones

They are all fun in their own way.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 6, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bringing up the Twisted Tales books again, they have an interesting take on the created Parades (or the people that the genie conjours to fill crowds) - they are described as being completely identical in a way that makes them very disconcerting, like 100 identical twins marching in formation. Disney has these interesting weird takes on the stories although they are for totally different age groups, and the actual adaptions are so lifeless. Use a little imagination. The only story they've done that's anywhere near what these books do is Cinderella 3 but with that movies very existence it's obvious that they can make interesting stories with established properties that fit the original age group, they just aren't.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always find the line in the original movie where Anna is wishing her sister had tropical powers kind of funny, because my god if her ice is this destructive, I would not want to see her wielding any sort of heat powers. Arendell could be thawed, but if it were burned to the ground it would have been a waaaay bigger job.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story's world also gets a bit heavy, with heartless possessing dormant toys in a toy store, meaning Woody and Buzz have to fight other toys that would easily have been friends if bought for Andy or his sister, and it hits Buzz particularly hard, with him worrying about "Well what if one of us gets got next?" Only to then be proven right when that fear weakens his heart just enough for a heartless to slip in and start controlling him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think outside of the face, the main problem I have with Sonic's movie design is that his feet are too in proportion to the rest of him in a human way - in the games and cartoons he always had exaggerated, long and pointy shoes that made him inherently look faster, in the same way a character with larger fists than normal looks like he'd punch harder - it made the part of him that worked best, his legs, look *more* than the rest of him and the length makes it look like they'd gather momentum really well, while his feet in the movie just look stubby, like they wouldn't be able to move that fast.

I did like the exchange "Is that all you got?" "No, but thankyou for asking!" though. That felt very appropriate for the characters, I could imagine that line being in Unleashed. I liked Unleashed btw.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I recently watched the series online to see if it held up and liked how many subplots Rocko had that actually went somewhere - you have Rocko himself who starts very naive, pulled into the worst excesses of capitalism initially as he has no idea how to defend against it, initially falling to anger and becoming the worst version of himself in some situations like in the grocery store episode, or completely getting hosed by hidden fees like when he gets the credit card. Then he eventually grows a thick enough skin to be able to stand up for himself properly and not only allow the best of himself to shine through but to begin to pull the best out of other people as well, like Ed Bighead, who before Rocko's truth bomb about him being in danger of losing Bev, is completely neglectful of her. Also Rocko totally rocks the Jackhammers.

Then you have Ed Bighead, a corporate drone being hammered into the ground by a cruel tyrant of a ceo who has completely bought into the company kool aid and it's basically killing him. He's a 50 year old bullfrog who looks 70 and has the energy of a 100 year old, and his job is his whole life, and he hates his job. It's only when he allows himself to relinquish control, when he accepts that his son's career choice is a good one even if it's not what he wanted for him and then when Bev temporarily does his job for him when he is badly ill due to being literally worked to death, that he begins to become a better version of himself, although still an rear end in a top hat to the end he definitely has a greater appreciation for his own family.

Filbert starts off as a pathetic man who barely leaves his trailer to work a dead end comic book job due to being afraid to face his own ambitions, but eventually gets the courage to attempt his passions of lounge singing and dentistry, although the latter flops hard. However the dentistry does get him in contact with the woman he'll spend the rest of his life with which really gives his confidence a boost. I also like that it's initally him who turns down the relationship, Hutchinson wants to try things pretty much as soon as the dentist exam is failed, but Filbert's the one who gets to say that maybe he needs some time first to gather his thoughts after getting his dream crushed. Also the sobering aspect of the subplot where on the episode where Filbert and Rocko fake marry to get Rocko a green card due to an immigration screw up, you actually see the effect that has on him and Dr Hutchinson as they spend the whole time pining for each other but unable to do anything as Filbert is, albeit temporarily, legally married already. That palpable awkwardness is brilliant.

Heffer has a subtle one about his increasing independence and the testing of the boundaries of what he is capable of and comfortable doing - initially a total manchild who is totally dependent on his family to the frustration of his father and derision of his siblngs, takes a series of jobs to try for independence - the museum failure is entirely his fault due to being too much of a child to be able to handle the post, but then the Chewy Chicken franchise goes better - until the toxic roommate shows up and brings out Heffer's worst habits, causing his restaurant chain to be shut down and forcing him to make a humiliating walk home after a catastrophic failure - however we then see him later in a stable job as a mailman which he enjoys and takes seriously while still living at home - he has found a balance that works for him.

