Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My dumb student council children are back and dumber than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I love those moments when Ishigami is a bro to Kaguya and vice-versa. Of course it must always be unwittingly in his case because The Fear must be maintained at all costs.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Moeha is the extremely perfect example of how to correctly portray the "moeblob with creepy boundary issues around other girls" character archetype.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Even though I know I'm following the manga the entire second half of the episode made me so sad. I want my student council of morons to be together forever and don't want to think of anything to the contrary.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Star-gazing segment was done literally perfectly.

Shirogane obliviously dorking out about astronomy to a girl who's obviously into you hit a little too close to home for me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I am so so happy now that Hayasaca has joined the ranks of neurotic morons that make up the rest of the cast. Seeing this week's episode animated exceeded all of my expectations so I hope we get like however many more seasons of this we need to cover the entire manga.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that the Japanese national anthem or do all schools have their own anthem? And can I find it on youtube?

One thing I wonder about if the Fujiwara segment might've had a little more emotion in it, because japanese voice talent probably goes through hell and back doing voice training. So Fujiwara's va is probably channeling some pent up emotions. :D

It's a school thing I'm pretty sure. I've seen it in other shows; I remember the one in Joshikousei no Mudazukai being pretty funny.

Fujiwara having to teach Shirogane how to do things is her eternal penance for hilariously throwing a wrench in everyone's plans.

I'm really happy about Ishigami becoming more and more of a good dude this season. I can't wait for the later stuff if they can manage to get to it this season.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also Hayasaka's hand gestures at the end of the latest episode prove she's a connoisseur of Canadian comedy ensembles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

I'm glad I'm not the only person who believed this. I thought I was misinterpreting it as something else at first, but with the hydraulic press thing I can totally see that being the intention.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If it felt like this week's episode is short make sure you watch after the credits, there's a whole additional act there that's incredible.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Subject F's purpose is to be the embodiment of chaos. "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry", and that's all thanks to Chika.

Miko gets to witness all the insanity for what it is while occasionally being unwittingly roped into it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Remember that, while certainly talented, Fujiwara is actually kind of a crappy student.

Isn't that the fault of her awful, awful friends though?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

If by friends you mean Kaguya and Shirogane trying to sabotage each other, yeah.

How dare you imply that Kaguya and Chika aren't the best of friends.

This is making me want to re-read the manga to see the gags they skipped that I've forgotten. The scene where Fujiwara meets with the boys after leaving the ramen shop is great, and I think someone talking about it is what got me to start reading it in the first place.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love this show but I hope Ino integrates more eventually.

It was the same thing with Ishigami in the first season and he's become well developed as a character, and seems to be continuing to do so with what he's doing at the end of this episode. Give it time and the same thing will most likely happen with Iino.

That said, her reaction this time at the end was fantastic. Just, nope, don't want to deal with this right now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just realized that Kaguya is doing her calming technique at the end of the OP.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

That was an incredible goddamn episode. I was ready to declare it peaked at Peanuts but it just kept getting better. That fighting game scene destroyed me.

When Kaguya slammed her leg down to stop Shirogane from getting up I lost it.

Much like with Ishigami, I'm worried that BDSM queen Kaguya is going to awaken something inside of me. The equipment shed in Iino's imagination was so hilarious.

https://i.imgur.com/EfClxdY.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ROpaXKP.mp4

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There was also that live action movie that came out last year. Dunno if it was any good though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

I mean, yeah, but it still feels distinctly Kaguya-ish.

It's also good for the Sho Hirano joke in the manga.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bitchy Chika is so powerful, yet she still wasn't the most powerful character to appear in this episode.

This whole arc is even better animated than I was expecting it to be. I'm looking forward to the finale, but I'm sad about it ending because we have to wait at least another year for more Kaguya.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/gfjnGNl.mp4
Kaguya and Chika in the background are my favorite part.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Such a good episode. The show is doing an amazing job of making me go through the same feelings I had when reading the manga all over again.

I can see people not liking the lack of comedy in this one, but the character building is worth it, especially for all the stuff that comes afterwards when we get a third season.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Kyoko did nothing wrong. With the information she had of course she hates Ishigami.

Showing up at his school just to twist the knife is a pretty rear end in a top hat move, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

She was meeting up with her friends. She was going to the Middle School version of this school. She was just too dumb to pass the placement exam.

I know that. She also walked up to Yu to poo poo on him and heckled him at the race, which like I said is an rear end in a top hat move. Good on him for telling her dumb rear end off.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Inflammatory posted:

one other thing the episode cut was that (possible spoilers i guess if they're just moving the scene somewhere else?) iino complained to the staff about ishigami's punishment being excessive, which apparently convinced them to let him attend high school and is also what drew the student council's attention to the whole thing.

Some of that was in the previous episode, but only the bits from Osaragi's point of view. There was also that drawing right before the credits of this week's episode of the council starting their investigation, and I liked the softer artstyle they used for it. Seeing Chika also being in on it is sweet, because knowing what Yu's been through and helping him out, only to tease and bully him later is some powerful big sister energy.

Looking back at it the section with Miyuki's dad at the end of the last episode is a great segue into this one, especially watching it back to back. For both Kaguya and Yu they've been opening themselves up to the possibility that there are good, caring people out there, and that looking down on others isn't a healthy way to go about life. The way they portrayed that at the end of this episode was wonderful.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was wondering if they were gonna get to the broken phone chapter, and the way they did it was a good way to end the season I thought. It felt like Joshikosei no Mudazukai where the climax was in the second-last episode with the finale pivoting back to the primary main characters with a sweet story that goes back to its roots of petty scheming.

They alluded to it in a previous episode but Hayasaka acting like a geek in public is delightful. Ishigami is also a hottie when he cleans himself up; the two of them would probably get along pretty well if Hayasaka can act like her unguarded self.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

And we knew about her school friends from previous episodes. She was dancing with them in last season's finale before all hell broke loose as should continue to happen with every subsequent finale.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Dang, I was hoping they would go into the Christmas party for the festival organizers, that's was where the real good poo poo is. I think I stopped reading the manga right after this because season 2 was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yawgmoft posted:

I mean the manga also skipped both of those things and then circled back later.

Could be the case, it's been so long since reading it I can't remember. I think I stopped when Ishigami decides to be Miko's caretaker after she breaks her leg.

I know absolutely nothing about anything past that point, but (speculation) the hack fraud way to end the story that I would still absolutely be completely happy with is Shirogane and Kaguya wrapping up their plotline and graduate, Miko gets elected president and insists on Ishigami becoming VP (because he's so good with finances, you see), and it's implied that what's old is new again with another pair of stupid, stupid people.