Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Dabir posted:

A good Kaguya face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think the problem was the timing and storyboarding: I would have cut/zoomed-in to the intense closeup and THEN have the narrator declare, 'THAT WAS A LIE.'

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it wasn't skipped over, the manga didn't go into the specifics of ishigami's backstory until chapter 80-something or so

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Grouchio posted:

Why did the Ramen chapter have to be animated anyway? For what purpose?
aka insisted on it because it's one of his favorites

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sindai posted:

Extremely sad we didn't get the Chika vs Ai chapter.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the explanation is more simple in that most students don't care and are voting for the person in their year combined with name recognition.
Yeah, I think it's this. Academic performance is prized at Shuchiin (all the hubbub when it looked like Shirogane (#1) was going to publicly confess to Kaguya (#2)), so being the top student amongst the 1st-years, Miko would have a leg up on anyone else in her grade.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZuOjNKJ0s

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab posted:

Still waiting for Ch 36 to be adapted
my expectations for the kaguya anime have finally been fulfilled, the rest is gravy

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Because 'social distancing' has overt connotations to a catastrophe that is negatively affecting billions, I think the term will be put on ice until the next highly contagious pandemic

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It took three weeks for OP2 to overtake OP1, plus it has that funny walk cycle and the emphasis on a particular syllable when it cuts to a close-up of kaguya

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

The random moaning oh my God I can't breath.
https://i.imgur.com/jZXJY8a.mp4

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The story of a society that would rather protect someone with the social worth of Ogino over an outcast like Ishigami is not exactly far-fetched.

If this show was an edgy drama as opposed to a gag-centric romcom, it would've had different kind of resolution.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm positioning "edgy drama" and "gag-centric romcom" at opposite ends of the fiction spectrum, real life would be somewhere in the middle where some situations end peacefully and some don't.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If a writer creates a moderately exaggerated world where someone as heroically benevolent as Shirogane can exist, then logically that writer could also see how someone as manipulatively evil as Ogino (or for that matter, Shinomiya's family) could fit in there as well. I'm not expecting a low-key, sober comedy whenever I fire up another episode and so it goes with the drama; as to how effective it was is wholly your taste, but I feel the situation's nightmarish depiction worked as an extension of the values & tone of the series, rather than an antithesis. It can be argued that the resolution is in many respects a deus ex machina, but the foundation of the show had already established that the StuCo members engage in 5D mindgames in their daily squabbles, so when it comes time to put their heads together & do some real council work, they can accomplish extraordinary things.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Ootomo's an airy dumbass and Ogino was a scumbag with a talent for directing the narrative who knew how to milk it for all it's worth. It's not that contrived, especially since it's Ishigami who had the same kind of warped justice as Miko Iino did back in the day.
It's certainly an odd way to tell a story to, with the catharsis coming about through an alternative pathway. From an outsider's perspective who only consumed the "established media narrative", one person got hurt and the one who suffered consequences wholeheartedly deserved them; the story behind the story would probably be read as some writer's flight of fancy. I think what carries a lot of weight for it, though, is Ishigami's insistent insistence that he wasn't doing it to get rewarded by Ootomo, that he acted extraordinarily in a manner befitting of his strong moral compass mated to a raw, immature sense of justice, a foolhardy but genuine white knight. As to whether he was entirely honest with himself about his own feelings might be different story, though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 29, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sydin posted:

Planning on binging the second season this weekend, but so far this is a banger.
welcome to the fold, it only gets better from here

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it's something that gets its own arc much later in the manga, beyond what s3 will encompass

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Arbite posted:

So what is Kyoto University's long slogan then?

Sindai posted:

I also really want to know this now
pulled from reddit:

japanese blog explaining it: https://web.archive.org/web/20160702003523/https://eicear.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/06/21/212134

for the record, this is what the scanlators localized it as when the chapter first came out:

and this is what i assume is closer to a more literal translation from viz:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The funny thing is that all the stuff in today's finale happened in the manga at around the time the Chika dance became a meme. So all us manga readers were sitting around thinking "Oh, wouldn't it be great if the anime team stuck around long enough to take the helm for these moments to come?" And now, years later, they have

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Buffis posted:

Is there something haram about showing kisses in anime, or what was the deal with the balloons covering the screen?
happened exactly like that in the manga, author had his reasons which will likely be elaborated upon with this future anime... thing

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1575153359476211713
Kaguya-sama: Love is War -The First Kiss Never Ends- to screen theatrically in Japan this winter and then will air on TV

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
movie will follow from the end of season 3, to be released theatrically in japan on dec 17, then airing on japanese tv soon after. america will get it in select theaters feb 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sydin posted:

Right so I've watched the movie episodes and as somebody who's adored this series from the word go: this movie loving sucks. This whole plot arc loving sucks. Shirogane and Kaguya finally confessed and admitted they love one another. We absolutely did not need this return to the status quo. Just have the goddamn courage to move the story onward with them in a relationship without having to spin the wheels for another eternity for the most arbitrary reasons.

Like I'm sorry, I really was 100% with this series up till now, but this is just terrible and lazy. I can't even enjoy the comedy bits because the premise is so hosed. I recently started reading You and I are Polar Opposites, and I appreciate just how much it's willing to hook the main characters up ASAP and actually explore the facets of that relationship, both good and bad. This Kaguya arc by contrast just feels like more status quo for the sake of status quo even after what should have been a major development that moves the story forward. I ended up skipping through a bunch of it because I have zero goddamn patience for more will-they-wont-they shenanigans after the main couple should have by all accounts already hooked up. I really hope this is not indicative of how the rest of the story is because this was absolutely loving awful.
With the conclusions you drew from this movie, you sure as poo poo did