And that's just the primary cast, there are a lot of small characters who have their own arcs or at least fleshed out running gags. I also like the payoff with Rocko's description of wallabies as being "Like a kangaroo but smaller" then he meets a Kangaroo towards the end, Sheila, who is drawn as "like a wallaby, but taller".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pokemon tends to have a divide though between someones favourite pokemon and their favourite character. Someone may not consider Mr Mime to be their favourite pokemon due to their being cool dragons and poo poo, but say their favourite pokemon is Tauros. The Tauroses in the movie were pokemon, but they weren't characters, they were just a herd of animals, so of course even if he's not their favourite pokemon, Mr Mime may turn out to be their favourite character

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Was Tauros in the movie? I thought those were all Bouffalant.

Oh, were they? I never knew Bouffalant so assumed they were Tauros.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

That's a lot of awesome words about an awesome weird-rear end show I used to watch all the time. Now I really want to binge through all of Rocko while keeping all of this in mind.

One of my wife's friends also loves Rocko. I should collect the series and send it to him as a belated birthday gift sometime.

A personal favourite subtle thing I noticed was that the series seems to suffer from the weirdness that a lot of anthropomorphic animal cartoons does relating to the fact that the animals, in many ways, still interact like animals, like the Wolfes having horse and elk for dinner given we see plenty of horses in the series that are just people like anyone else - but the series' very first gag implies that it's not doing it because it's confused, it's completely intentional - in the first gag of the series, a chicken is interviewing for a job with another chicken, and you see her recieve her uniform and nametag - then a child goes into the Chewy Chicken later in the episode and buys a kid's meal, which has her nametag stuck to it. The chickens are tricking each other into being cooked and eaten by other customers. It's intentionally hosed up because it's the ultimate visual pun relating to the capitalist hellscape that the city represents - the city of O-Town is a literal Dog-Eat-Dog world, where certainly, Virginia Wolfe may take a driving lesson from you one day, but if food is scarce, you may find her replaying you by... inviting you to dinner. And when her father finally dies... she probably won't want to waste the meat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think one of my favourite early episodes is the grocery shopping one, it's really bizarre but also probably the harshest as the premise is that Rocko's run out of money for the month and is literally starving to death, and the only hope he has is a 99% off sale at the grocery store so he can buy a weeks worth of groceries for the $2 that he has left. It ends with him just missing the sale because filbert takes too long to ring him up, and he just loses it completely, directly threatening Filbert until he changes the price back. It's the first time in the series that Rocko becomes just mean, because in all the other early episodes including this one he is a victim of the situations he finds himself in, but this time he drags someone else down with him, victimising someone that will later become one of his closest friends. It's one of the episodes where we see the otherwise good natured Rocko, who even the "How dare you" woman considers a friend in some later episodes, lose that good nature. Instead of bringing O-Town up to his level like he will later, it just drags him down to it's level.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked in the christmas party episode that the Hippo lady was happy to attend Rocko's house, given her interactions with him were historically violent on her part. It just goes to show that despite occasional harassment Rocko is still very well liked. Also that the phone tree got back to Rocko and he was able to adequately prepare for the surprising number of guests as opposed to being totally overrun like in most of those kinds of stories.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sega really doesn't know how to handle licensing at all.

Cheap Flash cartoons are. It's a tool like any other.

I have no idea what tool Tigtone was made in, only that it's loving gorgeous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Glenn Close was having fun. I loved at the end after the big slapstick fight when she finally gets arrested and her response while coated in many different farm-related fluids is "Oh? Did I do something wrong?"

It's obvious she enjoyed the part, like her reaction to being introduced to a child by his mother as Cruella in this anecdote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqHKaa6MB4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Cruella and Gaston are the two Disney villains I hate most, precisely because they embody the kind of everyday, banal villainy that exists throughout the world.

