Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why? You may ask.

After all, it's nice to be able to plan ahead and know you have decent seats waiting for you. In concept, this is a good idea. However, it doesn't always work like that.

In my area, every single theater has converted to 100% reserved seating with recliners. This has removed roughly 2/3 of the seats. 1/2 the rows are gone and each row has fewer seats. Because of this, any interesting film sells out well in advance on weekends. The last four or five times a film has come out that we wanted to see, we ended up skipping it because we couldn't find seats. And yes, we could plan a few days out but who really wants to do that for a movie? On a Saturday afternoon, it's nice to just show up at the theater, get a tub of popcorn and some soda and just watch a movie. But nope. Can't do that any more.

This is a totally broken system.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I guess I won't see the Spider Man film until it's on streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Reserved seating is the best thing to happen to movie theaters since the silent era ended.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I always book my seats behind op so I can breath on his neck and generally creep on him.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

fishing with the fam posted:

Reserved seating is the best thing to happen to movie theaters since the silent era ended.

No

gently caress the talkies

It won’t let you leave an individual space between seats so you gotta sit right next to some weird stranger, which actually makes you the weirdo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Linux Pirate posted:

I always book my seats behind op so I can breath on his neck and generally creep on him.

That's actually the only thing I like about these things.

It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't converted every single theater. But they did it to the small ones, too so now there are like 20 seats in some of them. And when a big film comes out it's just a mess.

The odd thing is, I live in the Bay Area and most of it isn't this way. It's just my little pocket. San Francisco still has mostly normal theaters last I checked.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
They turned the cheap seat theatre where I live into The Deluxe Movie Experience where they bring you food and drinks and poo poo for $$$$

It loving sucks because now you’re forced to see a movie when it’s a new release if you want to see it in theatres at all instead of waiting to see if it’s worth seeing and paying next to nothing to see it, also way less crowded

But what really grinds my gears is the ads they play before movies- and I’ve never heard a single person complain about this so apparently we all consented to it with our silence which is hosed up in any circumstance

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We have the same issue at our theaters and the last movie I wasnt able to get a ticket for the day of was Dr Strange which is at least a year ago

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There’s something offensive about being a captive audience to these stupid cutesy/clever commercials at 180db with no way out

At least with tv or a computer you can turn off your monitor, like I have right now

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

My local theater is far too low class for something like reserved seating and I have never had a problem finding seats. Maybe see your movies in a shittier area, op?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DamnitGannet posted:

My local theater is far too low class for something like reserved seating and I have never had a problem finding seats. Maybe see your movies in a shittier area, op?

Or just order the tickets in advance? If it's that important to him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok, OP, i'll bear that in mind

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

DamnitGannet posted:

Hehe there’s always the downtown theatre where you only have to pay eight bucks, because you’re sharing your still-fabric covered seat with a nice little bedbug :twisted:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The only thing I don't like is theaters doing reserved seating and then cheaping out on the recliners and crappy food options but charging the same as the nicer reserved seating theaters.

Theres a place I've been to a couple time with friends that had the electronic recliners and the tray that holds your snacks and drink was practically a goddamn table. And youd need it cause they sold whole pizzas not the tiny pan sized ones. Or you could get a pretzel the size of a pizza, which divides up nicely for three people.

The place I live now has tiny recliners that have the latch, have the same old cup holders built into the arms and no tray to hold snacks, and the food is all standard 'middle school bag of chips'-sized tortilla chips and a smear of nacho cheese in a tiny cup and dry bland popcorn without all those fancy sprinkle on flavors or butter dispensers.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Assigned seating sucks when you get stuck by a bunch of speds or kids and the only way to switch seats is to leave and get tickets for another showing.

Also having to sit directly next to a stranger and having them drink from the wrong cup.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

There’s something offensive about being a captive audience to these stupid cutesy/clever commercials at 180db with no way out

At least with tv or a computer you can turn off your monitor, like I have right now

I just turn up half an hour after the programme starts then we don’t have to watch the stupid ads. Also I always book a pair of seats with one the aisle seat. I take that one and have my wife as a barrier between me and the stranger in the third seat in. That’s how you win at cinema.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You have to be a complete loving idiot to dislike reserved seats, like, just massively stupid, almost completely unfathomably dumb

Yes OP, let’s go back to camping outside the theatre for 3 days so you can sit slightly back, slightly middle for the phantom menace

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Movie theaters suck.

But I don't understand why someone would think having less people in the movie theater would actually be a bad thing.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
just olo if u breath other peopels expelled air in a sealed room whilst a large version of what you can watch at home shows on a giant annoying screen

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

You have to be a complete loving idiot to dislike reserved seats, like, just massively stupid, almost completely unfathomably dumb

Yes OP, let’s go back to camping outside the theatre for 3 days so you can sit slightly back, slightly middle for the phantom menace

Yeah this too, good point.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Alamo drafthouse is the best movie theater experience and one of the few things I'm proud of austin for. Before each movie, there's a custom pre show (anything related to the movie which can be stuff from YouTube or a recap of all the marvel movies before infinity war - 0 ads). The food isn't as good as some of the other dine in theaters but that's OK. Full bar, gently caress yes. You can tattle on people for talking or loving around on your phone. I've done it and it works. Part of the pre show is literally a sign that says "we'll kick you the gently caress out if you're a oval office, shut up"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Richard M Nixon posted:

Alamo drafthouse is the best movie theater experience and one of the few things I'm proud of austin for. Before each movie, there's a custom pre show (anything related to the movie which can be stuff from YouTube or a recap of all the marvel movies before infinity war - 0 ads). The food isn't as good as some of the other dine in theaters but that's OK. Full bar, gently caress yes. You can tattle on people for talking or loving around on your phone. I've done it and it works. Part of the pre show is literally a sign that says "we'll kick you the gently caress out if you're a oval office, shut up"

I've got a really deep voice so usually a firm "Shut the gently caress up." gets the job done.

