Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Only took 27 episodes for the best character to take center stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That episode was ballin

Despite how great the rap part was, my favorite moment in the episode is Maki boiling her own tea out of frustration before asking for more. Such a small and silly visual flourish gag to add from that moment in the manga.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Fujiwara is completely honest and trustworthy emotionally, but completely and shamelessly dishonest procedurally. She'll explain exactly why she wants something and won't conceal her feelings from anyone, but she'll pull any dirty trick in the book to get what she wants and she doesn't even really seem to understand that other people do in fact have ethics.

In other words, she's a politician.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

the swing from charming and confident to complete and utter mess is so drat funny every time

Maki truly is the best :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I’ll put this in spoiler tags just in case regarding Nagisa It is heavily implied, moreso in a particular side chapter segment that may or may not ever get animated, that the person Nagisa is the MOST possessive of is in fact Maki herself. To the point where she ends up copying all of her interests. The joke being that Tsubasa himself is one of those “interests” she copies unknowingly.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

All the ones in that clip are I think. There is a lot of stuff that builds on what happens in the manga as well.

Honestly it's a brilliant adaptation because it's both very faithful to the spirit of the manga but all adds something new.

One of the biggest strengths of the adaptation is how it uses references and shout outs, not for their own sake, but for accenting the emotional state of the characters or the mood and tone of the scene. All while telling funny jokey jokes in the process.

Like the end of episode 9 which takes a standard dialogue and setup scene from the manga and frames it as a stock "found footage" horror film, punctuated by the sudden and direct short recreation of the most famous scene of the most famous found footage film of all time, Blair Witch Project. It's not framed this way just to be funny or to punch up the visuals in a surface level fashion. The visual shorthand of using found footage when introducing the haunted house featured in the next episode is obvious enough, but it's extra applicable in this specific context because the joke is "Maki plays it cool in front of her friend and crush->She's actually easily scared and utterly horrified of taking part" and the direct juxtaposition with the Apology scene in BWP is just the most perfect and bombastic way to convey to what extent Maki just really does not want to do this.

It's so nice to see because "referential" humor gets a bad rap these days for completely understandable reasons, so it's nice to see material that understands why that style of humor was useful and effective in the first place and to execute it in such a wonderful way. There's true creativity and passion that comes through and it permeates the entire three season run of this show. It's just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sydin posted:

Right so I've watched the movie episodes and as somebody who's adored this series from the word go: this movie loving sucks. This whole plot arc loving sucks. Shirogane and Kaguya finally confessed and admitted they love one another. We absolutely did not need this return to the status quo. Just have the goddamn courage to move the story onward with them in a relationship without having to spin the wheels for another eternity for the most arbitrary reasons.

Like I'm sorry, I really was 100% with this series up till now, but this is just terrible and lazy. I can't even enjoy the comedy bits because the premise is so hosed. I recently started reading You and I are Polar Opposites, and I appreciate just how much it's willing to hook the main characters up ASAP and actually explore the facets of that relationship, both good and bad. This Kaguya arc by contrast just feels like more status quo for the sake of status quo even after what should have been a major development that moves the story forward. I ended up skipping through a bunch of it because I have zero goddamn patience for more will-they-wont-they shenanigans after the main couple should have by all accounts already hooked up. I really hope this is not indicative of how the rest of the story is because this was absolutely loving awful.

A little late but I'm here to laugh at you and mock you relentlessly.

The adaptation of this arc was everything I wanted it to be.