Gaston has a hilarious subplot in the Twisted Tale Beauty and the Beast book - the whole idea of the change to the story is that Belle is directly descended from the sorceress (Yup, canonically to the book, the sorceress had a thing for Maurice of all people), and in the history of the kingdom that the Beast used to preside over there was an attempted genocide of magical beings, including her. The climax involves Beast and Gaston leading a charge to save Belle from the asylum because the head of the asylum is a sadistic self-hating oracle who learned how to un-magic people by hacking away at his own brain until he couldn't see the future anymore, then applied that to everyone else. Belle escapes on her own time, saves the sorceress and all the other magical asylum denizens, and Gaston then runs the asylum master through with a machete - and the town reacts to this with horror to Gaston's confusion. Gaston's only thinking in terms of "But I defeated the bad guy... He deserved death..." and the rest of the town are on the wavelength "That may be so, but a) that's for a fair trial to determine his punishment, not one idiot, and 2) that was loving gross, you bisected a guy with a machete you lunatic, you're lucky none of us brought our kids along to this."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Both pale in comparison to the animal shelter dude who stole an ICECREAM CART for a high-speed chase.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The most interesting aspect is when Belle learns of her connection to the enchantress, because she ends up feeling really lovely about everything because due to the beast failing to get to the west wing in time, she touched the rose, which killed it immediately, so the whole story is Belle and the Beast researching his old kingdom to narrow down who the sorceress was, so they can find her and get her to undo the spell, which was a clever way to use the library. There is also a cute moment where Belle tries to teach the Beast to bake, and she asks the oven permission to use him as such, which he gives begrudgingly with a "Just this once!" stipulation. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll always like Snuff Out the Light from Kingdom of the Sun, the project that became Emperor's New Groove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374xW4zZbZA

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've always been interested in orphaned projects in general, like Danny Elfman tried to make his own movie about evil children raised by a serial killer in a carnival but no one would pick it up, so all that exists is a soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44skK7c93FI

Personal favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_4Qvdcx-h4 The serial killer calling out his lynch mob.

The story's hard to find details of, it seems the main motive for the murders is the children are trying to use them to revive their late mother. The serial killer may have started the ritual.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 28, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW I've been trying to find this super-old recently restored cartoon with a line morphing into the legs of a chicken and dancing, with the body of the chicken occasionally joining them before wandering off. It starts off with fully animated opening titles and one of the letters unfolds into the line to start the whole thing. It was reportedly Pablo Picasso's favourite work of animation. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I saw it a few months ago and forgot where.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Found it btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8yqduOJOA Hen Hop

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

The Tintin movie is really weird for me because while I like it a lot it’s in a completely different way from the comics. I like the comics for their humor and character interactions, with even the more serious moments punctuated with a joke on nearly every page. The action is mostly an afterthought to me. But the film is all about the action scenes; they’re some of the most ludicrous set pieces I’ve ever seen. I normally hate Peter Jackson’s unbelievably deadly action sequences because seeing real life people go through a Donkey Kong Country level just immediately takes me out of the film. But do the same thing with cartoon characters and I’m fully engaged. I wish Peter would do more animation because that’s where his sensibilities actually work.

It’s weird for an adaptation to so thoroughly miss what I like about a beloved series and for me to still like it anyway.

I loved the part at the end where Haddock is swordfighting with the bad guy but instead of swords they are clashing with cranes I think that was that movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got around to watching Brave Little Toaster for the first time. It was alright, although a big sluggish at first, and some of the voice actors were phoning it in. Also I found many of the songs lacking, although the spare-parts shop and junkyard were interesting setpieces. It definitely picked up towards the end, but overall, without the nostalgia factor I just didn't really feel it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hey, there's a second trailer for the nightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJhv6W_URY

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kangra posted:

Is this a family secret they only chose to reveal now, or did you just discover it by research?

They had to solve a rebus by gathering clues given to them by other family members. They just got the final piece.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

nankeen posted:

research! my paternal line got totally erased in the holocaust and i am only just piecing it together.

basically this. our surname was spelt eighteen different ways and we lived in eight different countries over the course of a decade, during which time we all died. we're krymchaks, an ethnic group that was basically annihilated and is now functionally extinct - this may shed some light not just on me, but on bakshi, who is also a krymchak and therefore haunted by thousands of unfulfilled screaming ghosts

this also happened but was unrelated

Wow, I was just making a Sabrina the Teenage Witch joke. That's rough. sorry about your family nankeen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just watched the Rocko's Modern Life movie, Static Cling. It was pretty interesting, and the subplot with Rachel Bighead was pretty interesting as the only person who made a thing out of it was Ed and he was going through a lot of shocks in a small period of time, so that last thing was just too much for him at that point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus was pretty amazing and has great animation with slight tweaks to the original style that work really well. It also goes hog wild.

