Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Frank Welker as every dog or dinosaur ever in cartoons

It’s seriously impressive the vocal range this dude has. Every time my kids are watching Curious George I’m in awe that the monkey is 60+ years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

saladscooper posted:

You guys, The Boss Baby is really good. The visuals are somehow more zippy and creative than 80% of animated films released in the past decade, the narrative is a really sweet variation on the Pixar patented "two characters don't like each other but have to go on an adventure but oh now they like each other" thing, the naked babies are -

well, they're naked babies, and they're the worst thing about the movie

But yeah! The screenwriters took the conceit of a child's overactive imagination and used it to tell a faintly ridiculous yet somehow heartwarming story about a boy learning to come to terms with his baby brother. Plus Alec Baldwin really knocks it out of the park - he's downright hilarious in his first scene, and not too shabby afterwards either.

Having children I avoided this as long as I could because I thought it would be a trainwreck but it was surprisingly good. The writing is solid and the animation was well done.

The Netflix show... not so much. Convince your kids to watch something else, or just the movie again.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Shneak posted:

I've still never seen Frozen and kind of have no interest to but I want to see Frozen 2 opening day.

Having been forced to see it dozens of times it’s pretty good, considering I haven’t been driven mad. Definitely give it a watch.

Edit: I just told my daughter there’s a sequel coming and she went into exaggerated stunned silence and pratfell onto a cushioned bench.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 13, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Man I don't get this sentiment around here at all. I thought Storks was hilarious and really fun

Storks and Boss Baby are linked in my mind due to their close release time, general content, and how surprisingly okay-to-good they were considering my initial disgust/dismissal. There are definitely worse movies for children to watch repeatedly.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Considering they still have (presumably) all the other assets available, I’m surprised Pixar hasn’t gone back and given modern animation treatment to at least the first two films. They could spend minimal effort freshening things up and make a gazillion dollars on rereleasing them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I think they meant “add it on to the pre-existing area.” It’s not a bad idea, but Toy Story Land is already quite cramped in the area they have available. With The new Star Wars area opening I don’t think Hollywood Studios can handle being any busier, which is an amazing thing to type considering it had been the least popular park for a long time.

They’ve got the carnival area in Animal Kingdom which I suppose they could reskin if they wanted. Stuffed animals are animals, I guess?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Unless they want to cut into parking areas and back-lots, there's not really any space and definitely not a forest:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Yeah my daughter lost interest in the show when it bounced around but has recently picked it back up. It’s quite nice that they managed to keep all the original voice cast and I liked the animation style.

Did they keep Tambor around after his public accusals or did they drop him? It would be weird if Disney booted him from one property (Star) while keeping him here, but I don’t see anyone else credited for the role on the Wikipedia entry.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was interesting there was a band of toys who liked living “lost” but then they had dialogue about heading to a certain playground to get played with. Do those toys want kids or not? I don’t get it.

In my mind they still like it but prefer to engage in play with a sense of empowerment. They chose to engage and they choose when to leave. In my mind it’s the “siblings/friends who occasionally like to babysit” type.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

dirksteadfast posted:

It’s a little weird seeing it promoted on Netflix Kids, right next to a bunch of toddler shows. I’m not sitting here saying Rocko is “unfit for children” or anything, just unexpected.
I don’t know who configures their kid-friendly content, but there is definitely some questionable choices. If anything they need to have smaller age ranges to more appropriately sort titles. I remember when they started pitching NextGen in the same way and that is certainly not toddler stuff.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I’m really curious if they market tested the concept at all before committing to the original design. “We want to make it different/more realistic than how Sonic has been portrayed in 3D animation” is an interesting idea, but if 95% of Sonic fans just want “regular” Sonic its a really weird move.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
My kids had a look at the first episode of the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and man, I can’t believe how much of that show I remember from 30 years ago. The one thing I didn’t remember is the copious amount of dust that’s on every cell. It’s super distracting. :(

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

Just saw Frozen 2. Thought it was really strong, and goes to some interesting places thematically.

I really enjoyed it too. Although I thought it was a bit of a cop-out when Elsa saved the city. If they’d committed to the fact that change and reconciliation of the past can sometimes mean losing what you have and that can be okay it would have been a stronger message. I get that it’s a happier ending if it doesn’t (and they can have continued city antics) but the nature spirits even went out of the way to get everyone out alive, I mean c’mon.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

Charades was overall a really funny scene too, especially Anna's reaction to Olaf mimicking Elsa. I also really liked the songs in general. Just as their own thing.

Every song stands on its own pretty well, but Lost in the Woods is way better with the 80s visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Well, that’s one way to reskin a cat.