I don't know how the gently caress people can be so inconsiderate, one of the most basic rules of etiquette is don't talk in the movie theater and people just flagrantly ruin it for others. Most pissy I ever got was during A Quiet Place where a film that really emphasized silence had morons talking over extremely quiet scenes ten minutes in, squirted out the most demanding "Stop talking." I've ever squirted in my life that day.

Edit: Oh wait nah the pissiest I ever got was during Hereditary at people giggling and going ew over some full frontal male nudity near the end and I got so pissed I just yelled out "IT'S A loving COCK WE'VE ALL SEEN ONE BEFORE."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 30, 2018

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Do it ironically posted:

Look at this idiot who camped out for Phantom Menace :allears:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Opening screenings/midnight sneak previews are the movie equivalent of preordering a game (see: stupid and unnecessary)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

No

gently caress the talkies

It won’t let you leave an individual space between seats so you gotta sit right next to some weird stranger, which actually makes you the weirdo

Yeah I guess if you're a friendless loser who sees movies alone this might be a problem, lmao

Also I literally just got home from Spiderverse at a theater with reserved seats. It was $7 for a ticket.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

I like to choose the time AND place of where i get shot, op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The inverse of me getting mad at people talking during movies is when people get mad at little kids getting excited and verbally reacting to movies that are directly marketed towards kids.

Like if you go to see the new Wreck-It Ralph and get pissy at the kids for making noise as they're sitting there in awe and absolute joy, appreciating the movie in a way our grown, boring adult brains can't anymore, then you're just a miserable piece of poo poo. Go watch it at home.

Literally funniest moviegoing experience I've ever had was The Last Jedi and the only sound coming from the audience was a kid emitting a powerful "EW WHATS WRONG WITH HIM!!" when Kylo Ren was shirtless lmao.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why do people go to movies if they're going to spend the entire time browsing their goddamn phone in a dark theatre

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Enfys posted:

Why do people go to movies if they're going to spend the entire time browsing their goddamn phone in a dark theatre

This is how people spend every waking moment of their lives dude. Why'd they do anything different in a cinema?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I like those theaters that have the big leather seats on a balcony thing so you can feel above the regular seat people. You pay a few bucks extra and they expect you to eat dinner up there and buy their "fancy" popcorn, but you don't have to, just show up at the time you normally would after they stop trying to sell you 6 chicken tenders for 18 dollars and bring the popcorn and drinks from downstairs. They will give you looks but gently caress them, it's not against the rules.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Enfys posted:

Either the movie gets to a slow part and they can't focus and need to find more engaging stimulus, or they desperately feel the need to check if someone has messaged them or they have Facebook or Insta notifications or people will hate them for being digitally quiet for two hours.

My partner is like that with the stimulus part but thankfully they are considerate and just suck it up at the theater.

I have a sensory perception disorder so all this kind of stuff is super aggravating to me. Theaters are basically so sound proofed that even with the movie blasting at top volume during an action scene you can still hear someone in the audience whispering.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I buy reserved seating specifically to teach procrastinators an important lesson in the value of planning ahead

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I, too, prefer my movie theater seat to be surrounded by moist strangers on three sides, have a small child kicking the back of my seat for the entire runtime of avatar 4, and have to disturb 20 people if I need to leave the aisle during the movie

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I saw infinity war in theaters approx. two hours after my grandmas funeral service with a ridiculous daytime hangover and that enormous recliner was the greatest thing in the world at that time

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Why I he gently caress are you paying theater prices to see movies? Everyone has a big rear end tv at home now.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Bananaquiter posted:

Assigned seating sucks when you get stuck by a bunch of speds or kids and the only way to switch seats is to leave and get tickets for another showing.

Also having to sit directly next to a stranger and having them drink from the wrong cup.

I went to see Spider-Verse today and sat next to a couple women that smelled of BO and cat piss to an eye-watering level and loudly talked about what comic every single thing that showed up was from and described what was happening in each scene while it was happening to each other the entire movie. That was pretty awesome.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

"Spider man is going to get bit by the spider. Oh yep, he got bit by the spider."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

EvilJoven posted:

Why I he gently caress are you paying theater prices to see movies? Everyone has a big rear end tv at home now.

counterpoint: who doesn't have 20 dollars to spend frivolously on something you enjoy at all times?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

counterpoint: who doesn't have 20 dollars to spend frivolously on something you enjoy at all times?

Counterpoint

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I went to see Spider-Verse today and sat next to a couple women that smelled of BO and cat piss to an eye-watering level and loudly talked about what comic every single thing that showed up was from and described what was happening in each scene while it was happening to each other the entire movie. That was pretty awesome.

Yep definitely would have enjoyed paying $20 for that experience rather than watching it in the comfort of my own home.

Also gently caress you for assuming that in our late stage capitalist nightmare everyone on these dead gay forums can throw away $20 for a lovely time.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
How do goons always get stuck next to the loud talkers and cat pee people????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Skypie posted:

How do goons always get stuck next to the loud talkers and cat pee people????

The cat pee is on the goon, they just don't know it.