And I would love to know just how many fart sounds per minute are in it.

I liked towards the end with the varying animation styles, especially when the world is tearing in two and it becomes storyboard animatics to show it's now fallen to it's most basic, fundamental form and will soon cease entirely.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I found that intro interesting because the comics did the exact same idea in the arc with the Space Donkey, so it was fun to see it in physical action (even some of the physical gags like Gaz's hosepipe shower) and then branching off in a different direction.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, and Zim was fantastic. The show hasn't skipped a beat. I kept looking for Gravelord Nito but didn't see him. I think maybe the scene had passed after I read that post.

I was worried if I'd find Gir funny now as I did when I was 13 and it turns out I do, but in small doses.

I was most surprised to find Zim and Dib's struggle to be taken seriously relatable.

I liked in Dib's little imagination sequence when he unveils Zim to the world and Gir interrupts but throwing nachos like they are confetti going "Yaaaay!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

Cartoons are a terrible medium solely for children but goddamn was Enter The Florpus a really good terrible medium solely for children. For a show that often mocked things like continuity and character development the movie did a fantastic job at giving (almost) everyone some character evolution and a bit of closure to the series (Dib understands that his family actually cares about him; Gaz becomes less of a cynical jerk; Professor Membrane is genuinely proud of his son; even Zim gets a touch of development when he realizes the Tallest aren't interested in Earth).

Also holy poo poo there is a lot of awesome little gags throughout the movie: The garage full of callbacks to earlier episodes (I recognized Pustulio, the Chickenman costume, and girl scout cookies); the news ticker ("Fatalities minimal"); a cat being arrested by police; a buncha dogs; the movie has it all. Whose dogs were those anyway?

All in all, a perfect way to cap off the show...but I wouldn't complain if there was another movie or two or a series revival or tie-in videogame or poorly-thought-out-live-action-remake-justgivememoreIneedmyfixI'llgiveyoumoneyorI'llcutyou

I loved the Sneaky mode gag.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Responding to Detective ^

Also it's not all random. There is method to the madness, or at least the performance hints at that. "Why did you empty out all the fuel?" "To make room for the tuna!" on it's own isn't funny, but it's how Gir says it, like it's such an obvious decision to make. He's almost verbally rolling his eyes, like "Why do you think you idiot!? I needed to pack the tuna, everyone can see that!" Most of the seemingly random humour comes from a character being the epitome of something, the purest form of their role and something that informs their interactions with the entire rest of the cast.

The Irkins are the ultimate capitalists, literal locusts who devour everything they come across and make it in their own lack-of-an image, who are also total idiots.

Professor Membrane isn't just a dad, he is THE Dad. He treats everyone as if they were his children, he is the WORLDS dad, to the extent of punishing the entirety of civilisation in petty ways, like "If you're going to laugh at me, no free energy for ANYONE!"

Miss Bitters is everyone's teacher, everyone was her student at some point and she treats everyone as her students to this day. Even parent's night has her talking to the parents like they are still taking her classes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also to be fair to Gaz she did have a more clear soft side in the series, but it was reserved for her father. Often if she has a major role it's based on her saving the day so that Dib can come with her to see their dad for their annual family time.. They only have a few hours a year to be physically with their father, and Gaz is not going to let Dib screw up even a second of it because her dad is a volatile idiot who may run off as soon as something sciency distracts him. She needs to squeeze every ounce of paternity out of him that she can, and she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought the best use of the lying-making -the-nose-grow thing was in the live action one from a few years ago, the one with CG Pinnochio. Didn't feel much for it overall, but it had an interesting moment where to escape Monstro, Pinnochio puts his head up his blowhole, then to stretch it out so that it's wide enough for Geppetto he starts lying his rear end off about how much he hates his dad. Then his nose eventually just snaps off due to the pressure of the whale's body and they crawl past with the nose as a support beam. Also the whale was the kidnapper from Pleasure Island after ODing on Donkey-Transformation Juice, which turned him into a whale.