Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I honestly had to skip some of the scene of Ishigami having the students turn on him and him getting played because it hurt to watch and I knew how it went already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Xelkelvos posted:

I honestly had to skip some of the scene of Ishigami having the students turn on him and him getting played because it hurt to watch and I knew how it went already.

Same.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Xelkelvos posted:

Same. It's crazy what music and voice acting can do to a scene.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Shirogane is so goddamn good though. That's why that man wears the gold braid!

Also I liked the closure with Kyoko at the end. She's not a spiteful monster or a pure waif, she's just... kind of a dumbass. She got to avoid all the drama on Ishigami's side and just keep on being kind of a dumbass. And that was kind of refreshing in its own way. Good job protecting that smile, Ishigami!

Still yeah, the ostracism/censure stuff Ishigami went through was kinda hard to watch.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
But hey, it explains why Shirogane wasn't doing very well in the election with the first years.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Having gone through similar traumatic experiences in middle school, I have elected not to watch this episode in full. I will watch the redemption and that is all.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Kyoko did nothing wrong. With the information she had of course she hates Ishigami.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Kyoko did nothing wrong. With the information she had of course she hates Ishigami.

Showing up at his school just to twist the knife is a pretty rear end in a top hat move, though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i wept like a child while watching this ep. only things i feel were lost are in the last scene of kaguya watching ootomo, 1)the underground 'student council' who do necessary dirt, and 2)kaguya's hateful facial twitch before hayasaka brings her back down.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Coxswain Balls posted:

Showing up at his school just to twist the knife is a pretty rear end in a top hat move, though.

She was meeting up with her friends. She was going to the Middle School version of this school. She was just too dumb to pass the placement exam.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

She was meeting up with her friends. She was going to the Middle School version of this school. She was just too dumb to pass the placement exam.

I know that. She also walked up to Yu to poo poo on him and heckled him at the race, which like I said is an rear end in a top hat move. Good on him for telling her dumb rear end off.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
one other thing the episode cut was that (possible spoilers i guess if they're just moving the scene somewhere else?) iino complained to the staff about ishigami's punishment being excessive, which apparently convinced them to let him attend high school and is also what drew the student council's attention to the whole thing.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
One scene I didn't really grasp at first reading the manga but hit me hard when watching was Ishigami declaring that he'll reveal his own side of the story through the apology letter but languishing on it. As much as he wants to call himself crazy for getting involved, as much as he tells himself that Ootomo is just a random acquaintance he owed nothing to, he still can't bring himself to invite any harm on her.

Ishigami isn't dumb or crazy. He's just kind

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Inflammatory posted:

one other thing the episode cut was that (possible spoilers i guess if they're just moving the scene somewhere else?) iino complained to the staff about ishigami's punishment being excessive, which apparently convinced them to let him attend high school and is also what drew the student council's attention to the whole thing.

Some of that was in the previous episode, but only the bits from Osaragi's point of view. There was also that drawing right before the credits of this week's episode of the council starting their investigation, and I liked the softer artstyle they used for it. Seeing Chika also being in on it is sweet, because knowing what Yu's been through and helping him out, only to tease and bully him later is some powerful big sister energy.

Looking back at it the section with Miyuki's dad at the end of the last episode is a great segue into this one, especially watching it back to back. For both Kaguya and Yu they've been opening themselves up to the possibility that there are good, caring people out there, and that looking down on others isn't a healthy way to go about life. The way they portrayed that at the end of this episode was wonderful.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The manga goes into a bit more detail about how exactly the student council got involved and expands on Chika's involvement, but it's not important really.

They also dumped Kaguya idly speculating "If I told her the truth, what kind of face would she make?" with Hayasaka being alarmed at the suggestion, as well as her part in informing the shadow council. The dropped bits makes her appear coldly vindictive. Not that she's not, but the anime has softened her up some.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I suspect that they wanted the episode to focus completely on Ishigami so they dropped some other parts that they felt was unnecessary.

I'm sure the important bits will pop up later in Season 3.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Inflammatory posted:

They shuffled that one from this episode to the previous episode and let you see it through the eyes of Osaragi.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

that kinda depends on whether or not you think being a bad judge of character is a character fault in and of itself

The greater over-arching point of Shirogane, Shinomiya, and Ishigami's character arcs might be "don't be a pessimistic rear end in a top hat" but sometimes a little skepticism is very well served. Look at Fujiwara, she's the only one without big obvious psychological scars, because she nurses a healthy degree of doubt!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah but it's also a very high school thing to do.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I see a lot of people related to this episode a lot but I found this boyfriend guy a bit too over the top. He was a manipulating liar and cheating on his gf AND sharing their sex video AND threatening to beat her?? I know people like him really exist but isn't it a bit much for high school drama? He comes off like some kind of caricatural evil chad

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

macabresca posted:

I see a lot of people related to this episode a lot but I found this boyfriend guy a bit too over the top. He was a manipulating liar and cheating on his gf AND sharing their sex video AND threatening to beat her?? I know people like him really exist but isn't it a bit much for high school drama? He comes off like some kind of caricatural evil chad

This is a school for super rich people; he probably doesn't even hit the 80th percentile in terms of evil.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

macabresca posted:

He's basically Shinji. The VA even sounded similar.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's basically Shinji. The VA even sounded similar.

Who? :'D Sorry, I'm an anime noob. The only Shinji I know is Shinji Ikari

AnoHito posted:

This is a school for super rich people; he probably doesn't even hit the 80th percentile in terms of evil.

lol, fair. But it diminished the drama for me somewhat

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i know s2 isnt over yet but s3 when

also, s4 when.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Am I crazy or are his hand and forearm gigantic in these frames?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Not....really but I see where you're coming from. Like if you put your own hand to your head and compare tit to those frames then the proportions feel fine. But just looking at it first impression as a picture yeah they look kinda huge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think it's more the angle of the arm. The first screen is fine, in the later ones it doesn't look like the forearm and the shoulder meet at a reasonable elbow. So it looks like someone else is touching his face.

I'm not an expert on anatomy though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tenebrais posted:

I think it's more the angle of the arm. The first screen is fine, in the later ones it doesn't look like the forearm and the shoulder meet at a reasonable elbow. So it looks like someone else is touching his face.

I'm not an expert on anatomy though.

2-4 look like someone else is rubbing his face, while squatting just below frame with his head in Ishigami's chest.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's a realistic hand-to-face ratio on a character who does not have, say, a realistic eyes-to-nose ratio.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

macabresca posted:

In a setting of "girl who is the heiress of a family that owns 70% of the world's wealth" and "girl who can fluently speak five languages in addition to being a worldwide top tier musical prodigy" going to a school where "every single important person in Japan attends", he's the most realistic character ever depicted on the show. Dudes like this are a dime a dozen. It's called patriarchy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sankara posted:

In a setting of "girl who is the heiress of a family that owns 70% of the world's wealth" and "girl who can fluently speak five languages in addition to being a worldwide top tier musical prodigy" going to a school where "every single important person in Japan attends", he's the most realistic character ever depicted on the show. Dudes like this are a dime a dozen. It's called patriarchy.

Technically this was their Junior high. IIRC for Japan's school system I think maybe there was maybe a more diverse group of students for the junior high but the exams for the highschool is what weeds out those not having the socio-economic status to hire tutors/spend less time working part time more time studying?

Shirogane is an example of someone who HAD to work excessively and unhealthily hard to get in AND be Student Council President off of entirely only his own bootstraps. Only four hours of SLEEP a DAY.

I also think in the modern era (compared to say, the early Meiji era) the school is probably more diverse than usual, but probably still has the reputation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given that comics and wrestling are having massive scandals with people as lovely or worse than the guy in this weeks episode as well in other field, no Boyfriend being a huge rear end in a top hat makes perfect sense

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Technically this was their Junior high. IIRC for Japan's school system I think maybe there was maybe a more diverse group of students for the junior high but the exams for the highschool is what weeds out those not having the socio-economic status to hire tutors/spend less time working part time more time studying?

Shirogane is an example of someone who HAD to work excessively and unhealthily hard to get in AND be Student Council President off of entirely only his own bootstraps. Only four hours of SLEEP a DAY.

I also think in the modern era (compared to say, the early Meiji era) the school is probably more diverse than usual, but probably still has the reputation.

I get that it was humor but it still felt pretty gross to me that Kaguya didn't really like Shirogane when he was actually well rested.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

I get that it was humor but it still felt pretty gross to me that Kaguya didn't really like Shirogane when he was actually well rested.

Yeah I've never liked that chapter/skit. One of the weakest ones in the series, in my opinion.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah I've never liked that chapter/skit. One of the weakest ones in the series, in my opinion.

I think we're supposed to interpret it as, yes, Kaguya obviously still likes Shiragane, but she also has a type and was just momentarily flustered because it's kinda of a very sudden forced realization of that, and being a dumb teenager had basically an anxiety attack doubting herself.

Its like, what if you liked redheads, but didn't realize it was redheads until your... (People suggest partner? Whats right word?) partner? Significant other? Person of interest? Romantic interest/person they're seeing. Showed up dying their hair blond and you get this momentary shock that also since being young and stupid, is probably difficult to grapple with and separate out your preferences from the person you're currently into.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

macabresca posted:

Yeah, he’s an unmitigated douchebag in a series that otherwise does a pretty good job of giving everyone believable motivations.

But who knows, he may turn up again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He does have believable motivations. Fun, sex and profit.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
drat, what a good episode

gently caress i hope a season three comes down the pipe

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I have faith that we're getting quite a bit more Kaguya. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it just kept going until the manga ends, there's enough of a lead right now to comfortably do two more seasons, and even if they put out a season a year by then there would be enough manga road ahead to do a fifth.

I've only heard good things and there isn't really a good competitor that I know of in the proper "romantic comedy" vein, since so many anime veer further towards romance or comedy and this feels like it's right in the sweet spot.

The closest anime I can recall to this in overall style was Ore Monogatari, which ended after 24 episodes without adapting the entire manga and also had a live action film.

...But I'm sure Kaguya will play out differently! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Sankara posted:

The thing is though that in majority of fiction I know if the character like that appears it's always in this specific context, i.e. the main character, an outsider, likes a girl and this girl has an rear end in a top hat boyfriend but only the mc knows that and because of that he's bullied by the boyfriend while the girl remains blissfully unaware and usually unharmed. Whereas in reality the women are the victims. It makes the girl seem like just a subject of contention between the guys and her abusive relationship is mc's drama.

I'm probably overthinking it though. Death to patriarchy and many hugs to Ishigami